Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2018, 10:19   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Driven: Volvo XC40

XC40 possibly the only latest gen Volvo the design of which I am not fond off. Infact I am not a fan of the watered down SUV's from any prestige brand - Audi Q2, BMW X1, Merc GLA etc.

For the price less than one of these, you could easily get something like a fully loaded mid size SUV like the Mazda CX-5 and not miss out on any feature at all. Its better looking too.
extreme_torque is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2018, 12:28   #32
Team-BHP Support

It’s kind of a unanimous view that Volvo has evolved from the breadbox designs of yesterday to the current range of classy and elegant designs. That said, though the XC60/90 or S90 are good-looking numbers, it doesn’t really have that youthful exuberance (this is something BMW somehow manage to achieve quite easily). XC40 probably is Volvo’s first attempt to woo the millennials, and I feel they are successful at that. The car has a proper crossover stance (not like some of the rivals, say the GLA), and I am happy that Volvo did not do the Russian doll model with this. The car has good road presence, and if I am in the market I will probably pick this over the XC60.

And great review; even though not tagged as an official review, the quality and attention to detail is immaculate!
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2018, 16:25   #33
MMV
BHPian

A very good review and a pleasant read about a drool worthy car.
Though Volvo as a brand has only made limited inroads in Indian luxury segment, it has few characteristic features which make people opt for it, safety and build quality being the main one . I am sure after reading this review many will also consider it along with a German cars of similar price range.

Last year, exactly the same afternoon on the day when multiple pile ups happened on Yamuna E-way, I was to travel on Yamuna expressway and was rethinking on the planned trip. My fears were allayed when I found that the car allotted was XC60. The initial feel I got after climbing in was it's safe like a tank!. The journey went smooth, needless to say, XC40 in that way should be equally good.

One aspect the driver then told me was his inability to do quick manoeuvre overtakes as the vehicle stops itself, in short he was referring to collision avoidance system

[he XC40 comes with similar driving aids as its larger siblings. These include Cruise Control, Adaptive Cruise Control, Pilot Assist, Lane Keeping Aid, Collision Avoid Assistance]

Would like to know views on the system esp from seasoned users as most overtaking on Indian roads are based on quick manoeuvring of cars.
Cheers and thanks again for a great review.
MMV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2018, 12:29   #34
BHPian

In a world where the Creta, Compass and now perhaps the Kicks didn't exist, this would be a compelling design. But they do, and imo it's a good car that needs a little something extra, which I don't really see here.

On a side note, the car I'm really excited for is the new S60.
Old 20th October 2018, 12:31   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post

The XC40 rides on 18" rims with 235/55 rubber and comes with a double wishbone suspension setup at the front and a multilink setup at the rear.
The advisor mentioned that the R-Design trim comes with a Sport chassis, where as Inscription gets the Four-C Chassis. In Volvo terminology this means Four-Corner(C) Air Suspension. I'm not able to see any mention of the same here. Mods can please clarify is it really Four Corner Air Suspension in the Inscription or its just a better handling chassis?

Attached snippet of the Indian brochure confirming chassis difference between variants.
Driven: Volvo XC40-screenshot-20181020-12.29.53.png
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2018, 12:41   #36
BANNED

A year and a bit ago Volvo was not on my radar. Since then VW (and family) have moved off, and Volvo have come in. In he UK Volvo is very popular with docs.

One small question are Volvo still using a lot of Ford engines?
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2018, 13:44   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
The advisor mentioned that the R-Design trim comes with a Sport chassis, where as Inscription gets the Four-C Chassis. In Volvo terminology this means Four-Corner(C) Air Suspension. I'm not able to see any mention of the same here. Mods can please clarify is it really Four Corner Air Suspension in the Inscription or its just a better handling chassis?
]
The inscription trim of the xc40 has active or adaptive conventional dampers not air suspension.

Air suspension is present only on SPA platform vehicles. CMA platform vehicles all have conventional dampers (adaptive or fixed).
reignofchaos is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2018, 00:16   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
A year and a bit ago Volvo was not on my radar. Since then VW (and family) have moved off, and Volvo have come in. In he UK Volvo is very popular with docs.

No. Volvo no longer uses Ford engines. The last one was in previous gen V40 diesel (D2, I suppose). It's all in-house developed now. That diesel has been one of the most horrible that I have driven till date.
Old 21st October 2018, 00:31   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post

MY2015 was the last when ford engines were used. My car is from that year and has a ford ecoboost engine and a getrag 6 speed dct.

Every car since MY2016 onwards uses VEA (Volvo engine architecture) or Drive-E engines and an Aisin 8 speed torque converter automatic gearbox. The AWD models use a conventional haldex 4wd system with torque vectoring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
XC40 possibly the only latest gen Volvo the design of which I am not fond off. Infact I am not a fan of the watered down SUV's from any prestige brand - Audi Q2, BMW X1, Merc GLA etc.

For the price less than one of these, you could easily get something like a fully loaded mid size SUV like the Mazda CX-5 and not miss out on any feature at all. Its better looking too.
Funny you say that as caradvice had a video on this exact matter and in this comparison at least, it is basically a no-contest.

https://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&so...iXEyzlw3MouRpw

Last edited by SDP : 21st October 2018 at 10:00. Reason: Merging back to back posts. Please edit or multi-quote instead of back to back posts
Old 21st October 2018, 02:45   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Funny you say that as caradvice had a video on this exact matter and in this comparison at least, it is basically a no-contest.

https://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&so...iXEyzlw3MouRpw
Not sure what you are looking at. This is from the caradvice review quoted verbatim.
"The Volvo, however, costs more than $15,000 over the CX-5 Akera if you add options to match the Mazda’s spec – a gap that blows out to about $17,500 once you factor in the Swedish brand’s high servicing costs over five years.

We’d be tempted to take a T5 Momentum loaded with a few key options, which wouldn’t look quite as stylish as the T5 R-Design, but would save thousands. It may also have tilted the balance of this comparison in the Volvo’s favour.

As it is, the CX-5 Akera combines its value advantage with the generally smoother ride and slightly more engaging dynamics to edge a tight fight between mainstream and luxury."
Old 21st October 2018, 09:31   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Kudos on another great mini review. It was a visual treat all the way. It is amazing how Volvo has been changing itself in the last few years. I fell in love with the V40 5 years back at the time of its launch and it was amongst the final 2 contenders before losing out to the 320d. The XC40 is once again such a gorgeous looking car, no crossover design & loaded with features unheard of in other cars. The only issue it is going to face is the price disadvantage. BMW and Audi with their discounts would ensure that Volvo will still find it a bit tough to sell it as much as they might want.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2018, 17:32   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Have driven both extensively and I'd buy the Kodiaq over the XC40.
Care to elaborate on that?

I've only driven the Kodiaq (a more than goodish bit), and to put it mildly, I was underwhelmed. On the other hand, I've only seen Volvos in the flesh - but the aesthetics (inside out), build and general brand track record have made me a drooling fan (the infuriating 2.0L 4 cylinder maximum notwithstanding), so it'd be nice to hear where the Kodiaq beats out the XC40 (other than space - which the Kodiaq has more of than even the XC60, I think) - it'd be a much appreciated point of reference for me, until the unlikely event of me getting behind the wheel of a Volvo.

I wager stiffer ride not compensated by sporty enough dynamics, not-DSG-quick shifts are substantial contributors to that.

Cheers!
Mu009 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 18:25   #43
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mu009 View Post
Care to elaborate on that?
- VAG's engine & gearbox tuning is better than Volvo's. Kodiaq should have had the 188 BHP tune though.

- Ride quality.

- Space. A H-U-G-E difference here. The XC40 is at best a self-driven car for a young couple with kids. The Kodiaq can be a proper family car.

- Rear seat comfort. The XC40 has too many compromises.

- The Kodiaq is significantly cheaper (even though its overpriced IMHO).

- It's got AWD .

- The Volvo has a lot of 'quirks". On the other hand, I found the Kodiaq to have a lot of "intelligence" (in the little things).

- 3rd row of seats. Can be useful at times.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th October 2018, 08:28   #44
BHPian

Great car with perfect interiors.
Every thing looked to be in perfect place except the bonnet release key on passenger side.
I really could not understand the logic behind this in such a high end car!
But I should mention that I had fell in love with the interiors especially the dashboard and the touch screen.
Thanks for the beautiful review.
Old 26th October 2018, 17:16   #45
Senior - BHPian

I couldn't help but notice that the entire car inside and out is filthy! It has been likely destroyed by media abuse. There is hard mud and dust in every corner of the engine bay, footwell and even on the wireless charging pad! It most likely is the reason the the sunroof squeak too. Well at-least we know the lava red footwell ages well and keeps clean even after abuse.

It's high time manufacturers start making media responsible, its abhorrent that such a new car has been practically destroyed because of the callousness of whoever did it.

Most Viewed