Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2020, 19:13   #31
BANNED

Re: Blue Baby comes home - Ford EcoSport Facelift Titanium TDCi

I am in dilemma now. Booked GT TSI to replace wife's Santro 2009 model. But she changed her mind to Ecosports. Her driving is mostly city drive around 30-40 km in Bengaluru traffic. Jithin's review says Hard clutch :(
Old 13th January 2020, 16:01   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnaik View Post
I am in dilemma now. Booked GT TSI to replace wife's Santro 2009 model. But she changed her mind to Ecosports. Her driving is mostly city drive around 30-40 km in Bengaluru traffic. Jithin's review says Hard clutch :(
Let her test drive and feel that herself. To me its normal. Friends used to driving Hyundai find it hard. Its all about perspective. So its always better to experience everything in real life rather than making decision based on other people's review.
Samfromindia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2020, 16:07   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jithin23 View Post
For city slickers, TDCi MT isn't meant for you folks(though it's your choice at the end) because pressing the clutch will make you exhausted in city traffic.
The hard clutch is one of the main reasons why I changed my mind and cancelled at the last minute even after having booked a TDCI Ecosport, around this time last year. Liked the car otherwise (in fact, I had booked mine in the same variant and colour as yours!), but the hard clutch and stiff suspension were deal breakers for me, since 90% of my driving is in the city. Wasnt a very comfortable drive in Bangalore traffic. Im sure its a great drive on a highway though.

Quote:
But she changed her mind to Ecosports. Her driving is mostly city drive around 30-40 km in Bengaluru traffic. Jithin's review says Hard clutch :(
Not a good idea to get the TDCI for the missus. The GT TSI will be a better option (though the reliability of the DSG is suspect). Better still, get the automatic Dragon petrol variant for the Ecosport. Definitely not the diesel manual - it is relatively heavy vehicle to drive, especially as a city slicker. Unless she is used to and comfortable with heavier diesel clutches and operating them in bumper to bumper traffic.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 13th January 2020 at 16:09.
arindambasu13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2020, 17:27   #34
BHPian

As Samrat has mentioned, let she take a test drive or if you can hire a zoomcar or drivezy EcoSport for a day or two to get a clear idea. The rental cars are TDCi only so you can understand better. For AT the city mileage will be 7-8 keeping in mind Bangalore traffic conditions. Highways AT will give you 12-13.
jithin23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2020, 21:29   #35
BANNED

Quote:
Show her the replies here, you would definitely be getting a reply which goes “why should boys have all the fun?”
pavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2020, 08:55   #36
BANNED

Trying to get TD again since yesterday. No response from JSP ford. I want to close this before price rise for BSVI engine. Thanks every one for valuable inputs.
Old 19th January 2020, 23:03   #37
BHPian

@jithin, can we get the clutch loosened up a bit, during the servicing? Perhaps clutch bleed or something as such? Thanks.
Old 20th January 2020, 09:32   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spr1ngleo View Post
@jithin, can we get the clutch loosened up a bit, during the servicing? Perhaps clutch bleed or something as such? Thanks.
Yes, clutch bleeding does help in making the clutch usage easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
The Liked the car otherwise (in fact, I had booked mine in the same variant and colour as yours!), but the hard clutch and stiff suspension were deal breakers for me, since 90% of my driving is in the city. Wasnt a very comfortable drive in Bangalore traffic. Im sure its a great drive on a highway though.
Good to know that you had almost gone for the EcoSport, and as you said for city usage, the clutch of the TDCi makes driving difficult in peak Bangalore traffic though once you get used to it you'll know the knack to articulate the clutch. On the highways, the TDCi is in a different league though. I bought the diesel because 90% of my usage would be for road trips and highway drives.
Old 20th January 2020, 09:40   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jithin23 View Post
Good to know that you had almost gone for the EcoSport, and as you said for city usage, the clutch of the TDCi makes driving difficult in peak Bangalore traffic though once you get used to it you'll know the knack to articulate the clutch.
The Ecosport was in fact one of the cars which I really liked, but didn't go for mainly because of this reason. Otherwise, it ticked most boxes for me. In fact, just before I canceled my booking, even the instrument cluster on the Titanium variant was updated to the S version's better looking cluster.

Ultimately picked up the City iVTEC which was the other car on my shortlist

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 20th January 2020 at 09:41.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 14:24   #40
BANNED

Thanks to every one to helping me to choose. After couple of Test drive both petrol and Diesel Ecosport. Finally Got my Vehicle Diesel titanium BS VI on 6th Mar from Cauvery Ford. Cancelled my earlier booking at JSP ford for their poor response. Got the refund of Booking amount in one day!!. But yet to receive refund booking (Polo TSI) amount from VW dealer (Mysore Road Branch). Its almost a month now, chasing for the money back. Today I wrote to VW India for the delay in refunding. Hope they will reply me back.
Thanks to everyone again.
mnaik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 08:46   #41
BANNED

Overall delivery experience at Cauvery Ford was good except the demo. Because struggled to open bonnet after back home. Normally all cars have center release latch. Referred you tube to learn how to open bonnet . My other vehicles are 2009 Santro and 2014 Innova so bit felt too much electronics on Ecosports but need to learn all controls by myself as demo given by Cauvery is almost nil.

Initial driving experience is bit confused in city traffic which gear to select 1st or 2nd. Felt required little more torque required for 2nd.
Engine is ultra-silent, can here engine if you open the window.

My 19-year-old daughter easily driving this vehicle (in fact she also rides my old RE -1988 model better than me). So “why should boys have all the fun?” as quoted by Pavi. But still my wife is not using regularly and sticking to her old Santro I think it may take some time come to a comfort zone.

Bit confused over color blue or Red. Finally chose Race RED.. looks different when in shade and when in Sun.
Highway driving experience still pending as I do not want to go to visit my parents as CORONA spreading everywhere. Will update to you soon once done.

Last edited by vb-saan : 17th March 2020 at 09:23. Reason: Spacing, unsupported smileys.
mnaik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 10:32   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Overall delivery experience at Cauvery Ford was good except the demo.
Sir, can you let us know if there are any discounts running on Ecosport in Bengaluru (especially the s variant).
Old 17th March 2020, 11:43   #43
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Sir, can you let us know if there are any discounts running on Ecosport in Bengaluru (especially the s variant).
No discounts on ex showroom price. But on insurance you can get quote from outside for bumper to bumper with zero depreciation and negotiate with them to match price. Also ask them for free seat covers and basic accessories etc. That helps to reduce some cost.
Old 22nd March 2020, 00:52   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks to every one to helping me to choose. After couple of Test drive both petrol and Diesel Ecosport. Finally Got my Vehicle Diesel titanium BS VI on 6th Mar from Cauvery Ford. Cancelled my earlier booking at JSP ford for their poor response. Got the refund of Booking amount in one day!
Thanks to everyone again.

Congrats on getting the EcoSport home! This car will take you places for sure but please refrain going on trips till the corona pandemic goes away for good. Regarding the gears, 2nd gear has a lag and you need to keep the engine at 1500-1600 rpm to keep the car going.

Once you start the car for the day, drive slowly till the temperature gauge needle comes close to midpoint and then you can accelerate fast. Before turning off the car, let the car idle for 30-60 seconds. This way, the car will run smooth and engine life will increase.
jithin23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 13:31   #45
BHPian

It's been exactly 2 years today and completing 32,700 kms with the blue baby in our house and boy! It has been a bountiful drive which each drive being thrilling and discovering more places and myself in the process. Especially while driving in the ghats and highways, it feels like a go kart with a point and shoot steering precision.

The tagline which was used in the erstwhile ikon "The Josh Machine" aptly suits this car.
Blue Baby comes home - Ford EcoSport Facelift Titanium TDCi-img_20190908_08200501.jpeg

One small damage in these two years is that the engine guard got cut and I replaced it in FASS for Rs 2144 last month.

These are the pictures of the replacement engine guard
Blue Baby comes home - Ford EcoSport Facelift Titanium TDCi-img_20200319_141059.jpg

Blue Baby comes home - Ford EcoSport Facelift Titanium TDCi-img_20200319_141253.jpg

Blue Baby comes home - Ford EcoSport Facelift Titanium TDCi-img_20200319_141733.jpg

The Total Cost of Upkeep(excluding EMI) summary:
  • Fuel: 42 full tanks(750-800km in one full tank normal shell diesel)= Rs 114,240( taking an avg cost of 68/l).
  • Insurance 18.5k each for first and second year. 23k at the time of car puchase
  • Warranty= 19,600
  • Tolls, washes and parking = 20,000
  • Accessories= 15,000(reverse cam, 7D Mats, wheel arches, sun shades, scuff plates and engine guard)
  • Maintenance = Rs.14,000 for 30,000 kms
  • EMI= 16k per month

Total= Rs. 242,840

Been to numerous places 2 countries (India and Bhutan), 8 states(KA,KL,AP,TN,TS,GA,OD & WB) with the EcoSport and this car is bought mainly for the road trips which I do plan spontaneously. The most prominent ones in my road trips were to the Konkan coast (MH):https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...-ecosport.html (Blue Baby goes to the Konkan Coast - From Bangalore to Konkan in an EcoSport)
, Bhutan Drive : https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...-ecosport.html (An unplanned drive: Bangalore to Bhutan in an EcoSport)
, Dudhsagar-Kundapura-Manipal and Coimbatore-Varkala-Trivandrum-Kanyakumari drive.

Some pictures which make me think that the drive and the car are totally worth it!
Blue Baby comes home - Ford EcoSport Facelift Titanium TDCi-img_20191010_08354401.jpeg

Blue Baby comes home - Ford EcoSport Facelift Titanium TDCi-img_20190425_205620.jpg

Blue Baby comes home - Ford EcoSport Facelift Titanium TDCi-img_20191011_104022.jpg

Blue Baby comes home - Ford EcoSport Facelift Titanium TDCi-img_20191009_14341301.jpeg

How can I forget the owners groups(EcoSquads India and Ford EcoSport Owners India) and Team-BHP which have played a key part in my ownership as well.

Blue Baby comes home - Ford EcoSport Facelift Titanium TDCi-img_20200308_084502.jpg

If anyone has ideas to make the car visually unique(restricting to sticker jobs and alloy painting), please let me know as I'm not sure what color and type complenets blue color.
jithin23 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed