Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2019, 09:44   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: From the first to last (possibly) iteration - My VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by chase_nt View Post
Yes, i remember. I also remember you saying that you didnt know whether you should congratulate me for the milestone or millimeter pebble when i posted a photo of my cars odometer reading at 1000 kms which it reached after 13 months of ownership.
Thank you chase_nt and it is a bit embarrassing to read my own quote now buddy

Your car swaps is still legendary on the forum I guess, as I have not come across another post where a BHPian has bought 3 cars in quick succession, of which 2 cars are essentially the same!!

Quote:
Allow me to point out a few more inequities compared to the first generation GT
* Replacing the dual horn with a single horn.
* Oil sump protection is completely absent (First gen GT's had a plastic protective cover).
* Spare wheel is no longer an alloy.
Couldn't possibly agree more with your findings. The biggest (probably the dumbest) exclusion was to replace the dual horn with a single one. That dual horn is the soul of VAG cars, so much so that more often than not, it is referred to as the "Skoda Horn"!! Apparently, it is some sort of motor regulation.

Oil sump removal was a blatant disgust, but the omission of an alloy for spare wheel was sort of murky. I remember that some of the 1.6 GT owners were also provided with a regular spare wheel, while only the lucky few actually got the Estrada 15" rim, me being one of those lucky ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Congrats on your new purchase. I can't think of driving myself those 1.5/1.6L petrol again-Period.
Thank you PrideRed.

At 305HP and V6, you are pretty much in a league of your own when its comes to owning a performance car, but I completely agree to your view that the diesel torque on open roads and driveabliity on city streets is divine. I am not a boy racer by any means, but I just crave for that grunt every time I put my foot down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrad View Post
Hey Vikram,
Congrats on the GT.
With each passing day, I have noticed the negative effects of localisation on Polo (guess it'd be applicable to Vento & Rapid as well). The quality & solid feeling of certain interior trims have come down in the newer batches compared to the earlier ones.
Than you BigBrad.

Exactly my observations. Heck, even my wife pointed out to these downfalls, who otherwise seems quite oblivious to such stuffs !!

Quote:
Although it may seem like they have added lot of features over time to keep the car relevant, I think it's still not on par with competition in certain areas. Polo still doesn't get 6 airbags, ISOFIX seats, HID/LED headlamps, a modern MID (at least the one that was available on Jetta, is it too much to ask?) etc. I don't see any drastic changes in this regard from VW in the immediate future either.
+1 on these things. So here is what I am pondering over:

I bought my 1.6 GT for ~9.5 lakhs OTR back in 2014, when the 1.2 TDI Highline was ~8.5 lakhs OTR. VW claimed the price difference was due to the 1.6 motor and the corresponding tax....fair enough.
I buy 1.5 GT in 2019 for ~11.5 lakhs OTR, and the 1.5 TDI Highline Plus is ~11.1 lakhs OTR. Where have the tax benefits disappeared?
Other than few lame cosmetic updates and some ridiculous exclusions, the Polo I bought 5 years back is still the same car today.

Quote:
I think you should upgrade the brakes right away. The stock brakes simply aren't enough even for my humble 90PS TDI.

Looking forward to your updates and wish you many more happy miles.
Yes sir, that is one of the "MUST DO" thing on my list of essentials updates. I really loved the Yokohoma DBS on my previous car as they offered a great combo of performance and comfort. Also, I had swapped the brakes on my GT 1.6 to a German rotors and Bosch pads. These were done at around 40k kms, and were a delight through my ownership.

I will keep this thread updated as and when I go ahead with these swaps.
Vik0728 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2019, 22:57   #32
BHPian

Lovely comparison. I had no idea of all those differences the 1.6 had to the 1.5.
I am liking the racier front of the Older TDI than the current one. I had always felt that the chrome on the front bumber was unwanted. I will see if I can paint that black or orange.

But, for the hatch lovers like us, wherever the market goes, all we want is a hatch. There are tons of problems, the hatches have, but we can easily get over them.

And, after seeing the hatches evolve, I feel, 10 years down, you still might end up buying the 43rd edition of Polo
vinya_jag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2019, 12:42   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Thank you chase_nt and it is a bit embarrassing to read my own quote now buddy

Your car swaps is still legendary on the forum I guess, as I have not come across another post where a BHPian has bought 3 cars in quick succession, of which 2 cars are essentially the same!!
I thought it was pretty witty and I hope you have a witty quip when I post a photo of the 1000 km odometer reading of my 2018 GT. Currently its stuck in the low 900's Well at least the swap of those 4 cars happened between 2013-2018 which is over a period of 5 years but I am 100% sure that I can never surpass 2003 because that was the year when my car ownership saga began and I ended up swapping 3 cars over a 6 month period and that is truly insane. I also know that I will be holding onto the current GT for quite a while as its just a matter of time before VW introduce the 1.0 L turbocharged 3 cylinder engine mated to the DSG to replace the 1.2 L in the current GT TSI and if there's one thing I hate its a watered down version of an engine which has 3 cylinders instead of 4.
chase_nt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 09:15   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't know how I missed this thread but only when you replied to my ownership thread I saw your DP and searched for this!

"Welcome to the GT club"
Very few like me get a chance to welcome a person to the same club to which he had welcomed me some time ago

When you had sent me a message that you are selling your Red GT I very well remember that I had replied saying "I'm interested in it's replacement".
You have just gone down by 100cc

Wish you lot many miles!
This may probably not just be the last iteration of the GT TDI but probably your last ICE car too!
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 11:17   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats! That's quite an interesting tale. Goes to show that despite its age the Polo GT is still one of the most competent cars in its segment. If rear seat space isn't high on the criteria list, the Polo GT twins are very hard to ignore. I really think you should have gone for the GT TSI this time .

Welcome to the double Polo club
Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 12:36   #36
Senior - BHPian

Guys I have been too held up with some personal crisis/commitments and have had absolutely no time to even drive my car. So I basically have nothing to report for now.

I am hoping things improve in a week's time and I get to put in a lot more miles in my new GT, so that I can share all my findings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chase_nt View Post

I thought it was pretty witty and I hope you have a witty quip when I post a photo of the 1000 km odometer reading of my 2018 GT. I also know that its just a matter of time before VW introduce the 1.0 L turbocharged 3 cylinder engine mated to the DSG to replace the 1.2 L in the current GT TSI.
I'm quite humbled that you felt it that way buddy, and it's good to know that although your cars have changed a many, your driving still remains rock solidly consistent!!

If getting the GT TSI from 1.2 to 1.0 was bad in itself, I was quite shocked to read that VW may very well do away with the GT TDI altogether due to the BS 6 regulation. I was already feeling quite let down for having sold that elusive 1.6 GT TDI, and would have probably not loved owning another car had I let the last chance to own the GT TDI again, albeit with a 1.5 TDI engine. With VW Indian innings, I am pretty sure that they will take another few face-lifts/iterations before the global version of the Polo comes here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post

"Welcome to the GT club"
Very few like me get a chance to welcome a person to the same club to which he had welcomed me some time ago
Thank you Hemanth, and agree it appears funny that we both have welcomed each other into the same club at various instances in the last few years. However, I think you would appreciate my decision this time around since you understand the feeling of owning a German machine.
I have lost out on that 100cc over my previous GT and that maddening rush, but on paper this one seems to put out 5 more ponies. One thing is for sure, I am really planning on a remap by the end of a year's ownership to bring back that insane 1.6 TDI feeling. For now, just rolling with the flow.

I think the last time we planned for a photoshoot meet, things did not exactly work. Hopefully, you may oblige this time around considering my car's fascia matches your's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post

Welcome to the double Polo club

I really think you should have gone for the GT TSI this time .
Thank you Santosh.

Take my word on this buddy, I really gave it a very hard and long thought, but could not convince myself as it could not meet any of my following requirements:
  • I am not a big fan of "Kitna deti hai" bandwagon, but as this is my only commuter, mileage did matter a tiny bit. With GT TSI & TDI priced almost the same, the former can never match the latter in this aspect.
  • VW claim the DSG to be a world class gearbox, and it probably is. But this has become the most notorious element of a VW car in India, especially in the DQ200 guise. What is the use of paying a premium to the part that does not even hold up to a regular usage.
  • When I sold my 1.6 GT, I had made up my mind that I would not go below 2.0 liter engine in my next car as I had truly learnt to appreciate the niche No replacement for displacement. Although TSI is unlike any of the other 1.2 engine out there, I just could not imagine myself going back to a 1.2 liter engine.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 13th August 2019 at 12:41.
Vik0728 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 15:33   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Awesome write up Vik, read it with mixed feelings but I guess opportunity of relocation would always appear another time as destined, but not driving the car of your choice especially in this trying times of emission, ev's and what not

Congratulations on the new'er' ride!

You have endorsed Volkswagen's tag line ' Why only Volkswagen can build a Volkswagen.' and not surprised though, as no car in the mass market segment is as satisfying considering the build quality and dynamics.( though quality has diluted a bit over time and still cant digest the meek horn of the current gen. Polo's)

I remember in 2011 you were in awe of the car and you wanted to see when I had just purchased the Polo.

Wishing you a repeat great ownership and hoping you have all your dreams come true.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 21:30   #38
BHPian

Quote:
I have not planned a lot of swaps on my GT TDI for now. However, here is a list of few cosmetic stuff I had to have:
Hi,

Congrats on your ride and it's a wonderfully written.

I just love the polo and would buy it blindly. In fact, I changed the mind of my brother who was about to buy an elite i20 to buy a polo and till date he has no regrets and we just enjoy the machine.

Few months back, I wanted to upgrade from my Hyundai Santro Xing and was looking for a car in this territory and the first thing i did is to take a test drive of polo GT TDI and man what a machine it is, I just fell in love with that all over again.

BUT, i felt Volkswagen is not interested in Indian market. No updates to such a wonderful car and i was expecting they would launch new polo but no. We Indians are permitted to just cosmetic upgrades. My heart said polo but my mind said elite i20 and somehow i got convinced for the latter and went with i20. I don't regret the decision but still, polo is a gem in this segment for an enthusiast.

Last edited by aah78 : 14th August 2019 at 22:00. Reason: Quote trimmed.
prabhu.reddy92 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2019, 07:27   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Awesome write up Vik,

Congratulations on the new'er' ride!

You have endorsed Volkswagen's tag line ' Why only Volkswagen can build a Volkswagen.' and not surprised though, as no car in the mass market segment is as satisfying considering the build quality and dynamics.( though quality has diluted a bit over time and still cant digest the meek horn of the current gen. Polo's)
Thank you volkman10 and exactly my thoughts!

Not sure about endorsing VW tag line here, but I really appreciate quality in everything. For me, it not how many features are there in a car, but what are the quality features that truly matter to a daily user.

For instance, Hyundai (Venue) loads up their cars with many gimmicky features, like Turning on the engine and setting the AC temperature remotely with a press of a button. I am really not sure how many users would actually use this. In fact, turning on AC in a parked car that was exposed to Sun's rays/heat for long time can fill up the cabin with "Not so healthy" gases/fumes.
And what do the Germans(VW) do...they simply offer Roll Down/Up for all windows with the press of a button, which is not only useful but quite safe.

Quality has taken a hit when compared to the earlier VW cars, but these Germans are still in a league of their own. I honestly believe that only Hyundai and Ford offer the precision that is needed to match these Germans when it comes to the build quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhu.reddy92 View Post
Hi,

Congrats on your ride and it's a wonderfully written.

I just love the polo and would buy it blindly.
Thank you Prabhu.

Yes, VW Polo is not the most VFM car when it comes to the various options/competition available in the market today. And VW have been quite ignorant to the fact that Indian Automotive Industry has progressed well beyond what they had imagined 10 years ago.

But the beauty of Polo is that it never really did anything alarmingly wrong, and when you add the element of the GT twins, it just becomes a lot more desirable as a product. VW seem to realize this and are simply milking every penny by just pushing around an old wine in designer wear bottles!!

As I have already posted, personal obligations/commitments have completely kept me away from the GT for a week now, and probably may spill over to another one by the way things are rolling. I am just itching to get my hands on the car and experience a lot more of this TDI engine, which may well be the last of its kind.
Old 20th August 2019, 00:32   #40
BHPian

Congrats on your car Vik! Lapiz blue is such an unique colour for the Polo.

I've booked a GT too (TSI though) and got to take a look at the car before registeration.

I observed that the place where the upper half of the centre console meets the lower half seems to be poorly fitted (passenger side). Would it be possible for you to post a picture of the same, please.

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by SS8939 : 20th August 2019 at 00:38.
Old 25th August 2019, 19:42   #41
Senior - BHPian

Personal commitments and professional obligations had kept me away from driving my car for over 2 weeks now. So this weekend, I was only looking forward to driving my car. Could not still do any long/outstation drives, but managed to pile another couple of hundred Kms on the ODO.

Here are my observation vis-a-vis the mighty 1.6 GT TDI:
  • The 1.5 TDI engine is quite refined in comparison to the 1.6 TDI. Definitely the 1.6 TDI was never a benchmark, but this engine seems to be a lot more pleasant sounding at cruising speeds.
  • The 1.5 GT lacks that mad rush the 1.6 GT had every time I buried my right foot. The former does accelerate and is quite quick, but it sort of misses that drama.
  • Noticed another major flaw in VW localization. When I engaged reverse gear on 1.6 GT with the music blaring from the HU(including OEM), it would be immediately muted. On the 1.5 GT, the music continues to play on!!
  • Although this is apparently the higher version of the instrument cluster, it does not have the Instant FE reading now.
The Dreaded VW After Sales
I was contacted by VW Palace Cross for 1K/1Month checkup, and they set up an appointment at 10am today. I reached the place at 9.45am, and other than the initial entry and a "Pink Slip", I was not even approached by any SA for an entire hour. And one of the VW folk had the audacity to inform me that there was only 1 SA and he was busy. I suggested him to continue with whatever he was doing, and just left the place at 10.45am.

Unlike my previous purchase, VW after sales or warranty does not really bother me, as I think they are worthless. There are enough sources and FNGs available who can help me maintain this machine.

Here are some of the other changes over the 1.6 GT and a couple that I have done:

Dead pedal/foot rest
From the first to last (possibly) iteration - My VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI-new7.jpg

The needles have this lovely red glow always
From the first to last (possibly) iteration - My VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI-new6.jpg

Added this LED boot light with a switch
From the first to last (possibly) iteration - My VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI-new5.jpg

Some parting shots:
From the first to last (possibly) iteration - My VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI-new2.jpg

From the first to last (possibly) iteration - My VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI-new3.jpg

From the first to last (possibly) iteration - My VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI-new4.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS8939 View Post
Congrats on your car Vik!Would it be possible for you to post a picture of the same, please.

Thanks a lot!
Thank you very much SS8939.

Really sorry buddy I completely forgot about taking this image today. I will surely do it tomorrow and post it here.
Attached Thumbnails
From the first to last (possibly) iteration - My VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI-new1.jpg  

Last edited by Vik0728 : 25th August 2019 at 19:43.
Vik0728 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th August 2019, 09:09   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you very much SS8939.

Really sorry buddy I completely forgot about taking this image today. I will surely do it tomorrow and post it here.
Absolutely no problem! I actually took a look at all the Polos parked in the service centre when I took delivery. Turns out the rear bumper is fit much better than the front.

Please do keep your thread updated! Lapiz Blue is such a rare colour, most Polos are either White or red.
Old 26th August 2019, 10:09   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Although this is apparently the higher version of the instrument cluster, it does not have the Instant FE reading now.[u]
The instrument cluster is nothing short of useless. Apart from the ODO I don't get any information the way I want it. My erstwhile Punto which is supposed to be outdated provided more information personalization options.

Quote:
I was contacted by VW Palace Cross for 1K/1Month checkup, and they set up an appointment at 10am today. I reached the place at 9.45am, and other than the initial entry and a "Pink Slip", I was not even approached by any SA for an entire hour. And one of the VW folk had the audacity to inform me that there was only 1 SA and he was busy. I suggested him to continue with whatever he was doing, and just left the place at 10.45am.
True...That lax attitude irritates me but I control myself from getting angry. Where was this - Rajajinagar or Mysore road?

Quote:
The needles have this lovely red glow always
Attachment 1909376
Please remove those ugly looking plastic covers
Old 26th August 2019, 10:25   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS8939 View Post

Please do keep your thread updated! Lapiz Blue is such a rare colour, most Polos are either White or red.
Thank you buddy

As promised, here is the dashboard view from the co-passenger's seat:

From the first to last (possibly) iteration - My VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI-dash-1.jpg

From the first to last (possibly) iteration - My VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI-dash-2.jpg

I am not sure if the original batch of Polo's (my 1.6 GT) were just well put together or the current gen Polo's have been badly assembled, but the quality glitch is extremely obvious.

I do have a lot of polythene covers in my car, but my acute hearing is already picking up some unseen/unknown rattles sort of sounds, and this it at just about 700Kms on the ODO!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Where was this - Rajajinagar or Mysore road?
This was at Rajajinagar man! I was really frustrated and quite simply stormed out of the assembly area. One of the service folks came rushing to me and requested to wait for some more time, but I politely and sternly refused and left.

Quote:
Please remove those ugly looking plastic covers
So there is a lot of churn currently on my personal front bro, so much so that I am struggling to park my car. With God's grace, this is going to go away and I must be able to find a permanent fix by the end of August. So I have purposely left all those polythene sheets in there until this saga ends, and I am going to get rid of all these immediately.
Vik0728 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 14:52   #45
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilthegunner View Post
I have to ask. If the Ecosport and XUV300 was under consideration, why didn't you bring the Nexon into the fold? The Diesel engine in it is simply fantastic!
Well, I'm glad that he didn't because 1.5TDI is unbeatable & best diesel engine in this price range, not even Ford's 1.5 comes close to it because the HP & torque hits earlier at lower rpms than the Ford & it's got extra torque & horsepower as well I don't know why people praise Ford's 1.5 Diesel so much when something like this exist, makes me think of all the bias present in the Indian car market. Not that Nexon is a bad car but you just can't compare it to something like a GT TDI, stop being biased to manufactures like VW. Look what people like you did to Chevrolet & Fiat.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks