Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2019, 17:59   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Driven: Toyota Camry Hybrid

A neighbor, in the same apartment tower, purchased this Camry Hybrid. So I naturally badgered him for a good look and drive around the apartment complex. First in real life the frontal does not look as weird as it does in photos. This is not to say it looks handsome but just less whacky. The drive, the NVH and the suspension's smooth ride are all as good as a Lexus point for point. There is no difference. The interiors are equally good except for the wood work in which area Lexus is a master. But everything else - leather, finish, metal work, plastics all top notch. Not as glitzy as a Merc E but very good nevertheless. Other than the hope of bragging rights (if any) the Lexus does not have anything to offer better than this car. Toyota really will have to up their game to create a differentiation. But being the wretch I am I haven't told my neighbor this honest assessment.
V.Narayan is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 18:39   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
A neighbor, in the same apartment tower, purchased this Camry Hybrid. So I naturally badgered him for a good look and drive around the apartment complex. First in real life the frontal does not look as weird as it does in photos. This is not to say it looks handsome but just less whacky. The drive, the NVH and the suspension's smooth ride are all as good as a Lexus point for point. There is no difference. The interiors are equally good except for the wood work in which area Lexus is a master. But everything else - leather, finish, metal work, plastics all top notch. Not as glitzy as a Merc E but very good nevertheless. Other than the hope of bragging rights (if any) the Lexus does not have anything to offer better than this car. Toyota really will have to up their game to create a differentiation. But being the wretch I am I haven't told my neighbor this honest assessment.
You have to check the new 2019 Camry XSE, it actually looks wicked. I particularly loved those gills at the rear bumper.To me this is the best looking camry ever. The current generation Camry and Accord have killed almost all the other sedan in the US.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 18:46   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
You have to check the new 2019 Camry XSE, it actually looks wicked. I particularly loved those gills at the rear bumper.To me this is the best looking camry ever. The current generation Camry and Accord have killed almost all the other sedan in the US.
In IN, it looks like a fish out of water except for the nice rear end. Mr. Narayan has captured the interior quality aspects very well though.

Lexus has a tough time ahead convincing it's clients why they should shell out so much n more for the badge.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2019, 17:18   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

We just got a Camry as our office pool car replacing our Previous Gen Superb Facelift.

A friend has the previous gen Camry - and I must say I am pleasantly surprised by how much better this car is. It looks good from outside, and the fit and finish is fantastic.

But it’s the interior quality that astounded me - to my mind, the interiors are as good as any luxury sedan. Rear knee room is low compared to the Superb, but width is more - and hence the car is more practical when we have 3 folks in the rear (which happens quite often as we use this car for meetings). I really liked the touch screen controls for AC, rear blinds, and rear seats housed in the centre armrest.

While I have not driven this car (and never will - it is on lease from a rental co), it is super quiet - and our driver says it is not too much of a downgrade on power compared to the Superb. He has only two cribs so far - it is lower slung than the Superb, and he has to navigate speed-breakers and potholes carefully, and the boot space is materially below the Superb, which could be a problem on airport runs.

Why did we pick the Camry over the Superb? Because our rental car provider was tired of the cost of providing back up cars when the Superb failed - and gave us the Camry at a lower cost than what they wanted for a new Superb, even though its initial price is so much higher.

Will need to wait for the next monsoon to see if the low slung nature creates problems in navigating Bombay roads. But at least initial impressions are very positive - and puts this in my consideration set for my next car.
Hayek is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st December 2019, 09:49   #65
Senior - BHPian

Folks, my city is (way over) due for a refresh but we absolutely love it and it still runs around like a charm! However, its been 12 yrs now and I have noticed it has run only 2300 kms in the last 12 months as the Duster takes pole position.

Was wondering if I were to buy a used 2015 Camry (petrol, not hybrid). It wont run more than 1000 kms per month for sure, so I am perfectly OK with petrol only. Came across a couple certified ones from Toyota:
https://www.toyotautrust.in/used-car...ta-camry/58646
https://www.toyotautrust.in/used-car...ta-camry/59339
Possibly I can bargain on the price (will swap the city as well). We will keep the Duster longer, so it will continue to be the mile cruncher! Thoughts pls!

Last edited by Equus : 1st December 2019 at 09:51.
Old 1st December 2019, 12:13   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
Was wondering if I were to buy a used 2015 Camry (petrol, not hybrid). It wont run more than 1000 kms per month for sure, so I am perfectly OK with petrol only. Came across a couple certified ones from Toyota:
Possibly I can bargain on the price (will swap the city as well). We will keep the Duster longer, so it will continue to be the mile cruncher! Thoughts pls!
Toyota Camry's middle name is 'Utter Reliability'. My office Camry is doing yeoman service 13+ years on and wont need any replacing. It is used as the office hack for ferrying visitors. Go for it after doing the T-BHP check list run.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 20:58   #67
BHPian

My son is planning to buy a new car next year and the new Camry appeals a lot to me for sheer reliability and peace of mind it provides. In India I have a Altis Petrol Automatic and it has given me trouble free service for the last 10 years. In India Toyota is charging too much for this @37,50,000 whereas in Dubai the same model is costing only Dh 1,33,500 which is about 26,70,000. As it is now being locally assembled so Toyota should reduce the price and it will get more sales. Also it should put more features in the car. Dont know how the features compare with the Indian model. Dubai has one more hybrid model which is basic and is aimed at taxi segment plus 3 non hybrid models
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2020_camry_2.5l_hybrid_limited_nov_05_19_web.pdf (109.8 KB, 304 views)
akj53 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 23:15   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj53 View Post
My son is planning to buy a new car next year and the new Camry appeals a lot to me for sheer reliability and peace of mind it provides. In India I have a Altis Petrol Automatic and it has given me trouble free service for the last 10 years. In India Toyota is charging too much for this @37,50,000 whereas in Dubai the same model is costing only Dh 1,33,500 which is about 26,70,000. As it is now being locally assembled so Toyota should reduce the price and it will get more sales. Also it should put more features in the car. Dont know how the features compare with the Indian model. Dubai has one more hybrid model which is basic and is aimed at taxi segment plus 3 non hybrid models

The tax structures in Dubai and India are very different and cant be compared. Good news is that these high end prices have top of the line safety kit and very decent mix of features. If I had the money to buy a new Camry, I wouldnt think twice. I was hoping they will reduce the prices since they started assembly but Toyota is known to be lot more margin hungry.
Old 19th December 2019, 18:58   #69
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Just test drove this Camry, again. For my parents (both in 60s), it makes utmost sense and my mother especially is sold on the car even before sitting in it
Sad part is the absurd price Toyota wants to charge and the dealer's mark-up is icing on the cake. Makes me incredibly frustrated.

So as of today, the on-road cost of Camry in Mumbai is Rs 47,00,121/- and there are supposedly no discounts on the vehicle.
1) Registration cost - Rs 4,99,800.00
2) Auxiliary charges - Rs 16,448.00 (no proper justification for this charge)
3) Luxury Insurance cover (3+3) - Rs 2,95,940.00 (New insurance trick for scamming I suppose?)
4) Depot Charges - Rs 17,875.00 (Again, questionable)
5) TCS @ 1% - Rs 37,500.00
6) Extended Warranty - Rs 38,334.00
7) Toyota Genuine Accessories - Rs 43,725.00

On the face of it, the above charges are non-negotiable it seems. This kind of robbery is what puts me off from buying the car! And there aren't many sparingly used cars available in Bombay!
RJK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th December 2019, 22:59   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

A close relative purchased this car or rather her company gave it to her as a perquisite. So I naturally landed up to check out the new toy. First the car's frontal looks much better in real life than it does in the photos. That's a redeeming feature. Second it drives better than the older Camry's and as well as a Lexus ES300h in every department. The interior looks at least at first glance seem to give the earlier generation Lexus some stiff competition. The interiors are a jump ahead of the previous Camry's interiors in glitz and modernity. Good job.
V.Narayan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2020, 16:49   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK View Post
Just test drove this Camry, again. For my parents (both in 60s), it makes utmost sense and my mother especially is sold on the car even before sitting in it
Sad part is the absurd price Toyota wants to charge and the dealer's mark-up is icing on the cake. Makes me incredibly frustrated.

So as of today, the on-road cost of Camry in Mumbai is Rs 47,00,121/- and there are supposedly no discounts on the vehicle.
1) Registration cost - Rs 4,99,800.00
2) Auxiliary charges - Rs 16,448.00 (no proper justification for this charge)
3) Luxury Insurance cover (3+3) - Rs 2,95,940.00 (New insurance trick for scamming I suppose?)
4) Depot Charges - Rs 17,875.00 (Again, questionable)
5) TCS @ 1% - Rs 37,500.00
6) Extended Warranty - Rs 38,334.00
7) Toyota Genuine Accessories - Rs 43,725.00

On the face of it, the above charges are non-negotiable it seems. This kind of robbery is what puts me off from buying the car! And there aren't many sparingly used cars available in Bombay!

Please send these charges to Toyota and complain to them. Hopefully they will knock some sense in the dealer's head. You can check the registration charges from the local RTO office yourself. Take Toyota Zero Dep insurance after checking the charges from Toyota
Old 2nd February 2020, 21:22   #72

Hi friends, finally decided to retire my 2007 Skoda Laura L&K and is replacing it with Toyota Camry Hybrid (Graphite Metallic). Booked the car in the last week of Oct 2019. The car has arrived at my dealer's workshop, will be delivered next week after registration formalities. Will keep you posted once the car is delivered.
Old 4th February 2020, 11:41   #73
BHPian

Congratulations on your new car. Do share pictures and initial thoughts after delivery.
Sreesh1009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2020, 22:57   #74
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshirekar View Post
Hi friends, finally decided to retire my 2007 Skoda Laura L&K and is replacing it with Toyota Camry Hybrid (Graphite Metallic). Booked the car in the last week of Oct 2019. The car has arrived at my dealer's workshop, will be delivered next week after registration formalities. Will keep you posted once the car is delivered.
Congrats!!
Pls also post price & break-up of the costs involved of your Camry. Btw which dealer did you take it from in Mumbai?

Cheers
RJK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2020, 09:41   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshirekar View Post
Congratulations. You will never regret this buy, in my opinion. We have an office Camry, I think 2006 model, that is still running flawlessly. It is used for ferrying office folks & customers around and runs a lot. I don't know the milegae but it crossed 100,000 kms several years ago. Camry's are like a Swiss watch. With Delhi's 15-year rule we'll have no choice but to sell it even though it could easily run on till its 20th birthday doing a full day's duty.
V.Narayan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed