Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2019, 22:40   #1
BHPian

Bringing home the new member: Story of our Honda Jazz!

First of all, I'd like to thank the moderators for creating this platform and BHPian @Varun_HexaGuy for his guidance. BHPians, please excuse me for whatever mistakes I do in the review as this is the first time I'm writing one. Thanks and I hope you enjoy reading it! Here's a sneak peek before starting!

Bringing home the new member: Story of our Honda Jazz!-img_2267.jpg

Need for a new car
So, before the Jazz, we had 2 cars serving at home, the beloved 2013 Volkswagen Vento which was used by my dad and the 2006 Maruti Swift used by my mom. But due to health problems setting in and maintaining an old car becoming tougher by the day, we started our search for the next member of the Garage. We initially capped our budget at 6 lakhs OTR give or take a lakh and would trade in the Swift for it. With this, we set the following requirements for ourselves-

Must Haves
  • Must be a Hatchback (99% City usage)
  • Must be New
  • Dual Airbags
  • AT is a must

Good to Haves
  • Touchscreen ICE
  • Rear Camera/Parking sensors
  • Alloy wheels
  • Fog Lights

Last edited by SmartCat : 10th February 2019 at 15:33. Reason: Removed link to blog
porsche_guy is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 8th January 2019, 13:22   #2
BHPian

re: Bringing home the new member: Story of our Honda Jazz!

Alternatives Considered
  • Tata Tiago AMT
Bringing home the new member: Story of our Honda Jazz!-tiago.jpg
The first car we immediately considered was the Tata Tiago AMT. Went to check it out over a lazy weekend. Car seemed to be pretty good and the XZA variant satisfied all our requirements. However, the dealership experience was poor. When we were talking about the car, I asked the SA if the display model was an AMT and she replied in the affirmative but when I went to check the car out, it was indeed an MT version! The Test Drive was also pretty short but the AMT was clearly tuned much better than the Maruti unit. We asked forthe trade in value for the Swift and it was quoted at just Rs. 90,000 which was an abysmal figure. Sadly had to strike this off due to the relatively new AMT tech for Tata and potential service issues. (Dealer: Miles Motors)

+Value
+Gearshift quality (For an AMT)
+Build
-Refinement
-Unproven AMT
-Dealership experience
  • Maruti Swift
Bringing home the new member: Story of our Honda Jazz!-swift.jpg
Replacing a Swift warranted us to check out the new one. Called the local dealership and the SA brought the car home for us to Test Drive. We didn't like it as much mainly due to the average quality of the build and the interior and the jerky AMT and jerky ride. Service was not a concern though, as a close friend has a Maruti A.S.S.
+Serviceability
+Engine was peppy
+Looked alright
-AMT shift quality
-Interior plastics
-Jittery Ride
  • Maruti Ignis
Bringing home the new member: Story of our Honda Jazz!-ignis.jpg
We checked out the Ignis at the local NEXA outlet. The experience was quite pleasant with a well lit showroom and premium interiors. We liked the Ignis mainly because it had more than enough headroom due to the tall boy design and the Maruti factor. Went for a TD which is where its flaws came out. The AMT was again quite jerky and the lack of Thigh support at the rear was obvious. Quality, while good at some places was average in others.(Dealership: NEXA Central Vadodara)
+Serviceability
+Good Headroom
+Features
-Price
-Jerky AMT
-Light build and varying quality levels
  • Grand i10
Bringing home the new member: Story of our Honda Jazz!-grand-i10.jpg
Another acquaintance had one of the local Hyundai dealerships so we had to check out the Grand i10. Overall, the car was perfect for us but the only major negative we found was that it lacked ABS in the top AT variant (we were checking the 2017 stock). Surprisingly, there was no AT Demo in the whole city so had to drive another acquaintances car. But we overlooked this as the car will be used in the city only. Had we not gotten the discount on the Jazz, there would be a blue Gi10 in our garage! (Dealership: RSA Hyundai)
+Huge Discount
+Loaded to the brim!
+Excellent AT shift quality
-No ABS even in top AT variant!
-Lacked the emotional connect
-Seats were small
  • Maruti Baleno
Bringing home the new member: Story of our Honda Jazz!-baleno.jpg

We checked out the Baleno when we went to check out the Ignis. We were looking at the Delta CVT as it got everything that we needed. So asked the SA for a TD at home. TD went quite well with car not showing a lot of fuss, The only thing that worried me was the shoddy build and also the driving position was a bit low but otherwise it graduated into the final list. (Dealership: NEXA Central Vadodara)

+Adequate features
+Maruti Brand
+Spacious
-Shoddy build
-Driving position and no height adjustable seat (Delta)
-Waiting period
  • Tata Nexon
Bringing home the new member: Story of our Honda Jazz!-nexon.jpg
We did check out the Nexon even though we were looking for a hatch simply due to the fact that we just loved the design of it! It was the same dealership though and the AMT variant wasn't yet launched (It launched a couple of days after we took delivery) so the new tech plus appalling service meant that it wasn't turning out to be a topper. Additionally the larger size and the fact that many of our contacts recommended not getting it due to poor fit and finish sadly had us strike it off the list without even taking a TD. Now that it has scored 5 stars in GNCAP makes me regret it(Dealership: Miles Motors)

+Design
+High stance
+Value for Money
-Service
-Unknown reliability
-Average Fit and Finish

(All images in this post sourced from autocarindia.com)

Last edited by Aditya : 24th February 2019 at 08:09. Reason: As requested
porsche_guy is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 8th January 2019, 13:27   #3
BHPian

Finalising the Jazz

Now this is an interesting story. So one of our relatives had got a Jazz V CVT just when it had launched. We had driven the car a couple of times and did like it quite a bit. So when we put the Jazz on the shortlist, we had already driven it so a TD wasn't needed and we went straight to the Honda Dealership (Aspen Honda) to check out the pricing and other stuff. We had shortlisted the S CVT variant as it got everything we needed. However the dealership guys told us that the S CVT variant has been discontinued. I was skeptical about this so did some research and came to know that it wasn't discontinued but was made to order due to the low sales numbers. However I came to know of this after the deal was finalised so we went ahead with it.

Coming back to the story, once we got the quote of the V CVT, we weren't keen on it due to the high price and we finalised the Grand i10 in Marina Blue colour and unofficially booked it. It was practically the perfect car but something just wasn't clicking and fate had other plans that night. The Honda SA came to our house in the evening on the same day and offered a huge discount. So after thinking for a couple of hours, we went with the Jazz as this was probably one of the last cars for us and we wanted to splurge a little bit on the now emotional purchase. Called the dealership next morning and finalised the car. They already had it in our colour choice (Carnelian Red Pearl) in the stockyard which shares space with their showroom and was ready for delivery immediately.
porsche_guy is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 8th January 2019, 13:29   #4
BHPian

Bidding Goodbye to the Swift

The Swift had been with us for close to 12 years! Also since it was the first car in our family, we were extremely attached with it. Heck, I had spent my childhood in that car! But we needed to let go of it. So the story goes that the evening we were supposed to take delivery of the Jazz, the first potential buyer(through an acquaintance) came to look at it. He checked everything, went for a Test Drive and finalised the deal then and there! Ironically, he first offered 1.7 Lakhs for it but then settled at a little above 1.8 which was more than double of what the Tata guys had offered us almost a year ago! The sad thing is that with the rush of prepping the Swift up for his next home and bringing home the Jazz, I didn't even get time to properly bid goodbye and take the last picture of it!

Even now, when I see a red Swift cruising on the streets, the nostalgia starts rushing back and I start to miss him.
Hopefully, one day I'll be able to save up enough and buy him back to relive those moments!

The Jazz Deal
So initially the dealer offered us the discount with free floor mats and mudflaps. We bargained hard and finally the freebies included-
  1. Floor Mats
  2. Mud Flaps
  3. PU Leather Seat Covers
  4. Number Plates
  5. Ganesha Idol
  6. Honda 3D Keychain

I cannot disclose the discount we got on the request of the dealer but it was quite big

Last edited by porsche_guy : 8th January 2019 at 14:18.
porsche_guy is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 8th January 2019, 13:46   #5
BHPian

Delivery

So we could technically take the car home on the 17th but since Insurance formalities were left and accessories were not fitted, we decided to take delivery the next day at home (as showroom was 17 kms from our house). However, did the PDI according to the Team BHP PDI checklist before paying. Tyres read 0818 (8th week of 2018) and did the VIN and odo check too and found the car to be manufactured in March 2018 which we felt was reasonable with the discount included. Exterior was flawless. Everything else came out fine. The SA promptly came with the car the next afternoon and delivered it with a box of chocolates and the paperwork. Here's the picture of the delivery at home. Couldn't take good pictures of the car the previous day as it was dark.-
Bringing home the new member: Story of our Honda Jazz!-08ebf62537184115829303b7ce83a429.jpg.png
porsche_guy is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 8th January 2019, 14:11   #6
BHPian

The Review

Exterior and Paint
Now, Don't get me wrong but I feel that overall, since this car's design is more about practicality than looks, The basic design is pretty bland but the Carnelian Red Metallic colour does make it look better. However, for the space available inside, the Honda design team has maintained a good balance.

Paint quality is quite decent too and it really looks premium in the sun with the metallic crystals glowing nicely. However, the paint is a high maintenance colour and gets scratched easily

Front
Bringing home the new member: Story of our Honda Jazz!-img_1514-edit.jpg
The Front styling, to be honest is a bit bland but the colour does help a lot to uplift the front exteriors. I am not a fan of the huge piano black insert in place of a grille but it definitely looks better than the faux/chrome one from the pre-facelift City. Also projectors are still not offered and the halogens don't really uplift the front looks.

Front 3/4th
Bringing home the new member: Story of our Honda Jazz!-1-1.jpg
The front 3/4th has nothing really special. It makes the car look big(which it is) and is quite bland just like the front

Side Profile
Bringing home the new member: Story of our Honda Jazz!-5-1.jpg
Being a car oriented towards comfort and space, the cab-forward design is quite prominent with the windscreen raked at a sharp angle. However, I do agree that it looks a little MPV-ish from the side and the smooth character lines do little to break the mass. Door Handles though, look a little too big for a Hatchback.

I am relieved that they are body coloured and not chrome plated like those on the facelift.

Rear 3/4th
Bringing home the new member: Story of our Honda Jazz!-3-2.jpg
I feel this is the most attractive angle of the car. Especially with the huge taillights which again for some reason, seem to fit the car's character. Also, from this angle, you can't seem to see the supposedly strange proportions from the side.

Rear
Bringing home the new member: Story of our Honda Jazz!-7.jpg
The rear has a much better design than the front. The huge 3D taillamps help break the mass of the rear. There is also a chrome strip which runs across the rear hatch. This does look a little overdone in my opinion and smaller one just above the number plate recess would have looked better.

Wheels
Bringing home the new member: Story of our Honda Jazz!-img_2137.jpg

The V variant comes with 15 inch ten spoke alloys finished in silver. Even here, the quality and finish is top notch and they suit the car nicely. A size bigger won't hurt though and would fill the wheel wells better too.

These alloys came shod with Goodyear Assurance tyres from the factory. The size used on the car is 175/65 R15. The tyre quality is adequate for our minimal usage and they have held up nicely so far. Road noise is virtually non-existent but these surely aren't made for sporty driving

Some small, yet important details-

Bringing home the new member: Story of our Honda Jazz!-img_1537.jpg

Antenna provided is a stubby one and not the Shark Fin one. I think the car deserves one considering the price.

Bringing home the new member: Story of our Honda Jazz!-img_2219.jpg

Fog lights are neat; DRL slots left blank

Bringing home the new member: Story of our Honda Jazz!-img_2128.jpg

Vents in the rear bumper are fake. They break up the mass nicely but I would still prefer the ones on the international version, the Fit more as they are more sleeker and look better. Maybe a bumper transplant later?

Bringing home the new member: Story of our Honda Jazz!-img_1518.jpg

Taillights have an amazing 3D shape which I love! (Also random photobomber)

Bringing home the new member: Story of our Honda Jazz!-img_1525.jpg

Rear wiper looks sleek and is a nice feature although not very useful in our case as Vadodara typically doesn't get a lot of rainfall.

Bringing home the new member: Story of our Honda Jazz!-img_2132.jpg

ORVMs are nice and big. They also have the indicator lights on them.

Rear Camera is offset. Would have liked it to be positioned in the center. Very cleverly hidden though and has good quality of image.

Last edited by porsche_guy : 10th February 2019 at 13:25.
porsche_guy is online now   (18) Thanks
Old 9th January 2019, 20:03   #7
BHPian

Interior

Bringing home the new member: Story of our Honda Jazz!-img_1572.jpg

Interiors are identical to the Honda City. It is a high dashboard with a very sleek and layered design. ICE and AC controls are curved towards the driver. It looks very modern and overall quality is quite premium. Silver accents on the dash liven up the cabin. One surprising thing that I found though is that it is very deep due to the sharp rake angle of the windscreen. On a first look, you might see two AC vents on the driver's right but.......

Bringing home the new member: Story of our Honda Jazz!-img_1562.jpg

....the upper one is fake

AC Controls
Bringing home the new member: Story of our Honda Jazz!-img_2261.jpg
AC controls are touchscreen which is a first in the segment feature. However, the driver has to take the eyes off the road for adjusting anything so I would have liked the traditional knobs for it. It looks cool though and sits flush with the dash when the car is switched off.

Front seats

Bringing home the new member: Story of our Honda Jazz!-img_2216.jpg

Front seats are extremely spacious and generous on seat width. Even though my frame is thin, plus size people would also be comfortable. Adjustable headrests are offered here but are angled way too much for my comfortable position. The backrest height is also a little low so my shoulders do not touch the seat. Lumbar support is more than enough and cushioning is almost perfect. All in all, wouldn't mind doing long journeys on these seats.

Rear Seats
Bringing home the new member: Story of our Honda Jazz!-img_2220.jpg
Now this is where it gets interesting. The most irritating, annoying and shocking thing on the whole car is the absence of adjustable headrests at the rear. It gets really uncomfortable especially for tall people like me and only short journeys can be managed. Except that though, there really isn't much to fault of. Headroom is more than enough (unlike Baleno), there is enough legroom to rival D Segment sedans and the support is also good. Seat width, as I told earlier is amazing. Add to that the low floor and it ensures that the middle passenger is in utmost comfort.

Some other small details

Bringing home the new member: Story of our Honda Jazz!-img_1619.jpg

Height adjustable seatbelts not offered; seatbelts are beige!
Bringing home the new member: Story of our Honda Jazz!-img_1633.jpg

Blank switch in place of push button start blatantly exposed. (Facelift gets it)

Last edited by SmartCat : 10th February 2019 at 15:46. Reason: as requested
porsche_guy is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 9th January 2019, 20:12   #8
BHPian

The Drive
Bringing home the new member: Story of our Honda Jazz!-img_1636.jpg
The car is powered by a 1.2L Naturally Aspirated 4 Cylinder engine shared with the Brio and the Amaze. It produces 90HP and 110NM in the Jazz. It is paired to a 7-Step CVT transmission. This combo is nowhere near exciting and just does the job. To be honest, it is a bit of a disappointment as one would expect the City's 1.5L 119HP engine here considering the size of the car. The CVT on the other hand is also not very enthusiastic. Paddleshifters are offered here but we don't have a lot of use for it. The best thing about the combo though is the refinement. Engine noise isn't heard inside and NVH is very nicely contained. After getting the Jazz home, our Vento's 1.6 MPI almost sounds like an SUV

Bringing home the new member: Story of our Honda Jazz!-img_2248.jpg
CVT gets 5 modes- P,R,N,D and S. S holds the steps longer. Doesn't get an L mode for inclines though. Creep function is a boon in the city traffic and works much better here than on AMT Marutis. Rubberband effect is quite prominent here although not as bad as an i20 or Baleno CVT

Steering
Bringing home the new member: Story of our Honda Jazz!-img_1547.jpg
The steering is quite honestly fun to use. It does get a little vague considering that its an electrically assisted unit but its still a whole lot better than the competition like the Baleno or i20. Audio controls are present on the wheel along with Call accept and reject buttons. Paddleshifters are also there, though they have been rendered quite useless in our case.

Bringing home the new member: Story of our Honda Jazz!-img_1553.jpg
Bringing home the new member: Story of our Honda Jazz!-img_2246.jpg
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bringing home the new member: Story of our Honda Jazz!-img_1593.jpg

Rear view from the driver seat

Bringing home the new member: Story of our Honda Jazz!-img_1584.jpg
IRVM is the usual Day/Night one. Would've preferred an Auto-Dimming IRVM considering the competition has it.

Safety
Our car comes with Dual Airbags and ABS+EBD as standard. It also gets a Rear camera with 3 views. Parking sensors were offered as a genuine Honda accessory. We opted out of it as we didn't feel the need for it with the Rear camera present. They are now standard on the VX trim after the facelift. It has also gotten a 5 star rating in the ANCAP Crash tests. A rear wiper is also provided unlike the i20

Last edited by porsche_guy : 10th February 2019 at 13:14.
porsche_guy is online now   (18) Thanks
Old 11th January 2019, 12:20   #9
BHPian

Practicality

This car is just so practical that it deserves a separate post for the same. First of all, the seats are massive and can accommodate all types of frames easily. Additionally, it has one of the largest boots in the segment and a total of 8 cupholders with one being cooled! Storage spaces are also plenty and spread throughout the cabin.
Bringing home the new member: Story of our Honda Jazz!-img_2226.jpg
Bringing home the new member: Story of our Honda Jazz!-img_1627.jpg
Bringing home the new member: Story of our Honda Jazz!-img_1563.jpg

The massive boot!
Bringing home the new member: Story of our Honda Jazz!-img_1594.jpg

Seats don't have split or fold flat function
Bringing home the new member: Story of our Honda Jazz!-img_1595.jpg
porsche_guy is online now   (17) Thanks
Old 11th January 2019, 12:42   #10
BHPian

Cost Cutting and Fit and Finish
Just like the Practicality, the cost cutting also deserves another post. Honda has declined in the build quality department very sharply in the last few years. Gone are the days of the first generation CR-V and the ANHC Honda City which actually felt built to last and worth their price. The new generation products like the new Amaze and Jazz are far from perfect to the point that even Hyundai has overtaken them. This post is to highlight the declining quality and blatant cost cutting done by Honda India.

Bringing home the new member: Story of our Honda Jazz!-img_2171.jpg
Bringing home the new member: Story of our Honda Jazz!-img_2168.jpg
Bringing home the new member: Story of our Honda Jazz!-img_1546.jpg
Lots of panel gaps are huge even by budget car standards. Even the bumpers don't have consistent gaps from the factory.

Coming to features, the Jazz is one of the most expensive cars in segment, yet one of the least equipped ones. The top AT trim doesn't even get a Touchscreen or an Auto day/night IRVM. It doesn't even get adjustable headrests at the rear!

Also like I mentioned, the Fog lamps housing has slots for DRLs but the indian version does not get it! How much does adding 2 LED strips cost Honda? Especially when we are paying a premium over rivals who, by the way do get them.

Coming to the interiors, there is a blank switch at the place for the stop start button which looks U-G-L-Y!

Then there are the rear headrests. Seriously, why not adjustable ones. Especially this car ought to have them as it focuses on comfort.

Another panel gap beside the ICE
Bringing home the new member: Story of our Honda Jazz!-img_2157.jpg

Last edited by suhaas307 : 10th February 2019 at 15:58. Reason: Edited as reported
porsche_guy is online now   (21) Thanks
Old 10th February 2019, 12:57   #11
BHPian

Service

The car is regularly serviced at Aspen Honda. Unfortunately, we have to avail the pickup and drop service since the dealership is almost 20km from our place. Would have loved if the ASC was nearby so I could see the car being worked upon personally.

Till now, the first 3 services have been carried out of which the first two were free. Service interval for the first 3 services is 1 month, 3 months and 6 months respectively.

I find the service interval of 6 months a bit short as we are used to the 1 year interval for our Vento.

The service experience has been neutral at best. They charged us for windshield washer fluid in the first service which was completely unnecessary

So when the second service came, I asked them to take our permission for any parts to be changed and since then they have done a good job at adhering to that. Last service, they also removed the dealer sticker at no charge as I had instructed them too.\

So overall, a very neutral experience. Surprisingly its not as good as our experience with the Volkswagen ASC which has been mostly positive

Last edited by porsche_guy : 10th February 2019 at 13:01.
porsche_guy is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 10th February 2019, 13:08   #12
BHPian

Other Points
  • The tyres at 175/65 R15 seem a little small for a car of this size
  • I will cover the CVT and ICE in more detail a little later
  • Sorry for the dirty car! It was cloudy when I did the photoshoot and the car cleaner had bunked that day
  • Experts: Can we add DRLs in the front slots without voiding the warranty?
  • The car recently achieved the 4444 Km milestone. Yes, our daily running is quite low
  • Considering the hassles, once the warranty ends, we will probably service it at an FNG.
  • I will be glad to cover anything that I have missed. Don't hesitate to ask or PM!

Thanks for reading! Pardon any errors from my side since I am a noob when it comes to writing ownership reviews and photography

Peace!

Last edited by porsche_guy : 10th February 2019 at 13:29.
porsche_guy is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 10th February 2019, 15:36   #13
Team-BHP Support

Moving thread from Assembly Line to Initial Ownership Reports forum. Thanks for sharing, Ved!
SmartCat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2019, 16:47   #14
BHPian

Congratulations on the Jazz, Ved! Also, that's a great review coming your way.

The Jazz is an interesting proposition and a sensible package. It's a bit pricey for what it offers but this appeals to me more than the Baleno CVT or even the i20 CVT. It ticks the right boxes for me and is the most appealing Automatic hatches out there. Just wait and watch the car serve you flawlessly for the years to come. Pure JDM style, I say

Keep updating this thread as the Jazz clocks more miles in the future.
Varun_HexaGuy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2019, 20:16   #15
BANNED

Congrats buddy.
There is one smart designed element in Honda cars especially when Indian driving conditions are considered. They are ORVMs, especially the ones with integrated blinkers and what is so special about them in a Honda??. Almost all other manufacturers make their ORVMs with the integrated blinkers very well exposed to external elements (hits) while Honda designed it recessed, hence protecting the integrated blinkers from occassional hits. I wonder why other manufactures have still not copied/got inspired with this simple yet clever design.
pavi is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed