Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2019, 19:05   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Video Review: 2019 Mercedes-AMG G63

Likes;

- Boxy Militaristic Looks (The original G Wagen DNA is retained)
- Performance (585 HP & 850 NM, these numbers are supercar territory for sure but this engine in the G Wagen is absolutely Manic)
- Ride Quality (Even with 22"ers the ride quality was very good & a welcome change v/s the previous gen)

Dislikes;

- Few Missing features such as HUD(Dashboard layout to blame?), keyless entry (Old Fashioned Door Handles to blame?) was a slight disappointment.
- Price (The major negative for the G63 in India is the price. I remember back in 2011 the G 55 AMG was launched for INR 1.1 cr. ex-showroom & in just 8 years it costs almost double)

Video;

The video starts off with a look into the history of inception for the G wagen;

Video Review: 2019 Mercedes-AMG G63-screen-shot-20190217-7.07.24-pm.png

A quick walk-around to understand why Mercedes retained the iconic door handles;

Video Review: 2019 Mercedes-AMG G63-screen-shot-20190217-5.46.37-pm.png

^ do notice the signature door shut sound in this section of the video.

Finally we have a discussion on why the Mercedes-AMG G63 has been the top choice for the rich & famous globally;

Video Review: 2019 Mercedes-AMG G63-screen-shot-20190217-5.48.51-pm.png

Key Observations;

- The only 5 things which have been retained from the previous gen G wagen are - Headlamp washers, Door Handles, Spare Wheel Cover, Tow bar and finally the Sun Visors.
​- ​On the exterior front the new G is now 53mm longer & 64mm wider, this has definitely enhanced the Road Presence.
- The interiors adopt the latest Mercedes design language but with a much more masculine approach.
- The door lock/unlock sound is having a typical old school "Machine Gun / Gun Shot" effect.
​- This generation of the G is aprox 170 Kgs lighter than the previous one.
- Ground clearance is 270mm at the front axle and 241mm at the rear axle.
- Gone is the old 5.5L version and in comes the 4L Bi-Turbo V8 (585 hp, 850 NM), yes this is the same engine which from the e63 which i drove last year & it is equally outrageous in the G class. The 0-100 km/h sprint takes about 4.5 seconds (1 sec. faster than previous gen) and thats quick specially for a car which weighs 2.5 tons.
- Runs OK on regular petrol too, but High Octane is recommended.
- Torque distribution of the 4-Matic is rear biased 40:60 where as the previous gen was 50:50.
- Gearbox is now a 9G tronic unit (old gen used a 7 speeder)
- Gone are the rigid axles up front and in its place is an modernised independent suspension. This definitely has added to enhanced road manners & ride comfort even though the car was running on 22"ers (optional) the comfort was good enough.
- The handling may be the current best for such a powerful ladder frame type 4x4.
- Another improvement is the Fuel Economy, where in with about 170kgs of weight saving, cylinder deactivation technology and added gear ratios with the 9 speed gearbox at cruising speeds this generation is more economical.
- Yet again the Auto Braking / Collision Assist is obtrusive in our Indian conditions, for me i had kept this system Off.
- Though i had the G63 AMG with me for about 3 days i did not waste time (As most target owners would think) taking it off road. But for the people who would do so there is enough clearance, tools (3 locking differentials) & torque available.
- Note the Low Range has to be activated when the Gear is in Neutral & can be done in motion too (upto 40 km/h)
- Side Exit exhausts are retained and have a typical AMG V8 Note with a slight more bass, though i personally feel the E63s (same engine) had a louder exhaust.
​- With its military genetics, boxy shape & large proportions it is unlike any other vehicle on the road.

Conclusion;

Overall Mercedes has done a great job in combining 2 extremes i.e. Luxury & Off Road into a harmonious symbiosis of a Luxurious Off Roader in the form this generation of the G Wagen.
Looking at its price tag its understandable ​Mercedes India would want to maintain exclusivity for the G63 owners but i genuinely think Mercedes India should launch the 350d variant of the G wagen and position it under the Toyota Land Cruiser & definitely we will see a lot more G Wagens on the road

Last edited by karan561 : 17th February 2019 at 19:34.
karan561 is online now   (44) Thanks
Old 17th February 2019, 20:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Video Review: 2019 Mercedes-AMG G63

Hey Karan, thanks for the review. I have driven the 2018 version and you've echoed my thoughts in quite a few areas - you were almost panting at 5.10 while telling folks to keep their head on their shoulders while driving this car. And it was polite of you to say "It's laughable that they put so much power into the G."

I have also felt that the driving position - the position of the pedals, steering wheel are not conducive to driving fast. The driving position is very much the same as in the Force Gurkha - imagine doing 250 kmph in one. And while Mercedes has changed a lot of stuff it's the same driving position that doesn't give you the confidence to push unless it's a wide open and empty road. Corner carving tendencies are best left at home.

This car is actually promoted by AMG themselves as a Boss Wagon - one in which to cruise with the bass rumble pouring out of its exhaust steadily with an occasional burst on an empty wide stretch of road.

The ergonomics are kind enough to let you know that you can go fast when you are on a suicide mission.
AMG Power is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 17th February 2019, 22:43   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
Hey Karan, thanks for the review.
Thanks AMG Power !

Quote:
I have driven the 2018 version and you've echoed my thoughts in quite a few areas - you were almost panting at 5.10 while telling folks to keep their head on their shoulders while driving this car. And it was polite of you to say "It's laughable that they put so much power into the G."
True, those section of the video had some crazy acceleration pulls.

Quote:
I have also felt that the driving position - the position of the pedals, steering wheel are not conducive to driving fast. The driving position is very much the same as in the Force Gurkha
I honestly haven't driven the Force Gurkha, but now look forward to driving one.

Quote:
This car is actually promoted by AMG themselves as a Boss Wagon - one in which to cruise with the bass rumble pouring out of its exhaust steadily with an occasional burst on an empty wide stretch of road.
Boss wagon as well as Boss Convoy wagon
karan561 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 14:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
I honestly haven't driven the Force Gurkha, but now look forward to driving one.
The Gurkha is based on the old G Wagen platform and is powered by an earlier Mercedes engine - the OM 616. As is the Force Traveller that is based on the Mercedes Transporter (the T1).
AMG Power is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 14:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hi Karan, thanks for sharing another nice video. Like how you spend your weekends. Any information on safety rating of the new G Class?
rrsteer is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 21:35   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
The Gurkha is based on the old G Wagen platform and is powered by an earlier Mercedes engine - the OM 616. As is the Force Traveller that is based on the Mercedes Transporter (the T1).
Interesting info, Thanks !

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Hi Karan, thanks for sharing another nice video. Like how you spend your weekends.
Thanks rrsreer for your appreciation

Quote:
Any information on safety rating of the new G Class?
I believe no crash-test data for the 2019 G-Class has been published yet

Last edited by karan561 : 18th February 2019 at 21:51.
karan561 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 19th February 2019, 13:38   #7
BHPian

Re: Video Review: 2019 Mercedes-AMG G63

Very Apt review of the G-wagon!
Nothing screams "I don't give a damn" better than the G63 AMG.

The Crash Test ratings reminded me of this video:
dean5545 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th February 2019, 22:43   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
Very Apt review of the G-wagon!
Nothing screams "I don't give a damn" better than the G63 AMG.
Thanks dean5545.

Quote:
The Crash Test ratings reminded me of this video:
^

Speaking of Crash testing, in continuation of my previous post, Surprisingly the previous gen G63 hadn't had a crash rating too. Similarly it seems most other supercars like Lamborghini, Mclaren etc dont undergo crash testing (may be too expensive to undergo testing )

The G has always been very safe & was safe when it released (late 1970s), but times have changed. Though the G is a very sturdy SUV in regards to head-on and rear end collisions. However, i believe most fatal G-Wagen crashes over the years would have occurred when these rollover. Being a tall SUV & having a high center of gravity the gadgetry may not be useful from rolling over at speed, Specially as the G wasn't originally designed for speed.

Last edited by karan561 : 19th February 2019 at 22:50.
karan561 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 20th February 2019, 10:57   #9
BHPian

Very nice review Karan. The G63 is my all time favorite. I am looking forward to when MB launches the 'Crazy Colours' in the new avatar.
The only inhibiting factor is the PRICE. Even though the finishing is top notch, I sometimes think they have deliberately kept it overpriced to add uniqueness and 'want factor' to the brand. Much like other luxury brands we see in other segments.
KkVaidya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2019, 12:37   #10
BHPian

You had the G for three days, you lucky 🦆!

I often wonder about the logic of these vehicles, they have supercar power yet can't be driven consistently at similar speeds due to scary handling (even on a race track); they also have solid off road credentials but which off road track requires 500+ bhp & 850+ Nm torque? Especially in India I doubt any owner can use even 40% of its potential.

Then the answer comes to me "because Mercedes can, & buyers have wads of pink to throw".

Exclusivity, snob value & image, the G gives in spades. That's where all the dosh goes.
superbad is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th February 2019, 14:24   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....it seems most other supercars like Lamborghini, Mclaren etc dont undergo crash testing (may be too expensive to undergo testing......
Possible Reasons

1) No point in doing a NCAP on a Aventador at 64Kmph

2) They will eventually become pulp at a 240Kmph crash

3) Even with a 0-Star NCAP Rating, a Hyper car sales # will not come down

PS - If they ever did one...

svsantosh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2019, 19:36   #12
BHPian

The G class has always been my dream car since my UG medical studies in Armenia (erstwhile Soviet Union) where it was the de facto ride of the Mob. Whenever a cavalcade of G classes would come even the cops would scramble for cover. Definitely a "gangsta" ride, and the new torque monster engine is just mind boggling.

Hope we get to see a lot more of them on our roads filled with sub 4m sedans..sigh

P.S: Amazing review, made my day. Had an interesting read on my birthday!!
docprashant is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2019, 22:33   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Speaking of Crash testing, in continuation of my previous post, Surprisingly the previous gen G63 hadn't had a crash rating too. Similarly it seems most other supercars like Lamborghini, Mclaren etc dont undergo crash testing (may be too expensive to undergo testing )
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't crash tests mandatory? And as far as I know, some of these companies simulate the tests on specialized software to see the impact, so a virtual crash test, if you will. The software is quite accurate in simulating the physics of a crash which makes it much more cost-effective than crashing, say, a $200k car with expensive dummies & setups.
AnInternetUser is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2019, 00:20   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Very nice review Karan.
Thanks Vaidya.

Quote:
The only inhibiting factor is the PRICE. Even though the finishing is top notch, I sometimes think they have deliberately kept it overpriced to add uniqueness and 'want factor' to the brand. Much like other luxury brands we see in other segments.
^ True that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbad View Post
You had the G for three days, you lucky ��!

Quote:
Exclusivity, snob value & image, the G gives in spades. That's where all the dosh goes.
+1 to that

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Possible Reasons

1) No point in doing a NCAP on a Aventador at 64Kmph

2) They will eventually become pulp at a 240Kmph crash

3) Even with a 0-Star NCAP Rating, a Hyper car sales # will not come down

PS - If they ever did one...
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by docprashant View Post
The G class has always been my dream car since my UG medical studies in Armenia (erstwhile Soviet Union) where it was the de facto ride of the Mob.
WoW, studying in a country as historic as Armenia would surely have been a one of a kind experience.

Quote:
Whenever a cavalcade of G classes would come even the cops would scramble for cover. Definitely a "gangsta" ride, and the new torque monster engine is just mind boggling.
Indeed.

Quote:
P.S: Amazing review, made my day. Had an interesting read on my birthday!!
Thanks Doc & belated Birthday wishes to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnInternetUser View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't crash tests mandatory? And as far as I know, some of these companies simulate the tests on specialized software to see the impact, so a virtual crash test, if you will. The software is quite accurate in simulating the physics of a crash which makes it much more cost-effective than crashing, say, a $200k car with expensive dummies & setups.
Found this interesting article which may have the answer to your question;

https://www.carkeys.co.uk/news/do-yo...-safe-are-they

Last edited by karan561 : 21st February 2019 at 00:21.
Old 22nd February 2019, 21:12   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Had taken a few pics of the G63 alongside my Fortuner;

Video Review: 2019 Mercedes-AMG G63-img_20190126_1237512.jpg

^ A clear height advantage for the mighty G.

Video Review: 2019 Mercedes-AMG G63-img_20190126_123914.jpg

Both have deep rooted History - The Fortuner derived from the indestructible Hilux & the G63 with its militaristic origin

Video Review: 2019 Mercedes-AMG G63-img_20190126_123837.jpg

The Fortuner with a V8 + Manual would make strong case for itself

Last edited by karan561 : 22nd February 2019 at 21:21.
karan561 is online now   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks