Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2019, 16:15   #46
BHPian

Re: From the first to last (possibly) iteration - My VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumaranurag View Post
Well, I'm glad that he didn't because 1.5TDI is unbeatable & best diesel engine in this price range, not even Ford's 1.5 comes close to it because the HP & torque hits earlier at lower rpms than the Ford & it's got extra torque & horsepower as well I don't know why people praise Ford's 1.5 Diesel so much when something like this exist, makes me think of all the bias present in the Indian car market. Not that Nexon is a bad car but you just can't compare it to something like a GT TDI, stop being biased to manufactures like VW. Look what people like you did to Chevrolet & Fiat.
Pray tell what did people like me do to Chevrolet and Fiat? Chevrolet couldn't understand the market at all, didn't make any money and had to pull out of the market. They have had to pull out of so many markets abroad.

Fiat brought the Punto and the Linea and decided that was enough, that no more products were required. Today they have let their car business collapse and they're perfectly content being an engine maker. They've downgraded their own business to that of a components maker. How much longer that will survive is anyone's guess.

Third, on what basis are you claiming that the Polo TDI engine is the absolute best there is? It develops the same power as the Nexon diesel at a slightly higher rev range while the Revotorq gives more torque at 1500 rpm compared to the Polo. (If carwale is to be believed)

Fourth, what bias are you talking about? I did not understand what you meant.
nikhilthegunner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2019, 19:36   #47
BHPian

Fantastic pics and smart choice of colour. Not many Lapiz Blue Polo GT TSI and with the "new" TSI there is no such Blue shade.

I own the same colour albeit the Ameo DSG. I had my eyes on the TSI Lapiz Blue but my monthly running warrants a diesel.

How do you maintain the colour? Touchwood not many swirls and scratches on mine so far but a very difficult colour to keep it shining. I have bought a Jopasu duster but with the incessant rains and an adamant watchman, it is not being used. Wiping the car on alternate days with a 3M cloth and monthly getting it washed outside using the car shampoo given by Volkswagen.

Got the car detailed by Maxshine and it looked better than the delivery day. Have shared pics and review of it on the respective thread. Do let me know what and how you keep it clean and bright most times.

Last edited by VWAllstar : 19th September 2019 at 19:37.
VWAllstar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 11:10   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Fantastic pics and smart choice of colour. Not many Lapiz Blue Polo GT TSI and with the "new" TSI there is no such Blue shade.
Thank you VWAllstar

Although I agree with your view on the color, I may disagree with your "GT TSI" bit, as mine is a GT TDI buddy!!

Quote:

How do you maintain the colour? A very difficult colour to keep it shining.
Yes, I have bought this shade out of pure liking and complete understanding that it is equally tough to maintain. So my first car a Hyundai Santro in an almost similar shade, then a White Getz and a Red GT TDI. I have had the luck of a proper covered parking at both home and work for my previous and current GTs, which I am hoping is a great start. In addition, ONLY I wash my car, and even for FNG washes, I provide my micro fiber clothes/shampoo. This has been holding up for now I guess.

I have been way too busy with lots of personal & professional obligations. Essentially, have not even had some time to click some pics of the car, let along get it detailed. I must have some good time for all this during or post Dushera, and I'll update this thread with loads of content.

All said and done, I think what really works for VAG cars are their OEM paint quality. It is far superior to other cars, and just a regular (careful) clean/wash/wipe is enough to keep the gleam on.
Vik0728 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 11:12   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Thank you VWAllstar

Although I agree with your view on the color, I may disagree with your "GT TSI" bit, as mine is a GT TDI buddy!!
My bad. Too much of reading on Team BHP is to be blamed

Quote:
All said and done, I think what really works for VAG cars are their OEM paint quality. It is far superior to other cars, and just a regular (careful) clean/wash/wipe is enough to keep the gleam on.
True. Been hearing a lot of Hyundai cars paint been peeling out, so by far VW has better paint quality. Waiitng for more pics and reviews on the Polo GT TDI
VWAllstar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 11:34   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on getting the new Polo home. You have felt at home moving from one Polo to another. I am seeing this color for the first time.

Happy mile munching.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2019, 15:39   #51
BHPian

Congrats Vik! So you also have taken similar decisions like me! A Polo GT after a Polo GT. I wish you a lot of happy and safe miles on the new GT.
psuraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2019, 21:55   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Congratulations on getting the new Polo home. I am seeing this color for the first time.

Happy mile munching.
Thank you nkrishnap.
Yes, the moment I saw the Lapiz Blue shade commercial, I was hooked onto it. One look of this shade on road, and I was smitten!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuraj View Post
Congrats Vik! So you also have taken similar decisions like me! I wish you a lot of happy and safe miles on the new GT.
Thank you Suraj.

VW India are quite lazy and ignorant about updating their product line here. However, what has been working in their favor so far are their existing products. With innumerably small updates, Polo seems still quite competent and relevant in today's competitive offerings.

This is especially true with the GT twins.

Quote:
You have felt at home moving from one Polo to another.
Quote:
A Polo GT after a Polo GT.
Polo GT Is quite an accomplished hatch, considering it is almost towards the end of its life cycle now. I was not really reluctant to blow up on mid size SUV, sedan, and so on. However, I could also never compromise on the performance. So GT was probably the only choice.

During my car hunting, this video came out which also heavily cemented my belief is this wonderful hatch:

P.S - Work has restricted me to just the office commute in my GT. There is a long road trip looming in the horizon, which will be documented along with few updates that has gone in. Stay tuned....
Old 19th October 2019, 20:05   #53
Senior - BHPian

1500 Km update!!

Work and other obligations have restricted my commute to office and back home. Just yesterday, after nearly 3 months, my GT TDI crossed 1500 clicks.

From the first to last (possibly) iteration - My VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI-pic7.jpg

In comparison, my 1.6 GT TDI blazed past 1500 Kms in 13 days flat!!

- I did take the car out for a spin through some open roads, and it surely felt good. The 1.5 GT TDI theoretically makes more power than the 1.6 GT TDI, but it somehow does not have the hooligan thrust of the latter. This can be attributed to the fact that rhe 1.5 TDI engine is marginally more refined than the 1.6 TDI, which is quite noticeable from within the cockpit. So the 1.5 TDI sort of masks the speed quite well. On one occasion, I was quite surprised to see the car doing triple digit speed higher than I thought it actually was.

- Tried out the Cruise Control (CC) and it was just easy. It just adds that extra oomph for long journeys now I guess, which I am itching to get onto. Other than the cars drove in US, this is the first time I have actually used CC in India.

- The brakes seem to be pretty okay, but surely are going to fade away by 20K Kms. So I already have planned on swapping them as soon as get the first signs.

- This Lapiz Blue shade seems to be quite rare. I spotted a GT TSI on road for the first time in this shade, ever since my car purchase. Only last week did I actually see a Rapid Onyx edition on road and man it looks fab. My car color does attract some glares during my office commute, which I think makes it quite a special shade.

- One thing I really love about my 2019 GT TDI is the lack of the 80 Km/hr & 120 Km/hr buzzers. I would have hated my purchase had this irritant been there on a car that can cross these numbers without braking a sweat.
Like the pointless sun-film restriction, this speed alert IMO is just another proof of dumb-wit decision takers.

I bought couple of items from "Ali-bhai" for that subtle enhancement:

True German Bloodline
From the first to last (possibly) iteration - My VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI-pic6.jpg

Ignite(ion) the passion
From the first to last (possibly) iteration - My VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI-img20191018111849.jpg

Ever since I bought my first GT, my life's passion to travel have only grown exponentially and road trips had become an excuse to get behind the wheels. With loads of these planned in the near future, I am hoping to pile on some good kilometers on the new GT as well. I will be updating this thread as and when I do.

Until then, here are some of the latest shots:

From the first to last (possibly) iteration - My VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI-pic1.jpg

From the first to last (possibly) iteration - My VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI-pic2.jpg

From the first to last (possibly) iteration - My VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI-pic3.jpg

From the first to last (possibly) iteration - My VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI-pic4.jpg

From the first to last (possibly) iteration - My VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI-pic5.jpg

Last edited by Vik0728 : 19th October 2019 at 20:20.
Vik0728 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 12:41   #54
Senior - BHPian

3500 Km Update

It has been just under 5 months of ownership, and only in the last month or so has the GT really been put to touring runs. A combination of hectic work schedules, personal obligations and some repulsive Bangalore roads/traffic has kept my car off the road for the best of last 4 months now. So when I got an opportunity to stretch the GT's leg on great tarmac (read Blr-Chennai round trip), I didn't need much coaxing.

Me and wifey started at 5 am and the 350+ Kms was dispatched in just over 5 hours. This was really the first time I took my GT through some neatly laid 4 lane highway, and here are my observations vis-a-vis the 1.6 GT:

- The 1.5 GT always feels in control of the power. The 1.6 GT was quite ruthless, and more often than not, I would back off first before the machine did.
- The 1.5 GT feels a tiny bit more sure footed than the 1.6 GT, which I think attributes to the 16" rims.
- The 1.5 GT can putter along at 25 Km/hr in the 3rd gear, but it just does not have the top end whack of the 1.6 GT.
- The brakes on the 1.5 GT seems to be better for now. But rest assured, these will not last more than 12-15K kms.
- I have upgraded the headlights to OSRAM NBs, and the dual setup fares much better than the single setup headlights of the 1.6 GT. But I am surely going to go the projector way soon.
- The cruise control on the 1.5 GT is a boon and I was just "Cruising" pretty much 20% of the time.
- Other than the only hiccup at the Electronic City toll gate enroute Chennai, I could simply use the Fastag on the windshield to go through all the tolls without any issues.

In a nutshell, 1.5 GT TDI is not a revelation over the 1.6 GT, but it just keeps me happy the way the latter did. Some nifty updates such as electrically folding ORVM, auto-dim IRVM, footwell lights, cooled glovebox are quite usable on a daily basis.

Much desired update

Although I did not dislike the updated 16" Grey rims on the 2019 GTs, the very fact that even the regular Highline Plus variants of the Polo also offered these rims. I just wanted to visually differentiate my GT from the crowd. I had face crazy issues when I had swapped the OEM rims on my 1.6 GT and did not want to relive the same on the 1.5 GT. So I just got the rims custom painted.

This is what I got..
From the first to last (possibly) iteration - My VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI-img20190803064230.jpg

...and this is what I got it to:
From the first to last (possibly) iteration - My VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI-img20191208134543.jpg

With this subtle change, I think my GT looks a tiny bit different from the regular Polo's out there:

The Chennai trip had lots of water logged highways and the trucks spinning all the muck did not help either. So I fixed up a visit to FeynLab and went in for a basic body wash.

Did meet up with Samrat, who is a thorough gentle man. He did explain the various detailing options they offer, and this has also been put into the "To- do" pipeline of my GT.

Here is a quick video:

In all earnest, I have still not had the time to photograph my GT and spend some real good time behind the wheels. I have also had a pipeline of updates/upgrades planned and can't seem to find the time to execute them. But I will update this thread as and when I do.

For now, here are some more pics:

From the first to last (possibly) iteration - My VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI-img20191018111650.jpg

From the first to last (possibly) iteration - My VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI-img20191208110146.jpg

From the first to last (possibly) iteration - My VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI-img20191208113630.jpg

From the first to last (possibly) iteration - My VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI-img20191208134528.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
From the first to last (possibly) iteration - My VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI-img20191208134517.jpg  

Vik0728 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th March 2020, 19:40   #55
Senior - BHPian

8 Months and 7000 Km

So it has been a long time since I updated this thread. As always, either work or more important family chores had kept me busy, but not away from my Lapiz GT.

So after 8 Months and over 7000 Kms, went in for the half yearly checkup.

From the first to last (possibly) iteration - My VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI-img20200211084048.jpg

The service was pretty straight forward and I did not really have any complaints with the car. So it was just a regular service check and the car was in and out in under 2 hours.

Unknown dent

It has almost been a norm with all my new cars that I either receive a scratch or a dent that I only discover during a routine wash!

I noticed this on the rear left door back in early January:
From the first to last (possibly) iteration - My VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI-dent.jpg

Although there was no deep scratch, it appeared like a blunt object was forced into the door. It did pester me to look at this dent every time I got near the car, but I let that pass for nearly a month, as there was quite a few light scratches at many places.

Repaint and detailing

I decided to get the dent sorted and immediately called Sai Colorium. Was asked to get the car into the workshop, and by mid afternoon, my GT was gone.

More on work in Sai Colorium - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/banga...ml#post4765089 (Dedicated automotive Body Care: Sai Colorium)

And here are the results of the repaint and detailing:

From the first to last (possibly) iteration - My VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI-img20200302wa0020.jpg

Updates

Auto-headlight Switch
I stumbled upon this wonderful Auto-headlight switch on Aliexpress the other day, and instantly loved the fact that it is a simple plug and play.

Link - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3297...628e4c4dzXXN4H

As always, the order was delivered in under 10 days and the installation was ridiculously easy.
Here are the functions that I have now:
  1. If the ambient light is not too dard (Dawn/Dusk), only the parking (Pilot) lights turn on.
  2. If the car enters a tunnel/parking bay(Basement)/dark area, the headlights turn in within 3 seconds.
  3. With the headlight swtich set to Auto, the fog lamps turn on the moment I slot my car into reverse.
  4. If the car is parked in a dark area, the headlights turn on the moment I Lock/Unlock the car. These are follow me and leave home(?) features.

The switch is brilliant to hold and the chrome lining goes really well with the chrome inserts on the AC vents. It is also quite sensitive to ambient conditions and the auto On/Off are seamless.

H7 LED bulbs
With the auto-headlight switch , I was a little concerned about using the halogen bulbs for the headlamps. So I researched quite a bit on all the available H7 LED options. I understand that fact that LED lights can have a very uneven spread when housed in a conventional headlamp cluster. I just wanted the one that limited this.

The dual barrel headlamps of the facelift Polo/Vento have H7 for Low beam and H11 for High. So I just wanted to experiment with just the low, as I had installed Osram NB for High.

So I found one on the Amazon called Andride Nighteye.

Link - https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B08...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

At the time of purchase, they were running a huge discount and I got this pair for 800 bucks!!

It was fairly an easy install and after fine tuning the beam, I was satisfied with the throw. The glare from the LEDs are also quite minimum and definitely does hinder the oncoming motorists.

All in all, I am quite happy with my GT now and would want to share few parting shots.

From the first to last (possibly) iteration - My VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI-cropped.jpg

From the first to last (possibly) iteration - My VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI-pluto2.jpg

Many more are on its way, so stay tuned....

Last edited by Vik0728 : 7th March 2020 at 19:41.
Vik0728 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th May 2020, 16:22   #56
BHPian

Quote:
I have not planned a lot of swaps on my GT TDI for now. However, here is a list of few cosmetic stuff I had to have:

OEM Armrest
Attachment 1902014
Thats a nice comparison of the "first to last iteration" . Quick question on the center armrest. Doesnt it intrude during quick up/down shifts?

I too own a GT TDi and have always contemplated about getting one.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 19th May 2020 at 06:45. Reason: Fixed broken quotes
tanaysn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 05:48   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanaysn View Post
Thats a nice comparison of the "first to last iteration" . Quick question on the center armrest. Doesnt it intrude during quick up/down shifts?
Thank you tanaysn.

The one I had on my 1.6 GT TDI was not an OEM Armrest, and I had sourced it from Aliexpress, while the one on my 1.5 GT TDi is a OEM one which I bought from VW.

Neither of them intrude during gear shifts, and if one feels it does, they can always fold them away.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 19th May 2020 at 06:55. Reason: Fixed broken quotes
Vik0728 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 06:57   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Much desired update

Although I did not dislike the updated 16" Grey rims on the 2019 GTs, the very fact that even the regular Highline Plus variants of the Polo also offered these rims. I just wanted to visually differentiate my GT from the crowd. I had face crazy issues when I had swapped the OEM rims on my 1.6 GT and did not want to relive the same on the 1.5 GT. So I just got the rims custom painted.
Nice work.

Initially thought these were new alloys. Where did you get the work done and what was the cost involved?
Old 19th May 2020, 07:22   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Nice work.

Initially thought these were new alloys. Where did you get the work done and what was the cost involved?
Thank you buddy, I got them done at A1 Car Tires on Ashoka Pillar road. They are not probably the best in the business, but they do a pretty decent job for the price. I think it was about 1.5 or 1.8 K per alloy.
Old 15th July 2020, 13:57   #60
Senior - BHPian

9000 Km/1 year update

Time does flyby albeit it is quite ironic and controversial that I am referring this to VW Polo

My 1.5 GT TDI completes a year this month, and like most of the world, it has stayed back home for most of the last 4 months.

Locked Home
From the first to last (possibly) iteration - My VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI-img20200303wa0010.jpg

Whenever I did get to drive, I headed for some open roads and let those German ponies loose. But such errands have been few and far between, with this being the new normal for the rest of the year.

I hate chrome on my car and pre-GTI facelift had this quirky chrome line running across. Finally decided to go through with the chrome-delete with a wrap at 3M.

And I quite like what I see now:

From the first to last (possibly) iteration - My VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI-new-gt.jpg

From the first to last (possibly) iteration - My VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI-img20200709160101.jpg

I have played around with the rear as well, but thinking of removing the TDI badge entirely:

From the first to last (possibly) iteration - My VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI-img20200711060447.jpg

My 1 year/15K Kms service is due this month and I will update the thread on how the VW service experience was. With Bangalore on lockdown for the next 1 week, any possibility of adding any more miles on the GT are gone

A quick run to farmhouse and back may also have to wait for a week now:

From the first to last (possibly) iteration - My VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI-pluto1.jpg

Incidentally, 5 years back is when I got the new rims and wrap done on my 1.6 GT TDi. So, here's a pic showcasing the memory:

From the first to last (possibly) iteration - My VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI-plutoevolution.jpg
Vik0728 is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks