Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2018, 20:31   #1
BHPian

My 1st brand new car: The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+

Dreams do come true: The dream of purchasing a brand new car in my life has been scorching for well over a decade, and it has finally did come true in July 2018 in the shape of a Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+, hop in…

My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-41257880_1872905026086388_2864770996345241600_n.jpg

Now, please bear with me as you further read, due to my lack of technical knowledge and experience when it comes to automobiles and writing skills. Myself, Nigesh from Kerala, working as a QC Auditor for an American Corporate company in Afghanistan since 2009. That being stated, my driving time in INDIA has been very limited to 30-45 days in a year unfortunately! Bought my first car, in 2011 (Of course a 1997 Maruti 800), used it for mere less than 6 months and sold it off due to the lack of air-conditioning feature, then I bought a 2006 Hyundai Santro Xing XL, in the year of 2012. Succeeded in my research and finalized on a Hyundai Santro, as I have started reading Team-BHP in the same year. This Santro served me extensively well for over 6 years without a single breakdown and I loved that free revving engine and the exhaust note. Sold it off in June 2018 within the family due to lack of SAFETY features. Now she serves as a ‘Beater’ car for them.

Here is a quick glimpse of my car journey:

The 1997 Maruti 800
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-maruti-suzuki-800-1997.jpg

The 2006 Santro Xing XL
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-hyundai-santro-xing-xl-2006.jpg

The 2018 Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+ & the 'Happy Me'
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img_1009.jpg

Why need a new car?

I have got married in 2015 and the trips to the wife house have become very much exhausting due to the Kerala road conditions and traffic scenario. Now don’t get me wrong here, the Santro took all the beating and chauffeured us without a hick-up and I have clocked almost 40000 km on it before handed it over. Fast forward in Sep 2017, we have become the proud father and mother for 'Naithan'. So, my whole concept of a reliable and safe car has changed since then, started the serious hunt by reading the official Team-BHP reviews, ownership reports and all media reviews and what not! During this, I have decided to apply again for the Team-BHP membership (2nd attempt I think!), and trust me when I say that the Eureka effect is real! Thank you Moderators, Became a proud member since 02 Feb 2018.

What I was looking for:

• A hatchback or SUV simulations, as sedans in INDIA under 10 lakh budget have failed to impress me. Plus, egress and ingress limitations where I am living!
• Budget: Below 10 lakh, but I was OK to stretch it out due to this would be my first brand new car and my first ever bank loan! LOL
• Height adjustable driver seat, as it does wonders for wife while driving, not that she is short [Feel Good (Visibility) Factor]
• Minimum of 2 Airbags, ABS & EBD are must (would be very happy with more SAFETY features as it doesn’t hurt)
• A good reliable and punchy petrol or diesel mill, as the travelogue section in Team-BHP is tempting day by day!
• Manual Transmission for the sake of driving (will consider the slush box for future)
• Acceptable room for 4 people to travel comfortably with enough luggage capacity
• Good feature list, but no too keen on that are not used regularly!
• Good road presence IAW hatchback standards
• 170 mm or more ground clearance is a must
• ISOFIX is a must

Cars considered:

Note: I haven't had the chance to test drive most of the listed cars below, except the Hyundai Grand i10 & Creta, due to my limited vacations. I rather trusted our vast community ‘Team-BHP’ and its’ immense knowledge and experiences from countless members. Boy oh boy! I was so right as you could see my happy face! Please bear in mind that the below listed experiences are completely coming from a non-technical person, that too with no actual hands on test drives. Also, I am not very good at writing and keep everything intact within the memory unless it’s absolute important to me. So, you wouldn’t find the test drive dealership information, time frame and etc. Trust me, this would be my longest writing ever, LOL! May be with time and through ‘Team-BHP’ it would change as I always surprised to read thoroughly detailed ownership experiences, wonderful travelogues and etc. Wondering how would they even find time to do so!

Hyundai Grand i10: I did test drive this car in 2017 and paid the booking amount on the same day as well. But, had to cancel it the very next day as my brother-in-law booked for the same in exchange for his aging Alto. Myself and wife are always on the same page when it comes to so called ‘Uniqueness’. It fit perfectly within the budget, loved the car for its space and features, but honestly it didn’t really connect with our taste on driving experience.

Hyundai i20 & Active: Happened to drive one back in 2016 and didn’t really cut it for me (Steering too sensitive to my liking). Because of all the good qualities, there are too many out on road to be unique!

Hyundai Creta: I did test drive this one in 2017 as well, loved the space, premium and big car feeling and for the features. But, it did not impress me with the rear seat comfort (read under-thigh support), claustrophobic feel (May be it's just me!) and finally the turning radius in conjunction with my driveway. I was the only one who successfully managed to drive through there without scratching. The Hyundai guy who have brought the car even denied to try it! What would be the purpose of buying a car and no one at home won't even dare to drive because of the driveway? Decided to skip and move on (I have to find a different place to live in the future and to be vRSed).

Fiat Punto/Linea/Abarth Punto: I was able to drive my relative’s Linea once. Very impressed with the tank like build, driving pleasure, and that hydraulic steering, but realized also how accurate the ‘Team-BHP’ review as well. Decided to skip, because of all the ‘what you won’t like’ section within the official review.

Honda BR-V, Jazz & WRV: Same as Fiat’s case. Trusted the official and ownership reviews within our community. Plus, wife didn’t like all three models, I don’t know why?

Jeep Compass: Both me and wife loved it but decided to skip due to the huge turning radius and lack of space for what it offers and where it priced. Also, we were well informed by the relative who owns the Fiat Linea regarding the ASS experience!

Mahindra: We love the Thar and XUV, but Not now!

Maruti: Did I mention ‘Uniqueness’ earlier more than once?

Tata: There were only 2 Tata models we liked; Tiago (would be very small) & HEXA (Big Size, Big for my pocket to afford and Big for my driveway). Again not now!

Toyota: My need for space is not high as of now but need for savings are way up (Read Innova Cresta).

Renault/Skoda/Volkswagen: Again, Team-BHP reading experience have kept me away from the mentioned at least for now, but I love to be vRSed someday!

During this time I have decided to perform a reanalysis on my needs. The new car would be driven by my wife mostly as I am at work in Afghanistan. So, I have asked her ‘which one does she like?’ The answer was just in one word ‘Ecosport’ and I loved that idea. I also asked her 'How about the Figo S?' (I was trying to plant a seed in her mind about sportiness).

Ford Figo S: Although I love the Figo S, she didn’t like the regular Figo at all for God knows why?

I had almost give up the idea of buying a new car and then one day, I read the news about a Ford Crossover model based on the Figo platform is in the making. From there, everything happened in a very quick manner. They called it ‘Freestyle’ and she called it ‘Mini Ecosport’. As 'Powedrift' review states; It’s still a Figo who have just got back from ‘Decathlon’. Still, my wife wouldn’t agree the same!

Ford Ecosport: After the test drive, she has mentioned to me that it is a bit huge for her.

Ford Freestyle: Wife loved it at first sight and she even loved it more than the 'Ecosport'!

As you could see that I was not part of the whole Ford test drive session. Both the 'Ecosport' & 'Freestyle' were brought to my house by the dealership (Kairali Ford, Cheranalloor Kerala) upon request. According to my wife the test drive process was very smooth except none of the 4 sales executives have got '0' knowledge regarding the 'Freestyle'. They even ensure that the car comes with the Engine under-shield as standard, by pointing the rubber flap right underneath the bumper, LOL. Paid the booking amount (INR 5000) via check as I have learned that the Ford India has the habit of increasing the price of every product within the first couple of months of launch! It was then INR 7,89,000 Starting Price for the Titanium+ variant and to my surprise, it's still the same as of today (10-Oct-2018). Source: Ford India Website

Cost Breakdown:

• Ex showroom price: 7,89,000/-
• Registration & 15 years Road tax: 64,670/-
• The New India Insurance B2B: 21,097/- (IDV: 749,550)
• Optional 3rd year warranty with RSA (road side assistance): 8,133/-
• 3M Under body Paint Coating with warranty: 4,145/-
• Window Slimline Weather Shield: 1,750/-
• Neck Pillow (Pair): 450/-
• Car Cover: 1,299/-
• Pillow (Pair): 406/-
• Total: 8,90,950/-

Top Reasons why we chose Ford Freestyle:

• Even though it is based on a flopped model (Figo), it looks completely different and appears to be bigger in person (People mistaken it as ‘Ecosport’ for more than once)
• A car loaded with safety & other features to the brim (Not on par with Hyundai offers). I will cover those in detail, further down the review
• The rear seat has Good leg space & Under-thigh support along with Nice reclining angle makes passengers happy
• A healthy 190 mm of ground clearance will provide self-assurance without compromising the handling
• Enough space for 4 adults and a child, travel comfortably with luggage (Well-tuned suspension)
• An awesome Touch Screen Infotainment System with Valet Mode which is still best in class
• Value for money car under 9 lakh on road price (Top of the chain 1.5L Diesel Titanium+)
• Good Driveability & Handling Dynamics (In comparison with the most cars considered)
• Automatic Headlamps, Rain-sensing Wipers & Auto Dimming IRVM (Good size too)
• I always loved the conventional hatchback designs rather than futuristic
• A manageable sized car suitable for our driveway and parking space
• Feels unique out on the road (This is important for me and wife!)
• The car comes with a Height adjustable driver seat as standard
• Reversing camera display with Delay function
• A chilling air-con (But noisy at high levels)
• I like fabric seats more than leather
• It looks macho and feels rugged
• Lack of chrome
• My-Key Feature
• Team BHP

What could have been better:

• Weird Position for the Engine start & TCS OFF button (Often deactivated unintentionally by the passengers)
• Automatic folding side mirrors while locking and unlocking maneuvers
• Figo S’s Larger Spoiler would have been a nice addition to Freestyle
• Parcel tray could have been designed to accommodate something
• Boot could have been designed with better capacity
• The rear window doesn’t roll all the way down
• Adaptive guidelines for the Reversing camera
• Exposed windshield washers & spray nozzles
• Adjustable Head Rests for rear passengers
• Overall plastic quality is average
• Overall build quality, Fit & Finish
• A good set of speakers
• Wider (195 mm) tyres
• Non alloy spare wheel
• Passive key less entry
• A cooled glove box
• Splitting rear seat

What’s missing:

• No Built-in Navigation for the Titanium+ variant
• ‘0’ Rear Seat Door Storage but a recessed handle
• No Grab Handles at all
• Missing Hand Rest
• A Dead Pedal
• Mud Flaps
• ISOFIX

What’s ugly & Pathetic:

• The engine cover & under-shield accessory is not available in Cochin and Thrissur
• The ORVMs are way smaller in size and doesn’t cover everything out back (Blind Spots)
• Antenna is like a sore thumb (Automatic Car Wash?)
• Interior roof light illumination and its position
• Rear seat lap belt for the middle passenger
• The engine bay looks cramped and messy
• Headlight illumination
• Uneven panel gaps

Add-ons so far:

Upgraded the headlights to Philips LEDs (Still not satisfied!)
Park and fog lamps with matching white light (Non LEDs)

Cold Delivery Day July 10 2018

Delivery experience was pathetic. It was raining cats and dogs, and the dealership have arranged nothing! There was no one available to hand over the key or for a photo session either. I was constantly trying to be on the Skype video call on that day to ensure not to miss any of these, since this is my first ever brand new car buying experience, it didn't go nice at all! Then, the sales guy has started to explain the features etc. I had to stop him over the phone shortly after he has started, because he instructed my family to use hazard light switch only while raining! In addition, he could not even answer my question regarding "how to properly run-in the engine or is there a certain RPM limit that I should maintain till the first service?" All he was saying; "Sir, you could do 100 km or more in top gear, no problem!" Also, I had to force him to check underneath the car to make sure that I was right about the missing engine under-shield! LOL.

It was more than enough, I told my family to get back to home ASAP with the car as I am very confident that I know better than him through 'Team-BHP' of course. Here are some snaps from the 'D-Day'. Sorry for the picture quality.

My Brother in law was waiting for the sales guy!
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-imgpsh_fullsize-13.jpg

Instructing my wife as she was nervous obviously!
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-imgpsh_fullsize-16.jpg

Freestyle found its’ home
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-imgpsh_fullsize-4.jpg

IMHO, Cladding is better than Chrome in any day
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-imgpsh_fullsize-2.jpg

I have tried both left and right side of the porch, it’s just perfect size
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-imgpsh_fullsize-8.jpg

I still have enough room to park my ‘Bullet CI 350’ and or wife’s ‘Access 125’ by the side
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-imgpsh_fullsize-5.jpg

Honestly IMHO, this is the only colour actually suits this car
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-imgpsh_fullsize-29.jpg

My wife tried to get the matching floor tiles done for the porch before the delivery. Though, it's not quite matching; we liked the overall theme
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-imgpsh_fullsize-17.jpg

Time for Royal Coronation!
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-3.jpg

I couldn't help myself with the joy and excitement
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-1.jpg

Didn't end there either
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-2.jpg

IMHO, ‘Team-BHP’ stickers meant to be with the ‘Freestyle’ especially in this shade
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img0110.jpg

Now what was shocking at first:

Bonnet shut line on the left
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img0955.jpg

Bonnet shut line on the right
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img0956.jpg

Happy to notice the insulation, but found the culprit as well, anybody?
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img0953.jpg

Once closed, I could literally look within
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-1e143d22872841c0933e0e5a2efff903.jpg

I need to do something to minimize that gap (A Bug Deflector Screen May be?)
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img20181003wa0158.jpg

Is it normal panel gap as it seems to be getting wider?
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img0116.jpg

Glove box lid when closed
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img20181003wa0116.jpg

See the size of that lid, but usable space is less
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img20181003wa0126.jpg

Left side panel gap is much lesser than the right
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img20181003wa0174.jpg

But right supersedes in all aspects
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img20181003wa0188.jpg

How long does the cladding stick together, something that I am curious about
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img20181003wa0133.jpg

Love the alloy wheel design and the gun metal kinda shade
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img20181003wa0155.jpg

Personally, I love the grill design. Although the sides are sealed, do I have to worry about the flying debris?
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img20181003wa0157.jpg

No under protection and it seems like there was a good fight taken place with a sledge hammer
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img20181003wa0129.jpg

Last edited by cjnigesh : 20th October 2018 at 22:09. Reason: Corrected IAW with the requirements.
cjnigesh is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 13th October 2018, 13:39   #2
BHPian

re: My 1st brand new car: The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+

Wow what a mess! It seems like they were in such a rush to get these out on the road!
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img20181003wa0252.jpg

Now, the Ford India website shows one manual for Freestyle/Figo/Aspire. It states 2 different positioning of the Brake and Clutch Fluid Reservoir as you could see from the above picture (B&C). In this case, it is found on the right side.
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-capture.jpg

The coolant was way below that the minimum when delivered! I topped it up later upon noticing!
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img20181003wa0253.jpg

This is the coolant that I have used on my way to Ooty from one of the fuel station at Palakkad
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-1536cbf6c8bb1acf3a987e7fca174c02d7f065e828385e8f8apimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

I could literally fit my palm there at the boot lip area on the bumper! Dust Abatement process is also required here at all the time! I noticed even after closing the boot, the sensor does not capture it as closed! The dealership folks said that I have to keep any one of the 4 doors or windows slightly open, in order to have the said function flawlessly. Even the manual states the same 'If you are unable to fully close the liftgate, open the air vents or the windows to allow fresh air to enter your vehicle'.
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img20181003wa0081.jpg

Be prepared to do some dust abatement as there is gap under neath the back window
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img20181003wa0175.jpg

Planning to get a scratch resistant film ASAP due to the opening mouth is not being squarish, henceforth, it really gets cumbersome to load long/wide bags etc.
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img20181003wa0125.jpg

Thankfully no uneven gaps found here (left side), a nifty hook is being provided along with the removable parcel tray
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img20181003wa0159.jpg

Same case here on the right side, along with illumination. I am not sure of that recessed slot and its' purpose!
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img20181003wa0245.jpg

Parcel tray moves up with the boot lid via two strings attached to each sides
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img20181003wa0187.jpg

Or you could detach it, if you wish to do so, An avg. person could even sit on the bumper!
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img20181003wa0183.jpg

A built-in recessed handle is there to shut it, helpful for shorter folks
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img20181003wa0171.jpg

The boot lid itself feels heavy and it could have been redesigned to accommodate more liters
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img20181003wa0127.jpg

ORVMs are motorcycle friendly
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-ef.jpg

But, doesn't fold completely! Also you have to really squeeze the adjustment lever inwards to make it work (It has its own mind)
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-jhgfd.jpg

Driver seat in its most forward position
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img20181003wa0234.jpg

And in its most backward position
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img20181003wa0232.jpg

Minimum and maximum leg space at the rear, it's comfortable here as well. Interior plastic quality is average
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img20181003wa0122.jpg

Adjusted according to my height (5.9"), there is plenty of space in the back
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img20181003wa0231.jpg

Lap belt is provided for the middle seat passenger! No ISOFIX either!
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img20181003wa0120.jpg

So far, no one has complained about the headroom, although it's tight!
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img20181003wa0121.jpg

Good storage options within the front doors, opens wide in 3 stages
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img20181003wa0179.jpg

No storage space available within the rear doors, opens wide in 3 stages
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img20181003wa0184.jpg

There is a small cubbyhole present by driver side, useful for small items or a piece of cleaning cloth
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img20181003wa0182.jpg

The sore thumb, it's really ugly
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img20181003wa0156.jpg

Nothing fancy here
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img20181003wa0181.jpg

The area between the seat and the door is very wide and it makes getting in&out of the vehicle difficult, especially due to the extra cladding.
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img20181003wa0241.jpg

Non-alloy spare
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-78f7c31698b4a93e93e5b53124f11c3c87dcc1128c1ab3aa3apimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

Chunky steering wheel, nice to hold as well
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img20181003wa0180.jpg

Obtained the FasTag (ICICI), which turned out to be very helpful at the toll gates
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img20181003wa0140.jpg

Last edited by cjnigesh : 20th October 2018 at 23:56. Reason: Corrected IAW the requirements
cjnigesh is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 15th October 2018, 21:52   #3
BHPian

More close-up view of the boot with the mat provided as standard. I highly doubt the longevity of the boot lid latch mechanism!
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-imgpsh_fullsize-4.jpg

Pull type door handles suits well with the car's design. The window line slightly tilted up as it gets to the rear
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img0943.jpg

There is no '+' indication to the variant badge. The rear wiper does its job fairly.
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img0944.jpg

I liked the smoked headlamp design but only for the form not function!
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img20181003wa0209.jpg

Obtained the allotted number and I am in fond with this font.
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img0371.jpg

I love the butch look. The only thing actually sticks out is the 'Antenna'
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img0370.jpg

The rear three quarter look, It looks smart
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img0377.jpg

The faux air vent inserts attract a lot of dust. The dealership folks said that the mud flaps are not possible for Freestyle due to the plastic cladding.
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img20181003wa0214.jpg

From this angle, it reminds me of Baleno
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img0365.jpg

Size comparison, not bad right?
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img0983.jpg

On 10 Oct 18, got its first service done. Fixed the bonnet but the still the gaps are huge. At least now its more uniform.

Everyone love the clean car isn't true?
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-2049d6102dd14260a8573d9483e985fe.jpg

You could spot the steering cover add on
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-0a8be291c9c14b13a72f7fbe054e8dda.jpg

Any inputs on 'Antenna' replacement would be greatly appreciated. I love to have a 'Shark Fin' type towards the rear
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-b0fa3770644a413094dc1063aa1b2fd9.jpg

I put the 'Diesel' sticker on the fuel lid (Hard to spot on this picture)
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-b7469dedddf74a0d8d20c3bf83ca6bb8.jpg

Vehicle Report Card
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-0bf679ecb8f54897988864c9bd6ded99.jpg

The Tax Invoice
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-8369fea87230439b8cbb615670d456d4.jpg

Last edited by cjnigesh : 20th October 2018 at 23:39. Reason: Corrected IAW the requirements
cjnigesh is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 00:40   #4
BHPian

Since most places were completely filled with flood affected cars, I have decided to check this new car detailing place opened in my town called 'Coche Piel' for a wash (I have got it washed 3 times there in 30 days of my vacation). They did a good job but somehow the guy who was running the shop seems to be so busy setting up his other shops and didn't really give me the brand history (like 3M & Chemical Guys). All he said was this is a well known company and these detailing studios are just a beginning. They charge INR 400/- per wash including interior vacuum cleaning. Bought a car wash and a Lavender Scented Sanitizer from them.

The lighting was inadequate within the shop, doubted how they are even performing the high end detailing! The person in-charge said that they have just started.
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img20181003wa0202.jpg

They have another wash station on the right and may fit 3 hatchback at a time within the other side of the shop facing the highway.
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img20181003wa0200.jpg

The employee does not seems fit IAW the branded shop image
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img20181003wa0201.jpg

I had to request them to wipe it again upon finding some dirt.
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img20181003wa0192.jpg

Once finished and ready to roll
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img20181003wa0194.jpg

The products that I have bought from them
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-fcc6806ffc00ff73dd7d691b603db54bfe4127c39f9d64af66pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

They have also offered me the 'Acrylic sealant' package for INR 7,500/- with 3 year warranty with 3 free check-up. According to him this process would be enough for our climate rather than waxing or ceramic coating. Since, I do possess '0' knowledge on car detailing, politely denied the offer and will consider it for the future.

I did drive to Ooty with the family and decided to come back via Avalanche Manjur and Shornur. It paid off really well with nice scenery. Here are some snaps taken on our way back

Honestly I did not want to leave this place
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img20181003wa0176.jpg

Somewhere close to Avalanche
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img20181003wa0164.jpg

Another Angle
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img20180910113719.jpg

On our way back to Mannarkkad. This colour easily get dirty evidently dusty!
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img20181003wa0228.jpg

A shortcut was taken to Pathirippala, the road was mostly empty
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img20181003wa0110.jpg

The roads were bad due to the recent flood
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img20181003wa0114.jpg

Stopped here for stretching
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img20181003wa0115.jpg

Stopped on our way back at Tonico Cafe Koratty
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img1043.jpg

Back at home, now I have to wait for few more months to be 'Free' myself with 'Freestyle'. Note: This picture was taken during the first week of my vacation.
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img0209.jpg

Last edited by cjnigesh : 13th November 2018 at 12:28. Reason: Corrected IAW the requirements
cjnigesh is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 13th November 2018, 13:04   #5
BHPian

Missing bits and pieces:

Here is the Dashboard view, no grab handles here!
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-imgpsh_fullsize-14.jpg

The rear window doesn't roll down completely
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-imgpsh_fullsize-9.jpg

No storage options at the rear door except a small slot!
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-imgpsh_fullsize-8.jpg

No grab handles are provided at the rear as well!
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-imgpsh_fullsize-18.jpg

Its really dark in here due to the overall dark theme
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-imgpsh_fullsize-16.jpg

No dead pedal present, but there is enough space on the left to rest your foot
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-imgpsh_fullsize-10.jpg

The upgraded Philips LEDs & lights
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-imgpsh_fullsize-23.jpg

The OEM Stock bulbs that were replaced
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-imgpsh_fullsize-21.jpg

LED Headlight Close-up
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-imgpsh_fullsize-2.jpg

The White Fog lamp Bulb for overall effect
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-imgpsh_fullsize-3.jpg

The White Park Lamp Bulb for overall effect
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-imgpsh_fullsize-5.jpg

All lights in action
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-imgpsh_fullsize-1.jpg

Low Beam after upgrade
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-3911380f2a9f2f18e3f269b4619fb3847a52ea12cf2c8988f5pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

High Beam after upgrade
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-928389d29cebb9c74d485a0b76474ccc25ed6eb5b79ad5157dpimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

I was in a hurry and performed the swap with the help of my friend at his friend's shop located in Angamaly near to the LF Hospital. I am not satisfied with the upgrade and may consider to switch back to the halogen set up (Upgrade with relay). Any inputs on this regard would be greatly appreciated as I am not a DIY person and do not want to void the warranty as well!

The missing rubber bush has found its' way to the car post the first service!
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-0426888735a14a68bb62ec75ea5328b0.jpg

The standard 3D type mat has been provided at the front rear and at the boot, seems to be made with good quality.
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img20181003wa0118.jpg

Front doors have the non illuminated door sill guards present. The driver seat has manual height adjustment lever as well.
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img20181003wa0123.jpg

Passenger side door sill guard and no height adjustment here
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img20181003wa0117.jpg

The rubber beading is present on the frame, not the door
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img20181003wa0185.jpg

Did a mild off road drive near by my house
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-img0247.jpg

Last edited by cjnigesh : 13th November 2018 at 13:34. Reason: To add further content.
cjnigesh is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 13th November 2018, 13:48   #6
BHPian

Overall Quality:

Although the build quality seems like miles ahead in comparison to the cars that I have owned in the past, it still lacking in many areas compared to the Japanese, Koreans & European cars. But, I am satisfied because at the end of the day, we INDIANS are big on the value for money concept.

Comfort and Convenience:

Note: The Freestyle experience is being totally different for me so far, in comparison with the cars that I owned in the past. Listed below are the some that I was able to notice in a very limited time.

I wish that the car could have been equipped with passive key-less entry (Now I sounds greedy!). The key fob looks very nice and with manageable size too, I also like the feel which it offers while in hand (Read Premium). Personally, I like the pull type door handles and the feel it offers, IMHO, it suits and flows with the car’s design. Although, I am not sure about the functional longevity of these door handles! Unfortunately, I could not state the same for the door shut feel as it’s not in the same ballpark as the European cars; so called reassuring thud. Getting in to the car and settling in to a very commanding driving position is a breeze (Thanks to the Height adjustable driver’s seat), but I really miss the hand rest (not that my former cars had one)! But all of my company provided trucks within the department has one (Toyota Hilux Pickup, Ford Ranger Pickup & Chevy Suburban), and I am spoiled.

Steering feels nice to hold on and well sized for car in this size. Plus now, I have added a regular inexpensive cover makes it one size bigger. All control stalks and buttons are intuitive to operate but the feel that the headlight and wiper stalks offers; are different from other cars! I did not like it so far but I may need more time with the car to give it a final verdict. The clutch travel is short but hard at the same time and made my toe a bit uncomfortable after 250 km of drive to Ooty. Front seat belts are height adjustable and that’s a boon for my wife to be very comfortable while buckled up. The car does have a nice view through the well sized windshield almost with ‘0’ blind spots that I could remember (I may have to double check it later). The stock IRVM doesn’t require an upgrade and it is well sized and equipped with auto-dimming function as well. The ORVMs on the other hand failed big time IMHO. These are very small in size and does not provide enough sight of what’s happening at the back (I don’t know what to do with it?). It does fold in the opposite side which is really helpful in our country and the tight traffic scenarios, but it doesn’t completely fold inward and the adjustment stalk has its own mind (Only while folding & unfolding maneuvers).

Apparently everyone knows about the chilling air con that this car has, but for me, this is something new and first time hands on experience in comparison with my former cars. It does get noisy at higher levels but the equally great entertainment system breaks it even for me. I may consider to get a good set of speakers in the future, as it’s sounds little boomy in higher volume and seems compromising bit on clarity (I am not an Audiophile). The reading light or map light in this car has really poor illumination (May be because of the dark interior theme especially because of the dark headliner). A secondary light would have been a nice addition to cover the rear seat area as my family members had hard time locating their items in the dark, couple of times. Coming to the lights, none of the stock lights serve the purpose of night driving, I almost hit a pedestrian when he was jaywalking! I have upgraded to Philips LEDs, the very next day; but still do not satisfied with the scattered high beam white lights. Any inputs without voiding the warranty would be greatly appreciated. Ironically, the smoked effect on the headlight assembly really enhance the beauty of the car, LOL. Talking about the rear seat comfort, I had only travel in the rear for about 50 odd km and while at it, I realized that it’s very comfortable with good reclining angle, under-thigh support, leg space and not so bad head room, but the car severely misses out on grab handles (None present!). Matter of fact, that is the only complaint that I am constantly receiving from the family members so far, especially the elders! Now I realized, how much difference a small fitment makes compensating the ride quality!

I haven’t explore the renowned entertainment system and its convenience completely yet. So far it does very well. I am an old school guy and started this career well before everything became smart. Due to the ‘Operational Security Regulations’ which applies to my current job and its locations, I haven’t been fortunate with the word ‘Smart Devices’ until 3 months ago as the military lifted the ‘Ban’ with limited access (Means just within the living quarters). Henceforth, I am not really fond with smart conveniences yet, and that’s a good thing I guess (Sighs).

Engine & Driving Experience:

Note: I concur with the brilliant ‘Team-BHP’ official reviews of updated ‘Figo’ by Rehaan and the ‘Figo S’ by Vid6639.

The car had only south of 400 km in its clock when I reached home and by the time I left it was almost 2400 km. So, yes I have driven it for almost 2000 km which mostly included short and long highway runs (60%), City runs (20%) and Ghats sections (20%). Coming from ‘2’ petrol free revving hatchback experience, the car ‘Freestyle’ has been totally different experience so far. I love the look, feel and function of the gear lever which is far superior in comparison to the past. Although, I am completely aware of the ‘Turbo’ hides within the bay and this is not my first turbo powered vehicle driving experience as I was a commercial driver in light and heavy transportation, prior to Kuwait and Afghanistan. I did feel some strange lag in 1st and 2nd gear while I was heading up to Ooty. Initially I thought that I may be caring too much about the car as it’s brand new, but then I recalled the day in which we had to drive through some flooded areas between Alappuzha and Changanassery on 01 Sep 2018. It was almost midnight when we reached Alappuzha and decided to take the mentioned route after inquiring with the locals, later realized that it was a bad decision as we had to cross almost 4 places that too with almost 12”-15” deep water. Although I did cross with high caution and confidence from my past experiences (Came out trouble free), the doubts were still there (No engine under-shield) and hit me hard while I was in Ooty. Anyway, My wife did mention regarding the lag during the first service that was scheduled and completed on the 10 Oct 2018. They did check for errors and fortunately everything shows normal. I have posted the reference document pictures above. Again any inputs on this issue would be greatly appreciated. We have decided to try the pick-up and drop-off service offered by the Ford India Thrissur and they have only charged for the Toll-Gate Fee (The FasTag was out of balance). I have to call the technician or service adviser and find out what exactly they did as part of the service, because they have only provided the Vehicle Report Card & Tax Invoice!

Engine performance & driveability in the city:

It starts with the familiar diesel grunt upon cranking with negligible vibrations to start off. It moves from the stand still like as if the car is equipped with a creep function. Both me and wife loves it especially during the start & stop traffic scenarios within the city as we encounter it pretty much every day in Kerala due to the geography and winding roads. The clutch pedal action could be lighter as it would be taxing on your toes in the city and after a long drive. I felt a slight lag in second gear along with a mild knocking sound below 2000 rpm, but again, I haven’t spent enough time with the car to give it a final verdict yet. It was more evident while we were negotiating the speed breakers. Although, I always drives my cars enthusiastically (not thrashing) all the time and love to work the gears, but with Freestyle I have been skeptical to keep the engine always boiling, since it is a brand new car. So, it’s more on me than the car itself, I think!
For me, this car falls under the ‘Driver’s Car’ category when it comes to handling and driveability in the city. It reminded me of my ‘Santro’ on most aspects except the ‘Tall Boy’ design but with lesser body roll on the plus side. The ‘U’ turns are just fine with bit planning, as it has ‘5m’ turning radius. Due to its compact size and dimensions along with the properly sized steering (A bit huge for the car of its size IMHO), it’s very chuckable in the city and I love this character very much.

Engine performance & driveability on the highway:

Here is where I want to drive the freestyle all the time. I love it! The acceleration is instant compare to the cars that I owned in the past and there is no evident lag to speak of. On our way to Ooty and back with 4 adults, my son and enough luggage for couple of days; the car did not show any signs of struggle on the highways. Actually it was more fun to drive while fully loaded. Changing lanes were easy and the wide tires are actually confidence inspiring compared to the past experience. Torque, Torque and some more Torque (215nm) is what I love the most in this car. It actually got ‘5nm’ more than the ‘Ecosport”

Outright power, Refinement, Revv-happiness, Turbo-lag etc.:

Power is more than enough (100ps @ 3750 rpm & 215nm @ 1750-3000 rpm). The only area I felt short on power was in the Ghat section and I am not so sure why the car behaved sluggish. I was mostly in the first and second gear with 4 adults on board with tight but certainly moving traffic! Should I keep the engine boiling during such stretch? It’s one of the refined engine for a diesel mill and considerably Revv-happy type. But, I have experienced numerous times while upshifting with significant acceleration from first to second and to the third gear, noticed some amount of dark black smoke spits out from the exhaust pipe. Should I be worried? Is it because of the high compression ratio of the car (16:1)? Although, it’s a diesel powered car but the quantity and intensity of that smoke felt unusual for a new car at this earliest stage! Besides the slightest lag in second gear at low rpm there is nothing to complain. Any inputs on the aforementioned issue would be greatly appreciated.

Overall opinion on the engine:

I am yet to experience the car in full throttle and will get to drive more in Feb-Mar during my vacation and ensure to update this thread with the overall opinion. According to my wife who has driven more than I did since my last vacation; the car feels fabulous overall with no complaints at all.

Gearshift & clutch (smoothness, effort required, short or long throw etc.):

The gear knob is short and chunky and feels great to hold. It has a reassuring click feel whenever you slot between gears and felt way better than my previous cars. It comes to the center position after each transition. It has short throws (I am not sure in comparison with other brands) and feels heavenly for me and wife compared to the Santro and not at all rubbery. The required effort is considerably less and you have to use the pull type ring attached right underneath the gear knob to slot it into the reverse gear. So far I haven’t felt the need for the 6th gear as well.

Fuel efficiency: City and Highway:

Although the claimed ARAI efficiency for 1.5l TDCI Diesel Engine is 24.4km/l, I haven’t got a figure which is not even close yet! The minimum I have gotten so far is 14.1km/l and the maximum is 14.9km/l with mixed driving of City/Highway/Ghats! I hope it will get better as I spend more time with it on the road. With the 40l capacity I am getting 580km for a tank full with the average fuel economy of 14.5km/l. Petrol variant gets a 42l fuel tank.

Suspension & ride quality (at low as well as high speeds):

Suspension is bit on the stiffer side but as the car gathers speed it works very well by absorbing the harshness of the road and feel comfortable inside. I haven’t had any complaints on that regard. Yes, you do feel the road undulations along with negligible but bumpy ride quality at low speeds driving; especially on gravel roads or pothole filled city streets and state highways.

Handling, on-road behavior, grip levels, stability, body roll & turning radius:

I love to drive this car more and my motorcycling days are significantly less since got ‘Freestyled’. It handles very well regardless of the different terrains. The on-road behavior is predictable as its ‘fit like a glove’ kind of shape and dimension is perfect for our road conditions with wider tires (185/60 R15) offering great road grip, although I wish for one size up (195/55 R16). I haven’t felt that the car has much of worrisome body roll as I drove so far sedately. It is very chuckable in the city and highways alike. 5m turning radius had me taking 3 point turns on couple of really tight streets within the city limits.

Steering (size, feedback, weight, EPS / Hydraulic etc.):

It’s really huge in size for a car of this size and very nice to hold on to it accompanied by good grip level. I felt that the steering felt bit hard & tacky while you hold it for long time, thus I put a cheap but efficient aftermarket grip now all is well. It provides great feedback for an EPS type compared to my previous cars along with the cars that have compared except the fiat hydraulic ones, but felt light On-center at highways. It’s only tilt adjustable and not for reach unfortunately. It also returns to the center after a turn without any issues.

Braking (effectiveness, pedal feel...):

The car gets the ventilated discs at front and drum types at the rear with auto slack adjuster. Since this is my first ABS/EBD equipped vehicle and I am still learning. I haven’t tried the outright stopping power of the car intentionally yet! I am also satisfied with the braking effectiveness so far and fortunately no scary moments faced as well. But you do feel minor vibrations from the pedal during braking, I guess because of the ABS intrusions.
Off topic: The gap between the A, B, C pedals could have been a bit wider as there is no dead pedal provided. You do rub the adjacent pedal while driving with boots/running shoes/woodland type footwear on.

Ground clearance:

One of the main reason for that I picked Freestyle compared to other options was because of its SUV-rivaling ground clearance (195mm) & sporty suspension. I haven’t had any situations so far where I scraped the bottom regardless of following ride combinations: Solo, 2 adults with a child and 4 adults with a child. The rubber flap upfront beneath the front bumper scrubs on some tall road undulations, but it’s OK as it is flexible but I doubt the longevity of the same.

Summary:

I am proud of my selection with ‘0’ regrets. Thanks to ‘Team-BHP’ and its ever-growing members and their knowledge.

As I have mentioned within the first portion of the review; I had very limited days of vacation. I left the workplace with the strong desire of capturing every angle of my car for this review endeavor (which is very first time for me). Unfortunately, I hit my state right after the recent flood that literally havocked every square inch of Kerala in all aspects. In result, I had to take pretty much everyone from the family for a hospital visit, even for cold/fever symptoms, as I did not want to take any chance. I was the only one who haven’t had any discomfort due to the mandatory vaccination program provided by the US military that I have been fortunate for almost a decade now. Henceforth I could not really cover all aspects of the car while I was home; e.g. the entertainment system, different driving scenario and other quality related topics including more detailed photographs. In addition, the proper coordination is also something which is not possible as of now, since I am at work. Unfortunately there is not a single person available back home with same level of interest in Automobiles. I will try my level best to keep this thread alive as I venture out with Freestyle. Thank you & much appreciated for reading my first attempt in writing.
Drive Safe Mates…

Last edited by cjnigesh : 31st January 2019 at 23:21. Reason: to make it comprehensive
cjnigesh is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 07:24   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: My 1st brand new car: The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 11:00   #8
BANNED

Congratulations on your acquisition. Wishing you many happy miles.

I have found the culprit for your bonnet misalignment. It’s missing the bush on the right side. Any prizes for me??. I would love to keep my car with out any stickers hence I debadged my car. I am not convinced with stickers even though it is a pride to wear original team-bhp stickers. As we say to each his own.

When I test drove freestyle, I was not happy with the rear suspension as it felt a little more soft for my liking. Did you notice that or it is fine for you?

Last edited by pavi : 1st February 2019 at 11:01.
pavi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 11:46   #9
BHPian

Congratulations cjnigesh on the car! Brilliant write-up! I was surprised that you've pointed out so many not-so-pleasant things about your own car. Owners usually fail to find smaller faults with their own acquisitions. Wishing you many more happy miles with the Freestyle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
I would love to keep my car with out any stickers hence I debadged my car. I am not convinced with stickers even though it is a pride to wear original team-bhp stickers. As we say to each his own.
Agreed. I only have the one transparent "Driven by Team BHP" sticker on the top of the rear windshield. But yeah, to each his own
FrodoOfTheShire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 12:51   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjnigesh View Post
But, I have experienced numerous times while upshifting with significant acceleration from first to second and to the third gear, noticed some amount of dark black smoke spits out from the exhaust pipe. Should I be worried? Is it because of the high compression ratio of the car (16:1)? Although, it’s a diesel powered car but the quantity and intensity of that smoke felt unusual for a new car at this earliest stage! Besides the slightest lag in second gear at low rpm there is nothing to complain. Any inputs on the aforementioned issue would be greatly appreciated.
The smoking happens when the turbo spools up which is normal for this engine. As long as it is a puff of smoke and not continuous when accelerating gently.
Keep an eye out for the air filter getting dirty and you can replace it yourself if you feel it is too dirty as that affects the power and mileage on a turbo engine.

As for the lag, especially when crawling and climbing a ghat section, it is normal. You will need to slip the clutch a bit at times like that especially with a load. It should get better as you run more. You may also want to tighten all the clamps on the turbo plumbing as it was not on my Aspire when it was new and made a big difference once it was done.

Congrats on a capable car in all ways
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 20:21   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Lovely review! The first set of pics shows the glow of the brand new car and I LOVE IT! This color is undoubtedly the best on the Freestyle.

Agree, this is one of the VFM products we have in the sub 10L segment - much worthier than a Swift which scrapes 10L in some cities. And got to love your wife's enthusiasm too, for getting matching tiles for the garage.

I loved the car when I TDed it - was short, but got a feel of the capability. That was the first time I drove the 1.5L D engine from Ford. I asked someone who had extensive experience with the Freestyle and Figo S and the answer was, pick the Freestyle for practicality and Figo S for driving pleasure. The cars have been made / tweaked with correct purposes and I have to agree the Freestyle is high on practicality. It's decently spacious and is comfortable too.

Don't go by the FE figures for Kerala roads, you'll see figures close to that when driven in straight highways without abrupt braking and acceleration.

The smoke is because you are pushing the car in the wrong gear / rpm, for a diesel, you should "build" speed and not stomp the accelerator. Nothing to worry though, you'll get used to the power delivery.

Only one qualm - that's an overdose of stickers on the car. One really not need to paste all t-bhp stickers on one car. Wish you a lot of fun time with the car and safe motoring. And yes, please keep the updates coming.

PS: Sorry about the below par dealership experience - that's where Ford needs to focus much more. They (Ford) have good cars, they need enthusiastic sales guys to push it off the floor too. Am not sure why, I saw a lot of Freestyles in Kerala within a month of launch - the car will grab it's share of looks anywhere it passes through.Probably it's the package + VFM price is driving it - after all, Keralites (including me) are suckers for proper value product.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 1st February 2019 at 20:26.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2019, 13:01   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Given that the thread started with the disclaimer that it might be hampered by a lack of technical knowledge and writing skills, I will say this to TBHPian cjnigesh, you cant pull a fast one on us! The thread is very detailed and your posts are well written with a good amount of photographs to back it up.

On the headlights, I will suggest you instead look at Osram Nightbreaker or the Philip's equivalents instead. Ive been a Osram NB user for several years now and have them on nearly all the cars in our family. You can check videos on YouTube showing the difference in light output through side by side comparison from different models within the Osram family as well as other headlights. The advantage is they are suited to the OEM reflectors and improve the intensity of the light output as compared to the stock lights. Its the best Rs 1,500 - 2,000 upgrade you can give your car. I have put in the NB into my dad's Figo and the output is certainly better.

With LEDs, while one would rightly expect the output to be better, the science behind the size, design and output of the LEDs mean that the output is not always focussed properly in the real world. You can spend hours reading about it in the lighting section of TBHP and getting the right LED for the Ford Freestyle / Figo will involve some trial and error. Also the cops in different parts of the state are majorly clamping down on the aftermarket modifications and the LED lights would certainly draw their attention. Hence the Osram / Philips bulbs would be a safer option in the current scenario.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2019, 14:42   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!
Thank you GTO and all the moderators for approval.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
Congratulations on your acquisition. Wishing you many happy miles.

I have found the culprit for your bonnet misalignment. It’s missing the bush on the right side. Any prizes for me??. I would love to keep my car with out any stickers hence I debadged my car. I am not convinced with stickers even though it is a pride to wear original team-bhp stickers. As we say to each his own.

When I test drove freestyle, I was not happy with the rear suspension as it felt a little more soft for my liking. Did you notice that or it is fine for you?
Thank you pavi

You have got that right, how about a coffee one day maybe we’ll meet in Cochin, especially since my car has been badged like no other…?

Indeed and concurred. I am in the same boat as you’re, when it comes to the stickers but this time it is convincing for me, at least for now. I may go back to ‘Plain and Simple’ state of mind in the long run.

Yes, it does feel slightly soft at the rear but then again, the car is mostly driven by my wife very sedately at all the time (unlike me!). Also, I wasn’t able to be part of the whole test drive session and drove it for the first time after the purchase! I will consider an upgrade down the road, if necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoOfTheShire View Post
Congratulations cjnigesh on the car! Brilliant write-up! I was surprised that you've pointed out so many not-so-pleasant things about your own car. Owners usually fail to find smaller faults with their own acquisitions. Wishing you many more happy miles with the Freestyle!

Agreed. I only have the one transparent "Driven by Team BHP" sticker on the top of the rear windshield. But yeah, to each his own
Thank you FrodoOfTheShire

True, mostly due to the nature of my job and inspired from what I do on a daily basis here. Although, I realized that there are still some missing facts that should have included in the first place to begin with! But as we know ‘Never Say Never’ and will keep update this thread as time permits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
The smoking happens when the turbo spools up which is normal for this engine. As long as it is a puff of smoke and not continuous when accelerating gently.
Keep an eye out for the air filter getting dirty and you can replace it yourself if you feel it is too dirty as that affects the power and mileage on a turbo engine.

As for the lag, especially when crawling and climbing a ghat section, it is normal. You will need to slip the clutch a bit at times like that especially with a load. It should get better as you run more. You may also want to tighten all the clamps on the turbo plumbing as it was not on my Aspire when it was new and made a big difference once it was done.

Congrats on a capable car in all ways
Much appreciated for your great tips tharian

Yes, it is a puff of smoke and not continuous while accelerating gently. I haven’t checked the air filter yet, because of me being complacent in the sense of the car being new! I was skeptical on slipping the clutch until the so called ‘Engine Break-in’ at least till the first service.

But on 01 Feb 2019 (The same day the thread have gotten approved):

Great surprise to me and wife but at the same time, I knew it was only because of the fact that the thread went alive here on ‘Team-BHP’. Here is the surprise…

My wife have received a phone call from Ford Cochin right away and the person introduced himself as the manager; stated that he was directed by ‘Ford INDIA’ to make contact with us and ensure that each every niggle will have to be checked and fixed on free of cost immediately. I have requested them to check the air filter and turbo plumbing as per your valuable tips. They are yet to set a schedule for pick-up my car to do the mentioned check-up. Fingers crossed!

That was indeed a great moment for me and privileged to be a ‘Team-BHPian’ at the same time well done ‘Ford INDIA’ for listening to the customer concerns. Although, I was expecting some kind of feedback in general, as I have read the whole ‘K-Bar’ discussions of the ‘endeavour’ to the newly launched ‘ecosport S edition’ review vehicle request to Team-BHPians made by ‘GTO’.
cjnigesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2019, 14:56   #14
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations on the new car! Wish you a wonderful ownership period.

Quote:
Missing bits and pieces:

Here is the Dashboard view, no grab handles here!

No grab handles are provided at the rear as well!
That's courtesy the curtain airbags that your car is equipped with. It's the same in my EcoSport. This doesn't mean any car with curtain bags can't have grab handles; could be a design inefficiency. But hey, safety over slight inconvenience.
libranof1987 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th February 2019, 15:01   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

My wife have received a phone call from Ford Cochin right away and the person introduced himself as the manager; stated that he was directed by ‘Ford INDIA’ to make contact with us and ensure that each every niggle will have to be checked and fixed on free of cost immediately. I have requested them to check the air filter and turbo plumbing as per your valuable tips. They are yet to set a schedule for pick-up my car to do the mentioned check-up. Fingers crossed!
Well, the air filter depends on how much you have driven and the conditions. I check mine every 3-4k kms and replace if required. You can also have a look if you feel the engine has got noisy and rough. It is the easiest part to replace to make a good difference in performance.

As for the intake plumbing, it is good you informed them to check.
Have marked the clamps in the picture below.
Attached Thumbnails
My 1st brand new car:  The Ford Freestyle 1.5L Diesel Titanium+-turbo-clamps.png  

tharian is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks