Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2020, 15:56   #31
BHPian

re: VW Polo GT TSI - Code6'd EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
The downpipe looks dodgy, though.

What material is Code6's downpipe made of?

For now, the new exhaust looks fantastic and I love the exhaust note, although I'd request for an even quieter note, one that's prominent only above 3.5k RPM. The DSG farts, and pops 'n' bangs, are nice editions though.

If you have some extra dough left over, do consider a TCU remap as I'm told that it not only increases the torque limit, the shift times are faster and more aggressive, and the gearbox is no longer mapped for economy, thereby potentially extending the life of the clutch pack as the gearbox no longer constantly hunts for the highest gear at every instance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harish View Post
That is exactly what I thought when I had a first look at the downpipe in photo, the heat wrap is what gives that feel. But the downpipe Code6 has provided is engineered well out of grade 304 Stainless Steel just like the other parts of the exhaust system.

I'm loving the pops & bangs and DSG Farts! When I let go of the throttle, above 2.5k RPM. The backfire pops sound crazy! Totally addicted.

I'm thinking about the TCU Remap too. I have my eyes on the TVS DSG software for the TCU.
I'm sorry, but I couldn't help but ask you experts what exactly a TCU remap does. Does it work in conjunction with the Code6 remap that Harish has or is that something that can be done regardless of an ECU remap?

I have a Vento TSI which will be out of warranty come June, after which, I'll be ready to take it to the next level. Unfortunately, I'm a complete novice when it comes to this. I'm thinking about getting a remap, new dampers and an exhaust for now.

Harish, your exhaust sounds absolutely amazing and I'll be looking for something similar (With pops and bangs)

Could you guys please tell me:

1. What the difference between a Stage 1 and a stage 2 remap is?
2. In terms of reliability, will stage 1 be safer than stage 2 or are both the same?
3. How worried should I be as far as reliability is concerned after a remap? My car has been flawless for the last 4 years, can I expect the same level of peace of mind?
4. Why did Suhaas say the downpipe looks dodgy?
5. Are the pops and bangs a part of the new exhaust system or does that require some extra work? (If it requires extra work, what exactly is it?)
6. How would an exhaust like this cost?

Thank you!
Old 27th April 2020, 19:51   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
I'm sorry, but I couldn't help but ask you experts what exactly a TCU remap does. Does it work in conjunction with the Code6 remap that Harish has or is that something that can be done regardless of an ECU remap?

Harish, your exhaust sounds absolutely amazing and I'll be looking for something similar (With pops and bangs)

Could you guys please tell me:

1. What the difference between a Stage 1 and a stage 2 remap is?
2. In terms of reliability, will stage 1 be safer than stage 2 or are both the same?
3. How worried should I be as far as reliability is concerned after a remap? My car has been flawless for the last 4 years, can I expect the same level of peace of mind?
4. Why did Suhaas say the downpipe looks dodgy?
5. Are the pops and bangs a part of the new exhaust system or does that require some extra work? (If it requires extra work, what exactly is it?)
6. How would an exhaust like this cost?

Thank you!
I'm no way an expert

But to answer your question, what the Transmission Control Unit (TCU) remap does in our cars is: Increases the stock torque limit of 250NM which is rated for the DQ200 GearBox. Make the shifts more sharp, The shifts feel and are considerably quicker than before and mainly, it improves the reliability of the infamous DQ200. If you don't have extended warranty for your car or it has ended. I'd highly recommend you get a TVS or Code6 TCU Map.

Thanks a lot! I appreciate it The pops and bangs are delicious.

1. A Stage 1 remap is only an ECU Tune. Nothing else, just software. A Stage 2 comprises of an ECU Tune, Decat Downpipe with the exhaust system, a replacement air filter. Difference is a tad bit of more power, better lower-end torque due to the decat. Stage 2 is the most and best power/option for our 1.2TSI's. Stage 3 on this car isn't just worth the money. The money you put in vs. what you get out of it.

2. In terms of reliability, I'd say the Stage1 is probably better. I have experienced a few coolant leaks at 16k kms on the odo. But I was told by the Service Advisor the coolant bowl got a small hole in it and started leaking. They only charged me around Rs.500 I guess and the car was back to normal. Few of my friends have Stage2 1.2TSI too. They haven't had this problem yet. But anyways it's rectified on mine.

3. I'd say you shouldn't be worried at all, choose a trusted tuner and you'll be happy you got a remap! If your car has been flawless for all these years, yes you can expect the same! Just do periodic maintenance and drive the same way you have all this while. It'll be great.

4. I think he said it looked dodgy because it was wrapped with heat wrap and the downpipe itself wouldn't have been all that visible. It is made of 304 grade Stainless Steel.

5. To activate pops and bangs, you need a stage2 setup which includes an exhaust. Pops and Bangs, done by a remap as well. As far as I'm aware of it, The unburned fuel is dumped in the exhaust and due to the exhaust being hot, it results in pops and bangs.

6. An exhaust like mine would cost 40to45k. The pops and bangs remap cost 4k on top of the ECU remap cost.
harish is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th April 2020, 22:12   #33
BHPian

Thanks so much, Harish! Do you mind telling me how much the Stage 2 Tune cost you? And did you get a TCU tune for your car as well?
Old 28th April 2020, 12:35   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
Thanks so much, Harish! Do you mind telling me how much the Stage 2 Tune cost you? And did you get a TCU tune for your car as well?
You're welcome! Stage 2 tune from code6 cost me Rs.18,000 and as I said earlier it's Rs.4,000 for pops and bangs tune. All in all, Rs.22,000 for the remap.

No, I did not get the TCU map as I got extended warranty and didn't feel the need for it.

Last edited by harish : 28th April 2020 at 12:36.
harish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2020, 16:32   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harish View Post
You're welcome! Stage 2 tune from code6 cost me Rs.18,000 and as I said earlier it's Rs.4,000 for pops and bangs tune. All in all, Rs.22,000 for the remap.

No, I did not get the TCU map as I got extended warranty and didn't feel the need for it.
Hi Harish,

I have installed a Borla Valvetronic catback exhaust on my Civic and was planning to get the pop and bang map as well. I did message Code6 on whatsapp, but haven't received any reply.

Can the remap control the amount and loudness of the pops and bangs? if yes, to what extent?

Such limited options in the north here, have no clue whom to approach for getting this done.
Old 11th September 2020, 23:50   #36

Re: VW Polo GT TSI - Code6'd EDIT: Sold!

Hi Harsh, wonderful thread. I had read your review even before I was a member here. I couldn't help but notice that you have sold your beloved TSI, was it due to any performance/DSG related issues ? I own a 2017 TSI myself and hence the nervous question
Old 13th September 2020, 11:16   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopy95 View Post
Hi Harsh, wonderful thread. I had read your review even before I was a member here. I couldn't help but notice that you have sold your beloved TSI, was it due to any performance/DSG related issues ? I own a 2017 TSI myself and hence the nervous question
Hey Mopy95,
Thank you Yes I have sold my GT TSI 4 months ago as I was planning to upgrade to a sport-ish car but plans changed and I'm going to the US in a while so that's the only reason why I parted ways with my beloved car at 22k kms. The car is still doing great and is with a fellow car enthusiast. He did tell me he was facing some jerks in the DSG 2k kms into ownership. I had opted for the extended warranty last year so he was able to make use of it and had got DSG re-adaptation done I guess. Now the car's perfect. You don't really have to worry if you have extended warranty and a good relationship with the dealer/SA. Cheers to many more miles in your GT!
harish is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 11:55   #38
BHPian

Too bad that you had to let go of your GT. But I have a question regarding hard-coded performance remaps: Can the technicians at the service center tell that a car has been remapped? And if yes, does that not void the warranty?
TheGearBox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2020, 03:00   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGearBox View Post
Too bad that you had to let go of your GT. But I have a question regarding hard-coded performance remaps: Can the technicians at the service center tell that a car has been remapped? And if yes, does that not void the warranty?
They can tell if they look, there's a flash counter in the ECU. I'm on the same boat thinking whether or not to remap. But I think it's safer to get both ECU and TCU remapped for the safety of the gearbox.
Old 13th November 2020, 09:49   #40

Will a remap affect the car's warranty. I am planning to buy a Polo GT TSI 1.0. Seeing the 0-100 timing I felt the car was much slower than the 1.2 TSI.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks