Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2007, 23:57   #31
Team-BHP Support

Actually Indicas are not at all as noisy as some of you think. And believe me this is not a defensive statement. I know a cold engine makes some noise initially, and thats probably true for most diesels. However let the Indica run a couple of kms and the sound just about gets muted...

Indica cabs are actually a different ball game. They make noise... and their suspensions are also harder. Thats because tatas kept them to the 2002 standards, by design. A cab costs about a lakh less than a top of the line personal Indica. However the NVH improvements and the softer sprung, better tuned suspensions are given only to the personal Indica line of cars. So I would suggest you ride a personal Indica, preferably a post 2003 car that has covered more than 2000 kms (engine has bedded in). The differences are very well understood. Of course bad examples of Indicas abound. People who do not follow the 6-monthly service schedule religiously, do not change the oil and filters in time have those rattly, noisy, smoky cars. Check out a well maintained car, check mine if you wish; you will realize that the differences are glaring my friend.

And yes, the 2007 Indica is costlier by a few grands (exact figures not yet available). They are keeping the Indica line fresh. The chances are big that Dicor range will debut soon with some minor cosmetic changes initially but the current NA line will also continue with this current 2007 looks. They are keeping the car looking fresh and the interest alive. A well thought out strategy actually.
Old 16th January 2007, 08:43   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
Great pics "Zappo".Thanx.I'm surprised why TATA's website doesn't reflect these changes?!.Does anyone know when these cars are going to be released in the market?.And, when is the 'TL' truck going to 'hit' the road?.
Xeta site has been updated with new pic...
Old 16th January 2007, 10:39   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Actually Indicas are not at all as noisy as some of you think. And believe me this is not a defensive statement. I know a cold engine makes some noise initially, and thats probably true for most diesels. However let the Indica run a couple of kms and the sound just about gets muted...

Indica cabs are actually a different ball game. They make noise... and their suspensions are also harder. Thats because tatas kept them to the 2002 standards, by design. A cab costs about a lakh less than a top of the line personal Indica. However the NVH improvements and the softer sprung, better tuned suspensions are given only to the personal Indica line of cars. So I would suggest you ride a personal Indica, preferably a post 2003 car that has covered more than 2000 kms (engine has bedded in). The differences are very well understood. Of course bad examples of Indicas abound. People who do not follow the 6-monthly service schedule religiously, do not change the oil and filters in time have those rattly, noisy, smoky cars. Check out a well maintained car, check mine if you wish; you will realize that the differences are glaring my friend.

And yes, the 2007 Indica is costlier by a few grands (exact figures not yet available). They are keeping the Indica line fresh. The chances are big that Dicor range will debut soon with some minor cosmetic changes initially but the current NA line will also continue with this current 2007 looks. They are keeping the car looking fresh and the interest alive. A well thought out strategy actually.
My office cab is a Indica DLE, the bare basic model with just the AC, its not the taxi model. Sitting on the rear seat i can feel the road, every bump, every minor undulation infact it feels like i am running my hand over the road and getting to feel the texture! All this feedback from the chasis and the seat of the pants feeling is great but it gets irksome after a while simply because the noise is too much to bear. Even my palio has the same character, but minus all the noise.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 16th January 2007 at 10:42.
Old 16th January 2007, 11:48   #34
BHPian

Cool pictures man.. Looks like Tata's have upped the ante. What's the increase in price??
Old 16th January 2007, 12:19   #35
BHPian

The finish and visual feel is so much better now, does any one see a hint of Fiat in the finish and interiors ?
Old 19th January 2007, 06:39   #36
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Very nice looking Indica but the problem with indica lies elsewhere. Its still too noisy and i am not talking about the engine. My office cab is a brand new Indica DLE, and the road noise inside is more than any of the other small cars, infact even on plain smooth roads the sound of the songs played on my laptop gets drowned. Besides i am not too impressed with the suspension, its lumpy and makes a great deal of noise. Hows the new indica in this regard?
Indicas were always known for their superior riding comfort when compared to other hatchbacks and you are complaining about the bad suspension. It seems to be like that the car may be badly maintained.
Old 19th January 2007, 14:24   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Indicas were always known for their superior riding comfort when compared to other hatchbacks and you are complaining about the bad suspension. It seems to be like that the car may be badly maintained.
Read my post again.
Old 20th January 2007, 00:09   #38
BHPian

Hey Zappo does the turbo diesel also get a rear spoiler now...the brochure says so....
Old 24th January 2007, 00:22   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by milin View Post
Hey Zappo does the turbo diesel also get a rear spoiler now...the brochure says so....
Definitely not the DLG version... maybe the top-of-the-range DLX does. I am not sure though.
Old 24th January 2007, 00:36   #40
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Zappo, gret pics. lookin good, the new indica. Will wait for the Dicor engine in it and go an buy one as soon as its out.
Old 25th January 2007, 08:22   #41
BHPian

Thanx Zappo for the pictures. Will you please share the price increase than the previous 2006 model.
Anybody, any news about Indica DICOR version, Swift is too costly to handle, looking eagerly for Indica.
Old 25th January 2007, 10:26   #42
BHPian

Now what?? is this Indica V3? I guess us...

Btw, Zappo detailed review and thanks for pictures...

Cheers,
Jai
Old 25th January 2007, 10:40   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
My office cab is a Indica DLE, its not the taxi model. Sitting on the rear seat i can feel the road, every bump, every minor undulation infact it feels like i am running my hand over the road and getting to feel the texture! All this feedback from the chasis and the seat of the pants feeling is great but it gets irksome after a while simply because the noise is too much to bear. Even my palio has the same character, but minus all the noise.
Maybe this could be happening because the Indica cab having Higher Tyre Pressure ? Its the done thing with all cabs for getting better FE..atleast thats what I have seen and heard.

Check up on this ,if possible try reducing the pressure and compare.

Cheers

EDIT - Zappo , brilliant review and nice pics mate. Thanks for sharing.
Old 29th January 2007, 16:37   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Dropped in to tata motors dealer in gurgaon last week to take delivery of a friend's safari lx,checked out this new indica,my obeservations are
  • The new grille and bumpers have given the car a fresh feel to it,but the panel gaps remain the same and the centre bottom grille and side bottom grilles are of different materials with looks bad if inspected closely.Also the centre aluminium bottom grille on almost half of the cars had broken meshes as the material used is very fragile.
  • The rear tailamps also have the same story when seen closely bad poor quality of design can be easily noticed
  • The color of the interiors have been changed to black which is a very welcome change since gray looked very dull and the poor quality switchgear looked even worse now black looks better but i observed the switchgear looks as poor as before and the round meters as on the previous model remain the same just the colors and the design have been changed which i didnt like at all as they looked like cheap copy of the ones in skoda octavia
  • apart from all this the car looks fresher than the previous version but NOT exciting at all + the engines being the same doesnt add any desirablity to the car.
Slowly i am starting to hate tata motors on what they are doing to their cars and the pace at which they are fooling that too despite owning very reliable 2002 Indica DLS,it was a good car when i bought it but i cant buy a indica in 2007,NEVER...

Last edited by .anshuman : 29th January 2007 at 16:40.
Old 20th February 2007, 13:43   #45
BHPian

How about the drive?

OK. I understand the cosmetic changes. They are fine - so to say!

But, how about the drive? Is it worth waiting for the DICOR (which I am sure is gonna be costlier), or is a SWIFT Diesel a worthy competitor (at the price its being offered)...or is this care GOOD.

Please disregard the VFM factor. I am sure the Indica has been a very VFM car (barring exceptions) right from its inception.

Thoughts???

Most Viewed