Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 12th March 2019, 15:42   #31
BHPian

Default re: Owning a Fiat Abarth Punto - A car with character. EDIT : 15,000 km completed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Don't push your luck with a 15k oil change interval. Not in our hot, humid conditions. Change it at the 10k or 1 year mark, even if you have not run 10K in this time.

You need to remember that the same engine oil lubricates the turbo charger. On a car like this, you need to look after that turbo.

If FCA service it too far out, get it done at a FNG.
It's been just 10 months now and the 15K mark will definitely be reached before 12 months. Agree with you - planning for a 7.5K cycle henceforth.
cogWheel is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2019, 09:42   #32
BHPian

Default re: Owning a Fiat Abarth Punto - A car with character. EDIT : 15,000 km completed!

Completed 15,000 Km of running.

No problems to report. By and a large, a niggle-free first year ownership.

Second Service at 15,000 KM
Reached the 15,000 KM mark in 343 days. Second service at FASS in Mysore - Urs Kar Pvt. Ltd. Following was done:
1. Change of engine oil - Selenia K 5W40 (Stock recommended oil)
2. Change of oil filter, fuel filter, air filter and Cabin AC filter.
3. Wheel rotation and alignment
I had no complaints to report other than an occasional mild rattle that seemed to come form the driver-side B-pillar area.

Cost of second service
Rs. 5660 inclusive of wheel alignment. Labour was free.

FASS experience
  • Car was delivered on time. Car was at Service station for 6 hours.
  • Staff were courteous.
  • No major bungles.
  • Some hose retainers / clasps were left unfastened which I recognized before taking delivery and got them fixed.
  • A week later, when I was checking tyre pressures, found them to be grossly over-inflated (range of 42 to 46 PSI).
  • Acceptable experience overall.

The First 15,000KM - some key stats
Average mileage - 44.13 Km/Day
Average fuel costs - Rs. 8.34/Km
Average service costs - Rs. 0.46 Km/L
Average fuel efficiency - 9.23 Km/L

Completing first year of ownership today.
Has been a great driving experience. The car never fails to give you the unadulterated joy of a mechanically robust driving experience. For my use case scenario, it has been a practical daily driver too. The fuel cost is of course on the higher side in comparison to other cars in the segment, but then thats the price you pay for the fun quotient.
Since I have no FASS at my town, I have bought 1L of Petronas Selenia K 5W40 engine oil and 1L of Petronas ParaFlu Up coolant as emergency stock. I ordered these from 99rpm.com, and were delivered in 1 week's time.

Owning a Fiat Abarth Punto - A car with character. EDIT : 15,000 km completed!-99rpm_oilcoolant.jpg

A few random pictures from last six months:

Owning a Fiat Abarth Punto - A car with character. EDIT : 15,000 km completed!-abp0.jpg

Owning a Fiat Abarth Punto - A car with character. EDIT : 15,000 km completed!-abp1.jpg

Owning a Fiat Abarth Punto - A car with character. EDIT : 15,000 km completed!-abp2.jpg

Owning a Fiat Abarth Punto - A car with character. EDIT : 15,000 km completed!-abp3.jpg

Owning a Fiat Abarth Punto - A car with character. EDIT : 15,000 km completed!-abp4.jpg

Owning a Fiat Abarth Punto - A car with character. EDIT : 15,000 km completed!-abp6.jpg

Last edited by cogWheel : 19th May 2019 at 09:47.
cogWheel is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2019, 15:59   #33

Default Re: Owning a Fiat Abarth Punto - A car with character. EDIT : 15,000 km completed!

I read your review for the first time in January 2019. At that point of time, I was sulking at the prospect of not having owned a FIAT (let alone an Abarth) having read the news of FCA stopping production of Fiats altogether in the country.

Snap back to today and I am a proud owner of this beauty. Your review has definitely been a fuelling factor in the burning fire to own this beauty.

I have been a Fiat fan since I was a toddler. My late father was a Premier Automobiles Ltd. employee since late 1970s and continued to be with FIAT till he passed away in 2012. Being in the accounts department, my father wasn't much of an automobile person but the brochures, calendars he used to bring home did light a flame in my heart for all things with wheels. This eventually led to me buying and reading all the well know auto magazines (Auto India, Autocar India, Top Gear) between 1997 and 2012. I gave up on the magazines in 2012 with his passing away to concentrate on 'priorities' (read earning). I was fortunate to have visited the Premier plant in Kurla and the Fiat plant in Ranjangaon where I saw these beauties being made.

The desire to buy a Fiat in January this year was same since I saw the Uno for the first time in the year 1997. It was such a beautiful sight. Then came the Siena, the Palio, the Weekend, the Linea and then the Punto. Every car Fiat launched felt like this is the one I will buy. Priorities in life ofcourse meant that I killed the thought with great pain and tears...until 7th of March this year when I made a very casual enquiry call to Landmark Fiat in Mumbai. My thoughts after the call were a complete mixture of excitement and sadness. It was a case of my heart signing cheques my bank balance couldn't cash. What followed was 4 weeks of utter chaos and madness. In those 4 weeks the following things happened in order:

1. The sales person came down with the Abarth for a testdrive. I had never seen one in flesh and I just went weak in my knees for it. The best part, I did not know how to drive a car. All these years I called myself a car lover not learning to drive.

2. Broke the thought to my family and they called me crazy because I wanted to buy a car that was going out of production. Hyundais, Marutis, Tatas suggested. I actually had a big war of words with my wife over the decision. We still did not know where to get the money from.

3. Joined driving classes on 27th March and found that when you apply yourself to something it becomes easy to learn things.

4. Paid the downpayment amount by breaking an LIC policy.

5. Got her home on Gudi Padwa 6th April 2019.

Cut to today, I have covered 1800kms with this beauty and am happy to inform that I agree with every bit of your review.

I leave with a few pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Owning a Fiat Abarth Punto - A car with character. EDIT : 15,000 km completed!-20190405_192630.jpg  

Owning a Fiat Abarth Punto - A car with character. EDIT : 15,000 km completed!-20190406_232716.jpg  

Owning a Fiat Abarth Punto - A car with character. EDIT : 15,000 km completed!-20190525_172451.jpg  

Owning a Fiat Abarth Punto - A car with character. EDIT : 15,000 km completed!-20190406_115337.jpg  

Owning a Fiat Abarth Punto - A car with character. EDIT : 15,000 km completed!-20190522_164808.jpg  

Owning a Fiat Abarth Punto - A car with character. EDIT : 15,000 km completed!-20190602_144037.jpg  

Owning a Fiat Abarth Punto - A car with character. EDIT : 15,000 km completed!-20190522_165036.jpg  

Tifosi2306 is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2019, 07:39   #34
BHPian

Default Re: Owning a Fiat Abarth Punto - A car with character. EDIT : 15,000 km completed!

Congratulations on your new car! Looks like a severe case of Fiat fever. From beginning car driving classes to a 145BHP Abarth in 10 days - now that’s something!
Buying a Fiat as the first car, as the sole family car, at a time when production has stopped is not an easy decision. But, if any car is worth that kind of a gamble, then it’s got to be the Abarth Punto.
The car looks stunning. Wishing you many happy years and safe miles with it. Take things easy in the first few months until you become familiar with the strengths and quirks of the car. Happy motoring!
cogWheel is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote