Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2019, 10:52   #16
BHPian

Re: My Tata Tigor XZA - Petrol Automatic

Very well written and nicely put review @saurabh2711. Really liked your attention to detail.

The Tigor is the best looking compact 'sedan' (Hmm, err!) out there, after Dzire. I still hope Tata to give it the same engine options as Nexon and see it fly off .
vijayshouree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 13:25   #17
BHPian

First of all, congrats on your purchase! I own a Tiago XZA myself which I bought last year in July and I cannot help but miss that Tata has continued the saga of feature deletions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh2711 View Post
My Favorite part AUDIO

1: The display could have been better. It lacks the richness.
2: No tweeters in rear door. It is just the dummy panels at rear. (Am I asking too much??
This is the same HU that Tata offers on Tiago XZA which is a step down from the HU they used to offer on the equivalent variant of Tigor which had a very small and crappy touch screen, still better than this. I have upgraded the setup to an Android HU now gladly.
For rear tweeters, the wiring is probably present in your car and it will be a plug and play fitment with not much labor involved, order the part from boodmo and you are good to go.

Quote:
India is land of varied Temperature. So here comes the Air Condition

What I like:
1: AC is really powerful and is tested for two summers already when temperatures have sored up to as high as 44 Degree Celsius. I am writing this after 18 months of ownership.
2: When on Highway, is a chiller.

What I don't Like & what I miss
1: Mentioned already - In-spite of being Top end variant -. It has no Climate control AC, just as in Aria Top End Variation.
2: When in City limits, the rear seat takes some time to cool down. Understood & acceptable issue/limitation.
I think earlier Tigor XZA was offered with ACC, another deletion. Also, I feel that the AC is sufficient in most cases but the issue is with blower noise and you need to set it at least level 2 for rear passengers to feel the cooling.
Another issue is that the filter chokes every often and ours choked in June making the car really difficult to drive in the extreme weather.
On the other hand, my father does not like the AC at all as he is spoiled by the excellent chiller AC of our Brezza.

Quote:
I have upgraded the stock Osram 55W bulbs in both beams with Philips Extreme Visions. Following its the difference in low beams, details later in the thread.
Tiago comes with normal reflector headlights which I recently upgraded to the ones that come in XZ+ variant which is a slightly newer designed version of the ones you have. I have also put in Philips XtremeVision Plus in high beam reflector but went with a HID kit for the low beam projectors. Excellent results.

Quote:
Dislikes/Areas of Improvements/What it is Missing
Gearbox/Driving
Dead Zones between gear shifts when moving to higher gears in Automatic drive (Both City & Sports Modes)
I also feel that the gearbox needs to be tuned better for city crawl speeds where it sometimes tends to jerk and there is some unpleasant action from car when it switches from 1st to 2nd gear. However, this engine and gearbox combo is an excellent highway performer and I have 0 complaints with regards to the performance.

To sum it up, I wish you a lot happy miles ahead. Also, XZA is not the top end automatic anymore, it is the XZA+ which has a lot of features you and I both miss.
shivamk11 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 17:02   #18
BHPian

A well-written review, Saurabh! Lovely choice of colour too!

Quote:

A pillers have tweeters:
Attachment 1906044
Just a small piece of advice, if possible, move the rearview camera's display unit towards the right or the center of the dashboard. As of now, it's placed on the airbag's cover which might hinder proper deflation of the airbag. Also, there is a risk of the display unit acting as a projectile during the deflation and causing injuries.

Wishing you happy and trouble-free motoring! Drive safe.
The_Outsider! is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 17:46   #19
BHPian

Hi Saurabh,

Congratulations on the purchase of the Tigor, wishing you happy miles. Also, thank you for the well-written review! I had taken a test drive for the Tiago XZA and noticed there was a noticeable lag between gear shifts (there is lag as it is an AMT, however the Tiago's AMT gearbox took its own time shifting gears), is this also in the Tigor?

The Summary of observation for the car in terms of What I like & What I Don't. I will try & explain each in the relevant section as well.

• Very responsive gearbox (AMT), specially in Manual mode

Last edited by moralfibre : 17th September 2019 at 08:25.
fastturtle10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 09:57   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Which car did you read about ?
Dear Sir,

I will definitely come back to you on this point. Still recovering data from my crashed hard disk & the link was saved in favorites.
AT this point I have two options:
1: Share you the link & wait for your response, if that is applicable on our cars. (Working on it)
2: Park this DIY as a question for its feasibility. If a senior member like you is questioning its feasibility & success, I am just a novice.

Many thanks for the Mud flap advice, will implement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijayshouree View Post
I still hope Tata to give it the same engine options as Nexon and see it fly off .
Thank You. I only wish-- But Tata Being Tata, you never know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivamk11 View Post
First of all, congrats on your purchase!
To sum it up I cannot agree more with you & wished, I could have written it the way you have summed up.

Quote:
First of all, congrats on your purchase!
For rear tweeters, the wiring is probably present-- you are good to go.
Let me update My DIY list. Thanks.

Quote:
I think earlier Tigor XZA was offered with ACC, another deletion.
Also, I feel that the AC is sufficient -- to feel the cooling.
Another issue is that the filter chokes every often and ours choked in June making the car really difficult to drive in the extreme weather.
Mine is March 2018 variant. Was there something even before this?
I agree. Cooling is sufficient.
Filter : Thanks Point noted. Will ensure this is monitored & taken care off as & when required.

Quote:
gearbox needs to be tuned better for city crawl speeds
Yeah, I mentioned this as dead zones. No doubt about its highway performances

Quote:
To sum it up, I wish you a lot happy miles ahead. Also, XZA is not the top end automatic anymore, it is the XZA+ which has a lot of features you and I both miss.
Saurabh : Thanks a ton & wishing you the same.
"not the top end automatic anymore" : Yeah, the perils of writing the review after one & half year of ownership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Outsider! View Post
A well-written review, Saurabh! Lovely choice of colour too!
Just a small piece of advice,
Wishing you happy and trouble-free motoring! Drive safe.
Thank you very much. To be very Honest, screen placement was something never thought off. Brilliant observation. Added to the priority list to be fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastturtle10 View Post
wishing you happy miles.
-- there was a noticeable lag between gear shifts
Thank You.
Noticeable Lag : Absolutely. The same problem is with Tigor as well. I mentioned it as a "Dead Zone" between gear shifts. I think both cars have same gearboxes, so if this is correct, they will carry the issues wherever they go.

Last edited by saurabh2711 : 17th September 2019 at 10:23.
saurabh2711 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 14:22   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Very nice & detailed review, Saurabh.

Manual mode less efficient - likely because you (we) change when we think it is right. Automated changes are calibrated for change at optimal speeds. How much is the difference ?
This is because the Manual is equivalent to Sport mode in Auto. I have a Tiago XZA and have used these modes extensively. Quite frankly, if you use Sport mode, you don't feel the need to switch to Manual at all. Sport/Manual is where you get the full 84 horses, while City should be somewhere around 70 hp.
Vikki@Hyderabad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 15:58   #22
BHPian

I bought a Tiago XZA last year. The look and feel of TATA cars have graduated to a higher level.

I understand the gearshift point that you mentioned, did you feel the change in transmission when you change to Sports from the City. Try it out, it's pretty good.

Love the car ! Congratulations !
deepcdc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 20:10   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikki@Hyderabad View Post
This is because the Manual is equivalent to Sport mode in Auto. I have a Tiago XZA and have used these modes extensively. Quite frankly, if you use Sport mode, you don't feel the need to switch to Manual at all. Sport/Manual is where you get the full 84 horses, while City should be somewhere around 70 hp.
I did not know that this applied to Tiago as well. We knew that in Nexon it actually changed the engine tune but from what I knew, in Tiago, sports mode only made the gearbox maintain the revvs high before it actually changes the gear. Thus, making it useful in highway overtakes and hilly areas.
shivamk11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2019, 14:34   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivamk11 View Post
I did not know that this applied to Tiago as well. We knew that in Nexon it actually changed the engine tune but from what I knew, in Tiago, sports mode only made the gearbox maintain the revvs high before it actually changes the gear. Thus, making it useful in highway overtakes and hilly areas.
The change in power delivery is very noticeable when you switch to Manual/Sport mode, even with no additional accelerator input. This feature is available only in the AMT variants. The manual Tiago variants have an Eco mode and a regular mode. While I've not driven a manual Tiago variant, my guess is that the regular mode is equivalent to the Sport/Manual mode in the AMT variants.
Vikki@Hyderabad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 12:19   #25
BHPian

Quote:
I see a lavender coloured can in the glove box. It may be a spray of some type.
CAUTION - Most cans use Butane as a propellant (the same stuff in a kitchen gas cylinder). In summer if the car is parked in the sun, interior temperature exceeds the flash point of Butane and the can explodes causing the car to burn down.

You may want to avoid cans in cars in India or any other hot country.

Last edited by navin : 24th September 2019 at 13:51. Reason: typo - quote tag error
Ferruccio is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2019, 18:50   #26
Senior - BHPian

@Saurabh2711 - How much you paid for the Philips extreme vision bulbs? Was it purchased locally or through online? If it's online, do you have any link to provide.?

Am also thinking of changing the stock bulbs to Philips, hence above questions.

Most Viewed