Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2019, 12:23   #16
BHPian

Re: My experience with one of the most hated, least selling cars in India : The Renault Captur

First of all congratulations on your new car. You have described everything so honestly that I felt like being there with you while you were taking those decisions. It is most unfortunate that you had to do through such ordeal for a moment which should bring only joy and satisfaction. I am all too glad that it worked out for you in the end but I also have few questions:

1. Did you not research before deciding on Captur?

2. We had to bring down our sun films in matter of days after the court ruling. Is it different in Chennai or it's a case of cops being lenient?

3. Did you pay for new tyres? Why? & what happened to the old tyres? Why did you pay specially after it was proven that their machinery was defective and nothing wrong with car?
RajeevSharma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2019, 12:30   #17
BHPian

Re: My experience with one of the most hated, least selling cars in India : The Renault Captur

A wonderful thread and glad that you followed the issue till the end.

Being a former (Renault) Logan owner and a car that was very frugal in drinking as well as maintenance, I was considering the Captur for a brief period. Though I was okay with the looks something did not click / tug.

You are spot on with respect to your observations WRT Renault India. They need to aim for volumes to survive. Maybe their exports are good and will work on a model similar to GM when sales hit rock bottom.
pugram is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th June 2019, 13:09   #18
BHPian

Reading your ordeal made feel sorry enough, for you to have gone through this deserves a special appreciation for patience.. for the SA/ manager to say it always pulls to the left like some special feature tops it all.. I wouldnt touch products from Renault, Nissan and any other manufacturer that does small numbers post my experience with owning a chevy beat.. there is a heavy loser vibe and they distinctly give you the feeling that they couldn't care less..
charanreddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2019, 13:09   #19
Senior - BHPian

Hi Congratulations on your car, it looks great.

Sorry to ask you some difficult questions at this point when you are enjoying your drive with the issue fixed.

1) Could it be that they have set the toe on the left tyre to toe in and hence the pull has stopped? It could probably start the second you get the alignment done, I mean, this won't be a fix if this is done, I would advice you to get an alignment report from them while you are there and see what has been done, don't ask them to change anything but just the report so that you know what has been done if anything with respect to alignment has been done.
humyum is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 10th June 2019, 13:20   #20
BHPian

That was unabashedly, one of the most honest ownership reviews of the Captur I've read so far. Ever so often, we wonder why such internationally dominant brands like Nissan and Renault fail in our market. This review should be printed out, e-mailed or even read out in person to whoever is at the top of running things at Renault India.

If they have any intention to do actual business in our country rather than playing possum, they need to listen to what their limited number of customers are saying.
jailbird_fynix is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th June 2019, 13:56   #21
BHPian

I loved this review. It complemented the official review superbly because of snippets like these:
Quote:
It is partly true, but there is a separate LED for the cornering light. The review also mentions that the cornering lamps, light up in the direction of the steering. That is true, but additionally, the cornering lamps get activated when the indicators are turned on too.
Congratulations and wish you many happy and pain-free miles with the car.
Quote:
The vehicle did not pull to the left at all.
Did you figure out what they did to fix the issue? Would be of immense help to other prospective buyers.
Quote:
Technical team from Renault had asked us to educate the customers that the vehicle is designed to pull to the left, so that the customer stays alert and does not sleep while driving
Aah, so it seems Mercedes R&D have learnt at the feet of the Renault masters to come up with their Attention Assist. Just when you think you've seen it all. I am willing to bet money that this company will not see the end of the next decade in India.
Iyencar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th June 2019, 16:32   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Thank you @MadrasTurbo for sharing your experience with so much detail and most critically a summary. For your first thread this is a solid compliment. Sorry to hear of your travails.
Thank you, sir. It is great to be complimented by a distinguished BHPian.

Quote:
Dear Readers, Safety + Reliability + After Sales Support in my opinion ought be the three first line criterion for selecting a car.
I completely agree with you. These three were my main criteria too. Safety wise, the car is very well equipped. The K9K with the B0, though old, is reliable. After Sales Support is what I took for granted. Though like I mentioned in my post, it was an aspect in my mind, and that is why I took the test drive from one dealer, and booked the car from another dealer. Thanks for your valuable inputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepakS View Post
An aftermarket Android head unit won't have Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. Since the system itself is Android based, there'd be no Android Auto.
Hi Deepak, well this is true, but what you need is a dongle to enable Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. It connects to one of the two USB ports of the head unit and works like a charm. Link to the product - here

PhoneLink is pathetic in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aafaq View Post
It can really be frustrating to go through such an ordeal with a brand new car, glad that the issue has been resolved!
How does such cars pass the quality check?
For me it would certainly affect my contentment with the car..
I had the exact same doubt. I even demanded for the PDI documents, which I was provided with and guess what? Alignment check is not a part of the PDI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeevSharma View Post
1. Did you not research before deciding on Captur?
I did a lot of research and honestly, I knew exactly what I was buying. I even checked with people who were involved during the R&D of the car and they all vouched for the product. Also, as I had mentioned, a lot of Captur owners love the car. Anyone who has spent 15L+, would never recommend another buyer to make the same mistake. Honestly, after driving the car for almost 3500KMs, within a month, I am extremely happy with the car.

Quote:
2. We had to bring down our sun films in matter of days after the court ruling. Is it different in Chennai or it's a case of cops being lenient?
Cops do fine for sunfilm in Chennai. I have no intentions of keeping the film forever. It came as a package(with the coating), so my plan is to remove them, whenever I get fined.

Quote:
3. Did you pay for new tyres? Why? & what happened to the old tyres? Why did you pay specially after it was proven that their machinery was defective and nothing wrong with car?
No, I have not paid a single penny. I meant, people who get their wheels aligned at the service center should not pay for alignment without getting the alignment report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
1) Could it be that they have set the toe on the left tyre to toe in ....know what has been done if anything with respect to alignment has been done.
I had this doubt too. All the alignment parameters were within tolerance. And since toe is completely adjustable, it was set correct. Even assuming this to be true,or if they had done something else with the alignment, the tyre would wear very unevenly. That is why I had all the tyres checked for wear after driving for a few thousand KMS, and the wear as of now is even. I will continue to monitor the tyre wear. As I had mentioned, I was offered the alignment report. Will try to attach it during my next service visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyencar View Post
I loved this review.

Did you figure out what they did to fix the issue? Would be of immense help to other prospective buyers.
I will try my best to confirm what exact part was changed, but I am pretty convinced they have changed the steering column and the Knuckle Joint that connects the axle. The ex-RNIPL R&D employee suggested this at the beginning itself and was so sure this would completely solve the issue, but Renault took their own sweet time to figure it out I suppose.
MadrasTurbo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th June 2019, 17:32   #23
BHPian

Thanks for sharing your experience. I feel sad for how the ordinary customer is treated by the auto majors. I'm a non-engineer and when it comes to trusting others, quite non-confrontational and would've probably walked away with the dealer's assurances of the problem being solved and then lived with a defective car.

When I bought my first car, the thought of a PDI never occurred to me and when I got expedited delivery (1 month) compared to the waiting period (3 months) quoted to me by the dealer, I was more than happy to take the car after all the payments made, registration completed et all. When I took delivery, I noticed the bonnet mis-aligned and even to an un-trained novice like me, the panel gaps looked majorly uneven. The sales executive just shrugged and said 'it's a Maruti!'.
Mlanuk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2019, 18:27   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepakS View Post
An aftermarket Android head unit won't have Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. Since the system itself is Android based, there'd be no Android Auto.
What you'd get would be an Android Auto app on your Head Unit which would work independent of your phone. It would just need internet.
The only way to interact with your phone via your Head Unit would be with
"PhoneLINK" app which would have to be installed on your Head Unit as well as on your phone.
I recently was in search for a head unit for my Creta, and found out the above facts after a lot of Google research.
You can get wired and wireless Android auto on the aftermarket Android head units from China. There are several ways to do this, one of the most famous option is :
Head unit reloaded(https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...xy.hr&hl=en_US)

There are even options to enable apple car play. In units such as (https://www.joyingauto.com) Name is a bit odd
ramkris is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2019, 20:10   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you @MadrasTurbo for sharing your experience with so much detail and most critically a summary. For your first thread this is a solid compliment. Sorry to hear of your travails.

Dear Readers, Safety + Reliability + After Sales Support in my opinion ought be the three first line criterion for selecting a car which after all for most of us is the 2nd largest asset after the house. We would usually not invest in a house simply because of the looks or paintwork or advertising B.S. of the builder. Same for cars.

After having owned about a dozen cars over 40 years of driving my unasked for advice to all our young members would be - first list your brands by Safety, Reliability and A.S.S. then pick a model within that short list which suits your tastes, needs and budget. If the three primary criterion are not met satisfactorily little else counts.
Sir - with due respects, if we apply the rule objectively, we would be unable to go beyond Toyota. It would start and end there - with the lone exception of some models from the Maruti stable and Honda City. None of the Germans / Czech would ever make it to the list. To each his own I would say

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailbird_fynix View Post
That was unabashedly, one of the most honest ownership reviews of the Captur I've read so far. Ever so often, we wonder why such internationally dominant brands like Nissan and Renault fail in our market. This review should be printed out, e-mailed or even read out in person to whoever is at the top of running things at Renault India.

If they have any intention to do actual business in our country rather than playing possum, they need to listen to what their limited number of customers are saying.
Renault Nissan has some great cars that it does not bring to India simply because we are perceived as low-end ... Leaf is a prime case in point. Captur is a popular car in the UK, not sure if it faces similar issues in UK as well.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 10th June 2019 at 20:43. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote option (QUOTE+) while quoting and responding to multiple posts. Thanks.
INNOVATOR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2019, 20:41   #26
BHPian

Congratulations on the new possession.

It sounds really bad for issues in a new car and the way they were handled initially by service center guys. The statement where they explicitly mention that it happens with all cars is very annoying.
Old 11th June 2019, 12:01   #27
BHPian

Thanks for sharing. Nicely written thread and hats off to your patience. After reading through your experience it gives a feeling of an unprofessional and intimidating environment the industries are heading upto (it can happen in any industry). It demonstrates the leakages in the entire supply chain where a defective product reaches till the end customer. It gives a feeling how helpless a customer can be in situations where you have already paid awaiting only in anticipation. What adds to the frustration is the time it takes to fix the issue. Does it show lack of expertise or lack of professionalism in handling such issues ? All these are MNC’s with the same or similar models running in other countries. Pleased that the best possible outcome is accomplished.
Old 11th June 2019, 13:38   #28
BHPian

Congratulations Madras Turbo on your new steed while I am really sorry for your troubles with the left pull. Got to appreciate your persistence !.

Enjoyed reading your thread and must tell you I felt I was in your shoes all the while.

Could you also comment on high speed stability and braking effectiveness of the Captur? I read through twice and I didn't find it , apologize if I missed it.

Captur is one of those underdog cars in the Indian market but a good car which Renault managed to botch up with their marketing and may be even pricing. Personally I find most of the cars that don't sell well in India to be actually quite superior than the chart busters.

Here's wishing you many many miles of safe , trouble free and fun filled mile munching.
The Observer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2019, 09:31   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Observer View Post
Could you also comment on high speed stability and braking effectiveness of the Captur? I read through twice and I didn't find it , apologize if I missed it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadrasTurbo View Post
The vehicle does speeds upto 160Kmph(have not pushed further) without breaking a sweat and is an excellent choice if you do a lot of highway runs.
Regarding Braking performance, it is adequate and stays planted during hard braking. Nothing exceptional.

I thank everyone for patiently going through the thread and honestly, I did not expect this reach for my first thread. Thank you for your support.

Update: Android Head Unit Fitted. First impressions: Extremely Satisfied. Will update with a detailed post here, after a few days.
MadrasTurbo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2019, 15:19   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadrasTurbo View Post

[*]Turning Off A/C
The A.C.C. does not have any ways of turning it off. You have to manually set the blower speed to 0, to turn off the A/C. How difficult is it to keep a button to turn off the A/C? Even a simple toggle button would have worked.
In the picture above i do see an A/C off button, is the pic from the 2019 model or am i missing something?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks