Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 11th May 2020, 21:04   #31

Default Re: Black Magic - My Škoda Octavia RS 245

Joxster, I haven’t posted here in years since I moved to the states but just found the perfect post to get back to the forum. Firstly, congrats on getting a great car! This car honestly has my heart. It pains me to no end that they don’t have Skoda in America. Honesty, in my opinion Skodas are better looking that their German cousins. This will be the first car I’d buy if I went back to India. I hear my 2004 Octavia is still under wraps and being taken care of back home! Wish you many happy miles with your black magic!
Shadowbane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2020, 19:54   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowbane View Post
Joxster, I haven’t posted here in years since I moved to the states but just found the perfect post to get back to the forum. Firstly, congrats on getting a great car! This car honestly has my heart. It pains me to no end that they don’t have Skoda in America. Honesty, in my opinion Skodas are better looking that their German cousins. This will be the first car I’d buy if I went back to India. I hear my 2004 Octavia is still under wraps and being taken care of back home! Wish you many happy miles with your black magic!

Thanks mate, and welcome back! Your post made me realize that I haven't updated the thread in quite sometime, but that's because there really isn't anything to post about, haha. The car has been running just fine.

Yeah, it's sad that Skoda is not sold over there. Their cars are very VFM. Nice to hear that your old one is being maintained in India though.

P.S: I haven't named my car. Black Magic is just the official name of the color of my car, and it coincided with exactly what Skoda did with this car, hence the title of my thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
Sometimes I face issues with it while using Apple CarPlay – My phone just gets disconnected. I am using an iPhone 6S with the latest iOS installed, and have the Lightning cable provided by Škoda. My first suspicion was with the cable, so I tried it with an original Apple cable, but the same thing happened. After some research online, I read somewhere that it can happen if your phone is not rebooted too regularly, so I started rebooting my phone more often, and sure enough, the problem reduced a lot, but never entirely went away. Since this could possibly be an issue with the phone, and not with the head-unit, I am giving it some benefit of the doubt.
So, this problem has been plaguing me a lot recently. I upgraded to an iPhone 8 in the meantime, and the issue only seems to have gotten worse. The service advisor at the service center told me that many other customers are also facing this issue, and that Apple is not really interested in working with Skoda to solve this issue. There are no software updates since I got the car either.

I recently contacted Skoda customer service about it, and they told me that technical issues need to be raised to Skoda's technical team by the service center, and they also asked me to confirm with the service center that no updates were available for my infotainment system. This whole process got slowed down due to the pandemic. However, I got confirmation from the service center this morning that there are no updates available for my infotainment system, and that they raised the issue to Skoda's technical team. So now I bounced the ball back to Skoda's customer service.

Let's see what happens. Zero expectations honestly...

Cheers
Old 27th June 2020, 18:34   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
So, this problem has been plaguing me a lot recently. I upgraded to an iPhone 8 in the meantime, and the issue only seems to have gotten worse. The service advisor at the service center told me that many other customers are also facing this issue, and that Apple is not really interested in working with Skoda to solve this issue. There are no software updates since I got the car either.

I recently contacted Skoda customer service about it, and they told me that technical issues need to be raised to Skoda's technical team by the service center, and they also asked me to confirm with the service center that no updates were available for my infotainment system. This whole process got slowed down due to the pandemic. However, I got confirmation from the service center this morning that there are no updates available for my infotainment system, and that they raised the issue to Skoda's technical team. So now I bounced the ball back to Skoda's customer service.

Let's see what happens. Zero expectations honestly...
Update: I am very happy to report that the issues with Apple CarPlay seem to be permanently fixed now!

Skoda's customer service team repeatedly tried redirecting me to the dealership, and stopped responding to my emails after sometime. The dealership told me multiple times that there were no updates for the infotainment system in my car. Due to the fact that their customer service team stopped responding to me, I had written to the CEO of Skoda - Bernhard Maier about my problem. Their customer service team got very responsive with me almost immediately after that. It's a real pity that I needed to escalate things in the first place though.

On the insistence of the customer service team, I booked a checkup with my service center to examine the car on the 8th of June. I was honestly expecting them to take 30 minutes, check and tell me that there are no updates for the car, based on the fact that they told me this multiple times verbally, over email and also over the phone in the past. I was so confident about this in fact, that I didn't ask for a loaner car, because I figured that I would just stand outside for 30-60 minutes and wait to get my car back.
Imagine my surprise when after landing up at the service center that morning, they told me that the Skoda technical team wants to take direct control of the troubleshooting in my car, and that I would need a loaner car. I was honestly very happy to hear this!

I was given a Skoda Scala diesel as a loaner, and went on my way back home. I patiently waited till the evening to hear back from them, but heard nothing. Ditto the next day as well, which had me thinking that they were being very thorough with their troubleshooting. On the 10th of June, I finally received a call from the service center that I could come and pick up my car. Apparently, it was ready on the same day I dropped it off, and the service advisor tried to reach me over the phone, but got to voicemail - I never received any kind of voicemail or notification from them though.
I got going to the service center right after I hung up, and reached very quickly. I was told that they had updated the software to the latest, and tested for a couple of hours with someone's iPhone X, and it was working fine. Now, it's very important for me to note that on the morning I was taking the car to the service center, I swapped the official Skoda supplied lightning cable with an original Apple lightning cable and faced no issues on the way to drop off my car at the service center - all the testing they did was using the Apple cable. The Skoda lightning cable was also left in the car in case they wanted to use it.
As if to add insult to injury, the service advisor then tells me that Skoda releases software updates all the time, and they usually just install those during the routine service of the car (which is once every 2 years or 30k kilometres). I was annoyed as hell to hear this, because he had repeatedly told me that there were no updates for my car all this time. I hid my annoyance about it however, because I didn't think anything good could come out of confronting him about it. He wasn't apologetic about it either.

As I was driving away from the service center, I was thinking about the fact that they probably did all of their testing using my Apple lightning cable and thought - let me try the Skoda supplied lightning cable. I plugged it in and connected my phone, and then it disconnected almost instantly, and I knew where most of this problem was all along.

To summarize the issues:
  1. Frequent disconnects of my phone from Apple CarPlay - this seems to have been mostly caused by the faulty Skoda supplied lightning cable, and mostly fixed by using the official Apple lightning cable, however, when I tried the official Apple cable in the past, my phone still disconnected, so it seems to have also been partly due to the software. It was this that caused me to believe that the Skoda cable was fine in the past
  2. My iPhone would frequently not work through Apple CarPlay despite being connected correctly. It would detect the phone, but wouldn't allow me to use it through CarPlay. I would normally have to reboot the infotainment system 1-2 times to make CarPlay work - this seems to have been fixed with the new software update
  3. My infotainment system would reboot itself while using Apple CarPlay - this was happening occasionally, so I'm not sure if this is entirely fixed, but it hasn't happened since the firmware update. I'm not using my car as often as I was before due to the pandemic situation, so I consider this to be resolved

All is well that ends well. My learning takeaway from this whole issue is to never trust the service center again. If there's a problem, take the car there physically, and leave it with them until they solve the problem. I'm once again happy with my car, and that's a great feeling!

Cheers

Last edited by Joxster : 27th June 2020 at 18:40.
Joxster is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed