Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2019, 19:46   #16
BHPian

Re: Video: Driving the Tesla Model 3 in California!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Check this out, guys! Super, super cool.
Now that is seriously cool. Can it be used as a driving simulator?
Old 11th August 2019, 23:00   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Check this out, guys! Super, super cool. The car is a hit with the kids. Play video games with an amazing sound system + crisp display. Poor front tyres though
I always wondered this when they launched this feature. What happens to the front tyres!

I thought some clever thing they would have where the steering wouldn't turn (this was far fetched I know)

This will really wear out the front tyres!

Last edited by moralfibre : 12th August 2019 at 09:39. Reason: Removing embedded video from quoted post.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 10:54   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Also, as i mentioned in the video that many people (including some BHPians living in India) had pre booked (online) the Model 3. However there is no response/update from them about when they will get their model (In India) or will they get an refund ?
Yeah, it seems like Elon is not taking India as seriously (and rightly so I guess considering the low volume he'll get out of India). He's responded a couple of times to tweets about India launch, and his latest one on August 1 hasn't been very encouraging.
Video: Driving the Tesla Model 3 in California!-tweet.jpg

I really hope something changes within the next 5 years as long as Nitin Gadkari has the Transportation ministry, he is very pro-EV and maybe with the right push he could propose some modifications to the taxation on foreign EVs (possibly reducing the import duty for EV CBUs in particular). As for manufacturing, I don't know how much localization % is required for CKDs, but if zero is okay, it might be easy to go the CKD route. If there need to be locally sourced components according to law, then it is very difficult for Tesla as they are very tightly vertically integrated as opposed to the rest of the world's car manufacturers (meaning a lot of parts that would traditionally come from suppliers, in Tesla's case are built right in the factory where the cars are finally assembled). Thus they would have to significantly alter their manufacturing process/ design which would make it an even harder decision for Tesla to commit to. Going further, the technical competency for the core components (example batteries, LCDs, electronics) simply does not exist in India yet (China has it in spades), so anything other than 100% imported CKD sounds difficult to me.

The right person needs to whisper either in Gadkari's ear to make some loophole/exception, or in Elon's ear to build an assembly plant in India for CKD unit assembly. Barring that, Tesla will just have to CBU it, volume be damned. But with low volume, there is no case for a Supercharger network, and I don't think Tesla has entered any market where they haven't built Superchargers. It just doesn't make sense to sell a car in a country where you cannot at least theoretically traverse the entire country using DC fast charging (of course, third parties in India can come up with their own network but a Tesla without the Supercharger network doesn't complete the picture in my opinion). The upcoming Bharat charging standards seem to be compatible with Teslas from my limited reading on the topic, and also our government is probably going to push for CCS charging as well (which is the European default), so third party charging should be sorted. But I digress.

I would hang on to my reservation if I had one. I really hope they launch in India soon, or I'm going to have to start looking at LHD-import-to-India laws in a few years (I hear its a total no-no legally)!

@Karan: Off topic question, what do you use for audio capture for your videos? Do you go with the internal mics with your camera (incidentally what do you shoot with), or do you have a wired/wireless mic setup? I'm looking at external mics for my GoPro Hero 5 Black.

Last edited by Harshal.Bhosale : 12th August 2019 at 11:07.
Harshal.Bhosale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 12:30   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
Yes there is no clarity on future launch. No updates and no email announcements.
Regarding refund you go to tesla.com , sign in and then you request a refund. What happens after that I am not sure of, but I'm guessing a refund will be issued.
Thanks for sharing this valuable information, sure it will be useful to the people who have booked Model 3's in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harshal.Bhosale View Post
Yeah, it seems like Elon is not taking India as seriously (and rightly so I guess considering the low volume he'll get out of India). He's responded a couple of times to tweets about India launch, and his latest one on August 1 hasn't been very encouraging.

Quote:
I would hang on to my reservation if I had one. I really hope they launch in India soon, or I'm going to have to start looking at LHD-import-to-India laws in a few years (I hear its a total no-no legally)!
FYI, RHD Tesla Model 3 is already on sale in UK, Here's a pic of the RHD Model 3;

Video: Driving the Tesla Model 3 in California!-dsc02017.jpg

Pic Source

Quote:
@Karan: Off topic question, what do you use for audio capture for your videos? Do you go with the internal mics with your camera (incidentally what do you shoot with), or do you have a wired/wireless mic setup? I'm looking at external mics for my GoPro Hero 5 Black.
I use a collar mike by RODE (Smart Lav + series).
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 12:34   #20
BHPian

Quote:
FYI, RHD Tesla Model 3 is already on sale in UK, Here's a pic of the RHD Model 3;

I'm told model x if you import into India costs 2 crores ? If that is true, then a simple import of model 3 would cost a crore if done privately, that makes no sense whatsoever. I tried to find out the real cost of importing a model x but only received this vague figure from an agent. If anyone has information on personal imports and specifically tesla would appreciate it if they shared the contact details of correct person.

Last edited by Rehaan : 16th August 2019 at 15:05. Reason: Removing blank space from within the quote :)
Old 13th August 2019, 14:56   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
Eye opening insights on the Tesla there. I feel it's more of a gadget than a car.
A first Gen model always appears as a Gizmo. Only after it and the users have matured does the reality come in. So I will not blame Tesla.
Old 14th August 2019, 19:21   #22
BHPian

Quote:

I use a collar mike by RODE (Smart Lav + series).
Yep, I've been following right hand deliveries and cursing myself for being in the US (or conversely cursing US for having LHD cars). My thought was more about getting my own car to India though, under the transfer of residence scheme for NRIs. But initial research has shown that it is still hugely impractical financially and bureaucratically. Also, LHD cars are completely banned for India it seems (yet, I seem to remember seeing some old classic car with a big LHD sticker on the bumper somewhere in Pune).

Thanks for the mic information. I myself was looking at RODE wireless mics but they cost a bomb (almost approaching the price of my GoPro itself lol. The SmartLav+ seems to be wired - how do you deal with outdoor shots like the first scene of your Model 3 video? Does the wire reach up to where you're standing, or are you using some other brand transmitter/receiver? Sorry for noob questions, I'm just curious since I want to understand audio first before jumping to creating any videos (I believe its the audio that differentiates pro quality videos from amateur ones).

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
I'm told model x if you import into India costs 2 crores ? If that is true, then a simple import of model 3 would cost a crore if done privately, that makes no sense whatsoever. I tried to find out the real cost of importing a model x but only received this vague figure from an agent. If anyone has information on personal imports and specifically tesla would appreciate it if they shared the contact details of correct person.
I don't about new imports but as for used imports, this has been discussed on our forum: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...residence.html (Importing a used car on transfer of residence)

I guess importing brand new might be easier than importing used.. as long as it is right hand drive. As for contact details, don't know if it is much help as it is from 2009, but forum member riteshritesh has mentioned in this post (Importing a used car on transfer of residence) that he owns a "Custom House agency". You could try contacting him.

EDIT: @M00M I found another post by the same forum member mentioning his occupation, this one more recent. You can definitely get some information from him. Link (The iPhone Thread).

Last edited by Harshal.Bhosale : 14th August 2019 at 19:30.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks