Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2019, 05:37   #1
BHPian

2019 BMW 530i xDrive M-Sport : I’m disappointed, BMW

Quick Edit: Took delivery of this car a while ago. Started the write-up, but kept it in assembly line for quite a while. Sorry for the delay! Review below!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I’m honestly a little disappointed.

Took delivery of a 2019 BMW 530i X-Drive with M-Sport Pack for Christmas. It was a custom order, spec sent in back in mid-September, 2018. I think we have one of the first 2019s in the US, as dealers are just getting them in now. So here’s a little comprehensive buying experience and review, and why I'm a little ambivalent. So, let's get started (the disappointment begins with the power train section, so if you want, go straight to that section):

2019 BMW 530i xDrive M-Sport : I’m disappointed, BMW-screen-shot-20190110-6.00.16-pm.png

When did car model names become so long. It seems like every manufacturer speaks a different language.

So if you need help deciphering the mouthful: BMW 530i X-Drive with M-Sport Pack

BMW: Well, BMW

530i: First number is the series. 5 series. The second two numbers used to mean the engine displacement size. For example, the 520d is a 5 series, with a 2.0L diesel engine. It still does in some markets. In the US (and some other markets), I honestly don’t know what they’re doing. The 30 (in 530) has a 2.0L inline 4. The 540i has a 3.0L inline 6. If you know what they’re doing with those numbers, please comment below. I’m very interested. Lastly, the ‘i’ in 530i represents ‘fuel injection,’ aka petrol. If it has a d, it’s a diesel.

X-Drive: Represents if the car has 4 wheel drive. Rear wheel drivetrains are standard. 4 wheel X-Drive is optional.

M Sport: A little design philosophy: 5 series sits between small and nimble, self driven 3 series, and large, chauffer driven 7. So BMW lets you spec the 5 to suit your style. You can equip it with ‘Comfort Line’ spec, giving you some creature comforts, or ‘Sport Line’, or at the very top, ‘M Sport Line.’ So if you want a more feature filled, comfortable ride and tech, get the comfort to ‘mimic’ some extra features you’d get from a 7. If you’re going to self drive, get the M-Sport Design.

Whew, badging over.

Before we dive too deep into anything else, let's get the LIKES and DISLIKES out of the way:
  • Looks great. Strong and muscular in all the right places, but still classy enough to be a daily driver. Very sophisticated from the exterior.
  • Technology in it is great. A lot of creature comforts, like heated and cooled seats, steering wheel, adaptive suspension and drive etc.
  • Very comfortable ride, especially with the adaptive suspension.
  • Rear wheel (integral) steering is fantastic, and makes the car handle phenomenally around town.
  • M-Sport brakes make the car stop really well.
  • Driving assistance package is really nice now. Even the semiautonomous driving capabilities of this car are really good now, even though it gets confused sometimes.
  • M-Sport package makes the car look great and very similar to the F90 M5 (which is great for you, but terrible for people that spend thousands more on an M5)
  • The BMW Connected Drive app has failed us several times already, but functionally is good.
  • Rear leg room is great, and heated rear seats are a huge plus in cooler climates.
  • Parking system has much higher quality now, and the surround parking system helps a lot sometimes.
  • Fuel efficient, but who cares with a BMW lol
  • Classic BMW center stack and buttons means it's intuitive, and since there are no screens, you never need to take your eyes off the road. A better move for BMW imo

DISLIKES:
  • The M-Sport package makes it too much like an M5. So, it's great for you, but terrible for M owners.
  • The engine is very underpowered, especially for such a heavy car. Would definitely recommend upgrading the engine if you like to drive hard.
  • The amount of plastic in the interior is a bit disappointing (more on this later). But in a nutshell, every single surface you touch is plastic.
  • Rear seats are like benches - doesn't feel to special equipment or luxury wise in the back seat
  • The quality of the leather is not the greatest. Again, BMW needs to up the materials they're using.
  • The steering wheel shape is pretty basic, even for an M-Sport wheel. Other brands have some great designed wheels, and materials in the interior, but BMW needs to step it up a little.
  • Could have done a bit more with the dashboard. For example, Audi's virtual cockpit is phenomenal. This, not so much. Is basically the Analogue system with some nice color themes.
  • HUD is still great. Good size, clear to read and bright enough. Some car makers just haven't made it as nice yet.
  • Not as athletic from a driving perspective as the F10 generation.
  • Tries to be a more comfortable daily driver, but the E-Class blows this out of the water in my opinion. Especially from a pricing perspective, the 4-cylinder 530i is just no competition for a cheaper E450 when that's got a silky V6.
  • iDrive feels a little outdated now - every time I see a "new" one, it has the same functionality as the previous one, just a new theme or skin.
  • Wireless charging station is not in the greatest of places - too far into the console so it's hard to check messages while you're driving, and you need the phone flat in it for it to charge. Also hard to get phone out for larger phones, so I barely use it already.

SITUATION:
Mostly driven by an adult, senior IT professional. So if you relate to that, here ya go. (If you recognize me on these threads, I daily the M6, so I’m a Bimmer guy :P) Car was chosen by an executive at my dad’s firm, and he specced it according to his wishes.

He was pretty set on a BMW from the second he needed a car. He just has the brand association – he used to drive a Skoda Superb when he worked with our Chennai location, so he kind of knew what he wanted.

Also, I have a personal relationship with BMW dealers as I own another car. He is on an L1-A (intracompany transfer/executive visa), so financing cars can be hard. A lot of dealers aren’t willing to finance cars for people on visas, especially considering the lack of credit history and visa situation. Since I knew people at BMW, and they were offering us really good prices for the relationship/new 2019 model/BMW loyalty, the 5 series was attractive.

COMPETITORS CONSIDERED:
1. 2018 Audi S5 Sportback
2. 2018 Audi A5 Sportback (pre redesign!)
3. 2018 Audi A6 (pre redesign!)
4. 2018 Audi A7 (pre redesign!)
5. 2018 Mercedes E-Class

We kept the brand range narrow. As I mentioned, he knew exactly what he wanted before we specced it. I drove all of the cars, and gave him my feedback, but he really wanted a BMW.

Loved the driving dynamic of the S5 Sportback. We needed 4 doors, so that’s what you’ll notice about all the cars we speculated. It has the legendary quattro. It also has great trunk space, and in my opinion, if you throw some dark graphite OEM rims, or black rims on there, is a stunning car.

I drove this car HARD. I knew the sales guy, so he let me rip up and down highways, hitting some questionable speeds, but after we got out, he told me no one has ever scared him so much in a car before :P I took it as a compliment.

S5 Sportback, dynamically, is fantastic. Also, the exhaust burbles. A lot. I just sat there upshifting and downshifting, it’s that addictive. If it was up to me, and only me, that would have been the car we would have ended up with. But…

All of the Audis have one major problem. The interior has waaay too much plastic. Audi. If you’re reading this humble review. Not ok. Not in 2018 cars. It did not feel premium. A guy like me, 20 years old, I can adjust. But for a senior level “adult,” and “executive” - they want wood and leather and soft materials. Not plastic. And the seats have very little padding and comfort compared to Merc and BMW seats. Long distance cruising would be painful. Rear seating is ok, again, not best in class. I guess the A5/S5 platform is shared with the smaller A4, so that explains it. It’s like comparing a 5 series to a 3 series – you’re going to feel a bit more cramped.

A small note. The 2019 Audi cars are out. The A6 and A7 are beautiful now. Sat in one two days ago. Seriously, if we could have waited for a car, I would’ve loved to get the 2019 A7. But we needed the car ordered ASAP, so we went ahead with the 530.

E-class cost more and is more luxurious than dynamic. We wanted a comfortable car, but also a drivers’ car.

DRIVE TRAIN:
TL;DR, for all of the below (until X-Drive section). Recommend the 3.0L inline 6 with X-Drive if you want 4WD. Recommend the 3.0L inline 6 without X-Drive if you’re okay going sideways.

WITHIN THE RANGE (530i vs 540i):

This is VERY IMPORTANT.

Mentally:

If you’re “young”, get the 3.0L. Meaning you mash the throttle, want a relatively fast car, and are going to drive in a way that your parents would disapprove, go for the 3.0L engine. 540i, or 530d, whatever.

If you’re “older”, discretion is yours. The 2.0L in my opinion is too slow. Even “adults” that drove the car before we purchased it felt the same.

It pains me to say this, as a BMW boy, but I drove a Volvo S90 last week, and that felt better than the 530i. Googling around, the 530i has 248 HP. The S90 has about 316HP. That’s a very noticeable power difference. The 540i has 335HP. So if you want better performance for that size of a car, go 540i. If you want fuel economy, and don’t mash your foot down, or don’t want to wow your friends, go for the 530i.

M550i is excessive. Unless you’re like crazy sporty, and want something that can compete with the 0-60 of the previous generation M5, you don’t need the 550. I drove this too, and man it’s fast. But it doesn’t get the full M treatment, so I honestly don’t see the point. Unless you’re looking at price too, but we didn’t really even consider this model.

X-DRIVE:
This was a no brainer. We live in Chicago. Snow, rain, leaves, ice, low traction is a way of life 6 months of the year. This car ferries our family around, so it’s getting the AWD. It’s also the daily, so practicality is key.

If you want to drift, get the non X-Drive. The team at CarWow have drifted the RWD 530i, so it’s possible.

ORDERING PROCESS:
Custom ordering a car from BMW isn’t that complicated. Figure out what you want. Go to your BMW dealer. They’ll place a build request at the factory for your car. When the factory actually allocates a chassis to your build (as these are very automated nowadays), they’ll assign a build number and VIN to your car. Once this has happened, 4 – 6 weeks after the request, you can track the car until it reaches your dealer. We ordered the car in early/mid-September, got the allocation in October, and received the car at the end of December.

You also need to place a monetary deposit to secure the build allocation.

Once the dealership gets the car, you deal with the finances. This part is like buying any other car.

TEST DRIVE EXPERIENCE:
I drove the 2.0L 530i, 3.0L 540i and 4.4L M550i back to back. Again, the M550i wasn’t even in speculation. It was just released, and my friend handed me the keys and was like knock yourself out. If you’re considering it, go for it. It’s more expensive, but the 0-60 is very, very quick with the new 4 wheel drive system, and it’s got a lot of performance on tap.

The 2.0L disappointed power wise. Seriously, I’m shocked they sell such a low power alternative for a 5 series. That’s a heavy car, and it needs more power.

For example, a 2019 Honda Accord’s 2.0L platform provides 252HP! 248 for the 530i! And the Accord weighs less (3300 lbs vs 2750lbs)! Meaning if you mashed your foot down in an Accord, and in the BMW, you’ll probably feel more acceleration in the Honda! The Volvo S90 has a 2.0L inline 4 as well, and that feels noticeably faster.

So, if you’re going to be driving the car hard, you’re going to be hearing a lot of engine noise, and not feeling much power, which is exactly what I felt on the test drive. If you want a sporty 5 series, you need at least the 3.0L.

Handling wise, they all have the same electric steering unit, with the same automatic transmission unit. It’s smooth, but again, power helps with acceleration. If you gun it in the 530i, you hear a lot of engine noise, and the shifts don’t feel as silky smooth. If you get the 6 cylinder 3.0L platform, the driving experience is much nicer – not as intrusive cabin noise, because the engine isn’t working as hard, and the transmission is able to make shifts smooth and seamless. It doesn’t sound like the engine is killing itself right before every shift.

Just a little side note – BMWs are so nice to drive in my opinion because you never have to stop looking ahead. You can just focus on driving. The Heads Up Display gives you speed and navigation/radio information. You have volume and media controls on the steering wheel. And you can just learn to feel for the climate controls. So you never, ever have to take your eyes off the road once you’ve started driving. The new 2019 G30 platform has a nice HUD, the gesture control (even though you’re never going to use it), helps with that philosophy I guess.

ORDERED SPEC/OPTIONS:
I’ve attached the spec we ordered below. Some notes:

Can’t get the US Spec 530i with the Touch/Display Key. Need a 540i for that. I believe this availability changes market to market/country to country. Also, can’t get pedestrian detection on a 530i. Didn’t get the upgraded sound system, as the primary driver doesn’t need better audio. Lastly, pedestrian detection is not available on the 530i in the US market.

Our car is white exterior with a black interior. Contrast white stitching, and piano black inserts. Extended leather on the dashboard. I think blue looks really cool though, so if you’re contemplating white or blue, go blue.

Packages:
- Driving Assistance Plus Package
- Dynamic Handling Package
- M Sport Package
- Parking Assistance Package

- Premium Package
- Executive Package

Again, BMW has a lot of the options they offer “prepackaged” into common bundles. Again, some of these might be specific to the US market, so here they are, as we got them:

Driving Assistance Plus includes all the radar detection software features. Lane detection, radar cruise control, side collision avoidance, traffic jam and evasion aid for collisions. This is pretty new stuff, and helps a lot with the autonomous driving that the car is capable of (new on the G30 platform of the 5 series.)

Dynamic Handling Package gives you upgraded suspension and M Sport brakes, and arguably coolest – Active Rear Wheel Steering. (Integral Steering) The suspensions has Dynamic Damper Control – changing ride quality based on the road. Also changes suspension to corner flatter.

The M-Sport Pack gives you different bumpers and styling in the front and rear. Makes the car look a lot better in my opinion, but you do lose out on the ability to get the more comfortable, ventilated, executive seats. But that’s not a bad price to pay to be honest. You get 19” wheels, with the standard being the 18” I believe. LED fog lights and the bumpers make this car look mean when all the lights are on. You also get the M-Sport steering wheel.

Parking assistance gives you surround cameras and distance sensors, as well as aids in parallel parking, depending on your market. A small note, the system is much greater than the F-generation technology that the company uses, which is what I daily on the M6. It’s honestly a lot better on the new G platform.

Now, the “Premium and Executive Packages.” They’re bundled options, where the Executive package gets all of the Premium options, and then some more.
With the Premium Package: wireless charging and wifi hotspot, gesture control, and HUD.
Executive gets you all that, plus soft close doors, automatic high beams and adaptive LED lights, power sunshade and rear shade, and a dynamic digital cluster. It’s worth noting that the 2019 5 series has a fully digital instrument cluster. If you look at a 2018 model, you’ll see two solid outlines for the tacho and speedo.

STEERING FEEL:
My only other criticism of this car, other than the low power, is the steering. The steering feel is pretty numb in my opinion, and because it’s electric, it’s very light as well. The car does come with drive modes, and it tightens up at higher speeds, but even then, there’s not much response from the front end. This is with the M Sport pack, and the “sportiest” 5 series packages added to the car, so I’m not sure what other options we could have possibly added to make the car feel/handle “sportier.” From when I drove the M550i, I feel like I got the same general response from the steering wheel, so if you want a car that handles incredibly sharply, I think the M5 would be the way to go.

APP FAILED:
Only iffy thing so far – the BMW Connected Drive App isn’t working. It worked for the first few days, but after two weeks, it just failed to connect to the car. The dealer is obviously helping us try and get the issue resolved – I live by one of the largest dealers in the country, so they’ve got the best resources and some of the best techs in the game.
The application is supposed to allow you to connect to your car and view some basic insights, like mileage, fuel economy, how much fuel is left and so on. It also lets you lock and unlock the car, turn on lights, and honk the horn, and ventilate.

For the first few weeks worked fine. Then it failed to even connect to the car. Took it in, techs took the car apart, tried to diagnose the issue. Didn’t get a signal from the car at all. Later the same day, they were able to get it to communicate from the car to the phone. So the app contained information like fuel left, economy, and mileage. But sending commands from the phone, for example locking, unlocking, and so on didn’t work at all. They still don’t. The issue is ongoing, and we have to take the car back sometime. I’ll probably get a 2019 X5 loaner car in the meantime, so maybe I’ll review that too

Other than the power, the car is great! I know the person that drives it primarily is enjoying it a lot, and so is his family. I don’t drive it much, but I’m sure I would a lot more if the 2.0L had a bit more power.

If you have any more questions about the car, the ordering process, or just want to talk feel free to message or ask below!

EXTERIOR:

Thoughts: The M-Sport bumper improves the aesthetic of the car 10 fold. It looks a lot more aggressive, and would be one of the options I'd definitely try and get on the car. Side blades in gloss black contrast the car well, compared to the silver. Honestly, too much silver/chrome on a car kills the look for me, so BMW making that in black was a great call. The larger 19" wheels are good, but there need to be a few more design options available for the rim itself. You can only spec the car with M-Sport Pack with the one wheel design that we have on it. Maybe even introduce a graphite, or black in the same design, that would set it apart.

Grill in the front has active flaps. They flaps are closed, improving aerodynamics and fuel economy, until the engine needs air, and then they open. Cleans up the look of the car most of the time, and it's a noticeable change.

Side profile is strong, and athletic. Has a few strong lines that run the length of the car. Rear lights extend further along the body than the previous generation, and are a lot sharper. They're larger in the back as well.

If you come to the back, you'll see what looks like dual exhausts. On the 530i, the right one is fake, but I appreciate that they made it symmetrical. The asymmetric design on the previous 520s and 530s killed me.

Around the entire car, you have cameras that help with parking. Much different system than the F-series cars. The distance sensors are built right into the image, compared to side by side as in the previous generation. Not really a fan of that aspect of the new system. Too many moving parts on the actual image makes it harder to park in my opinion. The part I do like about the camera system is that it gives you an actual 360 view - the previous ones didn't show you the front of the car. The picture is also higher resolution.

Included some M6 to show the difference in the headlights from the F series to the G series. (Previous generation chassis codes began with F, example F10 M5, F06 M6 and so on. This is the G30 5 series, and the new G20 3 series is coming out). The shape is different, and if you look at the close ups, you might be able to see the texture in the advanced LED lights. Look great. Love that texture.

That picture with the Connected Drive device - that's the housing for the radar unit that's the eyes for all the safety equipment on board.
F-series vs G-series BMWs. Note the sharper styling on the G-series. These sharper cuts is the new styling direction BMW is taking. The 530i has the optional M-Sport pack, so you get the more aggressively styled front bumpers.
2019 BMW 530i xDrive M-Sport : I’m disappointed, BMW-screen-shot-20190110-5.27.43-pm.png

Grille size difference, headlights have a different shape, and the 530 is featured much more sharply.
2019 BMW 530i xDrive M-Sport : I’m disappointed, BMW-screen-shot-20190110-5.27.55-pm.png

Low side shot. I like how sportily this car is styled, even though it is the 'base' 530i with the M-Sport pack.
2019 BMW 530i xDrive M-Sport : I’m disappointed, BMW-screen-shot-20190110-5.28.04-pm.png

Low 3/4 rear. Again, the body lines are strong and the car is just visually appealing from most angles. The only thing that started to look odd for me after a while was just far that rear brake light extended into the side profile. Not very apparent from some angles, but you might notice it in others.
2019 BMW 530i xDrive M-Sport : I’m disappointed, BMW-screen-shot-20190110-5.28.21-pm.png

Rear shot - has symmetric/double exhausts. One is fake.
2019 BMW 530i xDrive M-Sport : I’m disappointed, BMW-screen-shot-20190110-5.28.34-pm.png

The LED rear lights on BMWs are so crisp now. If you compare the older F-generation rear lights to the new G platforms, you'll really notice the difference. Very clean, no nonsense rear bumper on the 530i.
2019 BMW 530i xDrive M-Sport : I’m disappointed, BMW-screen-shot-20190110-5.28.45-pm.png

Steering wheel is on full lock. Has integrated turn mirrors, and the car is very spacious. I'm 6 ft. 1 in. and I can fit in the back, no problem.
2019 BMW 530i xDrive M-Sport : I’m disappointed, BMW-screen-shot-20190110-5.28.52-pm.png

M-sport pack - larger rims and M-sport front caliper covers. The black accenting really makes this car the perfect blend of sport and class. They really didn't overdo it.
2019 BMW 530i xDrive M-Sport : I’m disappointed, BMW-screen-shot-20190110-5.29.00-pm.png

BMW's take on intelligent road lighting. Called BMW Laserlight, these are much brighter than previous generations' lights, use much less energy, prevent blinding oncoming traffic and the system is GPS-enabled, so it can help light turns better. They also have the small crystalline structure within the lights that look so intricate up close.
2019 BMW 530i xDrive M-Sport : I’m disappointed, BMW-screen-shot-20190110-5.29.08-pm.png

Active front grille that opens/closes to support aero vs engine cooling depending on the conditions.
2019 BMW 530i xDrive M-Sport : I’m disappointed, BMW-screen-shot-20190110-5.29.16-pm.png

Connected drive housing for all the tech that helps with lane keep assist, speed limit sign reading, guided cruise control, pedestrian detection etc.
2019 BMW 530i xDrive M-Sport : I’m disappointed, BMW-screen-shot-20190110-5.29.23-pm.png

Last edited by R. Ravi : 21st June 2019 at 09:59.
R. Ravi is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 11th January 2019, 10:58   #2
BHPian

re: 2019 BMW 530i xDrive M-Sport : I’m disappointed, BMW

A BHPian PM'd me saying that the attachments on the previous post aren't opening! I'm reattaching the spec here, and removing them from that post!

2019 BMW 530i xDrive M-Sport : I’m disappointed, BMW-spec-1.png

2019 BMW 530i xDrive M-Sport : I’m disappointed, BMW-spec-2-.png

2019 BMW 530i xDrive M-Sport : I’m disappointed, BMW-spec-3-.png

------------------------------------

INTERIOR:

Touch screen for iDrive now. Much larger than previous generation, and bezel around the screen is much smaller. Resolution of the screen is much higher than before, and looks nice. There's a dash cam installed right next to the iDrive screen, so don't get confused if you see it in the corner.

Might review that soon, it's a seriously cool third party system.

Parking system is different on the G-series cars compared to the F-series. The distance control is integrated right into the image, not side by side. I've uploaded both, the current and previous systems, the distance sensors on the M6 are disabled right now.

The resolution is much higher on the new one, and it automatically changes the camera to the one with the nearest obstacle. You can also zoom into different cameras based on what you want to see around the car. This is ok, but when you're trying to park, and you're looking at the camera, I feel like there's a little too much going on. The distance bits move, the camera changes sometimes, and the car beeps if you get close to things. All of this happens on the same image, so sometimes if there's an obstacle, the guide lines/animations end up covering it up.

M Sport wheel is nice, and is heated, which is a very good creature comfort in the winter. Leather wrapped, and has a good feeling to it. Good thickness as well.

Ambient lighting has a lot of color options available now, not just the dim orange that were present on BMWs of yesteryear.

Left hand has all your autonomous driving/cruise control controls on it, and right side has infotainment buttons on it.

HUD is a little different, UI wise, but has the same information displayed on it.

Dash is fully Digital for the first time - until 2018 there was at least a single solid ring for the tach and speedo, but now it's fully digital. It doesn't have as many animations/GMap integration as Audi's dash systems, but it is an improvement.

Stepping into the car, you have illuminated door sills and M badging.

Wireless charging pad near the cupholders. I have an iPhone X, which fits just fine with a case. Galaxy Note 9 does if there's no case, and if it has even the smallest one, it's not going to fit.

Next to gear shift, you get the adaptive drive controls. Can cycle through the different drive modes.

Piano black is very prone to microscratches on the surface. If you're contemplating which interior trim to get, and you're very keen on keeping it looking spotless, don't get the piano.

Executive pack gives you a lot of different things, but arguably the main thing in cold conditions is the heated rear seats. I know that in India, that's not going to be much of a deal breaker, but hey, it's worth pointing out. It also gives you the LED lights and soft close doors, as mentioned above.

Lastly, interior wise, the sunroof is great. It's tinted, so in a very bright place like India it'll reduce the intensity of the light coming in, but it's a good size and opens up the cabin a lot.

Interior Criticisms:
So I mentioned before that Audi interiors are too plasticy - I feel like I should clarify. The A5/S5/RS5 and A3 platforms are a bit dated now. The new A6/7/8 interiors are phenomenal. The way Audi has integrated the center console touch screens with the Virtual Cockpit instrument cluster is truly next level. BMW is playing catch up now. They've made the instrument cluster digital, but it doesn't have the flexibility and functionality of an Audi system - or the elegance and quality of Mercedes. I know that BMW is supposed to be more of an enthusiasts' brand, but they need to do something unique and creative to make the interior really feel like an enthusiasts' experience. Porsche, for example, still has analogue clusters and a huge, center tacho. It's clear they prioritize performance over luxury, even though their cars are hugely comfortable.

My biggest criticism by far, though, is this. Every. Button. Is. Plastic. Why BMW, why? It looks decent from afar. The center console is clean, functionally laid out so when you're driving on the limit, you know where everything is, and they've stuck to the BMW layout. But every time you reach out and touch one of the buttons, you feel plastic. It's a terrible feeling. The only time your hand actually touches a surface when driving is when you're turning the wheel, turning a volume knob, or pressing a button. The wheel is a leatherette - feels of a lower quality than Mercedes' leather, which is OK. But every single time you take your hand off the wheel, you push a plastic button. I know this is a very first world problem, but I really do hope they change the material and texture of these buttons, because they're really starting to fall behind. I checked out an M850i, which has a very similar interior layout. I go through my interior woes in that video a bit more extensively, so if you're curious exactly what my complaints are, feel free to check it out!

I also detail Audi's new Virtual Cockpit and digital dash and interior in this video, so if you want to see what I 'baselined' or 'compared' the interior to, check this one out too. Let me know if you agree with my comments about these cars!

Illuminated Door Sills look great at night. Not sure about the M badging in a non-M car though.
2019 BMW 530i xDrive M-Sport : I’m disappointed, BMW-16.jpeg

Steering wheel and instrument cluster. Classic 3 spoke wheel with heating function. All the basic MMI controls are on the wheel along with cruise control features. Paddles are aluminium and look solid.
2019 BMW 530i xDrive M-Sport : I’m disappointed, BMW-17.jpeg

Driving mode controls (adaptive). Traction control off at the top. Note the gloss finish tracks so many fingerprints - I tried cleaning up the car before taking some photos.
2019 BMW 530i xDrive M-Sport : I’m disappointed, BMW-18.jpeg

Front camera for parking system. Higher definition than previously, and is a wide angle lense. Looks great!
2019 BMW 530i xDrive M-Sport : I’m disappointed, BMW-19.jpeg

Bird's eye view. Thought I'd show all the information the system shows. Doors open, distance to object, guidelines etc.
2019 BMW 530i xDrive M-Sport : I’m disappointed, BMW-20.jpeg

MMI and satnav system have much higher resolution graphics now. The live traffic integration and touch screen makes the system a lot more intuitive and functional now. This is basically the old system with a new wrapper, but the graphics refresh makes the UI look very new.
2019 BMW 530i xDrive M-Sport : I’m disappointed, BMW-22.jpeg

The next two help highlight my point about the plastic materials used. The entire wheel is leatherette, metals and high quality materials. However, the actual MMI buttons and functions are plastic. It's annoying when you've spent 4x the amount of money on an M-Sport BMW, but whenever you touch a button, you get the same texture and feel as your Camry (I'm not hating on the Camry, I've had a Camry every year since 2001). You just expect more. Even the paddles - the front is brushed aluminium, but the back is plastic (facepalm).
2019 BMW 530i xDrive M-Sport : I’m disappointed, BMW-23.jpeg

2019 BMW 530i xDrive M-Sport : I’m disappointed, BMW-24.jpeg

Instrument cluster is fully digital now. Very clean and classic design, but I wish they did some unique stuff like Audi did with their virtual cockpit (video above). As far as driving experience goes though, the classic design is fantastic when you're driving a BMW on the limit (though I wouldn't drive *this* BMW on the limit).
2019 BMW 530i xDrive M-Sport : I’m disappointed, BMW-25.jpeg

The HUD is clear and very similar to the old on. Resolution is a bit higher, but it's basically the same layout as before.
2019 BMW 530i xDrive M-Sport : I’m disappointed, BMW-26.jpeg

Another picture when parking highlighting the parking system. Note the high number of guide lines integrated onto the image, which can make it harder to read when parking in tighter spaces. Too many things going on, over two different screens. Other than that though, the system is more versatile, you can access each camera individually and get a better understanding of what the car is doing.
2019 BMW 530i xDrive M-Sport : I’m disappointed, BMW-27.jpeg

Wireless charging pad. Huge note phones don't fit at all, and if you have a case on your phone, sometimes it won't go in. Also, any phone is hard to get in and out sometimes because of the cover - you have to cram it in and out. I'd honestly stick to a cable, because of how hard it is to even check a message with your phone charging.
2019 BMW 530i xDrive M-Sport : I’m disappointed, BMW-28.jpeg

Mood lighting is bright and looks great against the gloss black. Just ignore the plastic lol
2019 BMW 530i xDrive M-Sport : I’m disappointed, BMW-29.jpeg

Current generation parking system

2019 BMW 530i xDrive M-Sport : I’m disappointed, BMW-30.jpeg

Previous generation parking system
I liked the distance meter being separate from the image, because it makes both systems more clear. When they're overlaid, it's easy to miss something.
2019 BMW 530i xDrive M-Sport : I’m disappointed, BMW-31.jpeg

Center stack and console are nice and have the traditional BMW shape. Nothing revolutionary here. One huge point of having physical buttons instead of touch screen is that you don't need to take your eyes off the road. Screens change. Buttons don't.
2019 BMW 530i xDrive M-Sport : I’m disappointed, BMW-32.jpeg

Sunroof/Moonroof. Much more light in the cabin, especially on gloomy days in Chicago.
2019 BMW 530i xDrive M-Sport : I’m disappointed, BMW-33.jpeg

Last edited by R. Ravi : 19th June 2019 at 23:28.
R. Ravi is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2019, 07:18   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2019 BMW 530i xDrive M-Sport : I’m disappointed, BMW

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!
Old 22nd June 2019, 09:00   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on the 530!
Thank you for a candid review of the engine and comparison with other 2L turbopetrol competitors. I have the same engine here in India but in the smaller 330i and it's quite fast for our conditions but I can imagine how it must be lost in the crowd in the US where there are so many options to choose from and all quite powerful.

As you are in the US, why didn't you buy the Tesla instead? The acceleration puts all IC engines to shame from what I have read and seen
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2019, 16:27   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Ravi View Post

My biggest criticism by far, though, is this. Every. Button. Is. Plastic. Why BMW, why? It looks decent from afar. The center console is clean, functionally laid out so when you're driving on the limit, you know where everything is, and they've stuck to the BMW layout. But every time you reach out and touch one of the buttons, you feel plastic. It's a terrible feeling. The only time your hand actually touches a surface when driving is when you're turning the wheel, turning a volume knob, or pressing a button. The wheel is a leatherette - feels of a lower quality than Mercedes' leather, which is OK. But every single time you take your hand off the wheel, you push a plastic button. I know this is a very first world problem, but I really do hope they change the material and texture of these buttons, because they're really starting to fall behind. I checked out an M850i, which has a very similar interior layout. I go through my interior woes in that video a bit more extensively, so if you're curious exactly what my complaints are, feel free to check it out!
And I thought it was just me!

I happened to test drive a 520D recently and came out disappointed! Mind you, I drive a 10 lakh car everyday but the plastics, leather and everything I could touch couldn't justify why anyone would pay 70-80 lakhs for it. It felt tad better than a VW.

It's definitely not a first world problem. BMW really needs to work on the feel good factor! It makes or breaks a brand!
Turbohead is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2019, 00:14   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Congratulations on the 530!
Thank you for a candid review of the engine and comparison with other 2L turbopetrol competitors. I have the same engine here in India but in the smaller 330i and it's quite fast for our conditions but I can imagine how it must be lost in the crowd in the US where there are so many options to choose from and all quite powerful.

As you are in the US, why didn't you buy the Tesla instead? The acceleration puts all IC engines to shame from what I have read and seen

Great question! The Tesla is great, but it's got the range limitation. This car might be used for a bit longer drives, and to travel to/from business conferences, so time is really critical in those cases. My grandpa actually has a Tesla though, and he adores it! Maybe soon, if we add more cars to the garage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
And I thought it was just me!

I happened to test drive a 520D recently and came out disappointed! Mind you, I drive a 10 lakh car everyday but the plastics, leather and everything I could touch couldn't justify why anyone would pay 70-80 lakhs for it. It felt tad better than a VW.

It's definitely not a first world problem. BMW really needs to work on the feel good factor! It makes or breaks a brand!
Yes! I felt like it was just me, because I took quite a few people to the dealership to see the car for the test drive, when we specced it out, and when we took delivery, and nobody seems to notice the plastic! But when the majority of the controls you touch and feel are plastic, it's really disheartening! Even with the new 120k BMW M850 - if you sit in a new S Class, you feel like you're in a Maybach. If you sit in the M850, you feel like you're in a bigger 3/5 series. The brand philosophy needs to change a little in my opinion.
R. Ravi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2019, 07:43   #7
BHPian

Congrats on the car!
Coming from the raw V8 this would really feel like a step down.
I believe it's an abomination to have a 4 pot in a 5'er, wonder what BMW was thinking!
#enzowho is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks