Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2023, 01:16   #331
BHPian

Re: Crossing the thin redline into madness. Meet Red, my old new BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
IYour mileage may vary!
Lol. Well, I've hardly looked at the screen as most of my important information is displayed in the HUD including navigation. It's the main reason why I've kept my maps up to date. Frequently visited destinations, including holiday spots, are stored. Was there a conscious reason for going with this screen over OEM? I'm looking at upgrading to NBT Evo as I lose no functionality and that brings Carplay and Android Auto out of the box. I'm also upgrading to a virginised 6WB digital cluster, both available from my favourite supplier who also helped me retrofit CC with LIM.

Your thoughts on this?

Last edited by Moontan : 21st December 2023 at 01:19.
Old 21st December 2023, 09:25   #332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moontan View Post
Was there a conscious reason for going with this screen over OEM? I'm looking at upgrading to NBT Evo as I lose no functionality and that brings Carplay and Android Auto out of the box.
The screen you see is the third screen on the car. After the first one went bad, I put in another OEM screen, which also went bad. So with the car going off to a new buyer, I couldn't risk it happening a third time, hence went the aftermarket route. Plus, upgrading to NBT EVO is a 1 lakh+ job, which makes no sense if all you're after is CarPlay/Android Auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moontan View Post
I'm also upgrading to a virginised 6WB digital cluster, both available from my favourite supplier who also helped me retrofit CC with LIM. Your thoughts on this?
The 6WB is a wonderful option that modernises the cabin, go for it, you won't regret it.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2023, 10:58   #333
BHPian

Quote:
[b]

Goodbye, red. May you howl down highways, wherever they may lead you. You were one of a kind.
[/i]
Sir, you write beautifully. It felt like you let go of a piece of your heart. I am fighing a hard battle between head and heart as I finalise on my first car. Heart wants something YOLO, while brain says buy something modest your middle-class upbringing approves of. And your post is just the right food my brain required to let itself lose on this one. I am now convinced that I'll buy my first car that brings butterflies to my stomach and strucks a chord to my heart.

Thank you!!!!! Your post made a very difficult decision so easy. Heart wins this one.

P.S. For my first car, I can safely extend my budget to 20-25L cash, however my head suggests to buy something pre-owned (vfm) around 10L. I've never let my heart win on expensive purchases, this might just be first.
lightfootdriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2023, 11:23   #334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfootdriver View Post
Sir, you write beautifully.
Thank you, kind sir. I like to believe I don't have much of an ego, but it never hurts to get it massaged every now and then, a champi for the soul, if you will.

Quote:
It felt like you let go of a piece of your heart.
I really, truly did. I fell hard for Red, and I'd be very lucky to have this kind of car-ma connection again. But as I had explained to the guy who bought the car, and as wife tried to explain to me as lovingly as she could, it makes no sense to spend something like 2-2.5 lakhs on fixing a few things (rear shocks, tyres, the screen, and some other minor quibbles), and then keeping the car for just 6 months or less. It makes zero financial sense.

For once, I let my head win over my heart. May it be the last time ever.

Quote:
I am fighting a hard battle between head and heart as I finalise on my first car. Heart wants something YOLO, while brain says buy something modest your middle-class upbringing approves of. And your post is just the right food my brain required to let itself loose on this one. I am now convinced that I'll buy my first car that brings butterflies to my stomach and strucks a chord to my heart.

Thank you!!!!! Your post made a very difficult decision so easy. Heart wins this one.
Believe it or not, I get such a huge kick when someone tells me that my prose moved them enough and shook them out of their reverie to consider buying something with a touch more fun than the usual. It's a release you get from something I'd like to call textual intercourse.

When I started this thread, I of course wanted to document my journey with the car, but equally, I wanted to demystify the whole stigma around bringing home an aged German lady (as long as your significant other is willing to have it as a souten, of course), and everything that entails.

Perhaps more importantly, I wanted to tug at heart strings, and inspire people to buy a fun car instead of a commuter class appliance. Everywhere I go, I see white, grey, or silver econoboxes, with people looking a bit glum behind the wheel. Nothing wrong with that, but if you can add some spice to your life, why not? Listen to the heart, man. It knows you.

No, fun and exciting doesn't mean expensive or German only. I drove a Jimny recently and was very taken aback by how much I liked it and how nice it felt to drive, if a bit slow. I don't know how Maruti let this thing get sold here, it's a car unlike anything else from their stable.

My point being, fun comes in all shapes, sizes, and exciting colours. Go. Have some fun. Create memories. Thank me later. Or curse me, whatever. Your call.

Quote:
P.S. For my first car, I can safely extend my budget to 20-25L cash, however my head suggests to buy something pre-owned (vfm) around 10L. I've never let my heart win on expensive purchases, this might just be first.
Why not a happy middle ground? Depending on your comfort levels, add a bit more to that, 13-15 lakhs can get you a very nice pre-owned car.

I saw this 328i for sale at BMW Premium Selection in Bombay, and it seems too good to be true. (Edit: I see you're in Bangalore. If you, or any BLR folks, want me to go see this for you, I'll gladly do so. Just drop me a DM. I have no hidden agenda, except to put you in a fun car).

But it's not just 328i's. There are a good deal of options out there for the fun-loving enthusiast. Go. Have fun. Let the heart have a field trip, because it almost always knows what you want before you do.

Last edited by iliketurtles : 31st December 2023 at 11:24. Reason: Added a comment
iliketurtles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2023, 17:58   #335
BHPian

Quote:
For once, I let my head win over my heart. May it be the last time ever.
Amen. As someone wise once said, "this is the youngest we'll ever be".

Quote:

Why not a happy middle ground? Depending on your comfort levels, add a bit more to that, 13-15 lakhs can get you a very nice pre-owned car.

I saw this 328i for sale at BMW Premium Selection in Bombay, and it seems too good to be true. (Edit: I see you're in Bangalore. If you, or any BLR folks, want me to go see this for you, I'll gladly do so. Just drop me a DM. I have no hidden agenda, except to put you in a fun car).
I am new to the world of cars. All information I have been able to gather thus far is by reading team-bhp threads for 1/2 hours everyday for last 3-4 months. I want to own a classic german luxury, but only after I clearly understand cars and how to maintain them. Owning a BMW as my *first* car will bring it's own share of anxiety as I have only put my hands on papa's 2016 MS Baleno which has been an easy car to maintain.

In the current market, which car do you suggest for a relatively new enthusiast? My wife is against MTs due to BLR traffic whereas I am indifferent between transmissions. Also, I don't want to compromise on our safety (4/5 star rated cars preferably).
I fell in love with 1.5L DSG from VW group but scared of DSG woes. 1.0 AT felt good but not as good as 1.5L engine. I also read threads where GTO and other senior bhpians suggest to choose a powerful engine whenever possible. This has led to a roadblock. Also, personally, 1.0 pot at 19L (top variant) on-road price in Blr feels overpriced. Choosing 1.0 over DSG feels criminal.

I test drove seltos and elevate too. They are decent packages overall but didn't excite me much.

Last edited by lightfootdriver : 31st December 2023 at 18:00. Reason: Spelling error
lightfootdriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2023, 19:10   #336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am new to the world of cars. All information I have been able to gather thus far is by reading team-bhp threads for 1/2 hours everyday for last 3-4 months. I want to own a classic german luxury, but only after I clearly understand cars and how to maintain them. Owning a BMW as my *first* car will bring it's own share of anxiety as I have only put my hands on papa's 2016 MS Baleno which has been an easy car to maintain.

In the current market, which car do you suggest for a relatively new enthusiast?
I hear you, buddy. And you're very correct in this perspective. Your first car should not only be relatively reliable and trouble-free, it should leave a lot of headroom for growth, in terms of where you head next. You're at a very sweet spot, even if you don't know it. 10 lakhs will get you a lot of car, particularly the one you need.

Quote:
I fell in love with 1.5L DSG from VW group but scared of DSG woes. 1.0 AT felt good but not as good as 1.5L engine. I also read threads where GTO and other senior bhpians suggest to choose a powerful engine whenever possible. This has led to a roadblock. Also, personally, 1.0 pot at 19L (top variant) on-road price in Blr feels overpriced. Choosing 1.0 over DSG feels criminal.
I completely agree with you. In all my years, I have come to learn something. No matter how much you modify a car, factory horses are factory horses. Sure, some say the cardinal rule is "there's no replacement for displacement", but I think the rule I said is more important.

Here's why. You can get a VRS (for example), and tune it up to 380 BHP or so, and throw in all wheel drive, but it still won't be as good as a bone stock 340i.

Similarly, your 1.0 polo won't be as nice as a 1 1.2 GT TSI or the 1.5 in the Virtus. It's why I would suggest looking for as lightly used a Polo GT TSI (with the 1.2 TSI, paired with DSG) or a new Virtus 1.5 in that tasty shade of yellow with max warranty. What do those go for in BLR?

Edit: Holy smokes, 23-25 lakhs OTR for a Virtus before discount in BLR? Prices have truly gone nuts. You used to get a 2.0 TDI Jetta for that much! Good car, but 25 lakhs is insane. Hopefully they have some year-end discounts.

If not, I'd personally go for a lightly used Polo, like this or this, although I'd peel the colour changing wrap off that second one if I bought it.

Quote:
I test drove seltos and elevate too. They are decent packages overall but didn't excite me much.
Your take is correct. The turbo-petrol Seltos is damn nice, but it's not a fun-fun car, if you know what I mean. I'd rather get a Jimny over it, and build it up to my taste. But not everyone has my appetite for nuttiness. Get the Polo 1.2, or the Virtus. You can't go wrong either way for sure.

Last edited by iliketurtles : 31st December 2023 at 19:17. Reason: Checked the Virtus price in BLR, fainted, got resuscitated, returned here
Old 31st December 2023, 19:34   #337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Amen. As someone wise once said, "this is the youngest we'll ever be".

In the current market, which car do you suggest for a relatively new enthusiast? My wife is against MTs due to BLR traffic whereas I am indifferent between transmissions. Also, I don't want to compromise on our safety (4/5 star rated cars preferably).

Can I suggest a pre worshipped Octavia Tdi that comes with the DQ250 which is much more reliable and as good as it can get.

Gem of an engine and DQ250 DSG - Approx 10L

Well built and safe. Feature rich as well.

Just my 2 cents,

HNY

Cheers,
Raj
Desmosedici is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st December 2023, 21:21   #338
Senior - BHPian

This is a good recco for you, lightfootdriver. Super engine and gearbox combo, nice to drive, and with a load of creature comforts packed into a good-looking car. Only 2 issues the way I see it.
  1. Finding one that’s not driven extensively, since most diesels of this age are
  2. Relative ownership costs, which will be higher than a Polo or Virtus

If you can stomach these 2 aspects, it’s a super option to look at.

Last edited by iliketurtles : 31st December 2023 at 21:21. Reason: Typo :(
iliketurtles is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks