Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2024, 14:02   #481
Distinguished - BHPian

5 Years Ownership Update

5 Years Ownership Update:

One more year goes by, and I have now completed 5 years of ownership with Scarlett

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-1_odo.jpg

It has been an excellent ride so far and I have enjoyed each and every drive in this wonderful machine. Pandemic days took out some planned drives during this journey. But overall, it has been a fun-filled ownership so far.
The extended warranty is over, so going forward some of the parts replacement will dent my pocket for sure. However, I am not thinking too much about it.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-2_5y.jpg

Here is the service details and expense incurred so far,

All the services were done at PPS/MPS motors which is located on the Hosur road near Electronic city. I have never missed any service schedule deadlines and in fact at times the service was done well in advance.

The service expense so far is Rs. 2,67,421/- for 1,44,000 Kms (Rs 1.85 per Km).

The expense on Tyres, Battery, Accessories etc stands at Rs. 1,23,970/-

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-3_service.png

More details on the parts replacements:

Tyres:

First set was the stock Firestone and it was not great except that it gave a life of 50K Kms.

I replaced Firestone with Yokohama Earth1 @ 51,205 Kms. This is the best of the lot when it comes to comfort and braking. But the performance started dropping after 30K Kms and it became noisier too.

The current set is GoodYear Wrangler AT SilentTrac. This replaced the Yokos @ 99,111 Kms. These tyres are very good on the bad roads. It’s harder than Yokohama Earth1.

Here is a pic after 42K Kms of usage, I could see this giving more life than the previous ones.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-4_tyres.jpg

Brake Pads(Front):

On an average I am getting a life of around 50K Kms on the front brake pads.

1st Set replaced @ 51,205 Kms

2nd Set replaced @ 1,01,884 Kms

Here is the current set after 40K Kms

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-5_bp.jpg

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-5a_bp.jpg

Brake Pads(Rear):

The rear one has not been replaced yet.

Brake Disc:

1st Set replaced @ 1,01,884 Kms

Wipers:

Wipers were replaced at 68,853 Kms (the OEMs are very expensive (closed to 5K), so replaced with Bosch wipers which costs around 900/-). These Bosch wipers are flimsy and had to be replaced again @88,699 Kms.
@1,19,668 Kms, I went back to the OEM one. After trying out the Bosch wipers, I moved back to the OEM ones as this is no match to the cheaper Bosch. OEM is very expensive, but the quality of these wipers are leagues ahead and gives a better life.

Battery:

Looks like it is designed to die every two years ��

1. The stock Exide battery - 2 years and 26 days (62,930 Kms)
2. The replaced Amaron battery - 2 years and 25 days (54,434 Kms), this was replaced under warranty.

I thought Amaron will last longer than Exide, but it fell short by one day.

Timing Belt:

Timing belt was a periodic replacement at 75K Kms. As per the technician, it was in good condition, but I got it replaced to keep the Warranty/Extended Warranty intact.

Wheel lugnuts:

It’s a known issue with these cap-type lug nuts that if the cap gets misaligned then it is difficult to remove it. Whenever the tyres were removed, I was having issue with atleast 2-3 nuts. So, I got the complete set replaced with the normal nuts @ 1,01,884 Kms.

Clutch/Flywheel:

I got this replaced recently @ 1,41,500 Kms. I didn’t face any issues except for the hardness. But still I went ahead and replaced the clutch along with the Flywheel.

Engine Mounts:

C-Mount was replaced at 1,19,668 Kms
Transmission Mount was replaced at 1,41,500 Kms

Front Windscreen:

This was replaced at around 34K Kms. It was due to a stone hit/crack on the highway and had to get it replaced by claiming the insurance.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-6_ws.png

Mud Guard/Flap:

The mud guard on the front were replaced twice due to damages to it. Once it broke when it hit a big stone while reversing.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-7_mud-guard.png

Interiors:

The quality of the interiors has been good with all the switches, plastic parts are still looking good. Its around 50K Kms since I last got a deep interior cleaning done, need to get one done soon. Here are some pics of the current state,

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-8_in.jpg

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-8a_in.jpg

TPMS – Sensairy:

Its 3 years and 6 months since I got this fitted. Till date, I have replaced 3 of them as they stopped working.

Fuel Efficiency:

The average fuel efficiency till date is 14.23 Kmpl. If you show enough patience while driving on the highway, this engine can easily give you 18-20Kmpl+.

In city driving conditions, I get around 10-12 Kmpl

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-9_fe.png

Overall Fuel Efficiency: You can see that it is consistently around the 14.1 to 14.2 range.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-9_fe_avg.png

Fuel Preference:

I go for the standard fuel and prefer BPCL than others. In between I switched to IOCL for XtraGreen diesel which helped to up the fuel efficiency by a small margin but, availability on the highway was an issue. So, I moved back to BPCL.

Name:  9_FE_FS.png
Views: 297
Size:  34.6 KB

Fuel Price range during this ownership so far

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-9_fe_price.png

Other details on Fuel efficiency

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-9_fe-numbers.png

Usage Pattern:

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-10_odo-share.png

Annual Usage

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-11_annual-usage.png

No: Days taken for every 5K Kms

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-12_5k-usage.png

Wheel Alignment/Balancing:

All WA/WB has been done at Madhus except once or twice when I got it done at PPS. I normally get it done every 5-7K Kms but there have been a few misses and at times it has gone upto 10-11K between WA//WB too.

Name:  13_Madhus.png
Views: 298
Size:  671.2 KB

The two long drives during the last one year:

1. The Rajasthan drive Organized by Jeep

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...-jeeplife.html (4332 Kms road-trip from Bangalore to Udaipur & Jawai in a Jeep Compass (#JeepLife))

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-7.jpeg

2. Monsoon drive with friends

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...ve-2023-a.html (When 17 cars get drenched in the rains | 2000 km journey to the Konkan coast | Monsoon Drive 2023)

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-t5.jpg

Water wash at Carzspa in Nagercoil

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-14_ww.jpg

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-14a_ww.jpg

A short drive to Kanyakumari beach (from Nagercoil)

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-15a.jpg

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-15b.jpg

With my Dad’s Indica which has done 1,44,000 Kms too

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-16.jpg

Current ODO

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-17_odo.jpg

That’s it for now. Looking forward to many more happy and safe miles with Scarlett

Last edited by arun_josie : 9th April 2024 at 14:04.
arun_josie is online now   (96) Thanks
Old 11th April 2024, 10:05   #482
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 5 Years Ownership Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
One more year goes by, and I have now completed 5 years of ownership with Scarlett
Heartiest Congratulations Arun! Your journey with Scarlett has been amazing and inspirational for sure! I have been following your thread from Day 1 and it has always been truly one of the most interesting threads and the thread I looks forward to reading more every time. You have driven your car so well, driven so much, taken her to all parts of the country, and shared the details here with us to enjoy, appreciate, and get inspired from! Thank you very much for your efforts in all of this.

Cars need to be driven. Need to be driven a lot. Only then they create real stories that the owner can passionately share with others (a "garage queen" has no stories to tell). Your thread is one of the best examples of creating memories and stories through actual driving and using the car in real-world conditions.

Once again congratulations on completing 5 years in this amazing journey, and wish you and Scarlett many many more happy miles!

Last edited by Dr.AD : 11th April 2024 at 10:10.
Dr.AD is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 11th April 2024, 10:57   #483
Senior - BHPian

re: Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!

Man, that's an amazing journey. A big one in a short span of time. I really liked the 0-5K graph. Just reminded me of Cricket scoreboard, very novel way of looking at the odo. Must say, you have a lot connected with this car. The usage is pretty high for a 5 year old car but that's why we are all connected here! Happy driving ahead!
Raghu M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th April 2024, 11:39   #484
BHPian

re: Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!

Incredible record keeping. Inspired by you I have been maintaining similar records in an Excel file from day 1. Happy 5th anniversary and cheers to many more years with the scarlet. Hopefully, we will someday meet in one of the Jeep events.
yashg is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th April 2024, 12:09   #485
BHPian

Amazing and incredible maintenance and record keeping !! Now that it is out of Extended warranty, do you intend to get it serviced by FNGs.
saurabhb2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2024, 18:34   #486
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Congratulations on completing 5 years. Its very meticulous of you to keep records. Its amazing really, shows the love for your ownership.
Excellently maintained too. Keep driving. This is a long race horse.
RunGaDa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2024, 10:28   #487

This is some level of maintaining the car and record keeping. I am actually learning to love my car reading threads like this. Thank you and congratulations!
Bornfree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2024, 19:03   #488
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
Heartiest Congratulations Arun! Your journey with Scarlett has been amazing and inspirational for sure! I have been following your thread from Day 1 and it has always been truly one of the most interesting threads and the thread I looks forward to reading more every time. You have driven your car so well, driven so much, taken her to all parts of the country, and shared the details here with us to enjoy, appreciate, and get inspired from! Thank you very much for your efforts in all of this.

Cars need to be driven. Need to be driven a lot. Only then they create real stories that the owner can passionately share with others (a "garage queen" has no stories to tell). Your thread is one of the best examples of creating memories and stories through actual driving and using the car in real-world conditions.
Thanks a lot for your very kind words, Dr.AD.

During the last one year, cycling took out some mileage from Scarlett but I was still able to do some good drives. Its now about managing both driving and cycling.

Some of my dream drives are still pending, will plan for that soon.
Quote:
Once again congratulations on completing 5 years in this amazing journey, and wish you and Scarlett many many more happy miles!
Thanks a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
Man, that's an amazing journey. A big one in a short span of time. I really liked the 0-5K graph. Just reminded me of Cricket scoreboard, very novel way of looking at the odo. Must say, you have a lot connected with this car. The usage is pretty high for a 5 year old car but that's why we are all connected here! Happy driving ahead!
Thank you, Raghu M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yashg View Post
Incredible record keeping. Inspired by you I have been maintaining similar records in an Excel file from day 1. Happy 5th anniversary and cheers to many more years with the scarlet.
Good to hear. There are lot of apps available these days but somehow I like to keep it simple with these Excel sheets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yashg View Post
Hopefully, we will someday meet in one of the Jeep events.
Sure, it would be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhb2000 View Post
Amazing and incredible maintenance and record keeping !! Now that it is out of Extended warranty, do you intend to get it serviced by FNGs.
I have not thought much about it yet. I think normal service should be still fine at the authorized service station. I will decide when I am closer to the next service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunGaDa View Post
Congratulations on completing 5 years. Its very meticulous of you to keep records. Its amazing really, shows the love for your ownership.
Excellently maintained too. Keep driving. This is a long race horse.
Thank You, RunGaDa !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bornfree View Post
This is some level of maintaining the car and record keeping. I am actually learning to love my car reading threads like this. Thank you and congratulations!
Thank you, Bornfree!
arun_josie is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2024, 21:08   #489
BHPian

Many Congratulations Arun and wishes for many more joyful fun-filled rides with your Scarlett.

Yours has been the thread that I have followed from the day I started seriously looking at Jeep Compass as my next ride. And truly this has been a great partner on the roads.

One quick question on the below. Do you also do wheel rotation along with your routine WA/WB?
Quote:
Wheel Alignment/Balancing:

All WA/WB has been done at Madhus except once or twice when I got it done at PPS. I normally get it done every 5-7K Kms but there have been a few misses and at times it has gone upto 10-11K between WA//WB too.
abhaumik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2024, 22:13   #490
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhaumik View Post
Many Congratulations Arun and wishes for many more joyful fun-filled rides with your Scarlett.
Thank You

Quote:

One quick question on the below. Do you also do wheel rotation along with your routine WA/WB?
Yes, its done during every WA/WB visit.
arun_josie is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2024, 10:25   #491
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your detailed account. You have fully enjoyed Compass' company.
Taking account of your expenses over jeep , it is almost 4 lacs in five years. Seems to be on higher side but would not be correct to comment unless have data for other cars of similar category.
Keep enjoying the ride
Regards

Last edited by ampere : 23rd April 2024 at 22:39.
fawad0222 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2024, 10:54   #492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawad0222 View Post
Taking account of your expenses over jeep , it is almost 4 lacs in five years. Seems to be on higher side but would not be correct to comment unless have data for other cars of similar category.
Keep enjoying the ride
Regards
Do note that the car has run close to 1.5L kms. The two sets of tires and the battery cost close to a Lac so that is around 25% of the total expenses. Per Km service costs are INR 1.85 which is reasonable in my view for a Jeep. You cannot compare it with the Mahindras and Tatas though - they could be cheaper.
Pancham is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2024, 22:14   #493
Distinguished - BHPian

Drive to Kasargod, Chennai, Nagercoil and ODO @ 1,47,000 Km

A drive to Kasargod:

I took the Mysore expressway - Madikeri - Sullia - Bandadka - Kuttikol route. This is the first time I am taking this Bandadka route and its more scenic with better roads than the route via Jalsoor - Galimukha. It’s also shorter by 2Kms and quicker too. Not sure why google defaults to the route via Jalsoor - Galimukha.

It was a better experience on the Mysore expressway this time with most of the vehicles maintaining decent speeds. No rash driving or driving in the opp direction either.

Here are few pics,

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-1.jpeg

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-2.jpeg

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-3.jpeg

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-4.jpeg

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-5.jpeg

Overall trip details

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-6.jpeg

A drive to Chennai/Nagercoil:

This drive was spread across 10 days and included around 100 Kms of drive in Chennai traffic. The new clutch made a big difference as its very light. Chennai – Nagercoil drive was with my Dad, so couldn’t make an early start from Chennai instead had to started after noon. Start was around 12:30 pm and I had to navigate through the traffic till Chengalpattu. After that it was bliss except for the occasional diversions due to the construction. It took us 9 hours and 30 mins including two breaks.

During a stop a Temple City hotel on the Trichy - Madurai stretch

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-7.jpeg

Stop at Sree Saravana Bhavan near Kovilpatti(During Nagercoil – Chennai drive) :

This place has been renovated and is a good option to stop while driving on the Madurai - Tirunelveli stretch. You get all those famous local sweets here. (Tirunelveli halwa, Srivilliputhur palkova, Kovilpatti chikki,Kamarakattu, Tuticorin macaroons etc). The food is good as well. There is a juice shop and few other shops along with it.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-8.jpeg

Dinner at Kolapasi Indian Canteen (Anna Nagar, Chennai):

This is one of my friend’s restaurant venture and hence wanted to try out the food here. This is located in Anna nagar and the evening traffic from Vadapalani till Anna nagar was horrible. The last 3 Kms took almost 30 mins.

Coming back to this restaurant, they serve both veg and non-veg here. You have an option to taste the food before ordering here.

We had the boneless chicken briyani, boneless mutton briyani, prawns chukka and chicken chukka. Everything tasted excellent. Mango bread halwa was awesome too.

They also have a coconut based drink called Slado. It was very nice.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-9.jpeg

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-10.jpeg

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-11.jpeg

Chennai – Bangalore:

During the Chennai- Bangalore drive last Sunday, I got stuck in some very bad traffic jams at the diversion near Ambur, Krishnagiri and Hosur. Of course, bad jams at the Krishnagiri and Hosur toll too. Being a sunday evening return, I should have planned for a better timing but unfortunately, I couldn't. This drive took 7 hours (3:45 PM to 10:45 PM) with one stop at A2B, Arcot. This is my slowest drive between Bangalore – Chennai.

Overall trip details. This includes some spirited driving and lot of driving in Chennai traffic.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-12.jpeg

[quote=fawad0222;5755704]
Quote:

Keep enjoying the ride
Regards
In my opinion, when the vehicle is running more, the calculation should be made for per KM rather than per year. I am fine with the maintenance expense so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Do note that the car has run close to 1.5L kms. The two sets of tires and the battery cost close to a Lac so that is around 25% of the total expenses. Per Km service costs are INR 1.85 which is reasonable in my view for a Jeep.
That's right

Last edited by arun_josie : 23rd April 2024 at 22:17.
arun_josie is online now   (12) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks