Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2019, 17:50   #31
BHPian

Re: My search for an automatic car ends with the Volkswagen Passat Highline 2.0 TDI DSG

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Seems to be an intrinsic issue with the Passat. From the TBHP review: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post4344790 (Driven: Volkswagen Passat)

<We must however add that while the Passat's engine sound is controlled, road noise and wind noise creeping into the cabin is rather high, especially when the speedo nears 120 km/h. This is disappointing and not something we'd expect in a premium car. Similar observations were made on the Tiguan, so we don't understand why VW is messing its NVH up.>
I'd not have expected VW to look over an issue like that in QC but like the OP said, a tyre upgrade and right pressure levels ought to provide a temporary fix. Maybe even damping the doors?
TheHelix0202 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2019, 23:37   #32
BHPian

Re: My search for an automatic car ends with the Volkswagen Passat Highline 2.0 TDI DSG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
I'd not have expected VW to look over an issue like that in QC but like the OP said, a tyre upgrade and right pressure levels ought to provide a temporary fix. Maybe even damping the doors?
I am quite satisfied with the NVH levels on my 8 months old Passat Highline. Road noise has reduced considerably after the Tyre upgrade (Michelin Primacy 4 ST - stock size). Also not to forget the generous servings of Gummi pflege on all the door beadings at regular intervals.

Sunroof squeaking its way to glory on inclines is a different thing altogether, more specifically the squeaks while getting into and out of Service lanes. That's an irritant that I have been unable to resolve so far and will have to probably live with.
deep_behera is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2019, 00:02   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_behera View Post
I am quite satisfied with the NVH levels on my 8 months old Passat Highline. Road noise has reduced considerably after the Tyre upgrade (Michelin Primacy 4 ST - stock size). Also not to forget the generous servings of Gummi pflege on all the door beadings at regular intervals.

Sunroof squeaking its way to glory on inclines is a different thing altogether, more specifically the squeaks while getting into and out of Service lanes. That's an irritant that I have been unable to resolve so far and will have to probably live with.
So that settle it then. A good quality tyre upgrade must be on the cards for all new Passat owners. The information about the sunroof squeaking is interesting. Could you please elaborate further?
TheHelix0202 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2019, 00:55   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
So that settle it then. A good quality tyre upgrade must be on the cards for all new Passat owners. The information about the sunroof squeaking is interesting. Could you please elaborate further?
Well, it's indeed a peculiar problem that occurs only when the car is entering an incline at a certain angle. The squeaking happens whenever one side of the car is at a different level compared to the other side. For example, squeaking noises can be heard while entering a service lane which is slightly higher than the main road, the front left portion of the car is on the incline and the rear right portion of the car is still on the main road.

Folks from VW have taken Audio/video recordings of the squeaking sound but no resolution from them so far. They mentioned that the source of the noise was possibly the contact point of the rollers and the sliding channel. The car is well built and feels like a tank but because of the huge size and weight, it could be possible that there is some flexing or twisting on such inclining positions and contributing to the noise.

Note that the same squeak from the sunroof is never heard when I enter or leave an incline head-on. Also never heard on normal roads or on bad roads.

Having said that, I have now kind of learned to live with this minor irritant and focus more on enjoying the overall experience. Not to mention that anytime getting inside the car puts a huge smile on my face. The way you feel pampered while inside the car is a sublime experience in itself.
deep_behera is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th October 2019, 13:57   #35
BHPian

Hi pnredkar,

Congratulations for the new car and Thank you for the detailed review!
I like the Passat, both the previous gen and the current one. In my opinion it is one of those cars that once you buy you do not need any other luxury vehicle.

Wishing you many happy miles in it!
aghate is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2019, 23:33   #36
BHPian

I bought my Passat Highline in Oct 2018, and I've been facing the same creaking/groaning sounds from the sunroof all this while. The sound comes only when encountering an uneven surface, for example, when the car enters/leaves an incline, or when I cross a speed breaker diagonally, or when the road is just bad enough. It started as a minor irritant, and the sounds were not so frequent, but it seems as if the frequency has now increased and sound has become louder. Sometimes it is so loud that passengers look up wondering if the sunroof glass would explode.

At first I thought it was the rubber beadings (the ones of the sunroof rubbing against those of the fixed part of the roof) but that doesn't seem to be the case. That's because I tried everything; opening the manual fabric shutter an inch, 1/4, 1/2 and full, opening the sunroof glass an inch, 1/2 and full, tilting it etc but the sound is still there.

Reported to VW and they confirmed some other Passat owners have similar complaints and they've sent an email to VW India but there is yet no response. Also made an audio- video from inside the car to send to VW India.

Meanwhile I've ordered Gummi Pfledge and plan to use it generously on the rubber beadings to see if it helps. Also searched VW forums and there seem to be some posts with similar problems reported by various VW model owners, till now there has been no solution posted in any forum. The best part is, VW A.S.S wants to take apart the entire roof lining and remove the sunroof to 'diagnose' the sound, and I heard it involves the use of a 'gas cutter' !

Has anyone of you noticed that the manually operated fabric shutter (or sunroof curtain) slides back an inch or so after every few days/certain hours of driving ? I have a hunch that the sound comes from channel/sliding mechanism of that curtain and if so, VW India can easily sort it out without the gas cutter !

Last edited by Vishesh : 3rd November 2019 at 23:39. Reason: Forgot to add something
Old 4th November 2019, 08:33   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishesh View Post
Also searched VW forums and there seem to be some posts with similar problems reported by various VW model owners, till now there has been no solution posted in any forum. The best part is, VW A.S.S wants to take apart the entire roof lining and remove the sunroof to 'diagnose' the sound, and I heard it involves the use of a 'gas cutter' !
It's a common problem especially on the MQB platform cars and especially the Octavia, albeit it develops after a few years and not immediately after delivery. Just search Google for something like 'noisy sunroof Octavia'. From what I understand the sealant holding the sunroof frame to the roof dries gradually, and especially when exposed to the sun.

However, I suspect the recent issues with the latest (i.e. last) batch of Passats delivered is that the CKD kits or manufactured cars have been stored longer than normal in the VW India factory, and are thus prone to premature sunroof noises. Whatever it is, the same needs to be taken up as a one-off case and rectified professionally by VW. Please make it a point to capture the complaint OFFICIAlLY on all job cards, complaint notes etc to ensure formal acceptance of the issue at a later date by VW.
Old 6th November 2019, 11:23   #38
BHPian

Quote:
I bought my Passat Highline in Oct 2018, and I've been facing the same creaking/groaning sounds from the sunroof all this while. The sound comes only when encountering an uneven surface, for example, when the car enters/leaves an incline, or when I cross a speed breaker diagonally, or when the road is just bad enough. It started as a minor irritant, and the sounds were not so frequent, but it seems as if the frequency has now increased and sound has become louder. Sometimes it is so loud that passengers look up wondering if the sunroof glass would explode.

At first I thought it was the rubber beadings (the ones of the sunroof rubbing against those of the fixed part of the roof) but that doesn't seem to be the case.
Mine is a December 2018 Highline. I have noticed a slight groaning / creaking sound when I drive up / down the ramp to my basement parking. Since this isn't too big an issue, I'd rather ignore it than ask my local VW A.S.S. to look into it (I don't have too much faith in them). However, the problem on my car doesn't sound as severe as the description of your experience. If you do manage to find a solution, do share. Cheers!
Old 29th December 2019, 11:44   #39
BHPian

Hey pnredkar hope you are enjoying the Passat. I recently found a problem with my car's headlights fogging up. It wasn't there during the rainy season as most people have faced this problem then, but mine have fogged up during the blistering winters we are facing here in the North. Quite unhappy with the developments, so wanted to know if anyone has informed VW and have any resolutions been put in place? Attached few pics to show the gravity of fogging up.
If anyone has any idea how to inform the company and get it fixed please do get back to me
Attached Thumbnails
My search for an automatic car ends with the Volkswagen Passat Highline 2.0 TDI DSG-20191228_153346.jpg  

My search for an automatic car ends with the Volkswagen Passat Highline 2.0 TDI DSG-20191228_153340.jpg  

Kanboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2019, 12:22   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanboy View Post
Hey pnredkar hope you are enjoying the Passat. I recently found a problem with my car's headlights fogging up. It wasn't there during the rainy season as most people have faced this problem then, but mine have fogged up during the blistering winters we are facing here in the North. Quite unhappy with the developments, so wanted to know if anyone has informed VW and have any resolutions been put in place? Attached few pics to show the gravity of fogging up.
If anyone has any idea how to inform the company and get it fixed please do get back to me
Hope you find a quick solution to your fogging problem. Do post when it is resolved.

I have been enjoying driving my car around the city, though another road trip is overdue. Having said that, my car is currently at service center for replacement of the right ORVM. A tempo carrier hit it during an extreme road congestion last week causing it to twist beyond repair. Fortunately, I have zero-depreciation insurance covering most of the cost.

Couple of weeks ago, I had a situation where the manoeuvre braking feature helped me out. I had parked next the gravel heap. While starting, the wheels spun before suddenly getting some grip and the car lunging ahead. Fortunately, the manoeuvre braking kicked in and stopped the car from hitting another one parked slightly ahead. This technology is not a gimmick, it works!
pnredkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2019, 12:39   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnredkar View Post
Hope you find a quick solution to your fogging problem. Do post when it is resolved.

I have been enjoying driving my car around the city, though another road trip is overdue. Having said that, my car is currently at service center for replacement of the right ORVM. A tempo carrier hit it during an extreme road congestion last week causing it to twist beyond repair. Fortunately, I have zero-depreciation insurance covering most of the cost.

Couple of weeks ago, I had a situation where the manoeuvre braking feature helped me out. I had parked next the gravel heap. While starting, the wheels spun before suddenly getting some grip and the car lunging ahead. Fortunately, the manoeuvre braking kicked in and stopped the car from hitting another one parked slightly ahead. This technology is not a gimmick, it works!
Awesome....I have already written to VW Customer Care and mentioned my problem lets see how they resolve this. My favourite feature is auto braking when reversing the car. I have had instances where I am reversing the vehicle and another vehicle or person has come and stopped at the rear without me noticing it and the car automatically brakes though it scared me in the start but now am use to it...had to fixed one busted fuse for the lighter point and got alot of setting changed from the dealership according to my liking like tyre pressure warning settings and setting auto headlights according to my driving preference as i felt they were focused a lil low and yup had to get my first service done a week and a half back to save my warranty, though I have just driven the car 3700kms...
Like many other even my sunroof is squeaking on uneven road surfaces but then again nothing that should be worrying until it starts leaking water...
Rest incase i do get a resolution will surely let you know.
Happy Driving
Old 22nd February 2021, 10:37   #42
BHPian

Is anybody facing rattling noise from the front suspension over road ruts and cracks ? Seems to be caliper noise because it goes away when I press the brakes even slightly. My car has run 31K kms, seems a bit premature for caliper pins to develop noise. Also, I’ve already got them greased thrice but the noise resurfaces after 2-3days of driving.
Old 27th July 2021, 21:42   #43
BHPian

Fellow Passat owners,

Are you guys also facing rattling noise from your Passat’s front suspension ? I recently got both sets of caliper pins and holders replaced (long battle with VW to get them changed under warranty) but the noise is back (now even more) and it now seems to not just caliper but also/maybe something else. Rattling noise on broken/unpaved/cobbled roads which seems to coming from the centre (or equally from both left and right).

Also, any update on the issue of the sunroof creaking (on uneven roads) ?
Vishesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2021, 23:45   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Fellow Passat owners,

Are you guys also facing rattling noise from your Passat’s front suspension ? I recently got both sets of caliper pins and holders replaced (long battle with VW to get them changed under warranty) but the noise is back (now even more) and it now seems to not just caliper but also/maybe something else. Rattling noise on broken/unpaved/cobbled roads which seems to coming from the centre (or equally from both left and right).

None on my Feb 2019 (16k km run) car
Old 1st August 2021, 01:11   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Fellow Passat owners,

There is none on my car yet though its just been driven almost 9k. But this sounds more to do with the brake plate, rather than the pins of the caliper or the caliper itself, as the thin metal plates if too close to the disc/rotors tend to make such noises when driving on bad roads. Had a similar problem with the jetta and bending the plates a bit backwards helped. So I guess you should get that checked too.

Quote:
Nah it still Creaks I guess its with the car design.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks