Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2019, 16:00   #16
BHPian

Re: Purchasing my RedNBlack Truck - Mahindra TUV300 T10, the complete story

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
From a Figo to a TUV3OO, I could so well relate to your experience and findings. Wonderfully detailed post and I totally agree with almost all the points mentioned. You will find the TUV surprisingly comfortable for the long highway drives too.

Congratulations! Wish you many happy and painless miles in your new TUV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Nicely penned review there sir. I find that my extended family doesn't mind using the 3rd row seats. It's definitely sub-optimal, but it's not horrible for us at least.
Most importantly, congrats for pushing out this fine review.
Quote:
Originally Posted by onecar View Post
May I ask how is the condition of your back now. Also please stick to an exercise routine daily for your back as would have been advised by Doctor. It will also help to alleviate the condition of your back.
Thank you all for the compliments. With relation to my health, my back is all good now, and have made a complete recovery.

With relation to the 3rd row, my plan is a bit different - for my family's use, it will most probably turn into a minibed, where my kids can rest while long drives.

However, it is by no means uncomfortable. Any tall person will find it uncomfortable with knees close to the chest, and the lack of incline in the backsupport - thus it becomes unreasonable. However, it is very practical, and usable - as against other 7 seaters wherein the last row normally becomes unusable due to lack of space.
Old 4th January 2019, 16:24   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalEagle View Post
Thank you all for the compliments. With relation to my health, my back is all good now, and have made a complete recovery.
Curiously enough, I bought the Tank at a time when I suffered acute back-aches too. I'm 6'4" and have benefited from my Tank's ergonomics as well

Quote:
With relation to the 3rd row, my plan is a bit different - for my family's use, it will most probably turn into a minibed, where my kids can rest while long drives.
Speaking of using the 3rd row for kids to lie down in; I recall a very old post by some forum member where they had plonked a bean-bag in between their Safari's folded jump-seats. The bean-bag took up all the room there such that their 2 kids spent time seated or lying down on an epic roadtrip. I have similar plans for the 3rd row for my kid, especially since I have a rooftop luggage carrier and an Amazonbasics luggage cover now.
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2019, 17:49   #18
BHPian

Congratulations on the Truck. Sir you started a new trend here calling TUV a Truck, we all love to call it a Tank .

The Truck looks dashing and I envy you, as T10 was not available at my time of purchase, it was later introduced after 3 months of my purchase. I would have gone for it without any second thought's.

I upgraded my ICE to Pioneer touchscreen, but not happy with the fit and finish of the frame holding it, you can clearly see the ugly gaps surrounding the ICE, also got seat covers added, aftermaket finish is no where match to a factory fitted one though.

Happy miles.
Attached Thumbnails
Purchasing my RedNBlack Truck - Mahindra TUV300 T10, the complete story-img_20181202_142447.jpg  

ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2019, 20:42   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Curiously enough, I bought the Tank at a time when I suffered acute back-aches too. I'm 6'4" and have benefited from my Tank's ergonomics as well
Speaking of using the 3rd row for kids to lie down in; I recall a very old post by some forum member where they had plonked a bean-bag in between their Safari's folded jump-seats. The bean-bag took up all the room there such that their 2 kids spent time seated or lying down on an epic roadtrip. I have similar plans for the 3rd row for my kid, especially since I have a rooftop luggage carrier and an Amazonbasics luggage cover now.
It appears our reasons for the Tank/Truck remain the same - health issues. I also plan to take a luggage rack and the Amazonbasics bag. Mind if you could tell me where you took the luggage rack - saw some online, but wanted to check where it should be taken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
Congratulations on the Truck. Sir you started a new trend here calling TUV a Truck, we all love to call it a Tank .
The Truck looks dashing and I envy you, as T10 was not available at my time of purchase, it was later introduced after 3 months of my purchase. I would have gone for it without any second thought's.
I upgraded my ICE to Pioneer touchscreen, but not happy with the fit and finish of the frame holding it, you can clearly see the ugly gaps surrounding the ICE, also got seat covers added, aftermaket finish is no where match to a factory fitted one though.
Happy miles.

The reason I call it the Truck is because my daughter compares it with all the trucks running. For a 4 year old, it is comparable to the trucks which "bully" their way around the roads.

Also, in my opinion, and no offense meant to anyone, the true Tank is the Mahindra Thar - the go anywhere vehicle. It was the entire family's choice, but then practicality and reality set in. But have no regrets, and for me, it is both a Truck and a Tank.

The Touchscreen and the leather seats were one of the main reasons why I went for the T10. I would be lying if I said the color options also favored my decisions.

Personally, I never liked the aftermarket setup(s), and wanted to keep it as factory as possible. Before the purchase, saw the costs and options of after market fitments, but was worried heavily about warranty issues and other aspects. The overall cost difference between factory fixed equipment and after market equipment was around 20K, but the fit and finish swung it in favor of the factory fittings, thus went for the T10.

The only after market fitment being considered now is additional fog lights and/or a LED light bar. But not sure if it would fit the vehicle, and if it is needed or not. Do let me know your thoughts.
LegalEagle is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2019, 20:57   #20
Senior - BHPian

Hi - nice review. I bought my Scorpio S10 for much the same reason as you got your TUV, the high seat and erect posture is a godsend for tall and hefty people with neck and back problems. I somehow don't find it cramped, it suits me fine and has climate control, TPMS, a good Bluetooth supporting touchscreen HU - and a surprisingly light clutch and gearshift. 12 hour long rides don't leave me as exhausted any longer.

For the other post above - the Scorpio / TUV etc have service alerts displayed in the touch screen so it isn't too good an idea to replace it with a Pioneer or other third party deck.

The jump seats or the space between them aren't a good idea due to no seat belts, so please don't seat people there on long distance drives. Think of it as a five seater with an extra large boot.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2019, 23:21   #21
BHPian

Congratulations on the new tank mate! I am curious though, as to why you did not consider the Honda WR-V?

Keep the thread updated for sure once you start munching some serious kilometres!

Old 6th January 2019, 06:22   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche_guy View Post
Congratulations on the new tank mate! I am curious though, as to why you did not consider the Honda WR-V?

Keep the thread updated for sure once you start munching some serious kilometres!

Their diesel isn't all that good - puny and I thought not too well refined 1498cc.

The Mahindra engine is a touch noisier but rock solid reliable so that's there.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2019, 09:52   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
For the other post above - the Scorpio / TUV etc have service alerts displayed in the touch screen so it isn't too good an idea to replace it with a Pioneer or other third party deck.
My TUV is T8 model, it did not come with touchscreen ICE. Service alerts are displayed on the LCD screen on Odometer. The upgrade to Pioneer was to get additional features like Android Auto etc, I did not go with Mahindra's offering of touch screen because it supports Mapmyindia offline maps and I am not a huge fan of it. Also read few reviews that it is buggy.
Old 6th January 2019, 11:11   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It appears our reasons for the Tank/Truck remain the same - health issues. I also plan to take a luggage rack and the Amazonbasics bag. Mind if you could tell me where you took the luggage rack - saw some online, but wanted to check where it should be taken.
Ever since I saw a member show his Mtek Model MK 2776 luggage carrier in Dec 2015 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post3861062 (Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review)), I've had my sights on that particular carrier. So I bought it this December from a major car accessories shop. I called him up and told him as much - I want a Mtek Mk 2776 luggage carrier. It cost me Rs.6.7K, while back in Dec 2015, it had cost the other member around Rs.6K.

You can try ordering it online via Indiamart.com, but they never responded to me. Besides, if you buy it via a physical shop, they'll also fit it for free.

Here's mine -

Purchasing my RedNBlack Truck - Mahindra TUV300 T10, the complete story-mtek_carrier1.jpg
Old 7th January 2019, 13:24   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Hi - nice review. I bought my Scorpio S10 for much the same reason as you got your TUV, the high seat and erect posture is a godsend for tall and hefty people with neck and back problems. I somehow don't find it cramped, it suits me fine and has climate control, TPMS, a good Bluetooth supporting touchscreen HU - and a surprisingly light clutch and gearshift. 12 hour long rides don't leave me as exhausted any longer.
The jump seats or the space between them aren't a good idea due to no seat belts, so please don't seat people there on long distance drives. Think of it as a five seater with an extra large boot.
Thank you for the compliments. The TUV is godsend indeed. Also, have no plans for the frequent use of the jump seats - it would be a backup option only and nothing else. Also, the Service alerts are present in the LCD display in the dashboard, as against the infotainment system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche_guy View Post
Quote:
Their diesel isn't all that good - puny and I thought not too well refined 1498cc.
The Mahindra engine is a touch noisier but rock solid reliable so that's there.
In addition, the WR-V felt more like a Jazz on stilts - requiring me to bend while ingress and exit. Also, when I went for my purchase, only two points were considered - seating comfort and space. The other standard aspects especially "Kitna deti hai" were not considered even for a second.

Quote:
Ever since I saw a member show his Mtek Model MK 2776 luggage carrier in Dec 2015 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post3861062 (Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review)), I've had my sights on that particular carrier.
Here's mine -
Attachment 1834079
The luggage carrier suits the vehicle. I will start the search soon, and will buy it - as it does not seem to be one which is easily and/or readily available.
LegalEagle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2019, 13:32   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The luggage carrier suits the vehicle. I will start the search soon, and will buy it - as it does not seem to be one which is easily and/or readily available.
Maybe I was lucky; Friends Car Accessories is a major chain here in Chennai. I only needed to give them the make, model and a description (black in color with the word "carbon" on it) and they located it in their central warehouse very quickly. I got it fitted near home the next day. At the shop near my home, I saw that the dealer had a detailed brochure for each major carrier manufacturer, Mtek's included. I could spot this particular model by myself in it...

Worst case, if you can't find a similar major chain, I could see mtek's website when searching it before replying to you yesterday. Mtek should be happy to send you one or connect you to somebody near you. Their phone number is 08048022521 (with a response rate of 54%, as per their website page http://www.mtekengineers.co.in/car-luggage-carrier.html).

All the best!
Old 7th January 2019, 13:34   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Maybe I was lucky; Friends Car Accessories is a major chain here in Chennai. I only needed to give them the make, model and a description (black in color with the word "carbon" on it) and they located it in their central warehouse very quickly. I got it fitted near home the next day. At the shop near my home, I saw that the dealer had a detailed brochure for each major carrier manufacturer, Mtek's included. I could spot this particular model by myself in it...

Worst case, if you can't find a similar major chain, I could see mtek's website when searching it before replying to you yesterday. Mtek should be happy to send you one or connect you to somebody near you. Their phone number is 08048022521 (with a response rate of 54%, as per their website page http://www.mtekengineers.co.in/car-luggage-carrier.html).

All the best!

Will do so, otherwise will pick it up in Chennai when I do the roadtrip, after having relatives complete the enquiry and making necessary payments.
LegalEagle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2019, 15:26   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will do so, otherwise will pick it up in Chennai when I do the roadtrip, after having relatives complete the enquiry and making necessary payments.
If you fit a rooftop luggage carrier on a Mahindra or Tata vehicle and take it on the highway, cops will keep stopping you suspecting that a white board car is being operated as a cab. Best avoided.
Old 7th January 2019, 15:59   #29
BHPian

Quote:
If you fit a rooftop luggage carrier on a Mahindra or Tata vehicle and take it on the highway, cops will keep stopping you suspecting that a white board car is being operated as a cab. Best avoided.
Thank you for the pointer. Will keep it in mind.
Old 8th January 2019, 12:04   #30
BHPian

Congrats LegalEagle! TUV300 is an awesome car, I almost bought it but my requirement changed to automatic and TUV stopped the AMT, so chose the Duster instead. Even today, when I see a TUV on the road, I let out a sigh...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks