Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2018, 18:30   #16
BHPian

Re: My 2018 Pearl White Toyota Yaris V CVT

Congrats on your buy with a "your" in bold as you've stuck to your priorities irrespective of what reviews said or sale figure indicates.

You opted for safety- period!! & this makes a sensible buy on that note; ofcourse you get Toyota reliability complimentary with a probable peaceful after sales experience as well.

I am sure the love it or hate it looks (overall conservative & neat look with a non complimenting front grille) with a relatively higher price tag doomed a good product

Happy revving.
yogeshsom29 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 18:39   #17
BHPian

Honda city got a long awaited competitor. Looking forward to your experience of owning the Yaris. I hope this one sees more tarmac than the i10
ashishy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 19:54   #18
BHPian

Crisp, subtle and to-the-point. It's so well-written that I was able to get the gist of it by just browsing it.
I like the way Toyotas are designed keeping in mind the importance of functionality over unnecessary bling.
Keep revving and drive safe.
rav11stars is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 20:18   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats! Wishing you and your family many, many safe and happy journeys in your new Yaris.

All I can tell you is the car and TKM will look after you & your family. This isn't a head turner or road ripper (most Toyota vehicles are not ) but they make up in other ways.

As for Shaw Toyota - it seems they are still getting their house in order. Have been dealing with them for the past 6 months or so for spares and minor part replacements. It also served as a test of their capabilities for me. They are good (3-3.5/5 star) but I too feel there's scope for overall improvement. The gears/cogs at S-T are certainly not as well greased/oiled as DSK-T was. I live in eastern Pune so they're the closest to me location wise. My car will go to them for its annual service end Dec.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 22:59   #20
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the new car. She looks great in white.
I like your safety conscious decision and Toyota's commitment to safety(Although I don't understand the logic of Innova GX getting only 3 airbags.)

If I may ask, have you had any issues with ground clearance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Pricing is of course one reason called out for the poor sales...one would have thought the price would not be a deal breaker.
Toyota didn't understand that unlike the Innova and Fortuner, competitors in this segment are from well established brands.

The Honda City with great engines and reliability, the VFM and super efficient Ciaz, the feature packed Verna with an explosive diesel are all great cars with unique set of strengths.

The Innova has no real competitor which has proven its worth. The endeavor was late to the game to challenge the Fortuner.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 00:03   #21
BHPian

Thanks for sharing your review and your initial experiences.

Our 8 year old Civic AT is finally showing its age and the new one seems to be a few months away.
The Yaris seems like a good car. I'm personally more inclined towards buying an Amaze CVT or maybe even an Aspire AT, but I still have to test drive the Yaris.
sleepyk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 05:35   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
I've a 1.5 yr old Honda City VX CVT and would have considered the Yaris if it were available then.
Thanks Durango Dude. I have been following your posts on 2017 Honda City Facelift thread as City was also on my radar. Coming from Elantra, I also wonder why you did not go for ZX variant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
I test drove the Yaris and simply loved the brakes. .. As far as the dead pedal if you see the bit soiled section at the left side that part is the foot rest and is supposed to be used as a dead pedal.
Thanks sumeethaldankar. I agree with your observations on brakes. They are very effective. Regarding dead pedal, coming from i10 AT I miss it a lot and that soiled section is me keeping my foot over there out of habit. Toyota should address this issue at the earliest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
All other parameters are also not far off from what the competition offers. One would think it should easily average at least 2-3000 copies a month.
Thanks Rajeevraj. Agreed. I am keen to look at sales figures with discount being on offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punatic View Post
A question for you: do you have to visit the old city (Peth) areas often, and if yes, was your adjustment period a tough one as far as parking a longer car compared to your i10 is concerned?
Thanks Punatic. I don't visit Peth area often but adjusting to length of Yaris did not take much time and parking sensor (both in front and rear) help parking in tight spot (parallel parking).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutvij View Post
Can you please share your views about front seat height as compared to say Honda City.
Thank rutvij. Front seat height adjustment range is good and should suit people of all heights. I have not compared it with City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshsom29 View Post
You opted for safety- period!!
Thanks yogeshsom29. Yes Safety was the top priority and there were only few cars which met the criteria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I live in eastern Pune so they're the closest to me location wise. My car will go to them for its annual service end Dec.
Thanks R2D2. I too live in eastern Pune and that was one of the reasons for going with Shaw Toyota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
If I may ask, have you had any issues with ground clearance?
Thanks landcruiser123. No issues with ground clearance till now. I have not faced any issue with scrape of undercarriage over any bumps.
Simhi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 07:37   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post
Thanks Durango Dude. I have been following your posts on 2017 Honda City Facelift thread as City was also on my radar. Coming from Elantra, I also wonder why you did not go for ZX variant.
I was looking to buy the V variant, but went in for the VX, yes on second thoughts, I must have got the ZX. It was a mistake of judgment from my side.
Old 4th December 2018, 07:54   #24
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Sorry to drizzle on the parade. But don’t you think that the Yaris is a very expensively priced car considering what’s on offer and it’s pricing in International markets?
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 08:39   #25
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review - wish you well!
I would buy a Yaris if I were looking for a car today in this segment. I don’t mind higher price if they haven’t compromised on safety and quality! And Toyota cars are well engineered always! Happy revving!
Equus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 09:46   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
But don’t you think that the Yaris is a very expensively priced car considering what’s on offer and it’s pricing in International markets?

I did not look at international pricing but only compared pricing of cars which met my main criteria - 6 airbags and Petrol automatic.
If I look at just ex-showroom Pune (excluding insurance, discounts and other charges), then at the time of purchase

Yaris G AT - 11.85 Lacs
Verna SX(0) AT - 12.65 Lacs
Yaris V AT - 12.99 Lacs
City ZX CVT - 13.96 Lacs

City was going beyond my budget of 15 Lacs even after discounts. Between Yaris G and V, I had decided to go with V as I was getting all 4 Disc Brakes along with Front Parking Sensors and Alloy Wheels. So then it drilled down to Verna SX(0) vs Yaris V.

What was I missing from Verna - Sunroof, DRLs, Leather seats, Auto Dimming Inside Mirror, Proper Armrest and Dead pedal.
What was I getting over Verna - Brake Assist, All 4 wheel Disc Brakes, Front Parking Sensors (very useful), Acoustic & Vibration Control Glass and Windshield with Infrared cut off (NVH in Yaris is better than City and Verna)

Now it is up to Individuals to which features you give more weight-age.

As mentioned in the opening post, I still feel Yaris should have been priced 50K less to take on competition.

Last edited by Simhi : 4th December 2018 at 09:48. Reason: grammar
Simhi is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 10:02   #27
BANNED

@Simhi - with sunroof, you can't have roof mounted rear a/c vents.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 12:37   #28
BHPian

A very well written review Simhi . Congratulations on your new Toyota. Wish you and your family miles and miles with smiles! This also comes when you mentioned that the kids haven't vomited even once in the ghats section. Spacious interiors and beige tone, both add to that airy feel besides stable and composed ride.

Had I been looking for a sedan today, I'd have blindly gone for Yaris. Owning 2 Hondas (City & Jazz), I have noticed how Honda has deteriorated in the past in terms of quality and evident cost cutting, thus diminishing their brand image. I had a chance to briefly visit a Toyota dealership when Yaris was launched, post which I mentioned in my postulates on the forum that this is the car for those who are looking for quality and are willing to pay for it.

However, I noticed an eye-sore as mentioned by you in your review. Toyota has omitted the inner lining/cladding in the boot lid where the illumination lamp houses. Cost cutting? Not good of Toyota especially for Yaris at this price.

Keep revvin',
Simmi

Last edited by navin : 8th January 2019 at 16:38. Reason: typo
Nohonking is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 13:06   #29
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on getting the dependable workhorse in white.
As you have mentioned, the Yaris V ticked most of the boxes in your requirement checklist, and that's the way I feel cars should be bought - a mix of head and heart !
Wishing you many safe miles in your new car.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 14:28   #30
BHPian

Congrats on your new car! Wish you a happy ownership for the long years that you wish!

Just curious on your test samples. Any reason why there are no European cars like VW or Skoda?
Crank is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks