Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2019, 15:03   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My 1st brand new car: The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+

Regarding your dissatisfaction with the Philips H4 LED, I think the LED are not aligned properly.

If i remember, the LED bulb comes with a base chuck which is shaped like a H4 base that goes in and fits into the headlamp notch. The bulb will be installed into this chuck and rotated to get a snug fit. You should ensure that the alignment of the LEDs in your Philips is almost same as the alignment of the filament in a halogen bulb. You should adjust the chuck around the LED bulb till you get the alignment right. Take a pic of the halogen headlamp in the reflector and see how it is and compare it with the how it is on your car.

Check this video

sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2019, 17:25   #17
BHPian

Hi, congrats on your buy; it indeed is a very practical & sensible package over other hatchbacks, I am sure you’ll enjoy it much on your next vacation as the engine would have crossed the infancy age.

Well written & you’ve captured a lot of details & have also been unbiased yet objective in your views.
yogeshsom29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2019, 16:50   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Lovely review!

Agree, this is one of the VFM products we have in the sub 10L segment -

I loved the car when I TDed it - was short, but got a feel of the capability. That was the first time I drove the 1.5L D engine from Ford. I asked someone who had extensive experience with the Freestyle and Figo S and the answer was, pick the Freestyle for practicality -

Don't go by the FE figures for Kerala roads, you'll see figures close to that when driven in straight highways without abrupt braking and acceleration.

The smoke is because you are pushing the car in the wrong gear / rpm, for a diesel, you should "build" speed and not stomp the accelerator. Nothing to worry though, you'll get used to the power delivery.

PS: Sorry about the below par dealership experience -
Thank you swiftnfurious

Indeed, Freestyle for practicality with decent space for ‘5’ average built personnel and comfortable ergonomics too. The roof cross bars with a luggage rack would be very useful for long hauls (Planning to get one). The only fly in the ointment are the missing grab handles, but I guess it would help the passengers to be in an aerobic state inadvertently during enthusiastic drives.

I have planned a week long road trip to Thanjavur Temple, Velankanni Church, Rameshwaram-Dhanushkodi; return via Madurai, Kodaikanal, Pollachi, Valparai and back to home in this month itself. Hope that I would see a rise in fuel economy.

Personally I do not believe that my driving (wrong gear vs rpm) is what actually causing the smokes, as I have driven extensively light to heavy vehicles in INDIA (Both Passenger and Goods) for breadwinning purpose in the past. Progressive acceleration is my ally whereas I personally hate when someone who is too lazy to change the gear as required, and harsh on their vehicles! At the same time I agree with the ‘getting used to the power delivery’ of the Freestyle. 4 Days and a Wake-up to be free with the ‘Freestyle’.

As I have mentioned before, they (Ford Dealership) have assured to check on the niggles and fix it ASAP before I reach home. Enthusiastic sales guys are a must for them to push the sales figures. Indeed, it’s the package + VFM price is what drives the ‘Freestyle’ sales in Kerala. I have seen 3 in my hometown prior to my delivery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Given that the thread started with the disclaimer that it might be hampered by a lack of technical knowledge and writing skills, I will say this to TBHPian cjnigesh, you cant pull a fast one on us! The thread is very detailed and your posts are well written with a good amount of photographs to back it up.

On the headlights, I will suggest you instead look at Osram Nightbreaker or the Philip's equivalents instead.
Thank you neil.jericho

IMHO, I was really skeptical on whether to write this thread or not, and it took me nearly 4 months and numerous self-proofreading to give it go at the end. I thought that attaining membership was the hardest part, but now realized all the aspects that articulate the ‘WHY’. I am really glad to know that it didn't turned out as bad as I thought!

I will certainly try the Osram NBs and/or the Philip's equivalents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Congratulations on the new car! Wish you a wonderful ownership period.

This doesn't mean any car with curtain bags can't have grab handles; could be a design inefficiency. But hey, safety over slight inconvenience.
Thank you libranof1987

True, one cannot have everything in life. It’s clearly a design inefficiency though. ‘Safety over slight inconvenience’ I like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Well, the air filter depends on how much you have driven and the conditions. I check mine every 3-4k kms and replace if required. You can also have a look if you feel the engine has got noisy and rough. It is the easiest part to replace to make a good difference in performance.

As for the intake plumbing, it is good you informed them to check.
Have marked the clamps in the picture below.
Awesome tharian

A pictorial representation worth a thousand words especially for someone like me who still in the learning curve as a Team-BHPian. My car was at south of 3K when I left home for work. I will take this into account going forward. Much appreciated your continued support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Regarding your dissatisfaction with the Philips H4 LED, I think the LED are not aligned properly.
You’re right about the LED alignment. I even questioned the technician post the upgrade and he didn’t even bother answering. Since I was getting late on last minute shopping prior to the return trip to work, decided to let go.

The video was really helpful and I eager to correct the alignment as soon as I get to home. Thank you sagarpadaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshsom29 View Post
Hi, congrats on your buy; it indeed is a very practical & sensible package over other hatchbacks, I am sure you’ll enjoy it much on your next vacation as the engine would have crossed the infancy age.

Well written & you’ve captured a lot of details & have also been unbiased yet objective in your views.
Thank you yogeshsom29

I can’t wait to get my hands on it and enjoy the drives, luckily few more day to go.
cjnigesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th April 2019, 11:40   #19
BHPian

Congratulations on this new purchase. The car indeed looks like a great package. Is anyone on this group wondering as to what will be the outcome of the Mahindra-Ford JV now that it is clear that Ford cannot survive on its own? I hope new car owners are not left in the lurch as they have some good products with the freestyle , ecosport and Endy. Did you hear anything while making this purchase from the dealership?

Maybe it is just me wondering about this JV and not having enough information at this point in time. I have been considering the freestyle as a replacement to my 2008 SX4 and stopped in my tracks as soon I found out that Ford is looking at bailing out. Would like to hear from all of you.
shiva75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2019, 17:00   #20

Thanks for the review guys. Just went ahead and booked a freestyle- smoke grey. Was looking to find the closest match to my Fiat Punto and Freestyle ended up to be most convincing choice.
vprax_2244 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 15:05   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vprax_2244 View Post
Thanks for the review guys. Just went ahead and booked a freestyle- smoke grey. Was looking to find the closest match to my Fiat Punto and Freestyle ended up to be most convincing choice.
I have the same colour vehicle in Ambiente Diesel avatar. Have been driving ti around for 10 months now convering 15500 kms and loving every bit of it. Please share your experiences so far with the car
Sk8r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2019, 18:13   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiva75 View Post
Congratulations on this new purchase. The car indeed looks like a great package. Is anyone on this group wondering as to what will be the outcome of the Mahindra-Ford JV now that it is clear that Ford cannot survive on its own?
Maybe it is just me wondering about this JV and not having enough information at this point in time. I have been considering the freestyle as a replacement to my 2008 SX4 and stopped in my tracks as soon I found out that Ford is looking at bailing out. Would like to hear from all of you.
Hi shiva75!

In my humble opinion, the Mahindra-Ford JV will be a win for Ford customers, because it will result in an increase in customer touch-points for Ford. So servicing should be at par atleast, if not better. I hope Ford and Mahindra have done a thorough case-study of the missteps of Tata-FIAT alliance, to avoid committing the same mistakes.

As for spares availability, if we go by Chevrolet's sudden demise and the relative ease with which people have access to spares, Ford is in a much better position to service customers (remember, Ford is a 49% share-holder of the JV; they aren't exiting the market).
mrinalnanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 13:00   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiva75 View Post
Congratulations on this new purchase. The car indeed looks like a great package. Is anyone on this group wondering as to what will be the outcome of the Mahindra-Ford JV.
Thank you shiva75. It's certainly a great package, but I severely miss the grab handles within the fully loaded titanium+ (need to find some solution) and poor illumination of the headlights (now it has been solved after multiple swaps from Halogen-LED-Halogen).

If my memory serves me right, I bought the car prior to the Mahindra-Ford JV has taken place, but completed my second service post their JV. I also visited more than a couple of Ford dealerships post the JV for parts and accessories and didn't see or felt any difference due to the JV, may be I wasn't a keen observer. I do not believe that the Ford India follows the same footsteps of Chevrolet India. Oh, by the way, have you bought the Freestyle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vprax_2244 View Post
Thanks for the review guys. Just went ahead and booked a freestyle- smoke grey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
I have the same colour vehicle in Ambiente Diesel avatar.
Hearty Congratulations to you both vprax_2244 and Sk8r. Please share your experiences with the Freestyle. Is the car struggling in second gear at law speeds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrinalnanda View Post
In my humble opinion, the Mahindra-Ford JV will be a win for Ford customers, because it will result in an increase in customer touch-points for Ford. So servicing should be at par atleast, if not better.[/b]
Thank you mrinalnanda, I hope the same, but I haven't seen or heard an increase in customer touch-points for Ford other than the existing Ford ASC and showrooms.
cjnigesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 00:54   #24
BHPian

There are multiple reports on social media of BS6 TDCi engine losing power (at speeds >80kmph) and jerking (while shifting gears). There's also a talk of Ford planning a recall for ECU updates etc. How prevalent and serious is this issue, among the long term users?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks