Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2007, 17:54   #16
BHPian

Hi Venkatesh,
How was the cabin noise compared to that of tata indica/indico turbo diesel? Do you have any idea?
Old 30th January 2007, 18:23   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatesh_t3 View Post

i think the extra premium for the engine is answered

on road price in chennai is appox 5.45(VDI)
5.45 is quite a premium for a hatchback.
Old 30th January 2007, 18:34   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazikon View Post
Only a little grunt?? at what RPM can you feel the torque?? what does refined mean??
i meant the engine had little noise, if u had been inverna, then same level of noise

Quote:
common, my 9 year old RX can pull three people to a 100 kmph!!!
if u had driven any other diesel car in this segment may be u could understand what i meant

Quote:
Aha.. did you know that the swift diesel came with a intercooler +turbo and it takes time(turbo lag) for the turbo to spool up to a certain RPM..but it would have helped us if info about what RPM the car zooms off?
i dint know it was intercooler+turbo, i was not able to note down the RPM since it was short drive, since lot many where waiting for the car

as usual what??

swift petrol

Quote:
you mean its worth to pay premium for this engine??
i feel so, for diesel lovers yes.
Old 30th January 2007, 18:45   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnaprasad View Post
Hi Venkatesh,
How was the cabin noise compared to that of tata indica/indico turbo diesel? Do you have any idea?

definitely less than indica
Old 30th January 2007, 18:49   #20
F50
Senior - BHPian

Threads Merged .
Old 31st January 2007, 04:34   #21
BHPian

I dint get a test drive as the only vehicle they had was on display. However i started the engine and the only sound i could hear was a grunt even when the bonnet was opened up.

I blocked an Azure Grey yesterday and will pay for it today. I was informed that the car i blocked has already left for Trivandrum and i would receive it within a week before any price change comes in. I tried to fit in all Zxi addons possible to my Vdi but to my surprise the only ones they could provide were.

1. Dashboard clock
2. Rear Parcel shelf
3. Body and Bumper Moulding

They declined my requests for the following saying that it had to be factory fitted.

1. Driver seat height adjuster
2. Rear window wiper and demister
3. Automatic climate control
4. Electromagnetic tailgate opener
5. Keyless entry (security) on all 5 doors

Unlike Zxi which has 5 door central locking the Vdi has a 4 door central locking. I asked them to connect the rear door also to the central locking system so that the security system could protect it too. But to my surprise i was informed that it couldnt be done and that the Keyless entry fitting for Vdi applied to only the 4 side doors unless its factry fitted like the Zxi.

I then asked for the optional ABS and i was told that in that case i was to wait for a factory fitted one to come in which would delay the delivery considerably as they dont do ABS installation at the service center. So i had to go for the non ABS version as the prices are expected to be increased from the first week of February.

Altogether i was extremely dissapointed with the available extra fittings. It looks like maruthi has forced all diesel lovers to not use these features even though they are willing to pay for it.
Old 31st January 2007, 04:51   #22
BHPian

Forgot to include the pics i took with my phone.

The Vdi in new Iridium Gold color

The Vdi from behind

An Zxi
Old 31st January 2007, 08:04   #23
Team-BHP Support

ISnt this the Indus showroom...

THere was another VDi on display... a silky silver, which was bought by a frend of mine...
Old 31st January 2007, 11:37   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazikon View Post
Aha.. did you know that the swift diesel came with a intercooler +turbo and it takes time(turbo lag) for the turbo to spool up to a certain RPM..but it would have helped us if info about what RPM the car zooms
Car zooms off at 2k rpm and you will feel turbo lag between 1200-1700 rpm..
Old 31st January 2007, 14:14   #25
BHPian

Swift 1.3 DDSi Test Drive Experience

Hi Guys,

I had a chance to drive the Swift DDSi. Its too impressive, my takeaways

- The engine is too quiet, you wouldnt realise that there is a diesel motor under hood unless someone reminds you of that. Its infact smoother than few other petrols that I know. That too after warmup its too sweet and soft.

- Free reving, I raised it while in idling upto 5000 rpm, the engine dint make a fuss about it. I can vouch that its way silent than the Verna I test drove a month back. Basically Verna gets noisier as the RPM increases

- Starting/Stopping vibration is almost non existent. Diesel enthus might be able to notice the Di grunt sound on hard acceleration until the engine catches upto the RPM. But vibration at any instance is non existant.

- Turbo lag exists, so you need to play around with the gears to hold your position in the race.

- The dealer said mileage would be 20+ (overall) in Bangalore conditions, I think the claim sounds reasonable. The engine is smaller and more advanced than the Ford TDCI, many of my friends who own TDCI say they get around 17+ overall, I think being 250cc less and having the next generation multijet technology underhood, it should provide 20 overall easily. They dealer claimed 25+ in highway.

- Clutch is little hard, but I currently drive a heavier diesel so I dint find much difference. But the gear shift was not very soft may be the vehicle is new.

Vishnu
Old 31st January 2007, 21:24   #26

Driven:Swift Diesel

Hey ppl,
I test drove the swift diesel today, a light green colored one. When i started the car i could make out its a diesel but a highly refined and quiet engine. I would say its like the verna in terms of noise. When revved to around 3500-4000 rpm the car makes sure u know its a diesel engine.

Anyway now i started moving, i took the car to an empty road and i tried it out well. the salesguy kept holding his door armrest and the dashboard many times. The car is very smooth and the pick up is great in the first and second gear, something i was disappointed by in its petrol sibling. i touched around 90 in second gear in no time. There is a turbo lag until 1700-1800 rpm but after that the car simply pushes your back to the seat and rockets forward without feeling strained at any time.

Reaching three digit speeds is not gonna be a task at all. Seems like Maruti has got just the right engine for this car . A/c is pretty decent too like in the other Swifts. It comes with body colored door handles and mirrors, which is good. Seat fabric is slightly changed, however not of much importance. The 60:40 split rear seat has yet to be mastered by Maruti for the swift. However my main qualm was with the brakes. I was driving the non-ABS version and with such pick up i was above 80-90 almost all the time, i tried slamming the brakes to test the panic situations that may arise for drivers, but to my disappointment, the car tends to fish tail a lot. When asked the salesguy just said go in for the ABS version- hell, i got that!!

Currently the ABS versions cannot even be booked because according to the guys at maruti, the ABS swifts will take a whole load of time. Already the deliveries are starting after 2-2.5 months..i wonder how long it will take for the ABS car to come out. So i suggest that going in for thicker tyres is essential as that will improve the road grip to a substantial amount.

Finally, i would say it is a great car to drive around. great looks, great engine, great mileage, price is not that much considering what it would have been if the excise cuts werent there!! Hyundai Getz crdi is gonna be out soon, but i doubt its price is gonna be as mouth-watering! Moreover I was reading in an Autocar issue sometime back that the getz is going to have to accent crdi motor(not verna crdi) which i think is pretty damn noisy. Although quick that engine does not feel anywhere as refined as the swift. Maruti's Swift just got much better! Cant help myself from buying one of these bad boys!!
Old 31st January 2007, 22:47   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatesh_t3 View Post
definitely less than indica
Test drove the vehicle today, there is no much difference. NVH of Indica and Swift go hands in hands.

Palio D feels better
Old 1st February 2007, 03:57   #28
BHPian

On my way to office i saw a truck load of Swift diesel's coming in. Hope mine is also in there.

Old 1st February 2007, 04:03   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanbajaj View Post
Driven:Swift Diesel
However my main qualm was with the brakes. I was driving the non-ABS version and with such pick up i was above 80-90 almost all the time, i tried slamming the brakes to test the panic situations that may arise for drivers, but to my disappointment, the car tends to fish tail a lot. When asked the salesguy just said go in for the ABS version- hell, i got that!!

Currently the ABS versions cannot even be booked because according to the guys at maruti, the ABS swifts will take a whole load of time. Already the deliveries are starting after 2-2.5 months..i wonder how long it will take for the ABS car to come out. So i suggest that going in for thicker tyres is essential as that will improve the road grip to a substantial amount.
Now you have me in a confusion. I already booked the Non ABS version due to the same reason. I never got a test drive and hence never knew the quality of the braking system.
Old 1st February 2007, 09:48   #30
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
On my way to office i saw a truck load of Swift diesel's coming in. Hope mine is also in there.
Boy, you are excited about your Swift arent you? We all know the feeling....congrats. Its a superb machine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks