Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2020, 08:42   #46
NTO
BHPian

Re: My pre-worshipped Honda Civic Automatic – A dream comes true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashish View Post
Instead of getting the suspension overhaul done at the ASS, you could also consider getting the same done at any competent FNG using TRW parts for half the cost. Attaching a sheet I had compiled last year for your reference indicating the cost of some spares.

Attachment 1988730
This attachment is jewel. I will definitely go this route. Not only because I save 50% on cost but, TRWs are more performance oriented and can improve overall handling and also TRWs can be sourced easier than original Honda parts. Basically the wait to get things changed will be shorter at 50% cost and apparently the car will turn out to be more engaging to drive.

Could you also share the TRW part numbers for the parts mentioned in the attachment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spd_tkt View Post
This is just perfect. I was planning to sell my almost brand new Swift and buy something a little more exciting where I can have more fun without an emi.
So basically it looks good, is more engaging to drive and yet cheaper to buy and maintain (?)
And btw, one of the other cars I considered was the Fiesta S which is also now in the home page!
A new car is always a new car. If you already have it, think twice about selling your Swift.

Yes, you've summed up Civic vs GT TSi very well. Also, the feeling of not having an emi and added to the fact that you can spend all the EMI money on Fuel and mods is definitely great.

Getting a clean civic is much easier compared to getting a clean 1.6 S. Also, an enthusiast having a 1.6S, maintained very well, will not be wiling to part ways with that machine.
NTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 11:06   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTO View Post
4. Well mannered at highway speeds. No bouncy rear end and never felt nervous.
Seriously suggest get hold a set of Tein super street and see what it is capable of. The auto-box might be a downer though. You can watch out on OLX. I managed to get a set for bloody good price and man it handles like God. I like the idea of getting a decent car and bringing that up to factory specs. Although our near Honda dealer used to sell parts off counter, they have stopped that recently. Thanks to Boodmo. They have been delivering my parts and quite happy. Look at your window weather strip and replace if needed. else leaves and debris fall inside the doors and will rust inside out. They cost about 750 a piece. Compare with cost of 02 Honda city which costs 2000 per door.
kutlee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 19:00   #48
BHPian

Wow, wonderfully maintained car! You do have quite a garage setup there, I see: marvellous.

When I am able to afford my first car, I would definitely be looking at a used Civic MT anyday.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 13:07   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
Can you please tell, when exactly the face lifted model came, so that I can only search Civics post that.
Thanks
I bought my Civic MT on 30th March 2009, coz from 1st April onwards a price hike of 50K had been announced on the company website for the MT model & more for the AT. The new face lifted model was scheduled to be made available from April 2009. But the old model continued for a few more months and the actual facelift model made it to the road only around July/August 2009. Hope this helps. Cheers !
Timothy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2020, 18:01   #50
BHPian

I have recently started noticing a thumping / clanking sound on my civic. I thought it may be the suspension, but during the 1.1K servicing at Ace Honda in Noida last month, they informed that the Gearbox & the sub-frame mountings are broken. I believe for changing the Sub-Frame mounting, the chassis has to be lowered.
Has anyone got this done and is it a very complicated job ? I am more concerned about the lowering of the chassis, so if someone can entail what all is involved in that, it would be v. helpful. Also if folks can recommend the brand of mounting to buy and a reliable motor parts store in Delhi NCR. Look forward to your views and assistance. Thanks
Old 8th April 2020, 18:20   #51
BHPian

Quote:
GT TSi and the Civic having identical torque outputs, you should be the best person to comment on the NA versus Turbo thread. Link to the thread (Naturally-aspirated vs turbo-charged petrol engine! What's your pick?)
I have the Honda Civic which I have been driving for the last 10 years, however in Jan. this year I also bought the Skoda Octavia 1.8TSI L&K ( BTW, I have kept both the cars). In my ownership of the Civic, I have always felt the car to be underpowered, especially with the a/c on. Without the a/c it is great, but the moment you switch it on the power leaves much to be desired. If I compare it to the 1.8 litre TSI engine on the Octavia.... honestly there is NO comparison ! I cannot even begin to describe how much I enjoy the performance of the TSI engine.

So if there is a possibility of getting a car with TSI engine, just go for it ! It will put a smile on your face every time you get behind the wheel.
Timothy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2020, 18:36   #52
NTO
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
If I compare it to the 1.8 litre TSI engine on the Octavia.... honestly there is NO comparison ! I cannot even begin to describe how much I enjoy the performance of the TSI engine.
As you rightly said, there is no comparison there. I just mentioned that the 1.2 TSi of the GT TSi and the 1.8 NA of the Civic have comparable torque outputs. So, these two can be compared with the weights of the car being similar almost.
NTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2020, 01:03   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Could you also share the TRW part numbers for the parts mentioned in the attachment?
Apologies for the delayed response. Here is the updated sheet with the respective part numbers.

[ATTACH=Honda Civic Spare Parts(with part no.s).xlsx]1994189[/ATTACH]
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Honda Civic Spare Parts(with part no.s).xlsx (10.5 KB, 348 views)
Kashish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 01:45   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashish View Post
Apologies for the delayed response. Here is the updated sheet with the respective part numbers.

[ATTACH=Honda Civic Spare Parts(with part no.s).xlsx]1994189[/ATTACH]
Thanks a lot Kashish. This really helps.
SatyRoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 06:37   #55
NTO
BHPian

Update - 67000 km (17000 in my ownership)

Since the start of the lockdown, I have not been driving the Civic much. I have been using the Vento and my dad has been using the Civic. His runs were mostly limited to 2 - 4 km round trip to my grand parent's place and ferrying my mom for some dental treatment. It doesn't make sense to use a diesel car for such short distance commute and hence Civic made more sense. Also, being automatic, it was easier for him to drive around.

It was a long time since I drove the Civic and planned to take it for a spin when my wife wanted to visit her parents. Within a few kilometers into the drive, I started to hear a distinct whine from the car. I thought it was from the transmission and assumed that it would go away in some time. As time progressed, the whine became distinct and louder. Something was wrong and needed to get checked immediately.

Next day morning, I had to take my mom to a regular health check-up and this sound was still persistent. While, I was waiting, I started to observe the noise. It came in when the power steering was moved. So the problem was narrowed down to the power steering. I called my service advisor at Capital Honda and asked for a check-up (or service if needed) and the car was promptly picked up the next day. This was the diagnosis and recommendation:

1. Oil and filter are in good condition, no need to change immediately.
2. All fluids topped up.
3. Power steering pump at the end of its life (42K approx)
4. Oil leak in Power steering rack (56K approx)
5. Suspension and its components might need a replacement in the another 5 - 10K km.
6. Disc rotors and pads need replacement. The pads can work for another 2 - 3K kms. So, the replacement of the rotor can be done along with the pads.

I was told that, the leak in power steering systems is very minimal and doesn't need immediate attention. The power steering sound was fixed with oil top up. I was also told that, I might hear the sound again if I went for a long drive and I was asked to top up the power steering oil and carry on with the drive.

I said okay and the car was sent back with a bill of Rs. 3179 for the checkup plus one litre of power steering oil in the boot. I couldn't receive the car when the car came back due to a couple of meetings and requested my brother to check the car and park it. He said that the noise seems to be worse than before however, the driver was unaware of anything and the standard reply was to contact the service advisor, fair enough. I did not want to call my service advisor immediately. So, the next day, I took a break from work and hit the nearby bypass road to check how the civic behaved.

As soon as I started the car and few kilometers into the drive, the car was butter smooth. I gave it a little beans and while hitting the brakes at around 90 kmph, there was severe shake in the steering. Also, the whine from the front appeared again. Came back home, parked the car and upon inspection, the sound outside the car was even louder. It sounded like one of those dry flour (rice, wheat etc.) grinding shops.

I called my service advisor and apprised him about the issue and sent this video. I also informed him about the steering shake while braking at speeds.

He acknowledged the problem and came back to me in some time. He said that, we can replace the rotors and pads (Rs. 36000) for a set of 4, and ~1 lac for the power steering problem fix. He also said that, I could drive the car this way and do the replacement when I am ready. The end result is, I was looking at a repair bill of Rs. 1.5 lacs.

Thinking about tackling this sudden unexpected expense a day passed. I thought of visiting the youtube university. As soon as I typed Civic power steering noise, there were numerous videos which were of immense help. One such very helpful video was this:

This is apparently the problem. We all have water pumps at home. When there is an air block, the pump will not lift water. Similarly, the faulty o-ring in the inlet hose lets some air to get into the system and the power steering fluid will not be entering the pump. So, the pump with run dry creating the grinding noise.

With a sigh of relief, I call our trusted Jai Prakash. With a great experience in the past with Capital Honda, I thought I would stick to them forever. Now, they are either trying to pull a daylight robbery or this is their skill level to diagnose the problem or this is probably the Honda's recommended solution. I am giving them the benefit of doubt and moving on.

Jaiprakash asked me to bring in the car to his garage. Saw a group of Fiat fanboys, apparently checking their cars before a road trip. There were two impeccably maintained Grande Punto 90HPs and a Linea multijet FL. Not sharing pictures of their cars upon their request. Once their work was complete, Jai Prakash attended to my car. It was put on the lift and the internals were inspected for the power steering problem.

Inspection going on
My pre-worshipped Honda Civic Automatic – A dream comes true-photo20201107125531.jpg

He said that the rack and pump seem to be fine and there must be a problem in one of the hoses/ lines. He asked me to leave the car and go. While at it, I also requested him to check the suspension condition and disc and pads. Jai Prakash said that the suspension and its components are very good and we can face the disc and replace the pads. This will do the job. Agreeing to it I was dropped back home while the civic also went for a road test.

Work got completed and I picked up the car yesterday. These were the work done:

1. All 4 discs faced and fitted again.
2. 4 brake pads changed. Honda OE pads.
3. As shown in the youtube video, a faulty o-ring was replaced in the inlet hose to the pump.

Total expense was Rs. 9500 and the car is now back and running like hot knife through butter! Steering shake while braking at speeds also is gone. So, Jaiprakash is the official mechanic for all the cars in my house now. No more OEM garages.

Closing the post with a picture from Ayudha Puja 2020.
My pre-worshipped Honda Civic Automatic – A dream comes true-img_0433.jpg

Last edited by NTO : 9th November 2020 at 06:46.
NTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 07:05   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Total expense was Rs. 9500 and the car is now back and running like hot knife through butter! Steering shake while braking at speeds also is gone.
And THIS is why it’s important to have access to an honest mechanic, once the car is out of warranty.

Well done, and stick to diagnosing the problem correctly, before you start replacing parts & throwing money away.

It’s a Honda after all. With minimal maintenance, the car will continue to run, and run, and run, and run, till you get sick of it.
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 07:19   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
[b]
1. All 4 discs faced and fitted again.
2. 4 brake pads changed. Honda OE pads.
3. As shown in the Youtube video, a faulty o-ring was replaced in the inlet hose to the pump.
Good you took a second opinion. These are the exact solutions to these problems. The thing with Honda is they (and every other authorized service center) believes in replacement and not repair of parts. Hence they will ask to replace the pump/rotors etc. Also before jumping the gun with Honda I am sure you are aware we have a bible (Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos) thread for the Civic. Do refer to it as it has info on the common problems related to the Civic.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 14:16   #58
NTO
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoosetoCruze View Post
And THIS is why it’s important to have access to an honest mechanic, once the car is out of warranty.
It’s a Honda after all. With minimal maintenance, the car will continue to run, and run, and run, and run, till you get sick of it.
Very true. I was with Capital Honda because of past good experiences. Now, it does not matter what happens, I am not going back. Thorough research will help you save a lot of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Good you took a second opinion. These are the exact solutions to these problems. The thing with Honda is they (and every other authorized service center) believes in replacement and not repair of parts. Also before jumping the gun with Honda I am sure you are aware we have a bible (Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos) thread for the Civic. Do refer to it as it has info on the common problems related to the Civic.
I tried referring to t but, got lost mid way. Will do it and also keep updating the thread with my experiences thank you. With respect to changing parts by OEM, I remember taking my friend's fortuner for service at Toyota in Gurgaon. They actually faced the disc and reused instead of replacing, true to their philosophy of why fix something that aint broke?. May be a reason their lowest cost of running!
NTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 14:39   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Good you took a second opinion. These are the exact solutions to these problems. The thing with Honda is they (and every other authorized service center) believes in replacement and not repair of parts. Hence they will ask to replace the pump/rotors etc. Also before jumping the gun with Honda I am sure you are aware we have a bible (Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos) thread for the Civic. Do refer to it as it has info on the common problems related to the Civic.
@Sumeet, didnt want to hijack NTO's thread but I remember the digital speedometer in your car staying on after you switched it off. The same has happened to my car now. Was it because of the rain and dampness? And yes my battery is drained because of that. How was the issue resolved?
Dippy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 15:13   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
@Sumeet, didnt want to hijack NTO's thread but I remember the digital speedometer in your car staying on after you switched it off. The same has happened to my car now. Was it because of the rain and dampness? And yes my battery is drained because of that. How was the issue resolved?
It used to happen due to the rain/dampness. What was done in my case was to disconnect the car battery for 3-5 minutes and then reconnect and it would go back to normal. The issue would repeat during heavy rains. By disconnect mean I would disconnect one of the terminals, hang around for 3-5 mins and reconnect it back. Post this the display will start to behave itself.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 9th November 2020 at 15:14.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks