Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 11th February 2019, 19:08   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: My Big Fat American - Chrysler 300S (5.7L Hemi)

A short memory trip of the progression I have made throughout the years in terms of car purchases:

I have not included the older cars for which I do not have pictures.

# 1st Gen Scorpio: Bought in 2003, I loved the Scorp and it was the first car in the family bought on my recommendation. It was also the first SUV in the family and shared the garage with a 2001 Opel Astra Club. It was not the best ride, but I used to love the Scorp (was a fan!).

My Big Fat American - Chrysler 300S (5.7L Hemi)-scorpio-1.jpg
My Big Fat American - Chrysler 300S (5.7L Hemi)-scorpio-2.jpg

# 1st Gen Innova: The Astra was replaced by the Innova in 2006. I did not like this van one bit as it was slow, looked painfully dull and was bought with only comfort as the priority on my family's insistence.

My Big Fat American - Chrysler 300S (5.7L Hemi)-innova-1.jpg
My Big Fat American - Chrysler 300S (5.7L Hemi)-innova-2.jpg
My Big Fat American - Chrysler 300S (5.7L Hemi)-innova-3.jpg

# 2nd Gen Scorpio: Bought in 2008 as replacement for the 1st gen, bought again on my insistence and only due to the mHawk engine making 120 bhp, which was a big deal in that segment back then.

My Big Fat American - Chrysler 300S (5.7L Hemi)-new-scorpio-1.jpg

# Fiat Punto 90 hp: Not bought as a replacement, but as a tiny city car. In 2011. Sure, it did not live up to the expectation of a so-called performance diesel hatch, but boy, the car handled like it was on rails.

My Big Fat American - Chrysler 300S (5.7L Hemi)-punto-1jpg.jpg
My Big Fat American - Chrysler 300S (5.7L Hemi)-punto-2.jpg

# Mahindra XUV5OO W8: The year after 2012. Bought a year after launch, this was the first "luxury" car in the family. Loaded to the gills with features never heard before in this segment. Rode and drove like a charm and never gave us any major issues. The Punto, Scorpio and Innova were sold in the interim.

My Big Fat American - Chrysler 300S (5.7L Hemi)-xuvfront.jpg
Name:  XUVRear.jpg
Views: 1294
Size:  186.6 KB

# Honda Civic V A/T: Year 2013, our first used purchase. Also our first A/T. Also our first premium sedan with a good petrol motor. It is still with us, though not in great shape. It is a second car primarily used for city runs.

My Big Fat American - Chrysler 300S (5.7L Hemi)-civic-1.jpg
My Big Fat American - Chrysler 300S (5.7L Hemi)-civic-2.jpg

# Lancer 2.0 GT: My first purchase in the UAE, in 2014. The car was a joy to drive, though under powered and noisy. I loved the color on that car and she looked a million bucks, not befitting her economical price.

My Big Fat American - Chrysler 300S (5.7L Hemi)-lancer-1.jpg

# Ford Mustang 3.6 V6: Wifey got her driving license and I passed on the Lancer to her. Had an itch to own an American pony car. Got fulfilled in the form of a Red V6 Mustang in 2016. This was the first time I crossed the 300 bhp barrier!

My Big Fat American - Chrysler 300S (5.7L Hemi)-mustang-1.jpg
My Big Fat American - Chrysler 300S (5.7L Hemi)-mustang-2.jpg

# Hexa XTA: Bought in 2017. Replacement for the XUV. Family needed a safe, spacious comfortable car within 22 Lacs. Hexa fit the bill. There was no debate on the color - Arizona Blue it is!

My Big Fat American - Chrysler 300S (5.7L Hemi)-hexa.jpg

# Ford Fusion 2.4: Sold the Lancer and replaced it with the Fusion in 2017. It was an upgrade for my wife in terms of space, comfort and safety. Not a fast car, but supremely comfortable and refined on the highway.

Name:  Fusion 1.jpg
Views: 1224
Size:  235.2 KB
My Big Fat American - Chrysler 300S (5.7L Hemi)-fusion-2.jpg

Finally replaced by the car this thread is all about - Crysler 300S Hemi.

Have I progressed over the years?
  • Definitely in terms of engine size and power
  • Surely in terms of comfort and safety
  • No doubt in tech and features as well
What have I learnt? Lateral upgrade is what suits me. Buy a heavily depreciated used car, which is a year or two old. The car would still be in warranty and service contract for another 2~3 years, after which I would sell it and replace it with another used car (upgrade)!

But this will work in UAE where I have the time and resources to check and buy a good car and look after it. I surely would not follow the same logic when I am buying a car for my family in Mumbai. They need peace of mind, not necessary a "big car". Hence, new cars it is in India and used cars it is in UAE.
raj_5004 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th March 2019, 21:03   #32
Senior - BHPian

Sweet car! If no one has mentioned it yet, this was designed and built in the Diamler Chrysler era - this car is closely related to the E class of the time. Chrysler has independently updated and tuned it after their split up.
vineethvazhayil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th March 2019, 21:35   #33

Loved it since I saw it in breaking bad, Heisenberg's ride!

Last edited by bblost : 8th March 2019 at 22:06. Reason: Capitalized the start of a sentence. Thanks.
Harshwardhan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2019, 18:18   #34
Senior - BHPian

Gave the car for her first service since she came in my hands.

The car is under a service contract and hence the total bill came to zero dirhams.

My previous cars has been Ford and the overall service experience of Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge is much inferior. Reasons being -
  • The transfer of warranty and service contract was not as smooth as I would have liked, especially considering I bought the car from their own dealership and not any third party.
  • The whole infrastructure of the service centre/waiting lounge does not belong to this category of vehicles.
During the service, the technician noted the two side panels next to the gear knob has deformed. This will be replaced under warranty and the part has been ordered.

Other minor issues to be addressed is a small rattling coming from the rear grab handle.
raj_5004 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2019, 18:35   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Gave the car for her first service since she came in my hands.

The car is under a service contract and hence the total bill came to zero dirhams.

Other minor issues to be addressed is a small rattling coming from the rear grab handle.
Interesting mate, does Chrysler service contract cover consumables as well?
Old 16th April 2019, 10:37   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronz_2507 View Post
Interesting mate, does Chrysler service contract cover consumables as well?
Yes. Chrysler service contract includes everything except battery and tyres if I remember correctly. Same with Ford.

But I do know of some other brands who still charge for the consumables as you mentioned. Mostly the American brands here are pretty straightforward & transparent with their warranty and service contract terms, Ford being the best and most generous.
Old 16th April 2019, 13:29   #37
BHPian

Quote:
But I do know of some other brands who still charge for the consumables as you mentioned. Mostly the American brands here are pretty straightforward & transparent with their warranty and service contract terms, Ford being the best and most generous.
You are right on the part that Ford is most generous, one of the main reasons why I am eyeing a V8 mustang some time in the future. Cadillac does charge me for the consumables. The contract only covers labor and routine maintenance parts and fluids.
Old 7th July 2019, 17:28   #38
Senior - BHPian

Running update:

It's been 6 months since I got the 300 in my hands. The car is running beautifully.

Over time, I have realized that this car fits my requirements to the T -
  1. Good looks - Check.
  2. Stonker Engine - Check.
  3. Comfortable and spacious cabin - Check.
  4. Refined cabin during normal cruising - Check.
  5. Exhaustive safety and tech features - Check.
I still love the way the engine growls during a cold start in my basement car park. I have not been fortunate to go on many long drives yet.

I love the fact that the engine-gearbox tuning is just perfect. If you are cruising with a light foot, you will sense the car being lazy and shifting to higher gears sooner & seamlessly. But the hooligan mode is activated when you mash the throttle. A 1 second delay and the car drops 2 gears and pushes your head on to the head rest and you can see the horizon disappearing!

Keep the Sport mode switched on & the Hooligan mode remains active throughout. The up shifts and down shifts are very fiercely tuned and you can always hear the engine note. This can get very intimidating in dense traffic as you need to use the throttle carefully and judiciously. One wrong move with the throttle and the car shoots forward like a maniac on steroids.

I will be visiting the dealership soon as I need to get some warranty work done:
  • The console next to the gear knob has slightly deformed, will be replaced
  • The tilt function of the sunroof is not working smoothly
  • The rear window blinds make a weird noise when opening and closing electronically
raj_5004 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th July 2019, 14:51   #39
Senior - BHPian

In my first post, I had mentioned that my car had adaptive headlights. But, I never knew that they swivel left/right. A few days back, I was in my basement parking and I took a sharp turn and got the car to a stop in front of a pillar. I noticed the headlight beam whirring back from left to right. That is when I realized that the projector swivels based on steering inputs!

Talking about headlights, every time I switched on high beam, the instrument cluster would show "Automatic High Beam Enabled". But high beam will never be activated. Now, I knew the car had automatic high beams which will switch to low beam when it detects a car coming in the opposite direction. But I could never find a way to override this function! I never use high beams anyway, but I was always curious about it. Referred the manual and realized that since my headlights are set to 'Auto', even the high beam defaults to Auto mode. I can override that by manually switching on the headlight to 'On' mode.

Meanwhile, it is summer in Dubai and like every summer, it is quite dusty on some days. Keeping a black car looking clean is quite a task. Even after a wash, the car looks pale within a short span due to the accumulated dust. I have been planning a proper detailing session, but I am just waiting for the dusty season to retreat. The car has a lot of swirl marks, which needs to be treated soon.

In the interim, I called an on-site cleaning company for a quick wash + wax session. It took them 2.5 hours to just wash & wax the car, but boy, the car was gleaming. I could not get better pics since it was already 7 pm by the time they finished.

My Big Fat American - Chrysler 300S (5.7L Hemi)-incollage_20190730_115612776.jpg
Old 30th July 2019, 19:07   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Talking about headlights, every time I switched on high beam, the instrument cluster would show "Automatic High Beam Enabled". But high beam will never be activated. Now, I knew the car had automatic high beams which will switch to low beam when it detects a car coming in the opposite direction. But I could never find a way to override this function! I never use high beams anyway, but I was always curious about it. Referred the manual and realized that since my headlights are set to 'Auto', even the high beam defaults to Auto mode. I can override that by manually switching on the headlight to 'On' mode.

In the interim, I called an on-site cleaning company for a quick wash + wax session. It took them 2.5 hours to just wash & wax the car, but boy, the car was gleaming. I could not get better pics since it was already 7 pm by the time they finished.

Attachment 1900547
Regarding the auto high beams even I had noticed the same on my Cadillac, on my way back from Abu Dhabi the headlight just switched on high beam on its own and then switched off. Also realized about auto wipers recently as well. Its a discovery even after owning the car for over a year. I can imagine the same for you as well, love the feel of American big sedans and the growl of the engine.

Would you be able to tell me about this polishing company? The car looks amazing!!
ronz_2507 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 08:53   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Would you be able to tell me about this polishing company? The car looks amazing!!
It's Keno.

Just download their app, set the location of your car on the map and choose the package you need. They have everything from a 30 AED wash to a 800 AED detailing option. For the detailing, I will prefer to drop my car at a place where they can work in a closed dust free environment rather than on the side of the road.

This time, I chose their wash + Keno shine package.
Old 6th November 2019, 19:35   #42
Senior - BHPian

300 went for it's scheduled service to the dealership. I had a few issues to be resolved as below -

* Rear automatic sunshade broke when I engaged reverse and it was sliding down. Was replaced under warranty.
* Front passenger interior door release handle was a bit hard. Replaced under warranty.
* Rattling noise from rear grab handle. Issue not resolved.
* Dealership noticed some deformation in some interior plastic panels, so they replaced the centre console side panels and all door pads under warranty!

I am not really happy with the dealership service. But I forget all that whenever I drive the beast! The engine note and angry growl is really intoxicating!

Last edited by raj_5004 : 6th November 2019 at 19:37.
Old 15th December 2019, 13:15   #43
Senior - BHPian

Had my first out-of-country road trip in the Chrsyler. It was a relatively short trip of 400 kms to the city of Khasab, which is is a port city on northern Oman’s Musandam Peninsula.

We had planned a short two day itinerary since Khasab is a small coastal town thriving on small businesses and tourism & there is nothing much in terms of activities.

The route is as below -

My Big Fat American - Chrysler 300S (5.7L Hemi)-khasab-map.jpg

For all driving enthusiasts, the highlight of the trip is, what is aptly named as the Coastal road -

My Big Fat American - Chrysler 300S (5.7L Hemi)-coastal-road.jpg

Disclaimed before proceeding: I am a noob photographer and all pics are from my phone.

# Enroute: Dubai to Oman -

My Big Fat American - Chrysler 300S (5.7L Hemi)-1.jpg

# The mesmerizing coastal road -

My Big Fat American - Chrysler 300S (5.7L Hemi)-2.jpg

My Big Fat American - Chrysler 300S (5.7L Hemi)-2.1.jpg

My Big Fat American - Chrysler 300S (5.7L Hemi)-2.2.jpg

# Pristine beaches -

My Big Fat American - Chrysler 300S (5.7L Hemi)-3-copy.jpg

# We rented a Toyota Fortuner 4x4 once we reached Khasab because our plan was to drive to the mountain valley of Khor Najd, which is not possible in a sedan. The drive uphill is off road with narrow and steep pathways and one mistake can send you tumbling down a thousand feet!

The Fortuner was a abused example (understandably) with 220K kms on the clock, but mechanically it was still tight and behaved impeccably well.

My Big Fat American - Chrysler 300S (5.7L Hemi)-4.jpg

My Big Fat American - Chrysler 300S (5.7L Hemi)-5.jpg

My Big Fat American - Chrysler 300S (5.7L Hemi)-5.1.jpg

My Big Fat American - Chrysler 300S (5.7L Hemi)-6.jpg

My Big Fat American - Chrysler 300S (5.7L Hemi)-7.jpg

My Big Fat American - Chrysler 300S (5.7L Hemi)-8.jpg

My Big Fat American - Chrysler 300S (5.7L Hemi)-9.jpg

My Big Fat American - Chrysler 300S (5.7L Hemi)-10.jpg

# Drives in and around Khasab take you by surprise. The landscape is immensely beautiful -

My Big Fat American - Chrysler 300S (5.7L Hemi)-10.1.jpg

My Big Fat American - Chrysler 300S (5.7L Hemi)-10.2.jpg

My Big Fat American - Chrysler 300S (5.7L Hemi)-11.jpg

# Some pics from the tradition dhow cruise -

My Big Fat American - Chrysler 300S (5.7L Hemi)-12.jpg

My Big Fat American - Chrysler 300S (5.7L Hemi)-13.jpg

My Big Fat American - Chrysler 300S (5.7L Hemi)-14-copy.jpg

My Big Fat American - Chrysler 300S (5.7L Hemi)-15.jpg

# Last but not the least, the hero of this trip -

My Big Fat American - Chrysler 300S (5.7L Hemi)-c1.jpg

My Big Fat American - Chrysler 300S (5.7L Hemi)-c2.jpg

My Big Fat American - Chrysler 300S (5.7L Hemi)-c3.jpg

Last edited by raj_5004 : 15th December 2019 at 13:19.
Old 15th December 2019, 19:00   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Had my first out-of-country road trip in the Chrsyler. It was a relatively short trip of 400 kms to the city of Khasab, which is is a port city on northern Omanís Musandam Peninsula.

Hey mate awesome trip, I have been planning to drive to Musandam as well, however wanted to ask you on the below points:

1. Can we drive into Oman if our car is financed in the UAE? If yes which border did you use?

2. Any other preparations needed apart from having valid Oman insurance for the car, passport, cars papers and Oman's visa?

3. How are the roads and till where can we take a sedan? Renting in Oman was it an issue or do we need any special precautions?
Old 15th December 2019, 19:21   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey mate awesome trip, I have been planning to drive to Musandam as well, however wanted to ask you on the below points:

1. Can we drive into Oman if our car is financed in the UAE? If yes which border did you use?

2. Any other preparations needed apart from having valid Oman insurance for the car, passport, cars papers and Oman's visa?

3. How are the roads and till where can we take a sedan? Renting in Oman was it an issue or do we need any special precautions?
Thanks buddy.

Firstly, I hope you have noticed that we are talking about Musandam peninsula and not Oman mainland.

Now, to answer your queries -

1. We can drive into Oman if the car is on finance. However, the car needs to be in your name. If you are driving a friend's car, I think a NOC is required. I used the Al Dhara border, which is in RAK.

2. Passport, Mulkia (car registration) and car insurance, nothing else is needed. You can get the visa on arrival at the border in 5 minutes.

3. The roads are excellent all the way! You need a 4x4 only if you plan to drive up the hills - Khor Najd or Jebel Hareem. Renting is very easy, though 4x4 is expensive comparatively!
raj_5004 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed