Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 2nd October 2019, 23:57   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default re: The Underdog! My Maruti-Suzuki Baleno RS EDIT: Sold after 3 years and 35k km

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaos636 View Post
But great to know the coil spring buffers are working well. Do you have anything in mind for sporty dampers ? I am not sure if people have tried any reputed dampers on RS.

The front brakes on the RS are different from normal Baleno and the pads cannot be interchanged. The normal Baleno pads cost around 2k INR and RS pads are around 4.7k INR.

The rear disc setup is the same as S-Cross and I thought the front was of Baleno itself, but its not. Its not of S-Cross's either. That's one thing I need to find out, so I can search for those part numbers in future in case the RS pads are out of stock..

Still doing some research on the dampers.
Most of the brands do not have an offering. The closest I got was a set of spring from H&R but that would lower the car by 30mm. I read somewhere of an RS that got Bilstien B3 srpings and B4 dampers installed. Link

I did replace both the front and rear brake pads.

The front brakepads of the Ertiga were a fit. I got a set of Motherson's pads installed that were meant for the Ertiga. Front brake pad replacement. (Shibujp's Maruti Baleno RS)

The rear brakepads I sourced from Boodmo. Got the OEM ones that are manufactured by TVS. Rear brake pad replacement. (Shibujp's Maruti Baleno RS)

Drive on,
Shibu

Last edited by shibujp : 2nd October 2019 at 23:59.
shibujp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2020, 09:15   #32
BHPian

Default re: The Underdog! My Maruti-Suzuki Baleno RS EDIT: Sold after 3 years and 35k km

34,000kms update
Driving has reduced considerably and kilometres are hard to come by. The car is looking and working good as always and have couple of updates to share.

Wheels
The stock wheels where changed to Momo Revenge 17 inch mated to 215/45/17 momo outrun M3 tires and have run around 25,000kms with the same. One noticeable improvement was better steering weight and improved handling compared to stock Apollo Alnac tires. Well this setup made it hard for the occupants on broken roads. The non existent Bangalore roads and the same showing no improvements other than shoddy patchworks were making things worse. I got a good offer from a friend who pitched in to buy my 17 inch wheels at a reasonable price. I knew this was my chance to take it and I took it. Tried to get Momo Revenge itself in 16 inch, but was unavailable in matte anthracite anywhere in Bangalore. Few new color options only. Second choice was AD wheels and the design I wanted too was hard to come by and dealers weren’t sure if they could get it in time for me. Hence decided to go with Momo Quantum 16 inch with Momo Outrun M3 tires(205/55/16), the same tires which I had on the Revenge and I am happy with my decision so far. The ride quality is much better now and I can take on the potholed roads at a higher speed than I used to take them, and most importantly, peace of mind!
The tires and wheels were procured by Madhus Tyre Center, Wilson Garden and they gave me a quote which was very pleasing. The road force balancing and alignment was also done from here. Overall the experience was nothing short of 5 stars. The in-charge that day, Mr.Mohsin was always responsive to my messages and gave me a better quote than some other dealers. He made sure he stayed with the car while assuring all the jobs were perfectly carried out.

The Underdog! My Maruti-Suzuki Baleno RS EDIT: Sold after 3 years and 35k km-d55e1d3f47f942e682c64b3c839100f4.jpeg
The Underdog! My Maruti-Suzuki Baleno RS EDIT: Sold after 3 years and 35k km-c53fd2b012164b5f9633adfd2edcd724.jpeg
The Underdog! My Maruti-Suzuki Baleno RS EDIT: Sold after 3 years and 35k km-9b40f996583046199921d28dc99b9dd7.jpeg
The Underdog! My Maruti-Suzuki Baleno RS EDIT: Sold after 3 years and 35k km-3d4309c1f0c8412280c8fd80160cdf26.jpeg
The Underdog! My Maruti-Suzuki Baleno RS EDIT: Sold after 3 years and 35k km-06b8302073f44eacb9da1cfbd8da1ac5.jpeg
The Underdog! My Maruti-Suzuki Baleno RS EDIT: Sold after 3 years and 35k km-91e5f2fe875648f1a8e49586fc9cd918.jpeg
The Underdog! My Maruti-Suzuki Baleno RS EDIT: Sold after 3 years and 35k km-25f5516088af4f988155140c69939c49.jpeg
The Underdog! My Maruti-Suzuki Baleno RS EDIT: Sold after 3 years and 35k km-3f9a84d923194ce5a76756490888b30e.jpeg

The 2015 Swift of my friend which runs on the 17 inch setup now.
The Underdog! My Maruti-Suzuki Baleno RS EDIT: Sold after 3 years and 35k km-04ff344a5efb49599d263cb6be3959eb.jpeg

Brakes
Front brake pad change was recommended at 30k by the service center during last service. It had life left in them, and I ran 4000kms more and decided to change them. Could have ran another 3-5k kms easily, but decided to take the call.
Now procuring the part. Went to a normal MASS in Bangalore and they were adamant that the pads were same as of Baleno 1.2/1.3. They did not have the part number as they had the old spare parts manual which did not include the RS. Heck, they did not even know there was a Turbo petrol available. More joke was when I told this to a mech and he too started arguing that Baleno has had only 2 engine options till I opened the bonnet and showed him the engine.
This was when the mech noticed the brakes and explained to the spare part manager that it looked different. They made a few calls to their Nexa service, got the part number and confirmed they have it in stock and I could get it the next day. They arranged the part and called me early next day to bring the car. I was assured I could stay with the car and the job would be completed in one hour. They kept their word and the car came out under the one hour mark. Job well done.
Priced around 1k higher than Baleno 1.2/1.3’s pads.

The Underdog! My Maruti-Suzuki Baleno RS EDIT: Sold after 3 years and 35k km-d7bfaf43fda349038807e3bc118d347b.jpeg

The Underdog! My Maruti-Suzuki Baleno RS EDIT: Sold after 3 years and 35k km-b6941192773849be95670b99c0cfe65e.jpeg

The old brake pad. Still had life left.
The Underdog! My Maruti-Suzuki Baleno RS EDIT: Sold after 3 years and 35k km-da49090fb30544d8bcf407c326a83354.jpeg

Comparison with new pad.
The Underdog! My Maruti-Suzuki Baleno RS EDIT: Sold after 3 years and 35k km-d644da14de0e473da65329e4d17b1e3f.jpeg

WePro Lug nuts
One thing which was long in my to-do list was lug nuts. I was comfortable with stock nuts, but some mechs weren’t. They would scratch the lug nut area while trying to remove the nuts. I wouldn’t blame them as the nuts were too big and went too deep inside after I changed the alloys. The brake pad change was a blessing in disguise, well, in a way as the mech managed to slip one of the nuts. I made a call to Madhus and they confirmed they had the WePro lug nuts in stock. 125mm is the size required for most Maruti’s and they have a variety of colors to chose from. I opted for matte black and the work was done in around 10-15 minutes. The good thing is it comes with a WePro gear key(what they call it) to remove the nuts. It should be easy to work on the wheels now as nuts can now be removed without scratching the alloys.

The stock lug nuts
The Underdog! My Maruti-Suzuki Baleno RS EDIT: Sold after 3 years and 35k km-3d15599f5f18464c845a5576fed4b56a.jpeg

The ‘slipped’ one
The Underdog! My Maruti-Suzuki Baleno RS EDIT: Sold after 3 years and 35k km-365341810170420a8daa921a3750e06b.jpeg

The WePro lug nuts specifications
The Underdog! My Maruti-Suzuki Baleno RS EDIT: Sold after 3 years and 35k km-537b71fb8f504a5cb881d5db8c9c5e77.jpeg

Well packed
The Underdog! My Maruti-Suzuki Baleno RS EDIT: Sold after 3 years and 35k km-d18f4584bc624c5eba415025155d4b43.jpeg

The ‘key’
The Underdog! My Maruti-Suzuki Baleno RS EDIT: Sold after 3 years and 35k km-6ba52d58c21747d989fa0c514877d559.jpeg

Final look
The Underdog! My Maruti-Suzuki Baleno RS EDIT: Sold after 3 years and 35k km-86990bfd4cb540b4a028751df23f4040.jpeg

Last edited by Xaos636 : 20th March 2020 at 09:16.
Xaos636 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th March 2020, 09:58   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

The brake pad has uneven wear. It's more worn at the top.The brake pads are binding. Suggest you get the caliper pins and guide holes cleaned of old grease and apply new grease.
sagarpadaki is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th March 2020, 13:03   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
The brake pad has uneven wear. It's more worn at the top.The brake pads are binding. Suggest you get the caliper pins and guide holes cleaned of old grease and apply new grease.
Yes have noticed it. And have done the said things as well. The pads came with 2 packs of grease. Will see again at the 40k service. Thanks for the headsup
Old 12th April 2020, 14:36   #35
BHPian

Congratulations on the car. A truly detailed and awesome review. I'm surprised with the way the VW guys behaved, I believe that things happen for the best. The car looks great in that color, and I'm not a big fan of after market alloy wheels but the ones you've put on are stunning to say the least.
Old 13th April 2020, 07:23   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMvW.Rajat View Post
Congratulations on the car. A truly detailed and awesome review. I'm surprised with the way the VW guys behaved, I believe that things happen for the best. The car looks great in that color, and I'm not a big fan of after market alloy wheels but the ones you've put on are stunning to say the least.
Thank You Rajat. All I am missing is an automatic gearbox now just because the better half is finding it difficult with the stick
Guess we are in the last ages with manuals as India is slowly and rapidly moving towards automatics, so perhaps this is the best time to enjoy a stick.

Last edited by Xaos636 : 13th April 2020 at 07:30.
Old 13th April 2020, 09:59   #37
BHPian

I was thinking that you could've considered the regular Baleno with an autobox but you had mentioned that you would be primarily using this on the highways and not in Bangalore, so it didn't matter too much. As for your better half, I know how you feel, my wife wants me to change our 4 year old Polo which has driven just 30k kms for the same reason.
BMvW.Rajat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2020, 10:41   #38
BHPian

Absolutely, I love manuals. But as you have said, sometimes we should give one ear to the other half too. As of now, the need isn't urgent as she does drive occasionally on highways only, but always mentions how easy things would be if it was an auto. She also mentioned getting something like a small auto car along with the RS so she can drive to office in Bangalore traffic, but parking constraints wouldn't let me do that. Plenty of options are available to park a second car on the road outside our apartment, but I just don't want to be a nuisance to anyone in anyway. Hence that idea was quickly out. So once the need becomes strong, I would need to act. Hope that doesn't happen anytime soon

Last edited by Xaos636 : 13th April 2020 at 10:44.
Old 18th June 2020, 21:13   #39
BHPian

Default Re: The Underdog! My Maruti-Suzuki Baleno RS has been SOLD!

Update: My Baleno RS, now sold!

The previous post hinted about a change, but never in my wildest dream thought it would come this quick !

Yes, you read that right. 3 years, 1 month was all I could do with the car. Most of us had postponed our car purchases thanks to the global pandemic and I being one person who did not have any car purchases(in mind) in the near future has pre-poned my plans as the need for an automatic was already here before I could think twice.

I might be one of those guys who was looking at the possibility of a new car thanks to Covid-19 because the fear of travelling in a public transport is higher than ever before and by the looks of it, this fear is going to stay with us for quite some time(Hope I am wrong here). Primary reason for the sale was wife's requirement to travel to and fro to office(she was using public transport till the pandemic hit) and as I explained before, she wasn't comfortable using a manual, especially in a city like Bangalore. This rang alarms earlier than expected and we have decided to trade in the RS for a Hyundai Venue DCT. Yes I know the issues of Dual clutches in traffic, and I believe we can discuss that later in another thread. For now, its a good bye to a trusted companion who was all trouble free from the date of purchase, served me well and comforted me all throughout, just a bit sad that Maruti Suzuki did not feel the same and pulled the plug on it. The car had 35k kms on the odo.

Last edited by Xaos636 : 18th June 2020 at 21:17.
Xaos636 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 14:00   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaos636 View Post
Update: My Baleno RS, now sold!
For now, its a good bye to a trusted companion who was all trouble free from the date of purchase, served me well and comforted me all throughout, just a bit sad that Maruti Suzuki did not feel the same and pulled the plug on it. The car had 35k kms on the odo.
Sorry to see a fellow traveller clock out. Great to read you had a good experience with it and I agree. I never have a problem motivating myself to wheel the RS out of the garage even for short grocery runs inspite of having an i10 AT parked outside.

All the best with the new 1.0 turbo petrol. From your ownership thread it's off to a good innings!

Drive on,
Shibu
shibujp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 16:06   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
Sorry to see a fellow traveller clock out. Great to read you had a good experience with it and I agree. I never have a problem motivating myself to wheel the RS out of the garage even for short grocery runs inspite of having an i10 AT parked outside.

All the best with the new 1.0 turbo petrol. From your ownership thread it's off to a good innings!

Drive on,
Shibu
Thank you Shibu. I can see you are also doing healthy numbers on the odo and I hope you reach the 1Lakh milestone soon. The 1.0 Boosterjet has to be one of the best engines made available in India and I so wish the Boosterjet 1.4 comes to India, as for any kind of upgrade from the 1.0, there is nothing in the Maruti stable that feels better.
Xaos636 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed