Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2020, 08:20   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Driven: Toyota Camry Hybrid

So after researching a little bit and looking at a Nissan Xtrail and a few of used previous-generation Camry's we went ahead and booked a new Accent Sport Hybrid here in Australia.

The car will cost us $34500 on-road.
I had not driven the new one till we took one out for the Test Drive. I was surprised to see how well this one drives and the transition from Hybrid to IC drive is really good.

Just too many features in the new car. Oh, we do have Android Auto and Apple Car Play as standard. Though I would love to have the Mirror link which I think has been discontinued.
Old 23rd February 2020, 09:22   #77

Hi everyone.

Took delivery of the Toyota Camry yesterday.
Driven: Toyota Camry Hybrid-img20200222wa0005_1.jpg
First impressions on driving the car:
  • There is an abundance of space on offer, both in the front and the rear of the car.
  • The car's suspension is well attuned for the Indian road condition, absorbing most bumps very well.
  • In the eco mode the car's response to the throttle is very muted. One must shift to the normal or sport mode to make the car rev.
  • The infotainment system is good but the lack of android auto and apple carplay is a big bummer
  • Driving the car in EV mode is fantastic. The car is dead silent and gives great throttle response. However despite driving over 150 kms, the battery is yet to be charged above 50%.
  • The alloy wheels of the car look boring.
  • The sound insulation is amazing with the car filtering out most outside noises.

Overall my experience with the car so far has been great and I have loved driving it. Will keep you posted on how the experience goes.
sidh10 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 26th February 2020, 14:45   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Stunning looks!

Maybe a silly question but is the Camry's petrol engine already BS-VI? Haven't seen any information on the same.
Old 26th February 2020, 22:14   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Stunning looks!

Maybe a silly question but is the Camry's petrol engine already BS-VI? Haven't seen any information on the same.
Yup. The ones they are selling now (including mine) is BS-VI.
sidh10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2020, 15:05   #80
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
........... The drive, the NVH and the suspension's smooth ride are all as good as a Lexus point for point. There is no difference. .................. Other than the hope of bragging rights (if any) the Lexus does not have anything to offer better than this car. Toyota really will have to up their game to create a differentiation. But being the wretch I am I haven't told my neighbor this honest assessment.
Happy to have taken your advice and opted for the Camry. Took delivery of my 2020 BS6 Camry.

Took my 85 year old Dad for the delivery. He was thrilled to see the car in-person.
Driven: Toyota Camry Hybrid-camry1.jpg

Very Lexus looking in the rear
Driven: Toyota Camry Hybrid-camry2.jpg

Looking forward to a very satisfying ownership

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2020, 15:48   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Happy to have taken your advice and opted for the Camry. Took delivery of my 2020 BS6 Camry.

Took my 85 year old Dad for the delivery. He was thrilled to see the car in-person.

KPS
Heartiest congratulations to you and your family. Beautiful colour with that pearly touch to it. The looks grow on you. Wish you many miles of safe and happy driving. Please post photos of the interiors.
V.Narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 02:03   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations on the new ride! She looks beautiful. Wishing you many miles and happiness with your machine

Did you consider the ES300h? I'm asking as we'd like to know if there're any other factors that helped you decide? Taking into account V. Narayan sir's observations that they are almost 1:1 on the ride, power-train and NVH fronts. I'm strict about buying a comfortable electric/hybrid vehicle that is very reliable.

The Camry is not available for TD here, and there doesn't seem to be any scope for price negotiation. The ES on the other hand has a couple of things going for it: tan/brown interior option which I love, and I feel that the dash design - interiors - switchgear look a little better (subjective). But the Camry gets touchscreen infotainment that the ES doesn't have. The Lexus guy also claims that though the Camry shares the same power-train and other bits, it's built on an older ES platform, while the ES has a new platform ground up (I'm not sure about this, and does not matter much to me). Aside from supposed badge value, I'm not able to justify the price difference between the two considering the ES is locally assembled now.
hortons15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 09:04   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hortons15 View Post
Did you consider the ES300h? I'm asking as we'd like to know if there're any other factors that helped you decide? Taking into account V. Narayan's observations that they are almost 1:1 on the ride, power-train and NVH fronts. I'm strict about buying a comfortable electric/hybrid vehicle that is very reliable.
The NVH and ride are comparable. The ES being a little but noticeably better but not much better. The power train I cannot comment on as I don't have details of the new ES. Reliability and A.S.S, are first class. My car will soon complete 3 years and it averages around 1200 kms a month without a whimper so far.

Quote:
The ES on the other hand has a couple of things going for it: tan/brown interior option which I love, and I feel that the dash design - interiors - switchgear look a little better (subjective).
The ES you will get in various interior combinations of leather colour, wood style etc. The Camry, as it is available now, I believe (but could be wrong) has a more limited range of options. My brother-in-law who bought one says there was no option on interiors. I find that surprising. The ES will give you a choice between matt and glossy finish on the wooden parts. The Camry has faux wood. The Es will give you a carpet on the foot area vs a plastic cover. Just listing what I noticed not saying one is better or worse.

Quote:
Aside from supposed badge value, I'm not able to justify the price difference between the two considering the ES is locally assembled now.
I don't believe so - not yet at least. They however plan to assemble the ES with semi knocked down kits.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 11:56   #84
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hortons15 View Post
Did you consider the ES300h? I'm asking as we'd like to know if there're any other factors that helped you decide?......... Aside from supposed badge value, I'm not able to justify the price difference between the two considering the ES is locally assembled now.
Nandi Toyota (Motor World) is also the Lexus Dealer in Bangalore. I did a TD of both the cars. Lexus is far more luxurious. But considering the engine and chassis is the same, the price difference was too big a mountain to climb. I just could not afford it !

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 05:28   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
I don't believe so - not yet at least. They however plan to assemble the ES with semi knocked down kits.
From my recent ES test drive, I was told that local assembly from CKDs has already begun, and those cars are available for booking. A lower variant (exquisite) has been introduced, which misses out on the Mark Levinson system and tri-beam LED headlights and is 4L cheaper than the Luxury variant, which is now ONLY 3L cheaper than when it was CBU (both ex-showroom prices).

Quote:
Nandi Toyota (Motor World) is also the Lexus Dealer in Bangalore. I did a TD of both the cars. Lexus is far more luxurious. But considering the engine and chassis is the same, the price difference was too big a mountain to climb. I just could not afford it !

Cheers

KPS
Thanks for your inputs. I'm in the same boat as you. I hope we're able to decide soon. Cheers!

Last edited by ajmat : 6th March 2020 at 09:20.
hortons15 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 10:52   #86
BHPian

Quote:

Cheers

KPS
I too drive the new Camry, have owned it for a year now. Have abot 15000 kms on it and delivers a consistent 17kmpl in Bangalore city traffic. This is my second Camry Hybrid.
I test drove the ES , since we already have Lexus nx300h which my wife uses did not buy the ES.
Attached Thumbnails
Driven: Toyota Camry Hybrid-thumbnail.jpg  

Last edited by s.prashanth : 9th March 2020 at 11:08. Reason: add picture
s.prashanth is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 10:45   #87
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

I am really enjoying the car. It is a pleasure to drive and powerful too.

Some updates

There is a digital RPM indicator on the Heads Up Display. Normally, when the petrol engine is heating up or charging the battery, it ranges around 1000 rpm and based on driving demand the RPM increases.
Driven: Toyota Camry Hybrid-1.jpg

Between the EV & IC combo, the Hybrid is delivering more than 14+kmpl in the city conditions. Superb mileage for such a big car!
Driven: Toyota Camry Hybrid-2.jpg

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th March 2020, 22:40   #88
Team-BHP Support

Driven: Toyota Camry Hybrid-photo20200301095954.jpg

Friend of mine's immaculate Superb snapped its timing belt. He wanted a sofa for town use. I suggested a Camry. Dealer suggested this 2018 car done 55 kms. Think it was a validation model. Offered at 39L on road, chiselled another lakh off.

Translates to 25% off compared to a 2020 model.

A steal even if the odd niggle happens!
ajmat is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 29th March 2020, 23:24   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Smashing! Don't think I've seen this colour ever. Good deal I feel considering Toyota dealers merely smile whenever anyone asks about discounts.
Old 30th March 2020, 10:06   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Attachment 1985830

Friend of mine's immaculate Superb snapped its timing belt. He wanted a sofa for town use. I suggested a Camry. Dealer suggested this 2018 car done 55 kms. Think it was a validation model. Offered at 39L on road, chiselled another lakh off.

Translates to 25% off compared to a 2020 model.

A steal even if the odd niggle happens!
Beautiful colour. Excellent choice of car. Congratulations on the price. Happy miles.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks