Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2019, 18:32   #1
BHPian

VW Polo GT TSI - Code6'd EDIT: Sold!

Our trustworthy Ford Figo TDCI had started to show age after 6 years, 80000 KMs of usage. So the time had come for it to retire from our family. It was the car I learnt to drive in, hence it had a special place in my heart. We had bought the car in late 2011 and it had served us well for short commutes, as a grocery getter and an occasional highway hopper.

The replacement had to be
:

A quick, punchy, fun to drive hatch that is a solidly built, must be petrol and had to be mod friendly.

The options considered:

Polo GTI caught my fancy when it was first unveiled to be launched in the Indian market. It had a super punchy 1.8 TSI motor in it mated to a DSG gearbox, a match made in heaven. But at the time when we were looking for a replacement for our Figo the prices were still on the higher side. If stock clearance was by then I would have for sure ended up with a GTI. Still hope to acquire a pre-worshipped one soon.

Polo GT TSI being the next in line hatch from VAG in India after the GTI, equipped with the 1.2L TSI and DG200 DSG. Fun factor wasn't as high as the GTI but the GT was a practical all rounder suited for our needs.

Hyundai i20 Elite (CVT) My dad was disappointed after the test drive, he mentioned it had a rubber band-ish feel to it, that shifts felt jerky and it was neither fun nor comfortable to drive.

Skoda Rapid TDI Manual, With no serious intention in buying as it was a diesel, manual and a sedan. It was still a blast to drive once the turbo kicked. in. To this day I enjoy taking my friend's Stage1+ Rapid for a spin when ever we meet and sometimes wish I had went for it.

Fiat Abart Punto (T-Jet), I pitched in the idea of getting this 'Performance hatch' to my dad before thoroughly researching about it's characteristics. Turned out it had a poorly engineered gearbox with long shifts (bad for what is marketed as an enthusiast's car), cramped interiors, poor fuel economy and bad overall ergonomics. These were enough reasons for it to be ruled off.

Vento TSI, Since this has the same engine and gearbox setup from the GT. I assumed it would be as fun to drive and also added features in the Highline+ variant like the headlights with DRL's similar to the GTI, Leather seats and more were a bonus. But it's boat like handling compared to the GT left me disappointed. Behind the wheel you could really feel the difference because of the extra 100 Kilos/boot.

Reasons why we decided on the Polo GT TSI:

It's a hatch, an automatic and a petrol.
Is solidly built, German engineering.
Had plenty of power needed for the city and occasional highway runs.
Is mod friendly, a perfect canvas to work on it to make it my own.

The main reason is because of BHPian Philip.Mathew's thread, I discovered it a while ago and it got me into the whole idea of buying a Polo GT. I would show my dad his well documented thread and go on and on about his build. His car is one true sleeper with loads of performance, handling and convenience mods, Thank You Philip! if you're reading this.

The Colour:

The Grey which was offered on the Polo GT, looked dull to me and my dad. Other options were Red and White. We had told the SA we wanted a red one first as the other cars at home were all white but I couldn't see myself enjoying red in the long term. So we booked for a Candy White one instead which contrasts the black OVRM's and roof well. White is one classy colour I tell you. (not really a colour ) It would be nice if VW pushes out more colours for the GT twins. Recently a new blue has been added to only the GT TSI I've been told, the dark blue from the CONNECT EDITIONs.

Booking and Delivery:

Me and my dad went over to the dealer on 17th June , booked the Polo GT in Candy White. The SA was happy and eager to answer our queries. He was well informed of all the car had to offer. Later we said our last goodbyes to our trusty Figo. It was a hard moment for me to digest the fact that it was no longer going to be with us.

Dropped the Figo off at the dealer.

VW Polo GT TSI - Code6'd EDIT: Sold!-figo.jpg

We were told by our SA the car would be delivered in 2 weeks, I was happy it wasn't going to be a long wait. SA constantly kept in touch and updated us on our car's whereabouts and other details. The car was ready for delivery on 27th June, but the registration number we wanted wasn't available at the time so we decided to take the car for the customary pooja to a nearby Ganesha temple as it was an auspicious day. When we took the car to the temple it was not PDI'd yet so the head unit was locked and not accessible. Also I was happy to see my car had Apollo Alnac's so I didn't feel the need for an immediate tyre swap. I would get these done with and get better 205/45/R16 tyres.

My first sight at the GT, sitting pretty.

VW Polo GT TSI - Code6'd EDIT: Sold!-first-sight.jpeg

Ze Germans.

VW Polo GT TSI - Code6'd EDIT: Sold!-germans.jpeg

The cockpit, 19 KMs on the ODO.

VW Polo GT TSI - Code6'd EDIT: Sold!-cockpit.jpg

My dad signed a paper to take the car out for a pooja before the official delivery and a dealer driver accompanied us.

Fast forward two days, the car had been registered with the number we wanted and was ready for delivery. Me and my dad went over to the dealership, he signed the papers.

The car running over 4 lemons.

VW Polo GT TSI - Code6'd EDIT: Sold!-lemons.jpg

Our SA showed us around the car and explained it's basic and key features which lasted for about 15 minutes and then we were on our way home. The delivery experience was quite pleasant, along with the keys we were handed a box of assorted chocolates, keychains among few other things. We were in and out in 30 minutes.

This was the first time I drove the Polo GTTSI, I didn't even test drive it. Strolled out of the dealer waving to the staff, it felt like a carpet ride at the time and I didn't push it over 2.5k RPM as I wanted to do a proper run-in even though the SA said that wouldn't be required but it doesn't hurt to follow old principles.

Got home, parked the car for the day. The next morning was when I got a proper feel for it taking it on the highway to the farm.

Modifications and Accessories:

(Note) : These are the modifications I wanted to do at the time of delivery, Some mods not in the list have been executed as they were an after thought. So you'd have to keep reading to know.

1. OEM Armrest - I had to have that because what was Volkswagen thinking not providing one in an automatic , I knew it was going to be uncomfortable without one so I went ahead and asked the SA to have it fixed on my car before delivery. I remember paying around 6500 for it which is well worth it - (Check)

2. All black artificial leather upholstery, which will totally transform the interiors - (Pending)

3. Osram Nightbreakers / Philips Xtreme Vision headlight-bulbs - (Pending)

4. Powder coated rims (Gloss black or Gunmetal grey) - (Pending)

5. Floor mats - (Check)

6. Number plates - (Check)

7. 3M Gloss Black Roof - (Check)

8. Sun film - (Pending)

The armrest is of good quality and it sits in place, It also acts as a storage compartment helping keep valuables out of sight from the window. The bottle holder comes in nifty and holds bottles well in place unlike the holders in the doors.

VW Polo GT TSI - Code6'd EDIT: Sold!-armrest-1.jpg

VW Polo GT TSI - Code6'd EDIT: Sold!-armrest-2.jpeg

There are two things I don't like about this armrest,

To get the arm rest aligned straight you have to play with it a little and does take time to get used. But once it is in place it won't go anywhere until you pull it up.

Another is, the squeaky noise it makes even on the slightest imperfection on the road when your hand is resting on it. This is very annoying, I'm yet to find a solution for it. Anybody help with this?

Also, I got the black roof done at the dealership. It was gloss black 3M vinyl. But compared to a few friends' cars who had their roof done at a 3M car care centre, Mine looks less glossy. I don't really mind that but I'm sure the dealership used 3M vinyl on my car and not some local brand.

Disclaimer:
  • This report is hurried and thus lack of detailed documentation, this will change in the upcoming ones.
  • At the time of writing this review, I have completed 13500 KMs in the span of 9 and a half months.
  • In this review I would rather prefer to state my views and opinion on the car as there are many other GT TSI threads on the forum with official reviews which covers almost all of the information.
  • Sorry for providing limited photos as all of this happened nearly ten months ago and I've switched phones, I had to make do with what I was able to find.
  • As this is my first thread/post please excuse and let me know if there are any mistakes/errors and wrong layout.

Last edited by harish : 15th April 2019 at 23:03.
harish is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 16th April 2019, 22:30   #2
BHPian

re: VW Polo GT TSI - Code6'd EDIT: Sold!

VW Polo GT TSI - Code6'd EDIT: Sold!-front.jpeg

What I like:
  • The high revving TSI engine and DSG combo.
  • Build quality, in and out.
  • Classy, feels premium yet understated.
  • Packs a punch compared to rivals.

What I don't like:
  • Stock brakes, gives no confidence in triple digit speeds.
  • Suspension is somewhat soft, all over the place and of bad quality.
  • Cramped in the back seat, not spacious as rivals.
  • The fear of DQ200 gearbox failure.

The Exterior:

VW Polo GT TSI - Code6'd EDIT: Sold!-front-34.jpeg

VW Polo GT TSI - Code6'd EDIT: Sold!-side.jpeg

VW Polo GT TSI - Code6'd EDIT: Sold!-rear.jpeg

The double barrel headlights present in all variants of the Polo in India, I would have expected better looking one's for what the GT is advertised as. The one on the Vento Highline+ could have been offered as an option, They look sharp. These headlights light up the road averagely, and aren't adequate at all for long night drives.
VW Polo GT TSI - Code6'd EDIT: Sold!-headlights.jpg

The fog-light housing may look like they have slots for two different bulbs, but the reality is the same foglight bulb acts as a cornering light when necessary. This part is designed in such a way with multipurpose.
VW Polo GT TSI - Code6'd EDIT: Sold!-foglights.jpg

Front windshield wiper and sprayer, there are two of these present hidden behind the bonnet.
VW Polo GT TSI - Code6'd EDIT: Sold!-front-wiper-sprayer.jpeg

The rear sprayer integrated in the brake light is clever, I never noticed until recently when I took a closer look.
VW Polo GT TSI - Code6'd EDIT: Sold!-rear-sprayer.jpeg

The piano black OVRM which is equipped only on the Polo GT.
VW Polo GT TSI - Code6'd EDIT: Sold!-ovrm.jpeg

Piano black rear spoiler, different from the earlier one's which blended with the roof. First I hated this but it started to grow on me as it looks a tad bit sportier than the one before.
VW Polo GT TSI - Code6'd EDIT: Sold!-rear-spoiler.jpeg

16inch Portago Silver Rims wrapped in Apollo Alnac 4G 195/45/R16 rubber. Tires are good for now, may get rims powder coated soon.
VW Polo GT TSI - Code6'd EDIT: Sold!-rims.jpg

The "GT TSI" sticker on the C pillar contrasting the white body, some find it odd to be placed there but I like it as it differentiates the GT from other Polos on the road.
VW Polo GT TSI - Code6'd EDIT: Sold!-gt-tsi-side-sticker.jpeg

"GT" badge de-chromed using plastidip spray can.
VW Polo GT TSI - Code6'd EDIT: Sold!-gt-decchromed.jpeg

"TSI" badge de-chromed as well and the Code6 Tuned rubber sticker above.
VW Polo GT TSI - Code6'd EDIT: Sold!-tsi-dechromed.jpeg

Last edited by harish : 17th April 2019 at 08:46.
harish is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 17th April 2019, 02:05   #3
BHPian

The Interior:

As soon as I step in those doors and take the seat, I feel snug and at home. Everything in the interior are laid out properly and symmetrically. The centre console is tilted towards the driver by a small angle for easier access. That's a great thought VW! Parts of centre console, AC Vents and Steering wheel get the piano black inserts which give the car a rich feel but are a nightmare to maintain from the elements. But as seen in the pictures, the Polo has well designed and thought for interiors. Nothing feels out of place or an after thought.

VW Polo GT TSI - Code6'd EDIT: Sold!-interior-front-view.jpeg

The front seats and the dash, Volkswagen uses this fabric upholstery for the seats which they call Milan Titanschwarz and they look classy. The rear of the front seats get black leatherette. But these seats are prone to stains caused by any liquid, even water. There is some bolstering present, but it doesn't keep you from moving in corners when driven spiritedly. The driver seat alone gets height adjustment to get a good view of the road.
VW Polo GT TSI - Code6'd EDIT: Sold!-front-seats-dash.jpeg

The rear bench, with non existent leg room.
VW Polo GT TSI - Code6'd EDIT: Sold!-back-bench.jpeg

The well laid out centre console and auto dimming IRVM.
For the AC, knob on the right controls the temperature and the left one controls the blower speed.
There are 3 operating switches present between the AC vents and head unit, they are:
Traction Control OFF, Front windscreen defrost and hazard lights.
VW Polo GT TSI - Code6'd EDIT: Sold!-centre-console.jpeg

The AC vents get brushed aluminium lining around them followed by a piano black trim.
VW Polo GT TSI - Code6'd EDIT: Sold!-centre-ac.jpg
VW Polo GT TSI - Code6'd EDIT: Sold!-side-ac.jpeg

The DSG gear selector, There are two cup holder in front of it. Which is a tight space to put a drink/cup in so it could be used for other purposes such as storing a mobile, receipts and loose change.
VW Polo GT TSI - Code6'd EDIT: Sold!-gear-selector.jpeg

The armrest I had fitted in.
VW Polo GT TSI - Code6'd EDIT: Sold!-arm-rest.jpg

The handbrake lever, years ago this used to be wrapped in leather. Thinking about doing the same.
VW Polo GT TSI - Code6'd EDIT: Sold!-hand-brake.jpg

The driver side foot well, the pedals are finished with brushed aluminium giving off a sporty look and has a dead pedal to rest the left leg.
VW Polo GT TSI - Code6'd EDIT: Sold!-pedals.jpeg

Left sun visor with vanity mirror.
VW Polo GT TSI - Code6'd EDIT: Sold!-left-sun-visor.jpeg

Right sun visor with ticket holder.
VW Polo GT TSI - Code6'd EDIT: Sold!-right-sun-visor.jpeg

The glovebox.
VW Polo GT TSI - Code6'd EDIT: Sold!-dashboard.jpeg

Cooling vent in the glovebox, rotating the vent would allow cold air in and also stop it.
VW Polo GT TSI - Code6'd EDIT: Sold!-dash-ac.jpeg

All the door handles inside are made of brushed aluminium, which is a nice premium touch. Water bottle holder on the front door holds 1 litre bottles.
VW Polo GT TSI - Code6'd EDIT: Sold!-front-door-water-bottle.jpeg

Rear doors get smaller holders.
VW Polo GT TSI - Code6'd EDIT: Sold!-rear-door-bottle.jpeg

Steering wheel and controls:

The leather wrapped flat bottom steering wheel is a joy to hold, The steering wheel controls are well laid out and easy to reach while driving. There is a lever under to adjust the reach and tilt of the steering wheel.
VW Polo GT TSI - Code6'd EDIT: Sold!-steering-wheel.jpeg

Controls on the right of the steering wheel, the up and down and the left and right buttons can be used to scroll through the MFD. The OK button is used to toggle MFD screens and reset the readings. For example, when on average speed MFD, pressing OK toggles between average speeds for current trip and since last reset. Long pressing OK resets the parameters. Button with human head toggles Google Assistant for Android Auto and Siri for Apple Car Play and phone button is used to connect and disconnect calls.
VW Polo GT TSI - Code6'd EDIT: Sold!-mid-buttons-right-steering.jpeg

Controls on the left of the steering wheel, the + and - buttons are used to increase and decrease the volume. The next and previous buttons on the brushed aluminium piece are used to select previous and next tracks or to tune the radio. The center button as it shows is to mute the audio.
VW Polo GT TSI - Code6'd EDIT: Sold!-volume-button-steering.jpeg

Indicator/Cruise Control stalk, the switch on top of the stalk ON OFF CANCEL are controls for the cruise control. To enable cruise control the switch must be placed in ON position and then press the SET button when at any speed above 20 kmph. Now you don't have to press the gas pedal by yourself, the car will do it for you and will maintain the set speed. To stop cruise control you can either tap/press the brake pedal or push CANCEL on the stalk and to resume cruise control at the last set speed press the RES button. While on cruise control, to increase or decrease the speed RES and SET button are to be used. For example cruise control is set at 75kmph. If you press the RES button 5 times the speed will increase to 80kmph, If you press the SET button 5 times the speed will decrease to 70kmph. It is easy and simple to use, convenient too.

This stalk also controls the indicators, by tapping the indicator up or down the lane change indicator is activated. The indicator flashes 3 times and the count can be changed through VCDS Tweaking, pressing until the stalk clicks will activate the turn signals and turns off when the steering is straightened. The stalk also controls the headlight. Pulling the stalk towards you flashes the high beam, and when headlights are on pushing it away turns on the high beam.
VW Polo GT TSI - Code6'd EDIT: Sold!-indicator-cc.jpg

Windshield Wiper/Washer stalk, controls the wiper in the front and rear windshield. Pushing the stalk down activates the wiper once, pulling it towards yourself activates front windshield washer spray and pushing it away fully activates rear windshield washer spray. Pushing it away until it stays, activates rear wiper. Leaving the stalk in variable speed wiper mode activates the rain sensing, it automatically turns on/off and increases/decrease the speed according to the rain.
VW Polo GT TSI - Code6'd EDIT: Sold!-wiper-control.jpg

The headlight control

At 'O' position all the lights are off, when turned anti clockwise once the park lights are turned on. Turning it twice from position 'O' activates the headlights. When park lights are on you can turn on the fog lights by pulling the switch towards yourself. Turning the switch to 'O' will turn off all the lights.
VW Polo GT TSI - Code6'd EDIT: Sold!-headlight-control.jpeg

Window and OVRM controls

All the windows get on touch up/down, the switch to lock rear window switches is placed in between the 4 window switches.

ORVM control is the round switch present on top of the handle, it is used to adjust and fold the OVRM's. Operate with care as this switch is a little fragile.
VW Polo GT TSI - Code6'd EDIT: Sold!-driver-door-controls.jpeg

Head Unit:

This head unit gives a different feel to the whole interior, it is the RCD 330G Plus system with Bluetooth telephony, SD Card, AUX in, Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. Basic controls to this system can be used using the controls on the steering wheel. There are 4 speakers on the 4 doors and the audio quality is decent in normal volume and as increased, the quality drops and starts to sound muffled. The mic for bluetooth calls is present under the MEDIA button on the left side whereas it should have been on the right where the driver's voice could be heard better.

The head unit acts as an analogue clock when not in use.
VW Polo GT TSI - Code6'd EDIT: Sold!-hu-offclock.jpeg

In the radio tab, there are 5 presets which came with my car and they can be toggled by pressing the icon on the screen or with left/right buttons on the steering wheel on the left side.
VW Polo GT TSI - Code6'd EDIT: Sold!-hu-radio.jpeg

In the phone tab, you can add 4 favourites on this screen as I have and also can dial a number/look up contacts on your phone.
VW Polo GT TSI - Code6'd EDIT: Sold!-hu-phone.jpeg

In the media tab, it will show you the audio playing with controls to pause, fast forward and replay.
VW Polo GT TSI - Code6'd EDIT: Sold!-hu-media.jpeg

In Android Auto home screen, basic information like the song playing, weather at current location, time to get home (if home location saved in Google Maps) and a recent call/message are shown.
VW Polo GT TSI - Code6'd EDIT: Sold!-hu-androidauto.jpeg

In Android Auto, Apple Music.
VW Polo GT TSI - Code6'd EDIT: Sold!-hu-androidsong.jpeg

Last edited by harish : 17th April 2019 at 08:46.
harish is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 17th April 2019, 14:22   #4
BHPian

Engine, Gearbox, Ride and Handling:

The engine bay.
VW Polo GT TSI - Code6'd EDIT: Sold!-enginebay.jpeg

This is a fun package to drive, but in no way it's a hot hatch. Compared to other Indian hatches, Yes the GT is more powerful and faster. But something like the GTI is what is referred as a hot hatch. But don't underestimate the potential of the GT TSI, it will leave you in awe!

This turbocharged 1.2 litre 4 cylinder is a gem of an engine, crank it up and you will hear it come alive. After a few seconds the noise does settle down and starts to idle quietly. The engine has an enthusiastic sound to it I feel as we haven't had a petrol car for a long time. I'm loving everything this engine brings to the whole experience!

The TSI + DSG7 combo work perfectly in the city and the highway. As the car is small-ish, it is easy to manoeuvre in tight spaces and in city traffic making the commute effortless. Whenever I find a free and empty patch, I pedal to the metal where a few gears drop and the engine roars. The car is quick to get to about 80kmph from standstill. 80-100 is what takes a bit of time I've noticed.

In bumper to bumper traffic I have noticed the car is always hunting a gear to shift to or stay in, which I find annoying sometimes. Ever since I read an article/post on measures to take to prevent DQ200 failure I've been putting the car in N whenever the car comes to a stop in traffic. This stops the transmission from stressing itself. Also, I haven't experienced the infamous D3 to D2 jerk. Guess that's a good thing.

The turbo spools up and boost comes in a linear trend unlike a few VAG diesels. There is no violent turbo kick in and no pushed in the seat feeling suddenly. Your passengers do feel pinned in when accelerating though.

The fuel economy however was pathetic in the first few days, after a while the mileage started to slowly rise as the gearbox had accustomed to my driving style. When driven sedately, the car yield a mileage upwards of 12km/4 in the city. When I drive spiritedly it drops to about 8km/l which isn't bad for the fun out of it.

Normally I drive the car in D mode which is an all rounder for fuel economy and performance. I don't like what S (Sports) has to offer. I feel it's aggressive and unnecessary. The DSG holds a gear without shifting until red line or when it feels throttle input is starting to fade. On the other end, Tip-tronic is what I fancy. It helps me stay in the power band and holds gears until red-lining or shifting. Including paddle shifters would have been a nice feature. But the tip-tronic mode feels more engaging and fun. The wheels lose traction when accelerating in manual mode shifting at around 5000 rpm from 1st to 2nd gear, but ESP kicks in and slows you down a bit to get the wheels under control.

As much as I like the engine and transmission, it's not the same way about the suspension and brakes.

The suspension, to me, feels soft but harsh and wobbly at high speeds. I've noticed significant body-roll cornering in the twisties. This takes fun out of the equation. Also the dampers/shocks are of bad quality and aren't reliable I've heard. If you notice, turning off music and AC with windows down. You can hear the hissing of the front suspension when passing a speed breaker or pothole. Something like the Bilstein B6's should solve this problem and bring fun back in. While the stock suspension isn't fun it does feel safe cornering at reasonable speeds. Many members and friends say the GT has a stiff suspension, don't know if I feel the same. I'm definitely looking at options for a suspension/coilover upgrade in the near future.

The brakes are not what I expected to find on a car with this much power on offer, At least bigger rotors up front or discs in the rear should have been provided. These brakes don't give you much confidence to push the car. There have been instances I had to go hard on the brakes, When I pressed the pedal as much as I can. The brakes shuddered and wheels locked for a brief moment, that was scary. At low speeds the brakes feel spongy with no feedback.

The steering is light and it does weigh up a bit as speed increases, but is comparably lighter than the Vento. This makes the car feel nimble and gives it a Go-Kart like feeling. Wider tyres however will stiffen this a bit I'm hoping.

It's a fun car that makes me

That's all I have for now and will keep updating the thread about my experience with the car.

Thanks for taking the time to read through the thread.

Cheers!
harish is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 18th April 2019, 08:36   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!
Old 18th April 2019, 11:28   #6
BHPian

Let me be the first to congratulate you, and welcome to the GT TSI club. Regarding the squeaking sound from the armrest, please go through my ownership thread (My pre-worshipped Volkswagen Polo GT TSI with lots of DIYs) here for a possible solution. You will also find other goodies like a leather grip on the handbrake cover and my experience with the B6 kit.

Regarding the Alnacs, I would strongly recommend an upgrade while your stock tires are still new, so you will get a good exchange. The stock tires just don't do justice to the car, and get extremely noisy after a while.

Good luck, and wish you many happy miles.

PS: It is a good thing to shift to N when the car is not moving, since it keeps the DSG stress-free. However, please note that the kickdown mode (a.k.a. pedal-to-the-metal) also causes a lot of stress in the gearbox, and should be used sparingly. More so, since your car is still in the running in period.

Last edited by TheLizardKing : 18th April 2019 at 11:30.
TheLizardKing is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2019, 16:07   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
Let me be the first to congratulate you, and welcome to the GT TSI club. Regarding the squeaking sound from the armrest, please go through my ownership thread (My pre-worshipped Volkswagen Polo GT TSI with lots of DIYs) here for a possible solution. You will also find other goodies like a leather grip on the handbrake cover and my experience with the B6 kit.

Regarding the Alnacs, I would strongly recommend an upgrade while your stock tires are still new, so you will get a good exchange. The stock tires just don't do justice to the car, and get extremely noisy after a while.

Good luck, and wish you many happy miles.

PS: It is a good thing to shift to N when the car is not moving, since it keeps the DSG stress-free. However, please note that the kickdown mode (a.k.a. pedal-to-the-metal) also causes a lot of stress in the gearbox, and should be used sparingly. More so, since your car is still in the running in period.
Thank You mate! Hope you are enjoying your GT as well. I did come across your thread once. Your car is loaded with mods! I do have a few DIYs on the list and hoping to execute them soon.

I will look into the arm rest situation, I've been thinking about the B6 suspension upgrade. Could you please PM me regarding the same, I'm not able to find the 'New Message' button in PM's tab.

I'm not sure if I will get a good rate for the Alnacs in exchange at this point as the car has already done 13500 KMs. So I'm planning on sticking to them until they wear out, which will be soon.

I did a proper break-in in my car, so kick-down shouldn't be a problem I'm guessing. I agree it does put stress on the gearbox but I suppose it should be able to handle it fine.

Cheers!
harish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2019, 16:26   #8
BHPian

Congratulations on the Beast!

How is the ASS of the dealer? I hope it does not turn out to be one of those places where we hear horror stories from. I live in Vellakoil. So there aren't any VW dealers nearby. I just wanted to know what's the dealer situation is like.

I've been wanting to drive a GT TSI ever since I read the official review of the twins. I've just finished college and yet to start earning. Hope there'll still be fun petrol cars like the GT TSI around when I'm earning enough to buy a car!

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 18th April 2019 at 16:38. Reason: GT TSI and not GT TDI
Old 18th April 2019, 16:39   #9
BHPian

Wow sweet ride. Love the de-chroming of the badges.
But I couldn't find any details of your re-map. Is it done or still pending ?
Old 18th April 2019, 17:15   #10
Senior - BHPian

The astonishing thing about the GT, and more generally the Polo, is just how competitive it remains despite being a decade old. Save for the NA petrol version (weak engine) and after sales support, every other variant does nearly everything right.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2019, 07:28   #11
BHPian

With due apologies to members of the GT forums I find it is becoming fashionable to curse and criticize the ASS of VW service centers. More often than not it is hearsay spread by word of mouth. I wish to make it clear that I am no supporter of VW ASS and make my own judgement based on what I have experienced. I may also add that I do not dispute other forum members experiences in this respect but don't you feel some of this is way over the top.
My own experience over the last 6 years plus( first with the Polo Highline(P) and then with the TSI ) is anything but. Do I feel it can be improved? For sure it can. I'm guessing it varies from place to place and service advisor to service advisor. I feel service stations in small towns have an edge over the overloaded ones in metros and the happening cities.

Just my 2p.
Old 19th April 2019, 08:26   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibi6613 View Post
Congratulations on the Beast!

How is the ASS of the dealer? I hope it does not turn out to be one of those places where we hear horror stories from. I live in Vellakoil. So there aren't any VW dealers nearby. I just wanted to know what's the dealer situation is like.

I've been wanting to drive a GT TSI ever since I read the official review of the twins. I've just finished college and yet to start earning. Hope there'll still be fun petrol cars like the GT TSI around when I'm earning enough to buy a car!
Thank you mate! ASS of the dealer has been great so far, I'm yet to take my car for the 2nd service and it's due in about 500 KMs. The service centre call me promptly before a few days due for service and fix an appointment to my convenience.

I hope there will be fun petrol cars like this in the coming years too, good luck on your future endeavours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepjaju View Post
Wow sweet ride. Love the de-chroming of the badges.
But I couldn't find any details of your re-map. Is it done or still pending ?
Thank You deepjaju! It adds a personal touch and contrasts well with the car I feel.

The car indeed is remapped, I'm still working on the post for that! Stay tuned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
The astonishing thing about the GT, and more generally the Polo, is just how competitive it remains despite being a decade old. Save for the NA petrol version (weak engine) and after sales support, every other variant does nearly everything right.
That's exactly what I feel, The Polo indeed has aged well in past years. It's a car one would not be able to call old/outdated except those 3 cylinder pot engines as you mentioned.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 19th April 2019 at 08:44. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote option (QUOTE+) while quoting and responding to multiple posts. Thanks.
harish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2019, 10:14   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harish View Post

Polo GTI caught my fancy when it was first unveiled to be launched in the Indian market... Still hope to acquire a pre-worshipped one soon.
One of the best hot hatches available in our country. A couple of guys I know picked up at the discounted prices and are very happy with the purchase. Good luck getting one in the pre-worshipped guise - it'll be hoot to drive.

Quote:
Polo GT TSI being the next in line hatch from VAG in India after the GTI, equipped with the 1.2L TSI and DG200 DSG. Fun factor wasn't as high as the GTI but the GT was a practical all rounder suited for our needs.
The Polo is still one of my favourites in the Indian market. The GT TSI combines AT + timeless design + peppy performance. My only concern is the DSG reliability but with long warranties it should be ok.

Quote:
Skoda Rapid TDI Manual, To this day I enjoy taking my friend's Stage1+ Rapid for a spin when ever we meet and sometimes wish I had went for it.
Yeah, some diesels are like that. Never heard complaints from any Rapid Tdi owners, but somehow the car never appealed to me as well!

Quote:
Fiat Abart Punto (T-Jet), Turned out it had a poorly engineered gearbox with long shifts (bad for what is marketed as an enthusiast's car), cramped interiors, poor fuel economy and bad overall ergonomics. These were enough reasons for it to be ruled off.
Hahaha, tell me about it. I had a 09 Punto and then upgraded to an Abarth! Yes, some issues are there, but the smiles / km given out makes up for it.

Quote:
Reasons why we decided on the Polo GT TSI:
I think your choice has been perfect amongst the cars you have listed. Not to mention, the VW ecosystem as a whole means you can add upgrades right from the stable - rear disk brakes, an intercooler, and many more. I have worked on a couple of VWs and loved this flexibility.

Keep it up. Wishing you lakhs of happy km on the GT Tsi.
Old 19th April 2019, 10:27   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkr15 View Post
With due apologies to members of the GT forums I find it is becoming fashionable to curse and criticize the ASS of VW service centers. More often than not it is hearsay spread by word of mouth. I wish to make it clear that I am no supporter of VW ASS and make my own judgement based on what I have experienced..

Very true. I own Skoda and am yet to come across bad service at Skoda service center in Delhi.

Would rate Skoda services based on my experience in Delhi 3.5/5 at the time of writing this email.What future holds one never knows.

In same breath my DAD owns Maruti Swift and is fed-up with service in Delhi.
Old 19th April 2019, 15:18   #15
BANNED

Congratulations on the purchase. I find a real enthusiast in you, where you mentioned about the body roll and the soft suspension. People usually don’t understand this very specific thing, and crib only mostly on the terrific engine and DSG combo (yes, it is one among the best). Happy to know that you value the suspension too.

Nowhere in the review, have I read about the remap details. Could you please update on the same?
pavi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks