Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2018, 22:15   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Sable – My 2018 Tata Safari Storme EX. EDIT: 40,000 km and 2 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
Hi predatorwheelz,

Congratulations on acquiring this mammoth of a vehicle! The Safari outshines almost everything this side of Rs. 15 lakhs in terms of space and comfort.

Your review is very well put together. All observations are on point.
Thank you so much for the wishes. Quashes my fears that the review was too long, or verbose.

Quote:
you shall never underestimate the value of airbags.
Ok, if you say so. (Right hand raised) I hereby swear that I shall never underestimate the value of airbags.

Quote:
Anyway, wish you a trouble-free journey ahead with the Safari. Do keep the thread updated
Thank you. The thread will be updated periodically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
Many many congratulations Aniket.
A very detailed review and equally good reasoning for selection of Safari. Your thread would certainly convince quite a few to take the plunge but many would consider Hexa instead. My brother recently got the same.

The great thing about your cars or thread is longevity and upkeeps, be it service or modifications. Will look forward to same here as well.
Rated well deserved 5 star.
Thank you so much dada. We stay in the same society, but don't meet often. By the way I was thinking of giving you a treat for Sable, then realized your treat for the Endy is still pending!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Congratulations!
You just made up my mind for the replacement when I have to give up the Tucson.
Thanks. Great to know I've influenced your decision. Do give it a good TD before buying though, to know whether you can really live with the bulk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
She looks lovely, and I'm glad you didn't buy the white one. They have a tendency to get stolen around election times in our Pradesh.
Yes, the upcoming 2019 elections are worrying me too. Will probably use Predator on a daily basis (if it's still allowed in NCR) while Sable will take a nice, long break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post
Heartiest Congrats on getting the beast home and welcome to the club buddy!!

Thanks for such a nice and detailed write-up; reading it felt so familiar, I could relate to many thoughts I myself had felt when I got mine in 2016, specially the selection process. This is one car which tugs at your heart like no other, even after 2 decades!! Wish you a million happy and trouble free miles with Sable; drive safe!
Thank you so much for the wishes. Why don't you have an ownership thread?

Quote:
I'd a hearty laugh reading the above; no better way to sumup the space inside a Safari.
Haha. I just wrote what was heartfelt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Congrats for your new SUV. Wish you 1,000's of happy miles. Quite a detailed and comprehensive ownership report.
Thank you so much brother. We spoke so many times before taking the plunge, er our respective plunges! When is your Duster ownership thread coming up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Do you plan to touch-up the minor scratches, as its a new car or planning to keep them as it is for the unruly traffic?
Will try some scratch remover or wax polish first. Then take professional help if it doesn't work out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcupine View Post
Congratulations on your new Safari! That colour looks fantastic!

Without a doubt one of the best options in the price range in my opinion, and that road presence is nearly unparalleled even after all these years! Wishing you many safe and happy miles!
Thank you so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Congratulations Predatorwheelz! That is a very detailed write-up about the buying decision that is straight from the heart. I never thought you would buy a Tata after all the discussions that we have been part of.
Thank you so much brother. Yes, after all those discussions even I find it unbelievable sometimes that I bought a Tata. Hope my second innings of faith in the brand will not prove futile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
I wanted to buy a Safari in 2011 but Tata dealer messed up, could not even provide a TD vehicle. I wanted to buy the Storme in 2014 but the 4x4 was beyond my budget. Hope I will get another opportunity.
Just how many more SUVs are you planning to buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Lovely write up! I remember when Safari was launched and I saw it for the first time in a showroom, I was gobsmacked. There is nothing else that I wanted more at the time. It still pulls away at my heart strings but I am not in India anymore. Perhaps, if I decide to come back, I know what car I am buying.

P.S. I don't care about touchscreen, powered seats yada yada. Safari is a pure heart's purchase.
Thank you. I agree with your last sentence. There is no concrete reason why I bought the Safari, except that it was a decision made with the heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I must say that you are a brave man to buy a Safari today. Nothing wrong with it and I see why it appeals even today. The design still has a lot going for it, if you are in to SUV's. Its also relatively simple to sort with hardly any electronics aside from electronic engine control.

Great read.
Thank you so much. Yes even I don't like too many electronic nannies, especially when they go wrong.

Quote:
The Sierra, Estate era was nothing but truck engineering that went into a car. Outright crude, horribly put together vehicles. The noise the power window motor made reminded me of the noise of our legendary Sumeet mixer grinder, albeit running a lot slower. TATA's first attempt at cars clearly had no direction or concept of quality. They got their designs alright but they never understood the expectations of personal car ownership. I dread to think what it would have been like heading into a TATA service station 20 years ago.
I sympathize with you if you owned a Sierra or an Estate. An uncle owned an Estate. While it was a grand vehicle, it was a bucketload of niggles. He kept it longer than most Estate owners did. Ultimately he sold it to the scrapper. Couldn't find a buyer!

Quote:
The company has come along way. What they manufacture today are cars built with R&D. I bet some of that has gone in to keeping the Safari refreshed and a bit relevant even today.
For peace of mind's sake, I hope so too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Congrats on making your childhood dream a reality.

Reading through the posts, it seemed that this decision to get the safari was an 'all heart' decision', something achieved by a man, the 'magic carpet', which had him awestruck since he was a school going kid.

Wishing you endless miles of nothing but pleasureful drive with your new steed.
Thank you brother. Yes the Safari was a decision made with the heart. Though I did not remember the "one day" episode while buying, somewhere that young man was whispering to me to go for it.

Quote:
Only a couple of things did not gel with me - why did you chuck out the VX with the newer engine + safety kit when it was well in your budget? Was it just due to the gearbox?
Gearbox and price difference.

Firstly there's no safety "kit". Just 2 airbags. Both EX and VX come with ABS and all round disks. The remaining safety is just the size and body shell, irrespective of variant.

Secondly I gave a good thought to whether an additional 8 bhp and 80 NM of torque will really make so much of a difference. The TD car had the older 148bhp motor, and even that seemed adequate given that one cannot go track hunting with this giant. So when I read about issues with the new gearbox, I decided to save the 1.1 lakhs and go for the EX.

Quote:
Also - a big car does not need safety tech is not a right statement IMO - we do see a lot of these big SUVs in the accidents thread ending up in sorry state.
Point taken. I've already put my hand up and sworn that I shall not underestimate the value of airbags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Heartiest Congratulations Predatorwheelz. Nice writeup, good pics sums up your passion for the car.

Happy driving and mile munching. Drive safely.
Thank you so much.

Quote:
Sigh. My that "one day" dream is yet to realize. Since the time I knew about wheels, Safari had been my dream car. I have always considered the Safari to be the real SUV when compared to the recent explosions in the SUV segment. The car looks butch, has huge road presence and more importantly an Indian one.
Just take a good look at the pics in my thread and keep muttering "one day"! Just kidding.

Quote:
I felt the tyres to be a wee bit undersized for the car, any plans of upgrading them?
Frankly no. Within a few months of buying the Verna I had gone on a 2300 km trip, and realized that a car with this level of acceleration needs fatter and better tyres. So switched the stock 185/65 R14 Bridgestone B250s with 195/60 Yokohamas.

The Safari I've only driven till 120. Given the girth and CG of the vehicle, I use far gentle inputs than I did on the Verna. So till now not felt the need for fatter tyres.

Quote:
How is the body roll. Asking this coz a few days back I did see a Storme with a lot of body roll on the a broken patch, the guy wasn't able to negotiate the overtaking too. Any such experiences.
No such experiences. In both my highway trips the car proved more than capable of overtaking, if you time your move right and keep the engine on the boil. Body roll will be tremendous if you hustle the vehicle, and are not gentle with your inputs. But let's face it, the Safari is not a beginner's car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Congratulations on getting the beast home. Urban Bronze is pretty rare, like you mentioned safari = white color is pretty common.

TATA should have provided ABS and Airbags as standard across variants.
Thank you. Tata provides Airbags only on the VX, ABS and 4 disks on the VX and EX, and nothing on the LX. Confusing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Congratulations on your new Safari Storme. Like Sandeepmohan mentioned, you are brave to have bought the Safari in 2018 and fulfilled your childhood dream. The Storme in white looks quite plain Jane. It shows its true beauty in Urban bronze or black. Hope you have many happy miles in your truck.
Thank you so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Switching from a low slung sedan, how easy or difficult has it been so far? I have always eyed the Safari with dreamy lustful eyes since the day it was launched (I was a kid back then). However today, I still can't bring myself to buy one today, given its price, features, the huge size and lack of space in cities (last 2 reasons are major concerns than the former).
Except trying to drive fast in the hills, where I was genuinely disappointed, the Safari has kept up with everything the Verna would do. You just need to alter your inputs and understand the strengths of the vehicle.

There is driving in cities, and parking in cities. The former is actually easier in the Safari, because of that driving position and the respect that rickshaws and cabbies give to it.

Parking is difficult. Not only the girth of the vehicle, but many parking attendants refuse to admit you. Doesn't work with their slot machine philosophy. I have reserved parking both at home and office, so didn't need to worry on that count.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy View Post
Many Many congratulations on getting the only real "one day I'll get this for myself" Indian SUV !!!

There's nothing like the Safari. Period.
Sure, it is dated, big, heavy, boxy, LoF, no-touchscreen, no-sunroof, no DRLs, no ACC, no this, no that, but, drive one and you'll know there's nothing like it.
Thank you. Yes, I agree. Drive one and you'll know there's nothing like it! What is LoF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy View Post
I chose the VX Pearl White, because the dealer wouldn't commit on delivery date for Black. And once I had made up my mind, I simply couldn't wait.
I did read your ownership thread, and admired the cleaning job that you did. But I see you're too "lazy" to update the thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityvic View Post
Many congratulations on your new ride Aniket Da. Car desperately needs a nice set of new number plates.

Let's catch up next time you are in Calcutta.
Thanks brother. Are you back from the US already?

The number plates were fitted by the dealer, and they did a shoddy job. I've been told that Noida MV will soon roll out HSRPs and all registered vehicles will be called to get them fitted. So holding on the current plates for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCynic View Post
Congratulations on the decision to buy a Safari. My dad currently owns his 2nd Safari (a 2014 Storme) and if they come with a nice update I am sure he will buy it a third time. Nothing comes close to its ride quality and road presence under 20lakh. The only other SUVs that evoked similar excitement in me are the old Pajero, Tata Sierra, old Nissan Patrol (around 2000 model year) and older Land Cruisers. The newer SUVs are too sleek and sophisticated like sedans.
Thank you. I've met people like you who sell Safaris to buy Safaris. Given my initial ownership experience, I can now see why.

Yes, the modern SUVs are indistinguishable from Sedans in every way except for ride height. But that's why the market laps them up. Ride height of an SUV without the disadvantages of a true SUV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCynic View Post
I only disagree with you on one point that I think the original Safari is still the best looking one.
I didn't say the current version of Safari is the best looking. I said the GRILLE is the best looking of all the grilles. The Safari looked much much better in its older avatar, with the spare mounted on the tailgate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Well, you are the 3rd 2018 storme owner in TeamBHP.
4th. You, me, Seek and Lazy. 2 EXs and 2 VXs. 3 Pearl whites and 1 Urban Bronze.

Quote:
I own a 2018 white VX (I wanted urban bronze to match my ciaz but VX in white was readily available and urban bronze would have had me wait for 2 months)
I've read your ownership thread multiple times. It was a great start, but you don't update it now. Sob sob.

Quote:
Agreed clutch is light and the travel is long(as always in a safari). I also had issue with fuel lid not opening in a single press of the button. But I figured it out that multiple presses(mostly 2) works in my storme. Storme is a lovely car and I do enjoy driving it. The turbo lag gets you initially but then it's a beast(more so with the 156PS version in mine)

BTW urban bronze is so unique but comes with the downside of scratches being visible very easily. Congratulations on the car !
I tried pressing the fuel lid multiple times today. Still didn't work.

Thank you for the wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BipB View Post
Congratulations dear Predatorwheelz,

Reclaim your life!
Thank you so much. I do plan to!

Quote:
You may need to make a small correction in the second line, storme was launched in 2012.
I know. I seem to have erroneously typed 2007 twice.

Quote:
From my experience, the monitor for the reverse cam is not really good. Mine gave up in 8 months. Replaced it with a Boyo 5" screen and is working fine ever since.

I am not sure about the acceleration issue you are facing. But the sound you hear on releasing the accelerator pedal quickly is something you will have to live with! Search for turbo flutter on net and most probably it should be the same sound you are referring to.
Thank you. These are useful tips. Now I know there is something called Boyo I can use, when my screen stops working.

I know what Turbo flutter is, but I don't think this sound is due to the same. Turbo flutter in no way makes fuel supply erratic. Plus as I said, the problem goes away on its own after 15 minutes. That's why I thought its a TPS problem. Electrical rather than mechanical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani0404 View Post
Congratulations Predatorwheelz on your new buy.! Storme definitely is leagues ahead in terms of advancements when compared to a Dicor.! I drive a 2007 Make Dicor 2.2 VTT myself and its about to turn 11 years next month with over a lakh km under its belt.

Nice to see a handful of people still inclined the old school boxy designs and simple interiors. Bless you with safe miles and 'Reclaim Your Life'.!
Thank you. I might bug you with a lot of questions concerning long term ownership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbits View Post
Great buy. Congrats. It easily matches with the road presence of SUVs upto 40 lakhs INR.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
Congratulations predatorwheelz !! The Safari looks awesome in that shade. Good to see that Sable made the religious trip to Binsar of which predator is a veteran.

Wish you many happy miles on Sable !!

Cheers,

Pawan
Thanks brother. Actually I'll let you in on a little secret. Predator isn't a "veteran" of the Binsar circuit. Of the 5 times I have gone there, first was in a friend's Honda City, twice in Basu's Bolero, and once in Sable. Predator only made one trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
The 'Make your own road' says it all, It was always considered, even the next time too it will be considered, there is something about a nice and shiny high riding rumble tumble SUV that makes it a cut above everything else on the road, be it any road.

You may notice that your paint repair jobs will cost a few times more than regular maintenance, that's just the way it is.

Having owned a Nano , and having to deal with many other Nanos and Indigos of friends and family, I found Concorde to be more responsive. Even when we had issues with their service, a complaint to tata customer care immediately sorts it out, very impressive.

Good to see that they come with the Dueler D689 as standard, excellent tires.

Wish you many miles of happy motoring.
Thank you. Your tip about Concorde is useful, will keep in mind if I face any issues with Sagar Motors. Otherwise, if their service lives up to the standard of their sales, I perhaps won't need to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALTIMAed View Post
Hi Aniket, Congratulations to you on the purchase of 'you childhood dream machine'. Hope a Noida Kolkata drive is on your immediate wish list.

By the way, get rid of the number plates for something more smart. The alpha numerics on the present plate look really horrible (personal taste).

Wishing you many smiles for every km you drive.
Thank you so much. Yes a Kolkata drive is on the cards, but after December.

The number plates were fitted by the dealer, and they did a shoddy job. I've been told that Noida MV will soon roll out HSRPs and all registered vehicles will be called to get them fitted. So holding on the current plates for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devansn View Post
Hi predatorwheelz. Congrats on your possession. The car looks a real beauty.

As someone already asked: was the gearbox the only reason why you did not go for VX? And why Hexa was not in your consideration? I feel its a much better package for only slightly higher price that was well within your budget anyways? Pardon my ignorance, apart from the road presence, is there any significant advantage I may be missing, in the Storme?
Thank you for the wishes. The reason for not choosing the VX I've already explained above.

You're the second person asking me why I didn't consider the Hexa. Actually when I went to TD the Safari the second time, the showroom guys also made me TD the Hexa. And it was an interesting contrast. The Hexa feels light years ahead of the Safari in terms of cabin design. Most upmarket plastics Tata has ever used. The Driver's seat is large, but much better side bolstered than the Safari. It also drives very different from the Safari. Truly a better package in all aspects.

But somehow while the Safari feels in a class of its own, the Hexa feels like the Innova went to the Gym and took some steroids. It wasn't cheap (XT 4X2 was 19 lakhs) and I didn't need the 7 seats. So stuck to the Safari.
predatorwheelz is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th October 2018, 23:35   #32

Hi predatorwheelz. Many many congratulations on your possession. Good to see you tested the beast straight in the Binsar hills.
As you have described your parking space, I advise you to go for the 3M PPF for both the bumper at least.
Wish you many happy miles !!
Old 4th October 2018, 23:40   #33
Senior - BHPian

This is called true love. Driving a Safari after driving a refined Verna is going to the other end of the spectrum. Wish you all thousands of happy kilometers.

I'm shocked Tata doesn't provide 2 airbags as standard on the lower versions. That's plain ridiculous in 2018.
Old 5th October 2018, 02:26   #34
BHPian

Quote:
1. View of the road. Hexa has a great view of the road, safari is just better
2. Sheer space. Hexa is a spacious 7 seater while Safari is an even more spacious 5 seater
3. Safari is not a van (storme is a safari offspring while hexa reminded me of aria)
Everything said, hexa is the better car if the above reasons don't matter to the buyer.
As an ex owner and an hardcore safari fan of all generations, i feel that people who bought storme after hexa launch, missed a trick. I consider both as 5 seaters and there is no proper 7 seater yet in india yet.

Biggest issue with safari was and is dynamics and gear box. This alone is enough for any driving enthusiast to sign a cheque for Hexa AT.The image is important but i'd rather compromise that than the above factors. All said and done, Tata improving tremendously on their new product offerings but continue to be worst in after sales. I also feel Tata has the worst logo which badly need improvisation.
Old 5th October 2018, 05:10   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As a person who contemplated hexa before storme vx purchase, the reasons I found storme better over hexa were

Everything said, hexa is the better car if the above reasons don't matter to the buyer.
The Safari has a cult status and the owners are can be compared to Royal Enfield owners on some levels. We all know that KTM 390 is more powerful, Bajaj Dominar is a worthy alternative which is competitively priced. REs have some issues with build, brakes, low power etc- but there are so many who are willing to wait long periods for waiting one.

It just shows how much a product pulls the strings of your heart- the Safari is one such car. Please lets not debate about Hexa/XUV vs Safari. OP has his reasons for buying the Safari over them.

I'd personally bought an Innova Crysta GX. To each his own!
Old 5th October 2018, 05:49   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
The Safari has a cult status and the owners are can be compared to Royal Enfield owners on some levels. We all know that KTM 390 is more powerful, Bajaj Dominar is a worthy alternative which is competitively priced. REs have some issues with build, brakes, low power etc- but there are so many who are willing to wait long periods for waiting one.

Obviously to each his own! And if we don't debate on that account, teambhp wouldn't exist.

Btw how is Safari comparable to enfields except the fact that they have a cult following? You make it sound as though safari is laden with niggles and comes with inferior tech like Enfield. If you fancy a touchscreen or other fancy electronic gadgetry I agree safari is not up to the mark. In what way is safari inferior to hexa or xuv to avoid a comparison? Storme gets the same 400Nm engine and 6 speed MT gearbox. We are not talking about AT as storme doesn't get one.

Even if you consider hexa as a 5 seater, please travel on both the safari and hexa on bad roads and tell us which was more comfortable. This one fact explains why there are some people who still go for the storme.
I am not even taking xuv into comparison. It is a maruti of utility vehicles - poor build quality and the recent cases of airbags failing to deploy.

People buy safari because it is more spacious than anything in the price range, more comfortable than anything in that price range and a few segments above, is built solid, can take years of abuse(6 years and 1.4 lakh km on worst roads in my case), very reliable 2.2 engine and has unparalleled road presence.

If you want to bring driving dynamics argument in a 5 seater purchase, why buy a big SUV or a MUV, get a spacious C2 or D sedan. Not a single SUV (specially safari) owner is disappointed that he can't take corners fast. It fits the requirements and people buy it. Simple!

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 5th October 2018 at 05:55.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 07:32   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Safari has a cult status and the owners are can be compared to Royal Enfield owners on "some levels."

Quote:
Obviously to each his own! And if we don't debate on that account, teambhp wouldn't exist.

Btw how is Safari comparable to enfields except the fact that they have a cult following?
Take it easy sir. Please see the highlighted part of my post- I clearly said "on some levels"

Safari has a lot of strengths going for it and Tata has updated the car. It is surely not the same car 20 years ago. But OTOH, Enfields haven't got many significant updates for decades. If it didn't have strengths, there'd be no reason for Tata to sell it today.

I don't have anything more to add, there are other threads to debate Hexa vs Safari vs XUV vs Innova Crysta. We can debate there or over PM. We're steering off course here!

Safari suited OP well and I wish him a great ownership experience.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 5th October 2018 at 07:35.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 09:15   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Many congratulations on the Safari. Back in 2009, when I was buying a 4x4, the choice was limited between a Safari and a Scorpio. Given the terrible ownership experiences of Safari owners (including that of Moderator tsk1979), I'd christened the vehicle as a Suffer-ye, and chose the lesser of the two evils, a Scorpio. After 9 years, Tata has certainly improved on many fronts, including quality control as well as after-sales service. Your new-found trust in the brand may well be the right choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Friend: Why not an SUV? Last month I tried to do the Spiti circuit by car. Had to turn back after Rekongpeo, the roads were so bad. With a high GC car, would have been able to complete the circuit. Plus you know how long we've been planning Ladakh.
Me: But SUVs are heavy, and have horrible road manners. You know how I drive the Verna.
Friend: Why don't you TD the duster? Its as nimble as a car, and that high GC helps.
Me (Brain buzzing): Yeah, why not? Let me get back to you. (Click).
Hence the plan to buy a sedan was shelved, and I started exploring SUVs.
So that's how the decision (to switch from a sedan to a SUV) happened! Ladakh, Lahaul & Spiti beckon! (I can imagine Samba going , because he made those circuits look easy in his Etios, while the Skoda Kodiaq with all its power and tech faced much trouble!)

Anyway, in this country, once you get used to an SUV, a sedan / hatchback feels a little terrifying. Oh, and do take care not to unmindfully trample on those little pseudo-SUVs in your path!!!
SS-Traveller is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 10:30   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

I have often observed that many are drawn to the SUV due to Safari and Scorpio, and then ends up buying XUV , duster , Creta, Innova, Hexa etc. most of them find them to be a bit intimidating to drive(poor driving Dynamics otherwise) , you need to relearn driving to ensure your occupants are safe and comfortable, driven this way they are more comfortable than Sedans , the sofa like seats and excellent thigh support themselves will do. But it needs a lot of patience to drive them without tossing people around even on seemingly flat roads. Taking turns, changing lanes etc needs to be planned like driving a water tanker.
Given the choice on offer , a Safari buyer wanted a Safari, a Scorpio buyer wanted a Scorpio. Nothing else will do.

As you can see in this forum, Safari is a conversation starter.
So in that sense it's similar to Harley or Enfield buyers, there are better vehicles surely.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 11:28   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you so much for the wishes. Why don't you have an ownership thread?
Too lazy to start one actually! But another thought also was to spend ample time with it, and then start a long-term ownership thread; might just start one soon as it has spent good enough time with me.

I am a regular on the V400 official thread though and have subscribed to almost all Storme threads now

Adding few pics of my steed; hope that's fine..
Attached Thumbnails
Sable – My 2018 Tata Safari Storme EX. EDIT: 40,000 km and 2 years-img_20170618_114208__01.jpg  

Sable – My 2018 Tata Safari Storme EX. EDIT: 40,000 km and 2 years-img_20180527_192056_01.jpg  

Sable – My 2018 Tata Safari Storme EX. EDIT: 40,000 km and 2 years-img_20180527_182915.jpg  

avinash_m is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 16:18   #41
BHPian

Congrats Aniket Da! Welcome to the club.

Indeed the comfort and street presence is phenomenal. My storme is running strong 4 years down and still leaves a wide grin on the face when i get behind the wheel
aak91 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2018, 11:12   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8er View Post
Congratulations on getting the beast.

Your story reminds me of mine, I have been an ardent fan of the Safari since its launch and driven it everytime a new variant has been launched (except the last one).

I was close to getting it in 2008 but then banks played spoilt sport then and so I am still saying 'One day One day'.

Happy miles to you and your beast.
Thank you. Don't delay too much. A little bird flew in and told me that the Safari (as we see it in its current Avatar) may be discontinued soon. The new vehicle, while retaining the name, would be an all new design from ground up. So while much would be improved, it would lose its core strengths of space and comfort.

Knowing Tata Motors, and the acceptance of the Safari in the Indian hinterland, I don't believe the little bird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Congratulations Aniket !!! A pleasant surprise, someone buying a Safari in 2018. No doubt it is still much better than most of the 'modern' SUVs out on the road today. How come you didnt try the vcross. Would have suited you well.

OT: I have atlast moved to Delhi. Hope to see Sable in person soon.
Thanks brother. The V Cross is 5295 mm long against the Safari's 4655mm. It sticks out of even larger parking lots like a fat paunch over a tight belt. No way I could have used it as a daily driver when most parking attendants in the city would have refused me parking. Besides I wanted a lockable luggage space, not an open loading bay that I would have to drag around like an unnecessary appendage. No offence, but the VCross caters to a customer looking for a different set of traits.

Am glad to know you're in Delhi. I hope you still have my contact number. Lets meet up today or tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel4X4 View Post
Hi predatorwheelz. Many many congratulations on your possession. Good to see you tested the beast straight in the Binsar hills.
As you have described your parking space, I advise you to go for the 3M PPF for both the bumper at least.
Wish you many happy miles !!
Thanks. Yes, I was eager to test the mettle of the vehicle on the highway and hills as soon as possible.

Thanks for the PPF suggestion too. Looked it up on the net. There is a 3M car care center just opposite to our building gate. Will pay them a visit today.

Quote:
This is called true love. Driving a Safari after driving a refined Verna is going to the other end of the spectrum. Wish you all thousands of happy kilometers.
Thanks. You all?

Quote:
You have the same viewpoint as the friend who accompanied me on the TD and said "Yeh SUVs ka bullet hai". Well here's my stance on it. Both the Safari and the Bullet started out many years ago with some core strengths. Space and comfort in case of the Safari, exhaust note and relaxed cruising ability in case of the Bullet. Over the years the manufacturers kept on improving the vehicles. Safari got better lights, interiors, engines, and a few modern day features like steering mounted audio controls and bluetooth. Bullet got disk brakes, CDI ignition and push button start. And both are retaining their old loyalists while trying to entice new customers into the fold.

Quote:
I personally think the Innova is the best car to buy in India. Bulletproof reliability, cheap ASS and genuine comfort. A friend lives in a joint family which owns 7 cars, including an Audi A4 and a BMW 5 series. Guess which car in the fleet gets used the most, and has been with them the longest?

But that said, again the Innova is bought by customers looking for a different set of traits. Which I wasn't. To each his own!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Many congratulations on the Safari. Back in 2009, when I was buying a 4x4, the choice was limited between a Safari and a Scorpio. Given the terrible ownership experiences of Safari owners (including that of Moderator tsk1979), I'd christened the vehicle as a Suffer-ye, and chose the lesser of the two evils, a Scorpio. After 9 years, Tata has certainly improved on many fronts, including quality control as well as after-sales service. Your new-found trust in the brand may well be the right choice.
Thank you for commenting on my thread dada. You're not alone. My other guru, the now long banned bhpian Gurkha, owned a Safari for a short period. He had christened it the "Sar Fari" (Head Splitter). Let's hope my ownership experience stays more pleasant.

Would request your help with the 3rd niggle I mentioned:

"Sometimes the car struggles to accelerate, and there is a frrrr sound from the engine bay when I let go of the accelerator. More noticeable when it happens on the highway as you can make out fuel delivery is irregular under heavy acceleration. After 15 minutes it goes away on its own. Could it be a faulty Throttle Position Sensor? Anyway it doesn't affect overall mileage."

Quote:
So that's how the decision (to switch from a sedan to a SUV) happened! Ladakh, Lahaul & Spiti beckon! (I can imagine Samba going, because he made those circuits look easy in his Etios, while the Skoda Kodiaq with all its power and tech faced much trouble!)
Samba is not human. He drives like a maniac while being in complete control, goes where SUVs don't dare and comes back unscathed, takes marvellous photographs, writes detailed travelogues that make refreshing reads, and is a wonderfully humble human being to trot. I'm sure one day his shirt is going to fly open in the wind and we'll discover a superman vest underneath. Even then he'll be all embarrassed at the wardrobe malfunction, rather than proud at revealing his true identity.

Except the fact that we share the same surname, I'm nowhere close to Samba. Just a human being who wants the comfort of high GC before venturing out into these bad road territories.

Quote:
Anyway, in this country, once you get used to an SUV, a sedan / hatchback feels a little terrifying. Oh, and do take care not to unmindfully trample on those little pseudo-SUVs in your path!!!
I can see that already. Hope this comment is not a reference to my recent FB post ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Taking turns, changing lanes etc needs to be planned like driving a water tanker.
Take a TD of the new Storme. Or just take a ride while I'm driving. You'll be surprised with the turning radius, and just how fast you can drive the vehicle. I was.

Quote:
Adding few pics of my steed; hope that's fine..
Lovely pics. I've become a member of SOUL (on the official website). But where and how do you get the sticker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aak91 View Post
Congrats Aniket Da! Welcome to the club.

Indeed the comfort and street presence is phenomenal. My storme is running strong 4 years down and still leaves a wide grin on the face when i get behind the wheel
Thanks brother. You have a Storme too? I had only seen your Hexa. Please show it to me the next time we meet.

Last edited by moralfibre : 6th October 2018 at 13:58. Reason: Only two smileys permitted per post.
predatorwheelz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th October 2018, 14:05   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

@predatorwheelz - Yes you are right, they are far better than they used to be. I was in the market for something similar for my friend and for myself, we tested everything including, storme, Hexa. My comments about the road manners are in comparison to a Sedan or a hatchback that some people upgrade from and may find the handling of a body on frame SUV to be cumbersome, which was the case for my friends. Cross overs like XUV/Creta/duster seems to suit their driving style better.

For me, I like the body on frame types for the raised seating. Anyone who has tried the previous versions of Safari must try the StormeV400 , like BD sir says, Silent surge of Power. I was surprised indeed.
In the Hexa especially the automatic, it is complimented with a nice auto box as well. All in all, good work by Tata and you made a great choice.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2018, 16:05   #44
BHPian

Congratulations, Aniket da!
"Bullet of SUVs" - really liked that one!

Please do not have second thoughts about the Renault twins. This is a purpose built vehicle, and you'll have the Predator to gun down quarter mile stretches and throw around corners when you feel like it. My Duster is almost 4 years old now, and I am fairly happy with Girgiti; but I would probably not recommend cross overs (a pretty subjective personal opinion )

And the post was refreshing and enriching to read, as always.
GhostRider28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2018, 16:30   #45
BHPian

Congratulations on the new acquisition. And the write up was excellent with lots of pics. Very professional!

Hope of you have a great experience over the years driving the Storme. It's not often that we get to fulfill our dreams. I'm glad that you allowed the heart to rule over the head.

Quote:
.................Although the price premium for VX is quite high, you shall never underestimate the value of airbags.
I do agree that the value of airbags cannot be underestimated. Just pure risk management, if nothing else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
.....TATA should have provided ABS and Airbags as standard across variants.
Which is why I wonder why airbags are not standard across variants. Why do the auto companies have to be forced by legislation is beyond me. After all customers are also stakeholders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Thank you. Don't delay too much. A little bird flew in and told me that the Safari (as we see it in its current Avatar) may be discontinued soon. The new vehicle, while retaining the name, would be an all new design from ground up. So while much would be improved, it would lose its core strengths of space and comfort.

Knowing Tata Motors, and the acceptance of the Safari in the Indian hinterland, I don't believe the little bird.
I too have heard these rumors. I do hope that your disbelief is not misplaced.
Zezé is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed