Team-BHP - frankmehta tinkers again: Smoke Grey Ford Aspire TDCI Titanium+
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   frankmehta tinkers again: Smoke Grey Ford Aspire TDCI Titanium+ (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/207024-frankmehta-tinkers-again-smoke-grey-ford-aspire-tdci-titanium-2.html)

Congrats on the soon to a be beast of a car. Like the way you have put the likes and dislikes. Definitely surprised to see such a welcoming response from a new car dealer these days. Can't wait to see the updates on the new car.

You definitely have given me an option to choose for my Brio replacement.

Good purchase :thumbs up

Regarding the over-steering experience you had, it is more to do with the new tires, at least in my case. I have the Sports variant which comes with the same set of tyres as the new Aspire.
I had few heart in mouth situations when it happened as well, especially when the back started fish-ailing under hard braking. Once the tires started wearing out around the 5k kms mark, this phenomenon reduced a lot. Especially the braking part.
Because the car is light, a lot of things would feel different from the Polo. You can easily make the back step out on hard turns, if the road is slippery. Otherwise, from what I have felt, the car holds its line quite well on a fast turn. There is body roll, but it is a matter of getting used to driving this car to have more fun. The best upgrade on this car along with engine mods would be stiffer springs.

A sub 8 sec diesel Aspire? This car already ticks off drivers of more powerful cars in its stock form and mild remaps.

Congrats frankmehta on your latest acquisition!
Your writing skills are just way too good and to be honest, it overlaps the actual review itselflol: I hope I'll get to learn a whole lot of things from you.
The Aspire has always been quite a good looking car and this smoke grey colour with the all new grill complements her curves even better:D. Even we have a 18' Ford Aspire Sports Edition in smoke grey and I have to say, everytime I park the vehicle I never fail to turn back and give a quick glance at her! that's how impressive she is!
Quote:

Originally Posted by frankmehta (Post 4550741)
The Passenger seat has a very sensitive weight sensor, and keeping a 5 kg bag on it was enough to evoke a seat-belt reminder.

I believe you meant a sensitive pressure sensor here.

I was going through the feature list of my Aspire S on FordEtis website and was surprised by a feature mentioned there:
(+)"GEN RHD"
Exterior Paint - Solid
With Electronic Stability Control
"US" Tailgate Badge

As far as my knowledge goes, only the automatic version of Aspire gets the ESC. Is FordEtis wrong here? Or does the Aspire Sports edition actually get an ESC? Can I get some experts comments on this?

Good to hear about your dealership experience. Mine was dismal to say the least. I had none of the emails you received nor any updates on my vehicle. In fact I was following up most of the times and rarely received any promised callbacks. The dealership even allotted me a test drive aspire but thankfully I identified it during PDI a day before delivery. :Frustrati

Contrary to your experience I do find the Getrag gearbox a bit notchy specially when I compare it with my outgoing Dzire VDI. Maybe the TDCI gearbox is more sorted(mine is dragon heart). Seating position is another thing that troubles me. Most probably its me and not the seats but still not finding a good seating position in your new car keeps niggling me.

I was almost adamant on buying an automatic this time but due to my low running I gave it a skip but am surprised that you chose a manual after driving an automatic for so many years and that too a DSG.

I also like the understated looks of the Aspire including the interiors(not the yellowish beige color of course). Got aftermarket dark grey slip on seat covers too which go well with the dashboard but does reduce the perceived roominess of the cabin. Any after market accessories you went for?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sukiwa (Post 4551173)
Food for thought: Can Aspire engine bay accommodate 2.2L engine?

Say what??? Hahahha. That's not going to happen in a while.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AYP (Post 4551223)
Hi Frank,

Any reason why you didn't go for the Ameo TDI, considering the fact that it has a better performing engine and being a VAG, it would be more suitable for upgrades. Was it the rear space? Or the sense of resemblance to your previous car? Or perhaps both the above reasons?

The Polo platform is now dated, done and dusted. Most of the mods I had would fit right on to the Ameo, and that would take away a lot of the fun I was supposed to have with the new car.
The Ameo also didn't tick the right boxes wrt Interior Space, Boot Space, Boxy looks and it's familiarity with my earlier car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by abeerbagul (Post 4551237)
Oh wow, if that is possible, sign me up. I am getting delivery of a Figo Sports diesel on Sunday, and the stock suspension is great on the sports model.

Do you want to do a back to back drive of your car and the Figo diesel sports? Let me know and I can drive down to a mutually convenient location.

Congratulations! Of course, I remember you! Let's do the same! I am actually excited to drive the S model! Run your car in, for a few weeks and then let's do this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ariesonu (Post 4551269)
C
You mentioned about change of alloys, Please post nice pics of new alloys - comparison photos of OLD-NEW would be more ideal

Hahhahaha! I am half scared to go to my Ford Service Station (due on Friday this week) since I will have quite a bit of explaining to do.

About the alloys? Expect an avalanche of pictures in a separate post, because, BOY have we got some good pics!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prathiiik (Post 4551285)

Congratulations! Can't wait to see some good mods on your Red car. Hit me up whenever you need anything!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayguar (Post 4551286)
You definitely have given me an option to choose for my Brio replacement.

WAIT! Don't replace her! Do THIS! https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...highlight=crio

Quote:

Originally Posted by tharian (Post 4551309)

A sub 8 sec diesel Aspire?

Thanks for the info about the tires. It's a relief.

Sub-8 is possible very easily. I am yet to detail my drivetrain mods, but you will see how simple it gets.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragasruoban (Post 4551320)
I believe you meant a sensitive pressure sensor here.

I was going through the feature list of my Aspire S on FordEtis website and was surprised by a feature mentioned there:
(+)"GEN RHD"
Exterior Paint - Solid
With Electronic Stability Control
"US" Tailgate Badge

As far as my knowledge goes, only the automatic version of Aspire gets the ESC. Is FordEtis wrong here? Or does the Aspire Sports edition actually get an ESC? Can I get some experts comments on this?

Sorry, I did mean the pressure sensor.
The ESP bit looks suspect, but I am guessing, since it's on ETIS, you have it. Do try asking your ASS or your Service Advisor and revert here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick Avi (Post 4551384)
Got aftermarket dark grey slip on seat covers too which go well with the dashboard but does reduce the perceived roominess of the cabin. Any after market accessories you went for?

I got the Manual so I could tinker with the TurboDiesel.
Also, A LOT OF ACCESSORIES are coming up. Keep scrolling!

I can't get seat covers due to the Airbags, even though many companies say they make 'airbag deployable' seat covers. I would prefer to leave that safety aspect alone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankmehta (Post 4550741)

Handling, on-road behaviour, grip levels, stability, body roll & turning radius
I am not a handling-wandling guy, and I don't attack corners at speed. But even I AM DISAPPOINTED. The Ford hates corners. She cannot dream of carving them like the Polo and I am not happy with that. I took a corner at 60 kmph to see what the car can do, and I had my nads in my mouth! The damn car OVERSTEERED so horribly that I vowed never to do that on public roads again. I was shocked. If I had done this with my Fiesta S, I would be grinning from ear-to-ear. Sadly not, in the Aspire..

Braking (effectiveness, pedal feel...)
Stock power: Brakes are great, well modulated, well servoed, with great pedal feel and proper bite. The Bite has been tweaked in the new Aspire and I find it top-notch.
What scares me is how sensitive the ABS is. I am absolutely horrified to see how quickly it comes on, even in normal situations.

Understeering and ABS going berserk are classic signs that the protection material on the tyres haven't worn out. I suggest you to wait for upto 5-7k KM's before repeating these experiments!

And besides, congrats on getting a true all rounder!:thumbs up

Wow! A very nice and detailed write-up doc. Congratulations! I wish you and your loved ones SAFE and PEACEFUL drives in your new Ford Aspire. :)

Actually, I am a bit curious to know, why didn't you opt for an automatic? I drove the Ford Aspire automatic one day and honestly, I quite enjoyed the sweet 1.5 Torque Converter gear box. It was butter smooth.

Hi Frank.. This is such a good review.. The points are written with impeccable detail and I read this with so much fun. Indeed my Aspire TDCi Titanium is simply growing upon my and now after crossing 1000 km, the engine seems to communicate via telepathy..

In terms of braking it from a high speed, I brake in a two-push motion. I press the brake once and then release the brake and press it again !! In this way, the car braking distance goes down drastically and can decelerate real quick and stop within 2 feet from almost 80 kmph

The ST Treatment!

I have seen a Ford Focus ST on Top Gear and always wondered why Ford didn't bring this beauty to India as a 'Halo' product.
The ST has everything one needs in a car, without being overtly expensive and impractical. I debated a lot in my head, if I should give my car the ST treatment cosmetically, as just splashing on badges would be boy-racer type. A homage to the hallowed ST can't look RICE.
I decided to take it slow, and order a few badges and experiment a little.
In my head, I was already building up what I would do to the drivetrain to make it live up to the ST logos on her livery.

Here's what I did.

I had the original Alloys on at the time, so I got ST hubcap stickers. This was my first 'ST' mod and I quite liked it!

frankmehta tinkers again: Smoke Grey Ford Aspire TDCI Titanium+-img_20190128_163012.jpg

frankmehta tinkers again: Smoke Grey Ford Aspire TDCI Titanium+-img_20190128_163024.jpg

frankmehta tinkers again: Smoke Grey Ford Aspire TDCI Titanium+-img_20190128_163043.jpg

frankmehta tinkers again: Smoke Grey Ford Aspire TDCI Titanium+-img_20190128_163051.jpg

Next up, was a smaller detail.
I decided to put on ST tire valves. Put them on too. Made the alloys look passable (for some time) at least.

frankmehta tinkers again: Smoke Grey Ford Aspire TDCI Titanium+-img_20190128_163018.jpg

frankmehta tinkers again: Smoke Grey Ford Aspire TDCI Titanium+-img_20190128_163039.jpg

frankmehta tinkers again: Smoke Grey Ford Aspire TDCI Titanium+-img_20190128_163037.jpg

frankmehta tinkers again: Smoke Grey Ford Aspire TDCI Titanium+-img_20190128_163033.jpg

Once I started liking the ST logo, I started getting a little more cheeky. Decided to stick on the ST logo on my Boot!

frankmehta tinkers again: Smoke Grey Ford Aspire TDCI Titanium+-img_20190128_161834.jpg

frankmehta tinkers again: Smoke Grey Ford Aspire TDCI Titanium+-img_20190128_161840.jpg

frankmehta tinkers again: Smoke Grey Ford Aspire TDCI Titanium+-img_20190128_161850.jpg

frankmehta tinkers again: Smoke Grey Ford Aspire TDCI Titanium+-img_20190128_161858.jpg

The Steering wheel looked pretty barren, if you asked me. The trapezoid notch at the bottom looked it was missing something. I was right! The ST came with a beautiful logo in that place. Here's how it looks on my Aspire.

frankmehta tinkers again: Smoke Grey Ford Aspire TDCI Titanium+-img_20190129_163708.jpg

frankmehta tinkers again: Smoke Grey Ford Aspire TDCI Titanium+-img_20190129_163715.jpg

frankmehta tinkers again: Smoke Grey Ford Aspire TDCI Titanium+-img_20190129_163702.jpg

frankmehta tinkers again: Smoke Grey Ford Aspire TDCI Titanium+-img_20190129_163719.jpg

frankmehta tinkers again: Smoke Grey Ford Aspire TDCI Titanium+-img_20190129_163731.jpg

frankmehta tinkers again: Smoke Grey Ford Aspire TDCI Titanium+-img_20190129_163758.jpg

The ST bug caught on, and I had ONE more place where it would look GORGEOUS. You are right! The GRILLE. Wait till you see how mean the ST logo looks on the car. It's almost like adding a nose-ring to a woman's face and upping the sexy quotient umpteen times!
This is probably my most favourite ST mod.

frankmehta tinkers again: Smoke Grey Ford Aspire TDCI Titanium+-img_20190205_105741.jpg

frankmehta tinkers again: Smoke Grey Ford Aspire TDCI Titanium+-img_20190208_193748.jpg

frankmehta tinkers again: Smoke Grey Ford Aspire TDCI Titanium+-img_20190211_164957.jpg

frankmehta tinkers again: Smoke Grey Ford Aspire TDCI Titanium+-img_20190211_203625_909.jpg

frankmehta tinkers again: Smoke Grey Ford Aspire TDCI Titanium+-img_20190211_203625_910.jpg

frankmehta tinkers again: Smoke Grey Ford Aspire TDCI Titanium+-whatsapp-image-20190227-18.19.47.jpeg

After seeing this ST badging, one would think, THAT's enough! But NO, I had one more thing (AKA Steve Jobs, RIP), the pièce de résistance. The ILLUMINATED ST Backlit Custom License plates!!!!! clap:
There's a little story behind these, and I would like to share them. I was waiting for my car at a Valet Booth in a 5-Star hotel, and I managed to spot a BMW X5 with backlit plates. This was a couple of years ago. I searched, and searched, but nothing gave me the finish and look that I saw on those plates. I came across a few, but they looked very cheap. Finally, I spotted these and I am pleased with the final result!

Mock-up on the Computer and final artwork created by my printer

frankmehta tinkers again: Smoke Grey Ford Aspire TDCI Titanium+-1.jpg

frankmehta tinkers again: Smoke Grey Ford Aspire TDCI Titanium+-img_20190222_153427.jpg

frankmehta tinkers again: Smoke Grey Ford Aspire TDCI Titanium+-img_20190222_153616.jpg

frankmehta tinkers again: Smoke Grey Ford Aspire TDCI Titanium+-img_20190222_153623.jpg

Here's a video, and I will take one in the dark, I promise.

https://youtu.be/VP9O2iwRv4o

Amazing thread as always! I love the subtle mods you've done to the Aspire. Could you also share the details of the remap?

Wish you clock many happy miles! (Which you will:D)

Cheers!

Frank congrats! Aspire is one of the best value cars in that segment. Nice one with the ST badging all around. The Boot of the car looks a bit tacky though with as much as 5 logos scattered around. Are you considering debadging some of them. IMO, Just a simple ST badge on one corner will look damn sweet

Something like this:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attac...e-img_0217.jpg

Congratulations @Frankmehta on your new buy. That's a neat write up.

I am in a similar dilemma to choose between the Hyundai Accent, Tata Tigor, Maruti Suzuki Dzire and Ford Aspire. The family's inclined towards the Dzire while I am more keen on adding either the Ford or the Hyundai to my garage. Your review has definitely come at the right time!

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankmehta (Post 4551633)
The ST Treatment!
I have seen a Ford Focus ST on Top Gear and always wondered why Ford didn't bring this beauty to India as a 'Halo' product.
The ST has everything one needs in a car, without being overtly expensive and impractical.

Oh man, fodder to pull-your-leg.
Now with "ST" badges, is your car is part of reservation Quota now. lol:

With ST badges on alloys, how about some RED-LIP treatments also, probably if alloys also get gun-metal or black shade.

Next can also be ST (intricately embroidered) treatment on headrests.

Rgds-Sonu

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankmehta (Post 4551633)
The ST Treatment!

Here's what I did.

I had the original Alloys on at the time, so I got ST hubcap stickers. This was my first 'ST' mod and I quite liked it!

Hi Frankmehta,

Congratulations, superb color choice for the car. A neatly put up "ST" logo on the remote please.

Cheers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankmehta (Post 4550479)
This was, by far the best car buying experience in my whole life! We have bought cars before the Aspire, many costing much more than her, but no one has made us feel as special, loved and given us an absolutely exclusive buying experience like Rudra Ford did.

I must thank my friend, Hiral Udani for giving me the number to Mr. Rajesh at Rudra Ford, Mira Road when I started hunting for a good dealer. I had heard bad things about Ford dealers, and this one in particular, was the farthest from home, so the last on my list. But Mr. Rajesh, Roshni Kadam and their entire team showed us the importance of customer care

Congrats on your new Aspire!! It's a lovely little car and with your tweaks it would get even better.

I bought my Ecosport from Rudra Ford last year and have a similar pleasant sales experience. The service experience over the last year has been nothing but stellar.

Congrats again on your soon to be beast.