Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2018, 19:03   #31
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster AWD : An owner's point of view

Heartiest Congratulations Samba !! Wish you endless miles with your Cherry Red Duster AWD.

I think it is a superb buying decision and that it is the ideal vehicle for your current requirements on an overall basis :
  1. Parking restrictions at your residence
  2. Light weighted Compact SUV which can go places
  3. Fast off the block considering the Power to Weight Ratio
  4. Can carry those jerry cans in abundance too
  5. Growing family size does require more space

However, I feel that the seeds of this buy were sown sometime in 2016. You might have forgotten, so sharing some pictures :

Renault Duster AWD : An owner's point of view-img20160209wa0018.jpg

Renault Duster AWD : An owner's point of view-img_9903.jpg

Renault Duster AWD : An owner's point of view-_mg_1960.jpg

Renault Duster AWD : An owner's point of view-p_20160209_132447.jpg

On the contrary, I am really jealous of you and wish I could just Buy Cars the way you do without having the need and without having any such plan.

Just go window shop, strike a deal and buy a Car. I do not even shop for groceries in that fashion forget buying a 10+ Lakh Car !

Kudos to you, stay blessed and keep writing/ sharing !

Last edited by AJ-got-BHP : 19th October 2018 at 19:04. Reason: Changes
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th October 2018, 11:06   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats Samba! Your Etios has seen places many SUVs wouldn't have. I wonder what this baby is gonna do.

Right of you to retain the Toyota.
Dry Ice is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 00:01   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
It is as if the right tool has reached the explorer. Congrats on the new car, she looks stunning in red.
Wish you thousands of happy kilometers.
Thanks a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Duster 4X4 is actually the pick of the segment for me and that includes the Creta. Its so much more capable and therefore so much more usable and wears its simplicity with pride. Congrats on your car.
Thanks, yes i would have gone for the Creta 1.6D but at 1L lesser i was getting a 4wd option in the Duster + the plush ride quality. Whereas i missed out on the stonker of an engine of the Creta. Overall the Duster is more VFM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav11stars View Post
Beautiful write-up and excellent pictures to match. In fact this is one of the most detailed review of a Duster I've seen till date. I didn't knew the Duster comes with the hydraulic steering setup. Thanks for that.
Congratulations and drive safe.
Thanks a ton.

Yes it comes with a hydraulic power steering and the hydraulic fluid reservoir is located in a very odd position too! Its located behind the front left fog lamp! Never seen such an odd position in any other car! Checking the fluid level is a task by itself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onecar View Post

May I request (albeit with a selfish motive) that please get a dash cam installed so that apart from other advantages as already expressed by the esteemed TBHPians we also get to see the roads less travelled like we are also present with you in your journey to wilderness .
Thanks.

Yes am in the market to buy a dash cam soon. Just waiting, if i can grab a good deal during the Diwali sales from the online portals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Congratulations Samba and welcome to the club. Your observations are spot on. Our AWD is touching 50k in 3 years and niggle free so far.
Thanks a lot and thanks for the wonderful tips.
Have you replaced the differential oil at every 20k interval for the AWD? Owners manual states so but on inquiring at the service center, people were more or less clueless on that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Only one negative about this report, if one may say so - I had hoped that you would take it to the Himalayas first before writing the ownership report. We would have got to see a stunning opening pic with a white peak at the background
Thanks a ton!

I was thinking the other way! I should wait to click this pic with a white Thar with white peak at the background!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAHS View Post
Congratulations on your new ride! Excellent report & stunning pics! Rated 5 stars
Thanks a ton. Hope to get some tips in the future from owners like you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
Pocket Rocket : Check
Fun to drive Hatch: Check
Fast & Economical 4M+ Sedan: Check
SUV / Crossover + Car like dynamics : Double Check
Thanks a ton.

I still miss my old gen Figo and the Alto K10. All cars have their own charm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-got-BHP View Post

You might have forgotten, so sharing some pictures
Thanks.

How can i forget that drive? It was dam fun and we enjoyed a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-got-BHP View Post
On the contrary, I am really jealous of you and wish I could just Buy Cars the way you do without having the need and without having any such plan.

Just go window shop, strike a deal and buy a Car. I do not even shop for groceries in that fashion forget buying a 10+ Lakh Car !
This part was hilarious! After reading your comment, i again went to the first paragraph to read what i have written!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Congrats Samba! Your Etios has seen places many SUVs wouldn't have. I wonder what this baby is gonna do.

Right of you to retain the Toyota.
Thanks a ton.

While fooling around with my Duster i suddenly realized, this pic can give a vague reference on how big is the boot space! I'm nearly 5 feet 10".

Renault Duster AWD : An owner's point of view-20181021_164843.jpg

Look, with whom my Duster shared the parking today!

Renault Duster AWD : An owner's point of view-img_9520.jpg

Last edited by Samba : 22nd October 2018 at 00:10.
Samba is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 06:32   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Thanks a lot and thanks for the wonderful tips.
Have you replaced the differential oil at every 20k interval for the AWD? Owners manual states so but on inquiring at the service center, people were more or less clueless on
This one puzzle i am unable to solve. The service centre folks are clueless. Will try it during 50k service.
C300 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 10:04   #35
BHPian

Beautiful write-up with some amazing pictures Samba. You make the car look even better with your photography skills. Knowing you, I am sure the car will be utilized optimally in your forthcoming trips.

One question. Why are you driving with ESP off ? Its a great feature & keeps your car in control.

Rated 5 stars

Cheers,

Pawan
PapaBravo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 11:27   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes am in the market to buy a dash cam soon. Just waiting, if i can grab a good deal during the Diwali sales from the online portals.
Maybe if you can wait for a month, the Aliexpress 11/11 sale should throw some nice deals.

Quote:
While fooling around with my Duster i suddenly realized, this pic can give a vague reference on how big is the boot space! I'm nearly 5 feet 10".
You motive while demonstrating the bootspace being able to accommodate a healthy adult looks highly suspicious
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 23:10   #37
BHPian

Great review Samba.

I was looking for a confirmation on the bulb type in for the low beam on my duster. Thanks for letting me know that they are H7.
psmenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2018, 00:50   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
This one puzzle i am unable to solve. The service centre folks are clueless. Will try it during 50k service.
A pic from the owners manual.

Renault Duster AWD : An owner's point of view-6046701527cf4462899e88779eec5cf1.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post

One question. Why are you driving with ESP off ? Its a great feature & keeps your car in control.
Thanks.

Actually till now am driving in 2wd mode. Will shift to Auto mode with ESP on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Maybe if you can wait for a month, the Aliexpress 11/11 sale should throw some nice deals.
Thanks for the pointer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
You motive while demonstrating the bootspace being able to accommodate a healthy adult looks highly suspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmenon View Post
Great review Samba.

I was looking for a confirmation on the bulb type in for the low beam on my duster. Thanks for letting me know that they are H7.
Thanks.

Even i got confused for a moment. So attaching a snap for you directly from the owners manual. Hope it helps.

Renault Duster AWD : An owner's point of view-img_9528.jpg

Last edited by Samba : 23rd October 2018 at 01:11.
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2018, 23:48   #39
BHPian

Fantastic review!

Loved your photographs as well.

Can you elaborate on why exactly you wanted the 2018 version than the 2017 one? Other than just being more current.

Regards
shourya_lahiri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2018, 19:51   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Duster completes 3,000km in 2 months.

Few observation's-

Lets start with the not so good part-

The niggles/ glitches-

1) The RPM fluctuation at idling was noticed thrice. All the 3 times it occurred after a hard drive. The last time it lasted for 4-5 seconds and settled down to normal.

A video for reference -

2)The climate control switch once refused to turn on. After a restart it worked fine till date.

3) The fuel meter has got a mind of its own! Thrice it showed empty tank where as there was enough diesel in tank. Twice of the three times it happened just after refueling. All the three times it got corrected of its own after some time.

4) When i was trying to adjust the headlight beam by the internal adjuster, i found the right side headlamp was not going up and down. Opened the bonnet and found that, the adjusting cable came off. Placed it back in position and for safety tied it with a tying cable. Since then its working fine.

5) The Osram Night breakers had good light but the focus was not spot on. I was not satisfied with the visibility on road so switched back to the stock lamps. The light is tad less but am happy with the focus.

6) The first service experience at Renault Barasat was pathetic. Even after the service, the Renault App do not show me as the first service has been done.
I called up Renault Customer care for that. Followed by that Renault Barasat guys called me and told me its indeed updated in their system but they have no clue why, its now showing in the Renault service app. The service adviser sent me a pic of the 1st service history updated in his computer.

If seen closely he had the audacity to enter it as- found water in diesel and customer refused to repair it!

Attaching a pic of the same. Check out the note at the lower extreme right corner. He was smart enough to try to hide it from the pic!

Renault Duster AWD : An owner's point of view-967852e01bf8429ca6ccb637804746b5.jpg

Where as Renault Budge Budge gave me a clean chit on the same fuel! Plus Renault Barasat didn't even clean my car.

Renault Budge budge did all the required work and as the 1st service was done by Ranault Barasat, Renault Budge Budge entered it as running repair and its updated in the Renault App as well.

The whole experience has been shared by me over here -

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4471159 (Renault Duster AWD : Official Review)

Now the good part-

1) My 7 years old 87,000 km run Etios is still running niggle free and never had a bad experience with it till date! Oh, i forgot, am posting in my Duster ownership thread now!

2) After the run in, we went for a 400 km day drive, with around 340 km on the highway with an average cruising speed of 100-110 km/hr with occasional spirited driving and 100% Ac on. I got a mileage of 14.8 km/L according to the MID. I do not drive with ECO mode on. So yet to test it. With sane driving an average of 15-16 km/L can be expected.

3) Its dam comfortable and the fatigue level can be compared to a sedan!

A pic from my last drive-

Renault Duster AWD : An owner's point of view-44617811_2542953052443239_3509214307780919296_n.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by shourya_lahiri View Post
Fantastic review!

Loved your photographs as well.

Can you elaborate on why exactly you wanted the 2018 version than the 2017 one? Other than just being more current.

Regards
Thanks.

1100D, SS-Traveller and my dad are hugely experienced. So just could not ignore their suggestion.

Few of the disadvantages -

The history of a long standing car is unknown.

We cant be sure if it was parked under shade or its weather beaten.

The stock yard may may be flood affected.

Last edited by Samba : 1st November 2018 at 20:01.
Samba is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th November 2018, 11:33   #41
BHPian

Quote:

2)The climate control switch once refused to turn on. After a restart it worked fine till date.

I had faced a similar problem. The Body control module had to be replaced.

Later I had a problem with the Airbag warning light as well and had the Restrain control module replaced. After that till date, no such problems, touch wood.
shourya_lahiri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2018, 13:30   #42
BHPian

I would not congratulate you, rather thank God you decided to go for Duster AWD. I have owned the face lifted AWD model thanks to your and PapaBravo's recommendation. I knew for sure AWD will be the best deal for a family of my size. I traveled 1700 kms to meet your "LalMohon"

Renault Duster AWD : An owner's point of view-img_20181014_172632.jpg

I have seen you do SUV tracks in your Etios. Looking forward to you doing some serious trails with an capable AWD.
ARAY is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st December 2018, 23:57   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Did a 1100 km trip a week back. Kolkata -Puri -Konark - Kolkata.

Currently the odo reading is at 4,300 km.

The car performed quite well and returned a mileage of around 16km/L with eco mode off.

Its quite peppy on the highway. Its an agile handler with good brakes.

No new niggles to be reported as of now.
The fuel meter is working fine for the last two refuels.
The rpm fluctuation was also not repeated for the last 1,500 km.

If any of the problem comes back, will update here.

Sharing few pics from the trip-

Renault Duster AWD : An owner's point of view-img_8577.jpg

Renault Duster AWD : An owner's point of view-img_8585.jpg

Renault Duster AWD : An owner's point of view-img_8586.jpg

Renault Duster AWD : An owner's point of view-img_8587.jpg

Last edited by Samba : 2nd December 2018 at 00:09.
Samba is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2018, 23:23   #44
BHPian

Nice update. Thanks for pointing out the issues you faced and the service experience.

I'm planning to buy a SUV and debating between the Duster (110/AWD) and the Safari. Your thread is helping a lot in understanding what to expect from the 2018 version od the Duster. Cheers. Happy Driving.
krish3 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 13:05   #45
BHPian

Krish3, the choice is clear between the Duster and Safari. As an owner of the Duster AWD for the last 3 years, I would recommend the Duster. It is fun to drive and handles well and road trips are enjoyable. In between there were issues with the diesel injector and clutch, but the last one year has been trouble free.
SajiNSalin is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks