Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2020, 01:34   #16
BHPian

Re: Meet Panda! My Land Rover Discovery Sport "HSE Dynamic Lux"

Thank you so much gentleman, your reply is such a revelation for me. You've got an amazing set of wheels in your garage, a good taste I must say. As far as A.S.S. is concerned I feel that it's more about how good terms you have with the service team and your experience definitely is a confidence booster for me. I will be careful while looking at the history of the DS I'm interested in. Thanks for the prompt reply mate.

P.S. The gloss black treatment along with smoked tail lamps looks dope on your Panda.
sachin_cs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 16:53   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachin_cs View Post
Thank you so much gentleman, your reply is such a revelation for me. You've got an amazing set of wheels in your garage, a good taste I must say. As far as A.S.S. is concerned I feel that it's more about how good terms you have with the service team and your experience definitely is a confidence booster for me. I will be careful while looking at the history of the DS I'm interested in. Thanks for the prompt reply mate.

P.S. The gloss black treatment along with smoked tail lamps looks dope on your Panda.
Thank you so much! Just have the tail lamps wrapped in smoked transparent films. BTW, I see you are from Raipur - If in case you need any assistance from the local dealer feel free to PM me. The CEO is a good friend and we have bought a car from there as well, again the same Discovery Sport for my uncle
Meet Panda! My Land Rover Discovery Sport "HSE Dynamic Lux"-whatsapp-image-20200311-4.52.44-pm.jpeg
AdiSinghV12 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 18:11   #18
Team-BHP Support

Since I bought a Land Rover here in UK, I have been going through all the posts on Land Rovers on Team Bhp again. I think the Range Rover Sport has Low Ratio gearbox as standard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post
(-) No Low Range gearbox
....not even the Range Rover Sport gets it as "standard".

I saw this post of mine here and cannot believe that I have really become a moderator now. So hopefully next time if Land Rover arranges for such a drive again, I will be able to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
I have never wanted to be an admin so bad once I came to know about this one.
I had the idea that the Discovery Sport is quite a bit smaller than the Range Rover Sport. But I was wrong. I took a few pictures of my colleagues Disco Sport and my RR Sport side by side and the Disco Sport is big! I think it is less boxy and hence gives that elusion. The rear legroom is far better than the Range Rover Sport.

Meet Panda! My Land Rover Discovery Sport "HSE Dynamic Lux"-img_1898.jpg

Meet Panda! My Land Rover Discovery Sport "HSE Dynamic Lux"-img_1899.jpg

Meet Panda! My Land Rover Discovery Sport "HSE Dynamic Lux"-img_1897.jpg
BlackPearl is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 14th March 2020, 01:16   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Hey bud, to begin with it’s been over an Year I have updated this thread — the car has done around 18,000 kms and is due for the second service along with brake pad replacement and I can personally vouch for the reliability of the car along with A.S.S. I think the reliability concern we all hear about JLRs are from the Discovery 4 and XJL days. This is my second JLR alongside XF and have been blessed to have X1, 320d and 740Li to share the garage with them as well and I can say any given day that IMO the ownership experience of these two JLRs have been much better. Ultimately at the end of the day these cars are about how you maintain and any modern car that you maintaine well with love and affection they’ll be your buddy for long so in your case please make sure that the last owner took good care of the car with timely services.

I have also done a stage 1 Quantum Tuning remap on the car and it has become more drivable than before, it’s one aspect where I feel JLRs engines lack a lot that is outright power so this was must. Let me know if I can be of any further help, it’d be a pleasure
Attachment 1977919
Saying that the A.S.S. is better compared to BMW even is really confidence inspiring in potential buyers. JLR has come a long way from it’s earlier reputation and done a commendable job!

I see in your signature, you have mentioned GLC also, how would you compare it ride quality wise and overall feel and experience wise as GLC is said to have best ride quality in its segment. Space wise Disco sport looks definitely better. but seating comfort also is better too?

One more thing.. vague but just outta curiosity, I also see a Fortuner in the background. So if you just had to compare it’s off-road drive ability and ruggedness, how do you rate it.

Thanks and keep posting and updating your experiences
magikrider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2020, 21:12   #20
BHPian

Quote:
BTW, I see you are from Raipur - If in case you need any assistance from the local dealer feel free to PM me. The CEO is a good friend and we have bought a car from there as well, again the same Discovery Sport for my uncle
Thank you so much Adi for the kind gesture. I will bother you, if I need any assistance while dealing with Satyam team here . This is what I really love about our TeamBHP family, two enthusiast-thousands of kilometer apart but eager to help the other selflessly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
The above two pictures almost made me believe that DS is almost on par with RR Sport in terms of real estate but this picture again proves that RR is still the daddy
sachin_cs is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 20:04   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
Saying that the A.S.S. is better compared to BMW even is really confidence inspiring in potential buyers. JLR has come a long way from it’s earlier reputation and done a commendable job!

I see in your signature, you have mentioned GLC also, how would you compare it ride quality wise and overall feel and experience wise as GLC is said to have best ride quality in its segment. Space wise Disco sport looks definitely better. but seating comfort also is better too?

One more thing.. vague but just outta curiosity, I also see a Fortuner in the background. So if you just had to compare it’s off-road drive ability and ruggedness, how do you rate it.

Thanks and keep posting and updating your experiences
The GLC is just pending registration and should be delivered this week so I'll make sure I update in more detail soon, it would be mom's personal car haha but outrightly the the DS feels better in all other aspect other than the interior quality where the Merc excels as the DS is a proper rugged / utilitarian Land Rover. Regarding the Fortuner, I haven't really taken both off the road but I have been a part of Land Rover's Above & Beyond tour and find the LRs to be very very capable specially due to the drive modes. I'd think the DS would just be a little ahead coz of the technology and All Terrain Progress Control which can make any novice master tough terrain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachin_cs View Post
Thank you so much Adi for the kind gesture. I will bother you, if I need any assistance while dealing with Satyam team here . This is what I really love about our TeamBHP family, two enthusiast-thousands of kilometer apart but eager to help the other selflessly:
Team BHP & otherwise, there's a different feeling you get from helping (doing whatever little you can) for others so anytime
AdiSinghV12 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th February 2022, 21:30   #22
BHPian

Quote:

Team BHP & otherwise, there's a different feeling you get from helping (doing whatever little you can) for others so anytime
Adi, thanks for the great review and sorry for reactivating this old thread. I had some questions as I am checking out a 2018 model discovery sport hse version and the below would help me decide

1. Now that you used the discovery sport for a long time, what's your view on overall performance, ride/comfort and also reliability. Did you face any major issues?
2. How many years of warranty do they give?
3. Also, do you remember the feature difference between HSE and HSE luxury?

Thanks much!!
motorhead5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 06:30   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead5 View Post
3. Also, do you remember the feature difference between HSE and HSE luxury?
Will let AdiSingh respond with more authority but my off hand recollection of the most important difference was everything up to HSE was with a 140 bhp engine and the HSE Lux was with the 177 BHP engine.

IIRC HSE Lux had the +2 jump seats option which perhaps the HSE didn’t and the Lux also got screens behind the front seat headrests.

Please do verify the above though. To me, the differential engine power output was the biggest reason to pick the higher (highest?) variant of the Discovery Sport (before it moved on to the current facelift nomenclature).

Last edited by vb-saan : 28th February 2022 at 09:52. Reason: As requested
Axe77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 08:20   #24
BHPian

The one I am checking seems to be hse with 177bhp (per owner) and it has a fixed sunroof, beige colour leather seats, 5+2 seats, no screens behind head rests. That's why wanted to understand the exact difference between the two.

Was wondering if Dynamic Stability Control, Trailer Stability Control, TPMS etc are in HSE version too

Last edited by motorhead5 : 28th February 2022 at 08:22.
Old 28th February 2022, 10:18   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The one I am checking seems to be hse with 177bhp (per owner)
Please do check this specifically - from RC book as well as JLR records.

I just double checked with my contact in JLR and he mentioned that HSE was 140 BHP.
Axe77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 23:29   #26
BHPian

Quote:
The one I am checking seems to be hse with 177bhp (per owner) and it has a fixed sunroof, beige colour leather seats, 5+2 seats, no screens behind head rests. That's why wanted to understand the exact difference between the two.

Was wondering if Dynamic Stability Control, Trailer Stability Control, TPMS etc are in HSE version too
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Please do check this specifically - from RC book as well as JLR records.

I just double checked with my contact in JLR and he mentioned that HSE was 140 BHP.
First of all, great to be back on this thread. Wasn't getting much updates as knock on the wood the car is running very normally as it should with no tantrums at all and is the prime workhorse of the family so let this also be the question towards the reliability and comfort part Infact, someone in the family has a new M Sport X5 but the Discovery rides much better but still a tad less comfy than the GLE IMO but serves the purpose.

2. The car had 3 years / 100000 kms of warranty which was extendable for 2 more years and goes upto 125000 kms.

3. The difference between the HSE and HSE Luxury was definitely the power difference as Axe77 rightly pointed out; higher config speaker, rear screens, tan interior and for the late pre-facelift cars an upgraded front and rear bumper that'd resemble the HSE Dynamic sold abroad. Mine didn't have it as standard but I had the upgraded bumper and grill fitted pre-delivery itself.
Meet Panda! My Land Rover Discovery Sport "HSE Dynamic Lux"-whatsapp-image-20220302-11.27.50-pm.jpeg
AdiSinghV12 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 00:23   #27
BHPian

It was confirmed that HSE was 148hp and not 177. So I dropped the plan. Thanks for the feedback
Old 26th March 2022, 01:24   #28
BHPian

@AXE77 @AdiSinghV12 Sorry to drive the discussion on this thread again. But looks like its only Discovery Sport options coming my way when I evaluate options against my existing Kodiaq booking that is eternally delayed!!!!!

After the above option that I dropped (148bhp diesel option), one discovery sport 2018 (2019 registration) Discovery Sport HSE PETROL option came up, which has done 44000 KMs. Seriuosly considering if I should go for that v.s. waiting for the Kodiaq (This used discovery petrol is 4-5lacs less compared to new Kodiaq)

Couple of questions:
1. How do you see the reliability of discovery sport? Some folks tell me that its not that reliable (potential issue that could cost big!)
2. Any feedback on the petrol model (240bhp) - performance + resale and mileage if I plan to pick it up and use for ~3-4 years.

Last edited by Axe77 : 26th March 2022 at 06:01. Reason: i —> I
Old 26th March 2022, 06:10   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@AXE77 @AdiSinghV12
Couple of questions:
1. How do you see the reliability of discovery sport? Some folks tell me that its not that reliable (potential issue that could cost big!)
2. Any feedback on the petrol model (240bhp) - performance + resale and mileage if I plan to pick it up and use for ~3-4 years.
Apologies I really don’t have too much real world experience of the Discovery Sport, but anecdotally it seems well recognised that Land Rovers can throw up reliability gremlins more often than others, parts can have slightly longer wait times and these cars are reasonably expensive to maintain. When I was once looking at Land Rovers, a friend who has multiple different brands of luxury cars advised me against it if I am an 8 - 10 year type of user and said they’re best resold within warranty.

What items specifically throw up issues is best advised by actual owners or better informed members of the forum.

On the petrol, a Delhi based colleague had the petrol Discovery Sport and she did complain that it was a bit of a guzzler but I don’t have specifics beyond that. My sense is it should definitely feel peppier to drive than the somewhat underwhelming diesel counterpart. She owned a C class before this and finally got fed up of the Discovery’s reliability issues and has moved on to an E class since then.

In either case do negotiate hard since used Land Rovers generally resell a bit lower than their popular German counterparts - perhaps that might make up for some of the other aspects like fuel efficiency and upkeep cost.

My take is if you’re running a multiple car garage and willing to put up with potential issues please do consider it - its a brilliant machine. But if its your primary / only car then I’d tread carefully in going in for a heavily used Land Rover.

Last edited by Axe77 : 26th March 2022 at 14:32. Reason: Minor edit for clarity.
Axe77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2022, 14:26   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
After the above option that I dropped (148bhp diesel option), one discovery sport 2018 (2019 registration) Discovery Sport HSE PETROL option came up, which has done 44000 KMs. Seriuosly considering if I should go for that v.s. waiting for the Kodiaq (This used discovery petrol is 4-5lacs less compared to new Kodiaq)

Couple of questions:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post

On the petrol, a Delhi based colleague had the petrol Discovery Sport and she did complain that it was a bit of a guzzler but I don’t have specifics beyond that. My sense is it should definitely feel peppier to drive than the somewhat underwhelming diesel counterpart. She owned a C class before this and finally got fed up of its reliability issues and has moved on to an E class since then.

In either case do negotiate hard since used Land Rovers generally resell a bit lower than their popular German counterparts - perhaps that might make up for some of the other aspects like fuel efficiency and upkeep cost.

My take is if you’re running a multiple car garage and willing to put up with potential issues please do consider it - its a brilliant machine. But if its your primary / only car then I’d tread carefully in going in for a heavily used Land Rover.
We did indeed do a fun review with 5 mods but it did not make it to the official review

More here (Land Rover Discovery Sport petrol launched at Rs. 56.50 lakh - Quick Review added!)
ajmat is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks