Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 8th January 2019, 12:17   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Purchasing my RedNBlack Truck - Mahindra TUV300 T10, the complete story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srikji View Post
Congrats LegalEagle! TUV300 is an awesome car, I almost bought it but my requirement changed to automatic and TUV stopped the AMT, so chose the Duster instead. Even today, when I see a TUV on the road, I let out a sigh...
I considered the Duster, but dropped it due to the interiors. However, I go though the same feeling everytime I see that the Mahindra Thar.

But the positive aspect is I can buy it whenever, as the family is in favor of it.
Old 9th January 2019, 17:00   #32
BHPian

Default Re: Purchasing my RedNBlack Truck - TUV 300 T10 - The complete story

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalEagle View Post
I have used this vehicle for around 2 1/2 months over 1800 kms. Based on this limited time period, below are the pros, neturals and cons.

Pros:
  1. The Engine - One thing is for sure - you do not want to rush the engine by driving fast. You need to use the torque range properly, allowing the turbo to kick in. When you drive it in this technique, it truly becomes a gem of an engine. In multiple reviews, it was mentioned that the current engine size is very small for a vehicle of its size. My personal opinion - use the torque range correctly, it does wonders.
  2. Refinement - Again, this is a Mahindra - so we cannot expect the refinement levels as other vehicle like a Maruti, Ford or Hyundai. But, again, as compared to other Mahindra(s) such as the Bolero or the Thar, the refinement is definately better.
Cons:
  1. Dancing gear lever - Seriously Mahindra. Please figure out a way to make the gear lever from dancing. Sometimes, it tends to get on my nerves.
  2. Brakes - For me right now, the only comparison is with my Figo brakes. The brakes do not exactly inspire confidence, but that does not mean that they are inadequate. Maybe I need more time to get used to them.
  3. Rattles - Yes, it rattles above my comfort levels, but have to learn to live with it.
Congratulations, I know its a bit late but lets get on with it.

Thar is Mahindra`s Halo vehicle - Myself included I know half a dozen people who went into Mahindra`s showroom to check out Thar and bought something else.

The story repeated many times over for many people buying various vehicles including XUV etc. Back in June we landed a sweet deal on a TUV T10 for a dear friend and he is very happy with it.

Many people will ask you questions about, why not this vehicle, why not that vehicle - They tend to compare vehicles within a price range. TUV then is not considered conventional , a bit odd and thats the best part of it. Once you are used to the tall seating and road presence of this, there is no going back.
I always felt it is wrong to compare vehicles just because of the price, they are sometimes very different in terms of utility.

From my observation - The engine can be rushed without any problem, you just need to get used to it. The 3 Cylinder rhythm is a bit different than what you are used to. It pulls clean from a dead stop on 2 gear, so the rest is cake walk. Once warmed up, this engine is quieter than many other diesels in the market, while the driver get to hear quite a bit of the engine note, the passengers do not really get much of it.

Dancing gear lever is something you need to live with, as long as it does not make noise, should be okay.

Brakes - Folks who upgrade from unibody cars to BOF SUVs tend to get worried about this, Yes, the stopping distance can be long due to additional weight, there is no escaping laws of physics - Keep adequate distance and ensure tires are in good shape.

Use the height of the vehicle to your advantage, you can see before others that vehicles ahead are slowing down or which lane to choose , so the right gear can be chosen ahead reducing the number of brake applications - gives a steadier ride. You need to re-learn a bit of driving, you need to consider pitch and roll into the equation of driving from now, you need also need to balance the vehicle on the accelerator.

If you are the types who have the patience to master driving the Tank, you would love it to bits, it will take you places which you would otherwise would not have, it will also take you further on any given day as well.

Please get the rattles fixed, they should have been fixed after the road test during the first service. Write them down in detail on the job card and insist that it gets fixed. The T10 we have has only a squishy noise that comes from the spare tire cover at times, otherwise completely rattle free.

Your daughter is spot on, it very much is a truck - take a look at the chassis when its up on the service lift and see if the luggage bag suits your requirement rather than a rack, bag can be easily removed and avoids taking a hit when not in use on an already tall vehicle.

On the AUX lights, please do not install LED light bars etc, some cities have banned even fitting them, forget using them. Most LED lights or light bars are completely useless, sure they are bright but the beam does not really go anywhere useful, best option is fitting a nice pair of Hella`s with cover. The headlights are good as it is, I miss the cornering lights while driving other vehicles though.

Drive safe and wish you many smiles with the Tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Purchasing my RedNBlack Truck - Mahindra TUV300 T10, the complete story-img_20190108_193939.jpg  

Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2019, 13:17   #33
BHPian

Default Re: Purchasing my RedNBlack Truck - TUV 300 T10 - The complete story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Congratulations, I know its a bit late but lets get on with it.
Thar is Mahindra`s Halo vehicle - Myself included I know half a dozen people who went into Mahindra`s showroom to check out Thar and bought something else.The story repeated many times over for many people buying various vehicles including XUV etc. Back in June we landed a sweet deal on a TUV T10 for a dear friend and he is very happy with it.
That is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, so help me God. It is the same reason why I first went to the Mahindra showroom, but have no regrets whatsoever.

Quote:
Many people will ask you questions about, why not this vehicle, why not that vehicle - They tend to compare vehicles within a price range. TUV then is not considered conventional , a bit odd and thats the best part of it. Once you are used to the tall seating and road presence of this, there is no going back.
I always felt it is wrong to compare vehicles just because of the price, they are sometimes very different in terms of utility.
This is equally true. I have faced questions - why not Creta, Hexa, Nexon or the XUV. The TUV has the "unconventional" bread box design, which is very 60's and 70's as per some individuals and is therefore not the best choice. Also, upon hearing the price, the first and easiest thing which everyone says - you should have spend another 2 lakhs and taken the Jeep by Fiat or you should have bought the Ertiga, it is more reliable and would serve you better.

Unfortunately, only the enthusiasts understand the out-of-box thinking or reasons for purchasing a vehicle. For the common Indian, there are only three points which considered - ease of maintenance (availability of spares and service centers), fuel efficiency & resale value - which are not the only things that matter to an enthusiast.

Quote:
From my observation - The engine can be rushed without any problem, you just need to get used to it. The 3 Cylinder rhythm is a bit different than what you are used to. It pulls clean from a dead stop on 2 gear, so the rest is cake walk. Once warmed up, this engine is quieter than many other diesels in the market, while the driver get to hear quite a bit of the engine note, the passengers do not really get much of it.
Dancing gear lever is something you need to live with, as long as it does not make noise, should be okay.
Brakes - Folks who upgrade from unibody cars to BOF SUVs tend to get worried about this, Yes, the stopping distance can be long due to additional weight, there is no escaping laws of physics - Keep adequate distance and ensure tires are in good shape.
Use the height of the vehicle to your advantage, you can see before others that vehicles ahead are slowing down or which lane to choose , so the right gear can be chosen ahead reducing the number of brake applications - gives a steadier ride. You need to re-learn a bit of driving, you need to consider pitch and roll into the equation of driving from now, you need also need to balance the vehicle on the accelerator.
If you are the types who have the patience to master driving the Tank, you would love it to bits, it will take you places which you would otherwise would not have, it will also take you further on any given day as well.
Please get the rattles fixed, they should have been fixed after the road test during the first service. Write them down in detail on the job card and insist that it gets fixed. The T10 we have has only a squishy noise that comes from the spare tire cover at times, otherwise completely rattle free.
For the enthusiast, the engine is very quiet after it warms up. But to the better half - it is not very quiet - as she compares it with my father's Dzire. Wish I could explain the differences and details.

The other aspects have slowly grown on me, and now the Dancing Gear lever mysteriously complements the music being played.

Yes - I learnt to drive again, and am now mastering the art of driving the Tank/Truck slowly. It is tough - after you have been driving for 12 years or so, but yes, makes it interesting. Also, as you rightly said, the Tank/Truck is definitely going to take me places and further on any given day - I am able to calmly drive/rush close to 70 kms a day in proper traffic conditions, without any mental stress/fatigue. It has also given me the confidence and belief that I can achieve or try to complete one of my ambitions - a Hyderabad - Leh road trip.

After the initial months, noticed that what I qualified as rattles were primarily some loose nuts and bolts around the vehicle. Took a weekend and tightened every visible nut to the max. Well, it is a Mahindra, so nothing is perfect... . It is also going to be standing note on every service trip, recorded on the job card. Also, all rattles are mainly due to the unprotected or non-cushioned cup holders, which allow the bottles to move around, thus the rattles. This gives me the next DIY - lining all cupholders with some sort of foam or lining to reduce the rattles. Otherwise, it is a perfect car.

Quote:
Your daughter is spot on, it very much is a truck - take a look at the chassis when its up on the service lift and see if the luggage bag suits your requirement rather than a rack, bag can be easily removed and avoids taking a hit when not in use on an already tall vehicle.
On the AUX lights, please do not install LED light bars etc, some cities have banned even fitting them, forget using them. Most LED lights or light bars are completely useless, sure they are bright but the beam does not really go anywhere useful, best option is fitting a nice pair of Hella`s with cover. The headlights are good as it is, I miss the cornering lights while driving other vehicles though.
Drive safe and wish you many smiles with the Tank.
Points noted and will keep them into consideration. With relation to the Aux lights, I am rethinking the same, as the original headlights are truly adequate, properly and well supported by the cornering lights. So no thoughts to tinker with the setup.

On why my daughter calls it a Truck - she has to literally climb it, like she has seen a truck driver climb into his truck. Also, it is the most different vehicle from all which we have owned for our life.

And yes - the picture at the end does give me a lot of inspiration.
LegalEagle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2019, 16:58   #34
BHPian

Default Re: Purchasing my RedNBlack Truck - Mahindra TUV300 T10, the complete story

Nearing the 5K mark on the Truck, and it never fails to amaze me. I did learn to drive again, as recommended by Bhpians, which has now made my life easier. It can easily handle small jumps and bumps, and broken roads and ruts with ease - which does not surprise me as it is a BOF.

Efficiency hovers around the 11-12 kmpl mark, which is surprising. I am starting to suspect the pump which I am using currently, so planning to shift to a new pump on the next refill.

Otherwise, it is the daily office-home-office-weekend stuff run, which all married members go through.
Old 14th February 2019, 17:30   #35
Senior - BHPian

For city traffic 11-12 is what you can expect, especially with the AC running. Every two or three fills, use Shell (regular not V Power), Reliance or Essar. Else use BP or HP, IOC only if from trusted pumps.

Take it out on a highway trip, fill Shell / Reliance / Essar first, and you'll see some much better efficiency.

Quote:
Nearing the 5K mark on the Truck, and it never fails to amaze me. I did learn to drive again, as recommended by Bhpians, which has now made my life easier. It can easily handle small jumps and bumps, and broken roads and ruts with ease - which does not surprise me as it is a BOF.

Efficiency hovers around the 11-12 kmpl mark, which is surprising. I am starting to suspect the pump which I am using currently, so planning to shift to a new pump on the next refill.

Otherwise, it is the daily office-home-office-weekend stuff run, which all married members go through.
Old 29th March 2019, 17:49   #36
BHPian

Quote:

Surprised with your FE results . There are few members here who are getting around 18 on highway and 15 KMPL in city on their MT. I drive AMT model and getting 11.15 KMP within city driving. I drive 60 KM's per day, 50% in traffic and 50% off-peak time. Maybe it gets better after 2nd service.

Also any update on your DIY project for cushioning the cup holders? I would love to see some pictures, and maybe get inspired myself.

Last edited by ramnaresh_2000 : 29th March 2019 at 17:53. Reason: More information added
Old 24th April 2019, 12:42   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
Surprised with your FE results . There are few members here who are getting around 18 on highway and 15 KMPL in city on their MT. I drive AMT model and getting 11.15 KMP within city driving. I drive 60 KM's per day, 50% in traffic and 50% off-peak time. Maybe it gets better after 2nd service.

Also any update on your DIY project for cushioning the cup holders? I would love to see some pictures, and maybe get inspired myself.
Personally, not too worried. I drove a Figo petrol, and got an efficiency of around 11 kmpl, so no concerns. I also guess it should improve after second service.

Sorry to disappoint, but on the DIY, all put on hold, as focusing on the family - the addition of a new princess takes all the time in the world.

Will try to take them up again when the little one grows up a bit.
LegalEagle is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed