Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2019, 23:51   #46
BHPian

re: Scarlett comes home - My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4. EDIT: 1 year & 42,186 kms up!

Hi Arun

Just wanted to know if you considered the VW Tiguan as well.

I am interested in a comparison of these two regarding the drive they have to offer, irrespective of the features on offer.
Old 30th September 2019, 18:22   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Scarlett comes home - My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4. EDIT: 1 year & 42,186 kms up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque18 View Post
Hi Arun

Just wanted to know if you considered the VW Tiguan as well.

I am interested in a comparison of these two regarding the drive they have to offer, irrespective of the features on offer.

No, I didn't consider VW Tiguan.
Old 1st October 2019, 11:38   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Good luck resisting the temptation.

Quote:
How about a quick test drive though?
During a recent trip to Coimbatore, spotted a Jeep Compass (red & black dual tone in limited plus variant) on highway and we had little bit fun catching up with each other. We did admire each of our cars power under the hood, highway manners, straight line stability etc. and must say I'm impressed already!

If my Scross 1.6 was a beast on highway, Jeep Compass in red & black shade was powerfully and mysteriously attractive and on that note your Scarlett is definitely a looker
Keynote is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2019, 13:07   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Breakfast drive - Murugan idli shop

A breakfast drive with friends to welcome another Jeep Compass into the fold. This time to Murugan idli shop near Krishnagiri toll. Good parking space, good food and some good fun-filled moments with friends. Here are few pics,

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-1a.jpg

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-1.jpg

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-2.jpg

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-4.jpg

And the gang

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-img20191002wa0295.jpg

This was on the way to Kanyakumari, near Tirunelveli Bypass

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-5.jpg

At Kanyakumari

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-6.jpg

And the ODO is inching towards the 25K mark.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-7.jpg

Issues observed so far:

1. Occasional mild rattling noise from the driver side door. Will get this checked during the 30K service.

2. At times the reverse gear is a bit hard. If required will get this checked as well.

Last edited by arun_josie : 6th October 2019 at 13:17.
arun_josie is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 6th October 2019, 13:15   #50
BHPian

Arun, what are your comparative views on driving and owning a Linea and Compass.

I know both are from different segments and different leagues wrt engines. But coming from the same family would be glad to read your experience and thoughts on both been put side by side.
VWAllstar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2019, 13:25   #51
BHPian

At this rate FCA must come up with a new car in the next 3 years else you may venture out of the FCA family. Even FCA India would not have done so much on road test of the car and it's components in such a short time. I wouldn't be surprised if they contact you for feedback on some components which they could not assess fully in real world conditions.

Nice to see you munching miles for breakfast literally. Driving so much what does your left knee and back tell? How do you compare the clutch of the Linea and the Compass? Do you do any exercises for your back, yoga etc to keep fit to drive so much?

Last edited by bharatbits : 6th October 2019 at 13:35.
bharatbits is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2019, 18:27   #52

Re: Breakfast drive - Murugan idli shop

Quote:
1. Occasional mild rattling noise from the driver side door. Will get this checked during the 30K service.
I too have a rattling noise from the Driver side A pillar plastic cover. When I put a finger over it the nosie stops. Plan to get it fixed on 5k service or maybe sooner.
I heard other owners also had experienced similar nosie.
goldsmit409 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2019, 21:41   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Breakfast drive - Murugan idli shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Arun, what are your comparative views on driving and owning a Linea and Compass.
Sure, I will write a short comparison soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbits View Post
At this rate FCA must come up with a new car in the next 3 years else you may venture out of the FCA family.

Quote:
Nice to see you munching miles for breakfast literally. Driving so much what does your left knee and back tell? How do you compare the clutch of the Linea and the Compass? Do you do any exercises for your back, yoga etc to keep fit to drive so much?
Few years back, I had my share of backache too and things are fine after I reduced my weight by 15-20Kgs. But thankfully, my back problem never interfered with my driving. But yes, I should start some exercise plan to keep my self more fit.

Regarding the Linea/Compass comparison, as mentioned above I will write a post soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsmit409 View Post
I too have a rattling noise from the Driver side A pillar plastic cover. When I put a finger over it the nosie stops. Plan to get it fixed on 5k service or maybe sooner.
I heard other owners also had experienced similar nosie.
Yes, in my case when I put some pressure on the door, the sound goes away. This issue is mostly on the rough roads and not always.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2019, 18:17   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

ODO @ 25,000 Kms

ODO @ 25,000 Kms.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-25000.jpg

Linea Vs Compass, a small comparison:
  1. The driver seat in Linea was more comfortable than the one in Compass. Especially when I do nonstop drive for 4-5 hours, I never felt any discomfort in Linea but in Compass I get a slight pain in my right thigh.
  2. I loved the engine note post 3rd gear at higher RPMs in Linea.
  3. Clutch: Clutch travel is almost same between Linea and Compass. So, not much difference here. Both are smooth too.
  4. Steering: I like the meaty steering in Compass . Both are good in steering feedback.
  5. Handling: A tough one to decide. The more I drive the Compass on the highway, the more I feel that it is as good as Linea. But definitely, I will put Linea little ahead for its performance on the twisty sections.
  6. City driving: Compass is easier to drive within city when compared with Linea. As mentioned earlier, it’s the bad 1-2 gear ratio that makes it difficult in Linea
  7. Braking: With all 4 disc brakes, Compass scores here.
  8. NVH: Compass is fantastic. Linea gets louder post 110-120Kmph
  9. Space: Compass is spacious when compared with Linea.
  10. Boot space: No doubt it’s Linea. Compass is not bad. During our recent drive, we had lot of luggage and we were still able to fit in all of them. It’s just that we need to be more systematic while placing the luggage.
  11. Fuel efficiency: On an average Compass gives around 2-3 Kmpl less than Linea.
  12. Build quality: In my opinion, both scores similar. However the bonnet of Compass is very heavy when compared to the one in Linea. And both cars give a secured feeling when you are on the move.
  13. Features: Of course, compass scores better here. But Limited Option doesn’t come with rain sensing wiper and auto head-lamps.
  14. Service Intervals: It’s same for both, 15K Kms.
  15. No metal engine guard for Compass. Linea had it though. Trailhawk gets metal engine guard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbits View Post
How do you compare the clutch of the Linea and the Compass?
arun_josie is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 15th October 2019, 13:04   #55
Senior - BHPian

I find it a bit odd that handling was a tough one for you to decide. That should have been among the easiest to figure out. There is no way a SUV will handle better than a sedan. Its a simple rule of physics. The higher your centre of gravity, the worse off will be the handling. Period.

As highways are designed to carry speeds, the curves will normally be longer sweeping ones so there wouldn't be much of a difference between a sedan and a SUV. The second you hit a ghat section, the shortcomings of an SUV (read bodyroll) will become apparent. Where the SUV trumps the sedan is the higher and more relaxed seating posture, as compared to a crouched position in a sedan. Then again there are sedans that give a flatter bench like seating nowadays.

Anyways congrats on your Jeep and wishing you miles of happiness !

Last edited by longhorn : 15th October 2019 at 13:07.
longhorn is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th October 2019, 18:44   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
I find it a bit odd that handling was a tough one for you to decide. That should have been among the easiest to figure out. There is no way a SUV will handle better than a sedan. Its a simple rule of physics. The higher your centre of gravity, the worse off will be the handling. Period.
I agree.
Quote:
As highways are designed to carry speeds, the curves will normally be longer sweeping ones so there wouldn't be much of a difference between a sedan and a SUV.
As of now most of my drives have been on the highways only. So, my comparison was based on highway drives and I have mentioned it too.

The only time when I took it on ghats was during a Mangalore drive and I was more sedate during this drive.

I should have put my point better than being generic. Thanks for the feedback.
arun_josie is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th October 2019, 20:52   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
I agree
I think the present Linea (that is, the one there from 2013 onwards) has around 190 mm of ground clearance. So, it should not be far off from an SUV like Jeep Compass (?). In fact, when Fiat had increased the ground clearance of Linea, was it not said that the handling became a little different (?)

In this case, the handling traits should be closer for both. I am, however, not sure if arun_josie's Linea was of this make or older.
Vipin Kumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2019, 16:13   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipin Kumar View Post
I think the present Linea (that is, the one there from 2013 onwards) has around 190 mm of ground clearance. So, it should not be far off from an SUV like Jeep Compass (?). In fact, when Fiat had increased the ground clearance of Linea, was it not said that the handling became a little different (?)

In this case, the handling traits should be closer for both. I am, however, not sure if arun_josie's Linea was of this make or older.
Yes, mine was 2013 model with higher ground clearance.
Old 27th October 2019, 15:26   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Happy Diwali to Everyone!

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-dw.jpeg

After a wash. ODO inching towards 26K Kms.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-20191026_173010.jpg
arun_josie is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 27th October 2019, 17:24   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Great review Arun. Your attention to detail is comparable to an official review. Get amazed at how much folks like you drive. Your car is over 2 years younger than mine, and has munched more miles. Also get amazed at the fuel efficiency levels you achieve - have never come close to 18 kmpl on any car in India. Presume the petrol automatic was not in your consideration set given how much you drive.

Last edited by Hayek : 27th October 2019 at 17:25.
Hayek is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks