Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2019, 01:49   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Rooh: Mercedes-Benz C300d AMG Line!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akunchala View Post
The next set of tyres I'm going to put on my car are definitely not run-flats and definitely not Bridgestone's.
Mercedes supplies C300d with RFT?

I thought only BMW cars are supplied with RFT.

Trust me, having lost 3 RFT tyres this year; I would any day prefer RFT over normal tubeless.

Car can be driven even if tyre goes completely flat. I had to drive car sometimes 2 kms to reach a safe spot since I do a lot of touring.

Had it been tubeless, I did have to stop at unknown place.

I have used Pirelli Cinturato P7 and Bridgestone Turanza T001I and latter is preferred.

Only other option left is Michelin P3ST ZP tyres.

Lastly carry space saver without fail. Reduce luggage but not worth risk getting stranded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
My advice to all RFT car owners who want to protect their tyres : Maintain pressures equal to or slightly higher than what is recommended by the manufacturer.
BMW X1 recommends 32 PSI all round. Believe me if I fill lower, ride suffers.

Fill 32 PSi and car just glides over tarmac.

Last edited by Aditya : 10th November 2020 at 21:56. Reason: Typo
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 10:30   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Mercedes supplies C300d with RFT?

I thought only BMW cars are supplied with RFT.
Yup, 225/45/R18 RFTs in the front and 245/40/R18 RFTs in the rear. Bridgestone Turanzas.

Quote:
Trust me, having lost 3 RFT tyres this year; I would any day prefer RFT over normal tubeless.

Car can be driven even if tyre goes completely flat. I had to drive car sometimes 2 kms to reach a safe spot since I do a lot of touring.
That is true. But the unavailability of tyres is definitely a big issue. I scouted for tyres in 4 big cities across India and nobody had them. Had to depend on Mercedes sourcing them. I also feel that the low profile of the tyres combined with RFT's stiffness on Indian road conditions is a dangerous combo. Maybe on your X1, because of the side profile being bigger, the ride isnt as harsh.

Quote:
Lastly carry space saver without fail. Reduce luggage but not worth risk getting stranded.
learned about it the hard way!
Old 9th September 2019, 13:56   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yup, 225/45/R18 RFTs in the front and 245/40/R18 RFTs in the rear. Bridgestone Turanzas.
Side wall is just 101.25 mm front and 98 mm rear; which is pretty less.

My Vento with 112 mm used to feel less and X1 has 123.75.

Can you check which Model of Turanza RFT came with C300d?

X1 comes with Turanza T001I which are touring tyres meant for sedans.

Quote:
But the unavailability of tyres is definitely a big issue. I scouted for tyres in 4 big cities across India and nobody had them. Had to depend on Mercedes sourcing them. I also feel that the low profile of the tyres combined with RFT's stiffness on Indian road conditions is a dangerous combo. Maybe on your X1, because of the side profile being bigger, the ride isnt as harsh.
Its simple rule of demand and supply. I doubt any vendor will ever stock this size since sales will be NIL.

I would suggest you to switch over to tubeless to get better comfort and save on tyres going bust due to stiffer side walls. Could also change over to squared setup from staggered setup. 225 45 R18 all round.

One suggestion be use recommended tyre pressure.

Lastly does Mercedes has any insurance for tyres? Like BMW Secure allows 4 tyres every year paying depreciation as per tyre tread level left?
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 13:14   #34
BHPian

Quote:

Can you check which Model of Turanza RFT came with C300d?
For some reason, I mentioned Turanza in my previous post. They are actually Potenza S001s. Performance Radial tyre with a speed rating of 91Y.

Quote:
I would suggest you to switch over to tubeless to get better comfort and save on tyres going bust due to stiffer side walls. Could also change over to squared setup from staggered setup. 225 45 R18 all round.
Yea, as I mentioned earlier, when I swap the tyres at EOL, I will look to change over to tubeless tyres until and unless I hear a very strong reason as to why I shouldn't.

Quote:
One suggestion be use recommended tyre pressure.
Always. Even though the recommended pressures are significantly higher than usual - with up to 2 passengers @ 38 PSI and under full load @ 40 PSI, I top them up whenever I go in a refuel with Nitrogen.

Quote:
Lastly does Mercedes has any insurance for tyres? Like BMW Secure allows 4 tyres every year paying depreciation as per tyre tread level left?
Unfortunately, no. I had to pay for the last sidewall crack as the car had covered more than 10k KMs by then. They charged me 24k for the tyre!
Old 10th September 2019, 17:06   #35

Booked the New 2019 C 300d Night package with Wireless Charging, Fully Digital Instrument Cluster, MidLine Sound System, Black Coloured AMG Wheels in August End. Will be getting the car in October 1st week most probably. Will update along with the upgrades as well. Enjoy your Sleeper
Jan Cajee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 17:25   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Cajee View Post
Booked the New 2019 C 300d Night package with Wireless Charging, Fully Digital Instrument Cluster, MidLine Sound System, Black Coloured AMG Wheels in August End. Will be getting the car in October 1st week most probably. Will update along with the upgrades as well. Enjoy your Sleeper
Awesome! Congratulations and welcome to Team-BHP! Of the list of upgrades, I will miss having the full digital instrument cluster. I am actually chatting with the tech team at Mercedes Service Center in Hyderabad to retrofit the cluster on to my car! I have seen a few videos of them being just a plug and play but need to confirm.
Old 11th September 2019, 11:30   #37

Quote:
Awesome! Congratulations and welcome to Team-BHP! Of the list of upgrades, I will miss having the full digital instrument cluster. I am actually chatting with the tech team at Mercedes Service Center in Hyderabad to retrofit the cluster on to my car! I have seen a few videos of them being just a plug and play but need to confirm.
I have heard about that as well. if the MB guys can do it without voiding the warranty then it might be a tempting proposition.
Old 1st November 2019, 09:15   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzledMoose View Post
Since it happened for both of us it looks like bad batch of tyres
The same thing happened to me. I’m got my new C300D this Dussehra with the upgraded digital console and night package. The car has hardly done 2000km and I got it on a road trip to Goa. Every time I drive it on these roads I feel that although the handling and electronics are top notch, our roads are not capable to handle such smooth machines.
Anyway, while I was returning to my hotel in Morjim last night, I stopped at a convenience store and as I got into the car, the console displayed a warning message “Check Tyres”. The pressure on the left front kept going down from 215 to 55. Just prior to stopping at the store, the car had made it through a speed bump at around 30km/hr.
I’m not staring at the prospect of availing the taxi service of Merc back to Bombay while they tow my car and replace the damaged tyre. I type this as I anxiously wait for Mercedes Help while my dream road trip is almost in shambles. I have hope though that Mercedes Goa can replace the tyre in the same day and I can still continue my journey as was planned.
hitman_reloaded is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2019, 23:17   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman_reloaded View Post
The same thing happened to me.

I have hope though that Mercedes Goa can replace the tyre in the same day and I can still continue my journey as was planned.
I'm sorry to hear what you had to go through. What happened after you posted the update? Did Mercedes help you out? which tyre was this - front or the rear?
Old 6th November 2019, 10:27   #40

Quote:
I'm sorry to hear what you had to go through. What happened after you posted the update? Did Mercedes help you out? which tyre was this - front or the rear?
It was the Front Left Tyre. The tyres were not available in Goa nor in Maharashtra so they had to ship one from Delhi. In the meanwhile Mercedes ORA arranged for us to fly back to Bombay while the car is still at the Mercedes dealer in Goa who have now fitted the tyre and would be putting the car on a tow van and sending it back to me. Hush... all this hassle for one tyre!
But since you and someone else on this thread had the problem with the same Front Left tyre, I feel there might be something more to the issue than is what meeting the eye. Hard to fathom three unlucky co-incidences like that.
Old 6th November 2019, 20:23   #41
BHPian

Quote:
But since you and someone else on this thread had the problem with the same Front Left tyre, I feel there might be something more to the issue than is what meeting the eye. Hard to fathom three unlucky co-incidences like that.
Damn! I agree. It looks like the entire batch were a lemon.

side note: I just happend to have a look at your profile and looks like we have an uncanny similarity in the cars we own. Except for the Freelander 2, I have the same set of cars!

Last edited by akunchala : 6th November 2019 at 20:26.
Old 15th November 2019, 18:42   #42

Quote:
Damn! I agree. It looks like the entire batch were a lemon.

side note: I just happend to have a look at your profile and looks like we have an uncanny similarity in the cars we own. Except for the Freelander 2, I have the same set of cars!
Uncanny as you put it aptly!!
So far my experience of owning the C-300D makes me cringe about the pathetic roads that we have to drive it on. The dynamics of the car are so not meant for Indian road conditions. Also mine comes with a new buzzer system apparently mandatory on all cars going on production after 31st July 2019. The car keeps constantly buzzing giving a warning upon crossing 120kp/h on the speedo. It’s so annoying. Makes absolutely no sense in buying a 250BHP powered car if you cannot take it beyond 120kp/h.
Old 18th November 2019, 09:39   #43
BHPian

Quote:
The car keeps constantly buzzing giving a warning upon crossing 120kp/h on the speedo. It’s so annoying. Makes absolutely no sense in buying a 250BHP powered car if you cannot take it beyond 120kp/h.
Have you tried speaking to Mercedes tech about disabling it? I am sure that there will be a workaround for this issue.
Old 18th November 2019, 14:12   #44

Quote:
Have you tried speaking to Mercedes tech about disabling it? I am sure that there will be a workaround for this issue.
I have and so far they have not been very positive about it.. But there is always the hope that it can be done. Do post me if you find a way around this.
Old 19th November 2019, 11:46   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Do post me if you find a way around this.
I, fortunately, do not have this annoying feature enabled on my car. so no beeps!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks