Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2019, 22:12   #91
BHPian

Re: JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up

2nd service update (7500km)

Second service was due in 6 months or 7500 kms. This meant I had to get the car serviced before mid-July. As I have relocated to Mumbai three months ago (one of the reasons why I couldn’t make enough time for updating here) second service happened here rather than in Pune. I chose Concorde Worli and had a few plans (oil and filter change). What followed put a spanner in them.

While filling out job sheet, SA as expected informed me that service schedule doesn’t warrant oil change. When I informed him to go ahead nevertheless, he agreed. Just out of curiosity, I asked him about the oil in stock. To my horror, he mentioned that the oil is Castrol semi-synthetic. Now, recommended oil Castrol Magnatec 5w30 A5/B5 is clearly full synthetic oil. What’s worse is that the oil was stored in drums making it impossible to verify the oil grade. When I showed him the manual and specified grade and that I want to fill oil from 3.5L can, he informed that the alternative is Mobil full-synthetic, which is 0w30, again, an incorrect grade and dispensed from drum! Not to mention that I was quoted some stratospheric price for this fully synthetic oil. Having run out of options, I let the service happen without oil change which meant that this was to be just a tick-box exercise.

Meanwhile, many owners have reported sponginess of brakes (I am fine with them, more so because I can’t tell difference unless brakes are pathetic, which they are not). As a result, JTSV representative looking after service and spares advised me to get brakes bled and cleaned, just so that he can record feedback on difference. While this was recorded on job card, after engine oil episode, I am uncertain about whether the job was done properly or done at all. Reason being that brake fluid wasn’t charged to me and I doubt service center was generous enough to not bill consumables for an activity that was out of service schedule.

The only silver lining during the day was that service was completed in 2 hours flat (I refused washing) and I was charged a total sum of zero rupees, like first service. Also, like previously, SA made absolutely no efforts to upsell anything. In an age when service centers consider it their right that customer must pay for crazy stuff like ac disinfectant and engine cleaning, lack of pestering is actually pleasant.

That apart, it seems like the car has a mind of its own when it comes to squeaks and rattles. On some days, there is pin drop silence inside and then on other days, seats will squeak and dashboard will rattle to no end. There is no reproducibility to this and it thoroughly depends on what mood the car is in. I had actually planned to report this during service but felt confident that 10 rattles would be induced while fixing one so gave it a miss.

While this may paint a picture that all is doom and gloom, JTSV team makes sure owners are not staring at blank wall. The team is always available on call for whatever problem one may have. After the service, I promptly called them up and we discussed how issues could be fixed in future. I can't predict how the ownership will pan out in coming years but one thing is sure that there is a feeling of dealing with people one can talk to and befriend rather than a nameless, faceless corporation.
ksameer1234 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2019, 11:40   #92
BHPian

Hi Ksameer, I might be wrong on this but if the recommend oil is Castrol 5w30 A5B5 that should be a semi synthetic oil. You can check on the specs on the Castrol website as well. As far as i remember the same oil is used in all the Tata new gen petrol engines.

Regards
coldice4u is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2019, 17:20   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldice4u View Post
Hi Ksameer, I might be wrong on this but if the recommend oil is Castrol 5w30 A5B5 that should be a semi synthetic oil. You can check on the specs on the Castrol website as well. As far as i remember the same oil is used in all the Tata new gen petrol engines.
Per this link, the one specified in the manual is a fully synthetic oil. Also oil from drums is always suspect and most SVC's don't store fully synthetic oil in drums anyways.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2019, 02:15   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Sharing first video for Tiago JTP Exhaust note, what better day to post/share it than Birthday for forum.
If you look closely, the left exhaust pipe is a tad shorter than the right one. I wonder why. The exhaust note is pure music to ears.

Last edited by moralfibre : 5th September 2019 at 07:49. Reason: Editing out embedded video from quoted post.
shaheenazk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2019, 08:43   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldice4u View Post
Hi Ksameer, I might be wrong on this but if the recommend oil is Castrol 5w30 A5B5 that should be a semi synthetic oil.
The specified oil is Castrol Magnatec Professional 5w30 A5/B5. I could only find fully synthetic variant for this. Also, I wonder if semi-synthetic oil would be a prudent choice with 15,000 km / 1 year drain interval.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Also oil from drums is always suspect and most SVC's don't store fully synthetic oil in drums anyways.
This is my biggest concern. I know oil from drums may be economical for SVC but it just appears shady to me. Having babied the car all this while, oil is something I don't want to compromise on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaheenazk View Post
If you look closely, the left exhaust pipe is a tad shorter than the right one. I wonder why.
It is due to the effect of gopro lens else the tips are exactly similar in length. Also, the black plastic part is not flat but tapers a bit giving an impression that exhaust tips are misaligned but it is not so.
ksameer1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2019, 02:11   #96
BHPian

Attachment 1844565

The foot pedals finish does not seem to be consistent. The black circles in them are not uniform in size and neither do they look aligned. I wish Tata had paid attention to these small details as well considering that its a sporty car. Apart from this, Tata seems to have done a fantastic job. Looking forward for a TD when it's available in my city.
Old 5th September 2019, 04:57   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1844565

The foot pedals finish does not seem to be consistent. The black circles in them are not uniform in size and neither do they look aligned. I wish Tata had paid attention to these small details as well considering that its a sporty car. Apart from this, Tata seems to have done a fantastic job. Looking forward for a TD when it's available in my city.
Is that how it really comes from the factory? Or is it after use. It seems to me like the the circular round (rubber-ish??) objects fell from some of their places, revealing a smaller black circle that it was attached to. (I know, I'm kinda talking in meta, but that's the best way I can describe that for now).
Old 5th September 2019, 07:47   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Sukiwa, nice exhaust note that the JTP has!

Quote:
The foot pedals finish does not seem to be consistent. The black circles in them are not uniform in size and neither do they look aligned.
Quote:
If you look closely, the left exhaust pipe is a tad shorter than the right one. I wonder why.
And I wonder - how do you manage to pick these small things? Must be a good eye for detail!

Btw, did you notice that the "inconsistent" sized "black circles" are placed in a symmetric way? You could turn the metal plate upside down, and it will still fit.

Last edited by manson : 27th March 2020 at 10:33. Reason: Typos.
condor is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 5th September 2019, 10:03   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1844565
They are consistent in size. On zooming in the photo, you can see part of the rubber (black circles) has come off due to usage.
Old 5th September 2019, 12:58   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayguar View Post
They are consistent in size. On zooming in the photo, you can see part of the rubber (black circles) has come off due to usage.
I did zoom on the picture before commenting. The black circles are neither perfectly round nor of the same size throughout, including the ones the rubber of which hasn't come out.
Old 12th September 2019, 00:39   #101
BHPian

Re: JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
The Driving Experience
At the heart of matter is 1.2 liter turbocharged engine that has been tuned to generate 114ps @ 5000 rpm and 150NM @ 2000-4000 rpm. Mechanically, the engine is same as the one found in Nexon but JTSV team have tuned it to extract a bit more power and made it a lot more fun to drive.
Attachment 1840210
According to official website of JTP twins, Tiago and Tigor generate 114 bhp,

https://jtp.tatamotors.com/product.html

https://jtp.tatamotors.com/product-2.html

where as the following press release states that they generate 110 bhp.

https://www.tatamotors.com/wp-conten...-Tigor-JTP.pdf

I am confused that which one is correct.
Old 12th September 2019, 03:50   #102
Senior - BHPian

The website says 83.37 kW @ 5000 rpm. That translates to 113.35 PS or 111.8 bhp.
Viju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 05:21   #103
BHPian

I think a possible point of confusion is the conversion to HP, which might be different when talking about metric HP vs mechnical/imperial HP. I'm too lazy to run the numbers but it probably is the case.
Old 4th October 2019, 13:48   #104
BHPian

Quote:
The foot pedals finish does not seem to be consistent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raystriker View Post
It seems to me like the the circular round (rubber-ish??) objects fell from some of their places, revealing a smaller black circle that it was attached to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Btw, did you notice that the "inconsistent" sized "black circles" are placed in a symmetric way ? You could turn the metal plate upside down, and it will still fit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayguar View Post
Even I have been as much perplexed about these missing rubber bits. I can confirm that each pedal has some slots painted black and missing rubber bits. What I don't know is whether that's intentional or oversight. To me, they look symmetrical and hence I didn't pay much attention earlier. Over time though, black paint has started coming off where there is no rubber. This is more so with clutch pedal (most used) and hence more visible. I'll do more investigation but seriously doubt these rubber bits would be in stock at service center. This will probably be another eyesore for me to live with.

Last edited by ksameer1234 : 4th October 2019 at 13:49.
ksameer1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2019, 04:47   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
Even I have been as much perplexed about these missing rubber bits. I can confirm that each pedal has some slots painted black and missing rubber bits. What I don't know is whether that's intentional or oversight. To me, they look symmetrical and hence I didn't pay much attention earlier. Over time though, black paint has started coming off where there is no rubber. This is more so with clutch pedal (most used) and hence more visible. I'll do more investigation but seriously doubt these rubber bits would be in stock at service center. This will probably be another eyesore for me to live with.
I suggest you get them replaced with normal pedals because once these rubber bits wear off, they will become slippery and that is not a good thing to have.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks