Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 13th August 2019, 13:00   #61

It is all wheel drive
shreephadnis is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2019, 16:25   #62
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Driven: Volvo XC40

I test drove this machine (Inscription- top end) a week back and I am completely floored with the myriad little things that are only possible by Vovlo.

To drive- I found it simply awesome, yes it was sluggish (its only a relative word) but boy it brought that grin remember its a 2.3 ton monster. Where its at home is on highways and pothole ridden roads. Seating position and the driver aids available on the tap of a screen are just awesome.

I believe this is a new design language and will hold good for about 5 years. I believe the engine is BS6 proof- has a space for urea tank by the diesel inlet cap. Which is also well thought.

I wasnt able to test the intelligent radar and the park assist as I was already mind blown seeing and driving it. But I am sure these are bug free and work pretty straight forward.

I think its a good proposition for buyers who look at X1, Q3, LR or even the sedans around this price range. I can surely say that this is the best we can get in terms of technology.

Few little thinks I loved:
1. there is a small coin compartment to the side of rear passenger seat
2. Coat hook is different- its got holes in it for you to fit your hanger
3. safer than a house- the windows are basic bullet proof (not sure of the spec though)
4. Can not topple over- I wouldnt bet that against our 'drivers'
5. The boot can actually be a bench- flat and seat 2.
6. the boot can convert so conveniently two partitions, hooks, charging etc etc
7. The front seats- oh wow

Plenty more as such - in few words- its a complete car.

Z

Last edited by SDP : 5th September 2019 at 09:48. Reason: Too many typos and grammar mistakes. Please proofread your posts before posting
zavegur is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 3rd September 2019, 17:15   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zavegur View Post
I believe this is a new design language and will hold good for about 5 years. I was the engine as well is BS6 proof- has a space for urea tank by the diesel inlet cap. Which is alos well thought.

Z
I dont think the engine can be retrofitted to BS6 economically. The space is there for the versions that are configured for BS6

Quote:
4. cannot topple over- i wouldnt bet that against our 'drivers'
Any car can topple over, it all depends on how you want to challenge gravity! The only car that won't topple is a Citroen 2CV since it has interconnected suspension and and engine hardy powerful enough to force it to challenge gravity !
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2019, 18:17   #64
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Thanks Ajmat, may be true the sales person was mentioning that they would recall the car to make it compliant. May be a sdales pitch. Will question them more on this.

Topple comment- again a sales pitch I am sure.

But this car is on a huge demand globally- it is said that only 4 cars are allotted to India every month that too is given to a customer who has paid or substantially paid for the machine.
zavegur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2019, 07:47   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zavegur View Post
I
3. safer than a house- the windows have basic bullet proof (not sure of the spec though)
This is the first time I am hearing this. And I am sure this is just more crap from your SA like the statements above about BS6 and car not toppling over.

Quote:
5. The boot can actually be a bench- flat and seat 2.
Again a first for me. In a car which advocates safety like no other, you are thinking of making 2 people cramp up inside that boot on the flat seat!
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2019, 08:05   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
This is the first time I am hearing this. And I am sure this is just more crap from your SA like the statements above about BS6 and car not toppling over.
Yes this is SA spewing BS. However while it may not be bulletproof but all Volvos do have significantly thicker than average laminated glass all round unlike most vehicles which have laminated glass only in the front. Lots of us have had issues with Fasttag not working properly because of this. Almost always the chap has to come and read the tag via a handheld scanner as the one on top doesn't work.
reignofchaos is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2019, 12:25   #67

Hi,

I recently had the opportunity to test drive and check out the XC40 in Mumbai. We were considering an entry-level luxury car for the first time. The shortlisted ones were X1, XC40 and Skoda Kodiaq.

We did not consider the Q3 because the model was too old, also not a fan of the looks and the GLA was simply too small for the back seat.

The XC40 completely blew us away except for two things (will come to that later).

The attention to detail in the car is amazing. What we loved:
Wireless Charging
Overall fit and finish of the entire cabin, feels very premium.
The tech inside the car, for example, the console is very upscale and modern, none of the other cars come close. The XC40 gets the same display as the XC60 and 90.
The safety features - Auto braking, active cruise control, lane assist, etc. (I am on the highway a lot, so these features set this car apart for me).
The USB-C charging at the back.
The overall build quality of the car also felt very very good.
Driving wise it was not as exciting as the BMW but it does do a great job at being an allrounder. Does not feel sluggish or slow. You feel safe once you are inside.
The front seat comfort is great, very ergonomic.
The trashbin, my wife loved it, as she always puts one in all our cars.
The back seat also has a decent room, I read somewhere that the X1 has more space, it surely does not feel that way. I can say this with confidence as X1 is the one we finally purchased.
The Digital instrument cluster also looks stunning.

Dislikes:
The first major issue is that the rear seat is very upright. I personally sit at the back a lot and here it seemed like there is no way to sit back and relax. I don't know if this can be modified later but for me it is was a big downer. Also, there are absolutely no adjustments on the rear eat, which other cars do offer. The seats are not uncomfortable, there is good room and cushioning but it's like sitting in attention.

The second is the price. This is the primary reason we did not end up buying the car. The final price at which we closed the X1 deal was a whopping 30%+ lower than the Volvo XC40 (roughly 10 lakhs).

In terms of technology, this is the best car in the segment without a doubt. I hope they can do something about the pricing. At the same price as X1, Q3, GLA, this would, without doubt, be the best pick of the lot.
dash2385 is offline   Reply With Quote