Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2019, 14:52   #31
BHPian

Re: Crossing the thin redline into madness. Meet Red, my old new BMW 328i

Congratulations on the new purchase.
This seems to be a thread which was written by the heart, a really great read and great pictures there.
I just have 2 questions for you
1. How practical is it coming from a jetta?
2. Most people pointed out this 2.0 petrol to be unrefined.
But u mentioned refinement as a plus over the jetta. How
would u compare it to the famed 1.8tsi in terms of
refinement?
JD_404 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2019, 14:54   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Lovely review. Thanks for sharing. Reading the review was like gently floating down a river of thoughts. Very well written. The car and the pictures complemented the flow of the review so well.
Seems to be an immaculate buy. Congratulations and wish you all the very best.
Thank you for thanking me, and for your wishes! I took my own sweet time composing my thoughts, so I'm glad it paid off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuPanda View Post
Lovely review, and a thoroughly entertaining writing style. The fantastic photos are totally drool worthy, and I am sure I will remember the BMW ad for a long time , and hopefully use it in a few years time!!!
Thanks Panda. You were always my favorite of all the Dreamworks characters. Dream it. Do it. I believe a great pre-owned BMW will be yours some day, soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshumandun View Post
Congrats buddy! What a car and what a review! I had to look up some words in dictionary though
Thank you, and apologies. I tried to keep bombastic words to a minimum, but I really do struggle with doing that, particularly when writing prose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshumandun View Post
I've noticed on tbhp reviews that most of the people who upgrade to BMWs used to drive Jetta. Maybe in one of the VAG meetings, the Audi guys told VW to stop selling Jetta in India so that they could compete better with BMW
That's too true. As far as I can recall, all the Jetta guys I interacted with on here switched to BMW. It really is the only upgrade from a driving perspective. Speaks poorly of our available options though, doesn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
Quite an imaginative mind you have there! Those analogies you've drawn all throughout that review are so vivid, yet very relatable.
That's what I was going for! Good to know I kinda nailed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
What a brilliant piece of machinery and a thoroughly enjoyable review. Rating this thread five deserving stars God speed.
Thank you, thank you, thank you. I do like 5 Stars. They are the best of all the Cadbury chocolates, except Bournville, maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhileshmdp View Post
Congratulations on getting the beauty in red, but more than the car I loved the way you write iliketurtles, very gripping and lucid......happy miles!!
Thank you so much, I'm pleased my senile mind has brought you some joy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
WOW!! Now that's a review written by a human being with emotions, with a heart, with a personal touch and not by a robot tasked to write a user manual of a car!
Yes! I couldn't get myself to recite a laundry list of features, this had to be done my way, with heart. Glad you see it that way!

Quote:
Loved reading every word and connected with your emotions during this buying & ownership journey. The car, the color, the pictures are all just perfect and your writing style makes it a refreshing read. Enjoy the car and drive safe!
Thank you, Khan saab. Appreciate it.

Quote:
PS: You have got me thinking on my next car! Need to search the classifieds for 328/330 as keywords
Do it. Do it now, or the ghosts of Bangles past will come and haunt your dreams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Amazing car, amazing colour, but the most amazing is your writing style! Congrats on the red beast. Enjoy that lovely petrol engine + the supremely talented ZF 8-speed. They'll keep you smiling for years to come.
Thanks a ton, GTO. I agree wholly, this is one ride I won't find wanting for thrills.

Quote:
I upgraded from a Civic to a pre-worshipped German, you did from a Jetta and so did many others (including Kurla West's Kanye West ). This trend will only expand among BHPians because of the vast choice in the pre-owned market & very tempting prices.
It's the sensible route to take, car prices are becoming stratospheric, and for the same price as this, I would have got a Creta or Elantra or so. Going for this is a no-brainer. Matter of fact, a friend of mine who only ever buys cars brand new got inspired a bit and picked up a 2017 CLA run barely 7000 kms for just about 19 lakhs. Incredible deal, that. How do you look past that kind of value? Of course, Kanye helped push me in the right direction

Quote:
If you don't mind sharing, how much did you pick her up for? Hope you join us at one of our Sunny lunch meets. Would love to see it in person.
Absolutely no problem in mentioning that, I paid about 18 lakhs for it. It genuinely never struck me that its price would be something people would ask me about, and I realized how wrong I was after a few PM's and whatsapp messages.

Rest assured I'll be there at one of our mega meets sooner or later, no way I'm gonna miss a chance to take her out on the highway or meet fellow car nuts.

Quote:
This thread is on our homepage & I must say, the car is making our homepage look better .
Aasu aa gaye. I finally made it! Look mama, I'm on the the home page of Team BHP (cue dancing banana emoji)

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis_fowl View Post
What a write up! I thoroughly enjoyed it. You, sir, do have a penchant for writing. Those photos are delicious for sure! If you don’t mind, can you share the price?
Thank you Arty. I hope you enjoyed reading through it as much as I enjoyed writing it. My buddy Assad clicked some amazing pics, and I can't thank him enough for it.

Zero issues with sharing money matters on here, don't get why there should be a shroud of secrecy surrounding it. I paid about 18 lakhs for it. The insurance was expiring, but no service was required for a few months at least, and it had virgin-esque Pirelli's on it. So it made a lot of sense if you ask me.

Quote:
The 3 series is possibly the only true upgrade from the Jettas and Lauras of the world (unless you significantly stretch your budget, of course. Just my thoughts.)
I agree wholly. I think in our market, BMW's represent the only true upgrade from a Jetta (sedan to sedan) since Audi's engine options are a bit woeful (except for the pointy end of the 1 crore spectrum), and Merc's are beautiful, but not quite for me. Yet. Abhi toh main jawaan hu.

Quote:
You have just got me searching for pre-worshipped beauties and looks like luck is on my side! Of course, I may just be making some khayali pulao!
Cook that pulao, stir that pot. I saw great E classes for 25 lakhs (!!!) and that much or a little more could net you a great 530d, which is an amazing car. One doesn't need much more than that, but then we always want more, more, more. I honestly didn't have the budget for the 5, hence the 3 came home. And I'm loving every bit of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD_404 View Post
Congratulations on the new purchase.
This seems to be a thread which was written by the heart, a really great read and great pictures there.
You guessed right. What is life, if not lived?

Quote:
I just have 2 questions for you
1. How practical is it coming from a jetta?
The Jetta is absolutely more practical, it's not even close. It's got better space at the back, the fuel bills are a heck of a lot less, the maintenance and insurance is less and the boot space is a heck of a lot more! I think it's a wonderfully balanced car, has something for everyone, the boy racer, the overgrown man child, the business going exec and more. Let's just say the Jetta appeals more to the head, the 3 more to the heart.

Quote:
2. Most people pointed out this 2.0 petrol to be unrefined.
But u mentioned refinement as a plus over the jetta. How
would u compare it to the famed 1.8tsi in terms of
refinement?
I have no experience of the 1.8 TSI, so let me compare it to my beloved Jetta.

When people speak of the lack of refinement in this particular N20 engine, I believe they're referring to the gruffness of its engine and exhaust note. Let's be honest, it's not going to win any singing competitions. It sounds alright in stock mode, and even now, after doing up the exhaust, I only really like it in Sports mode. It's gravelly in Comfort mode and surprisingly boomy in Eco Pro mode.

However, when I speak of it being more refined than the Jetta, I speak of the entire package. It's more silent than the Jetta, has sound insulation that's a little better than the Jetta and it has great ride quality, that too on 18 inch wheels. The interiors are far better than the Jetta due to the few feel-good bits like the red trim, sports seats and heads up display and it's just a much nicer place to be. It's absolutely more refined than the Jetta. The Jetta's diesel motor might have been working away just out of sight, but you could hear it a bit, feel it a bit. It's not so in the N20. This motor's lack of refinement is in its aural appeal, which many (I think rightly) feel it lacks ever since they lopped off 2 cylinders to make it a 4 cylinder engine. That's where the bone of contention is. Not in the overall package, which is far and away better than the Jetta.

I hope I managed to make a bit of sense by way of reply, and that I cleared things up a bit for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBond007 View Post
Congratulations on your new love. Looks sizzling in Red.
Your writing skills is awesome. It brought smile on my face umpteen times.
Thank you, Monsieur Bond. And thank you for appreciate my cunning linguistics. I'm glad to have made you smile, we don't do it often enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBond007 View Post
You should consider writing a novel. It would be a certain hit.
That is very, very high praise indeed, thank you. It is not the first time I have been told this. Methinks I should get off my lazy ass and make a move on.

Last edited by iliketurtles : 11th April 2019 at 15:10. Reason: Added a reply. Or two.
iliketurtles is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 11th April 2019, 15:05   #33
BHPian

Congratulations on your new love. Looks sizzling in Red.
Your writing skills is awesome. It brought smile on my face umpteen times. You should consider writing a novel. It would be a certain hit.
MBond007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2019, 15:29   #34
BHPian

Congrats buddy! Many may have a better car still... but what a review! Finished it in one go and your emotions resonate as I am too on the lookout for a mile muncher, albeit for a slightly different usage!
AGwagon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2019, 16:24   #35
Team-BHP Support

Had a quick speed glance - what an amazing post and congratulations on your acquisition. I absolutely loved your style of writing. Can't possibly savour this read on a weekday - this is going to be a slow and easy read for me on a weekend with a hot cuppa.

Beautiful pictures too - need to make friends with your official photographer too!!
Axe77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2019, 16:37   #36
BHPian

Read & Re-read - Car, though every bit beautiful & sensuous yet, pales in comparison to your writing skills.

Entertaining, Informative, Emotive & what not; like many said, you must try your hand at writing; you can be the Mr. Funnybones author
yogeshsom29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2019, 17:14   #37
BHPian

Congratulations on your old new car!

But, what really impressed was your take on English - this ownership piece is a treatise and made me quickly go through your earlier posts.

Brilliantly written and eerily similar to Sam Kapasi's.

Danke,
Sayak

Last edited by sayakc : 11th April 2019 at 17:36.
sayakc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2019, 18:12   #38
VSD
BHPian

Congratulations on the buy !!
This was an amazing review, Enjoyed reading it till the end. I'd like to hear how the exhaust sounds with the valves setup.

I also enjoy the pops & bangs when needed whereas for everyday use the closed valves are necessary. Wish you thousands of fun filled miles with your new old 328i. Cheers !!
VSD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2019, 18:36   #39
Senior - BHPian

Karan,

Congratulations on getting the 328i. She sure looks brilliant and I just love the colour (why will I not, Im a Ferrari person ) Time to catch up wot? It's been a while isnt it?

Loved reading every bit of it, really enjoy your style. Chalo ab milte hai soon
Dippy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2019, 18:39   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Thank you for thanking me, and for your wishes! I took my

Thanks a ton, GTO. I agree wholly, this is one ride I won't find wanting for thrills.

It's the sensible route to take, car prices are becoming stratospheric, and for the same price as this, I would have got a Creta or Elantra or so. Going for this is a no-brainer. Matter of fact, a friend of mine who only ever buys cars brand new got inspired a bit and picked up a 2017 CLA run barely 7000 kms for just about 19 lakhs. Incredible deal, that. How do you look past that kind of value? Of course, Kanye helped push me in the right direction

Absolutely no problem in mentioning that, I paid about 18 lakhs for it. It genuinely never struck me that its price would be something people would ask me about, and I realized how wrong I was after a few PM's and whatsapp messages.
That's sounds to be a very nice deal. I am a pre-owned guy myself and have always dreamt of buying one of the big Germans. Would happily pay in these ranges for my next upgrade from my Vento TSI. With the way prices are currently, don't see a worthy new car to upgrade to in the 20L range.
Rajeevraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th April 2019, 18:41   #41
BHPian

Congrats on your new acquisition. The pictures look gorgeous.
deepfreak15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2019, 19:11   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGwagon View Post
Congrats buddy! Many may have a better car still... but what a review! Finished it in one go and your emotions resonate as I am too on the lookout for a mile muncher, albeit for a slightly different usage!
Thanks buddy. It's so important to have an emotional connect to your car, else it's just a collection of rubber, metal, plastic et al. All the luck in your hunt for a new steed, may she be utterly awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Had a quick speed glance - what an amazing post and congratulations on your acquisition. I absolutely loved your style of writing. Can't possibly savour this read on a weekday - this is going to be a slow and easy read for me on a weekend with a hot cuppa.
Thanks Axe! Don't forget to add some cinnamon to that cuppa chai. If cinnamon and chai is even your cup of tea, I dunno. Take my advice with a pinch of salt. Or cinnamon. Whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Beautiful pictures too - need to make friends with your official photographer too!!
Aye, they are. Assad Dadan's his name, and he's a stunning food photographer. Glad he chose to be my shutterbug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshsom29 View Post
Read & Re-read - Car, though every bit beautiful & sensuous yet, pales in comparison to your writing skills.
Thanks a lot saar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshsom29 View Post
Entertaining, Informative, Emotive & what not; like many said, you must try your hand at writing; you can be the Mr. Funnybones author
But there's already one Mr. Funnybones, and he's too busy endorsing god knows how many brands. Can't I just be me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayakc View Post
Congratulations on your old new car!

But, what really impressed was your take on English - this ownership piece is a treatise and made me quickly go through your earlier posts.

Brilliantly written and eerily similar to Sam Kapasi's.

Danke,
Sayak
Thanks Sayak. Thanks for the kind words sir, and the high praise in drawing parallels with Sam Kapasi. He really was something else around these parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSD View Post
Congratulations on the buy !!
This was an amazing review, Enjoyed reading it till the end. I'd like to hear how the exhaust sounds with the valves setup.
Thank you! I'm figuring out how to try and capture the audio properly, will absolutely put something up once I figure things out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSD View Post
I also enjoy the pops & bangs when needed whereas for everyday use the closed valves are necessary. Wish you thousands of fun filled miles with your new old 328i. Cheers !!
Exactly! Not enough pops and bags for now, but I do intend to get a catless downpipe and tune things so that it's more "burbly". But no fire from the exhaust please, that's so not my taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Karan,

Congratulations on getting the 328i. She sure looks brilliant and I just love the colour (why will I not, Im a Ferrari person ) Time to catch up wot? It's been a while isnt it?

Loved reading every bit of it, really enjoy your style. Chalo ab milte hai soon
Hola! Absolutely is time to catch up, been way too long. must catch up soon. And thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
That's sounds to be a very nice deal. I am a pre-owned guy myself and have always dreamt of buying one of the big Germans. Would happily pay in these ranges for my next upgrade from my Vento TSI. With the way prices are currently, don't see a worthy new car to upgrade to in the 20L range.
I agree, enthusiasts have very few options in the 20 lakh range for an upgrade. All the sporty cars are out of reach for most, leaving us to pick off deals like this. For every Abarth Punto, Tiago JTP, and Polo GT TSI there's a ton of dross. It's quite depressing really. Good luck in your hunt for The One.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfreak15 View Post
Congrats on your new acquisition. The pictures look gorgeous.
Thanks deepfreak!
iliketurtles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2019, 19:55   #43
BHPian

Wow!!! Great write-up, fantastic pictures, and a powerful turbo petrol car. All the line items checked for a perfect ownership review.

Wish you many happy miles with this!
Biraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2019, 04:47   #44
BHPian

Congrats and superb review man. Hold on to the car for as long as you can, they are a rare breed in today's world.

Wanted a suggestion from you regarding the location of the best dealer/garage for third party servicing and aftermarket parts for BMWs in Mumbai area. I want to get some things changed on my 9 yr old E90 330i like corona rings, wheels, etc.
haldar_siliguri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2019, 09:53   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
Wow!!! Great write-up, fantastic pictures, and a powerful turbo petrol car. All the line items checked for a perfect ownership review. Wish you many happy miles with this!
Thank you, Biraj. I'm not sure I've hit perfection with this, but glad you feel otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haldar_siliguri View Post
Congrats and superb review man. Hold on to the car for as long as you can, they are a rare breed in today's world.
Thanks buddy. You can bet your last rupee I'm hanging on to this for quite some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haldar_siliguri View Post
Wanted a suggestion from you regarding the location of the best dealer/garage for third party servicing and aftermarket parts for BMWs in Mumbai area. I want to get some things changed on my 9 yr old E90 330i like corona rings, wheels, etc.
The 330i is such a sweet car, glad they're still around. I've only just begun exploring the aftermarket BMW scene in Mumbai, and beyond. Let me explore a bit further before I offer up an answer.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed