Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2019, 17:27   #16
BHPian

re: From Car to Thar | Story of my Mahindra Thar 700 (Signature Edition) | EDIT: 60,000 km update

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post
Hearty Congratulations to you on owning the Mighty Thar. Many people dream about having one, but eventually do not buy for various pressing reasons. There are only few who go ahead with their decisions and realize their dreams.

I am on my second Thar (used) now and i enjoy every moment of it.
Good luck with your little mods and enjoy this wonderful machine. There is nothing like it

Swami
Hi Swami69, Your name did came up when I had a word with Bhpian Sjcherian during my delima stage. I have also checked your ownership thread of your Thar multiple times and I must say you love this vehicle to the core.

Thanks for the pointers will surely check it out. Can you PM the link to Bolero ZLX IRVM on m2all website?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Congrats on the Thar! Must commend you for choosing the Thar over all else. More than you, your child that you and your wife are expecting would have most fun; if it turns out to be a boy he'll just lovely his daddy for bringing him home in a Thar. I used to drool over a Willy's Jeep catalogue as a child, used to go over it again and again every night. From the Swift to a Thar, that's going to be one helluva roller coaster ride. I don't see any music system in the dash and you better change to a hard top, for security and weather protection reasons as this is going to be your prime car. Probably, you may need insulation and sound deadening in the firewall and wheel wells and floor. Happy motoring, Abhi and all the best to you, your wife and family. You may have to remove those rear side facing seats and go for a custom front facing bench for some semblance of comfort. Ideally give to some good coach builder who will make it a lot comfortable than the stock trim.
Thanks for the best wishes sir. I am in agreement with almost all the things you have mentioned.

The music system is planned in this month. However, I am little reluctant on modifying the soft top and rear seats. Soft top because I like the look of it, thinking of opting for insulation as suggested. Secondly, most of the time its me and my wife or a +1 be it in Swift or in Thar. So what I have thought of is to add a removable seat in between the bench seats. This will also act as a bed for long trips. Let's see. I am not in a hurry for anything as of now enjoying the way it is and waiting to let it set in.
abhikb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2019, 07:25   #17
Senior - BHPian

re: From Car to Thar | Story of my Mahindra Thar 700 (Signature Edition) | EDIT: 60,000 km update

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhikb View Post
The music system is planned in this month. However, I am little reluctant on modifying the soft top and rear seats. Soft top because I like the look of it, thinking of opting for insulation as suggested. Secondly, most of the time its me and my wife or a +1 be it in Swift or in Thar. So what I have thought of is to add a removable seat in between the bench seats. This will also act as a bed for long trips. Let's see. I am not in a hurry for anything as of now enjoying the way it is and waiting to let it set in.
Soft top is okay if your Thar is a recreational (mud plugging) vehicle: even then a soft top would be difficult to maintain once it gets dirty, if you're going to use it for outstation/long trips, then it will be a security hazard and also not weather proof. I've sat in that rear side facing bench on a (MM550) 120 kms round trip to a picnic spot it's the most uncomfortable place to be in as one get's thrown around a lot you always need a grab handle to get a hold on so that you don't hit the roof, due to the leaf spring suspension behind: you can't sit in one place let alone sleep.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 14th September 2019 at 07:32.
Durango Dude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2019, 09:02   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Soft top is okay if your Thar is a recreational (mud plugging) vehicle: even then a soft top would be difficult to maintain once it gets dirty, if you're going to use it for outstation/long trips, then it will be a security hazard and also not weather proof. I've sat in that rear side facing bench on a (MM550) 120 kms round trip to a picnic spot it's the most uncomfortable place to be in as one get's thrown around a lot you always need a grab handle to get a hold on so that you don't hit the roof, due to the leaf spring suspension behind: you can't sit in one place let alone sleep.
Good morning, I agree with your point and there is no denial in it. But as I said in my last post, I am just going by the flow and waiting to set it in. The fund is kept reserved for the changes/modifications, as soon as I zero down on what to do and what not to I will take a call.
abhikb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2019, 12:15   #19
Senior - BHPian

Heartiest congratulations buddy, finally the D day arrived and delivery happened.Though missed to catch this machine on our meet day but now we got another reason to meet soon.Keep exploring and enjoying this machine to the fullest its capable of.
Old 14th September 2019, 13:30   #20
BHPian

Congratulations

Congratulations on acquiring a piece of Indian Automotive History.

Quote:
Unlike other cars the AC doesn’t get the option of whether to extract ambient air or to circulate the inside air.
Did you confirm it by referring the manual or talking to the dealer? Maybe if you adjust the temperature to the coolest setting, it recirculates?
However, being a Jeep, I'm pretty sure that there would be an aftermarket workaround to make it recirculate.
TN13Sleeper is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2019, 13:34   #21
BHPian

Hearty congratulations on your new love! Read the thread in one go, you have reignited my heart to look out for Thar. I was waiting for the next gen to be launched with much niggles sorted out.
Old 14th September 2019, 15:06   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaythacker View Post
Heartiest congratulations buddy, finally the D day arrived and delivery happened.Though missed to catch this machine on our meet day but now we got another reason to meet soon.Keep exploring and enjoying this machine to the fullest its capable of.
Thanks Vijaybhai. We have a strong reason for the next meet-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN13Sleeper View Post
Congratulations on acquiring a piece of Indian Automotive History.

Did you confirm it by referring the manual or talking to the dealer? Maybe if you adjust the temperature to the coolest setting, it recirculates?
However, being a Jeep, I'm pretty sure that there would be an aftermarket workaround to make it recirculate.
Thanks. Unfortunately thats the reality. My personal take is to avoid aftermarket alteration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .HEM View Post
Hearty congratulations on your new love! Read the thread in one go, you have reignited my heart to look out for Thar. I was waiting for the next gen to be launched with much niggles sorted out.
Thanks buddy. Thar is such a product which hits you hard.
abhikb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2019, 05:30   #23
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations Abhik! Nice to see that you are happy with the purchase and I am feeling good that I was not able to dissuade you from buying the Thar in-spite of pointing out all the flaws in our chat I just wish Mahindra had provided the ABS and MLD when I had bought the Thar. Feeling a bit shortchanged now :-(

Excellent review and rated 5 stars! Hope to see the Thar take you to hard-to-reach destinations.
BlackPearl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2019, 07:24   #24
BHPian

Congratulations on the Thar abhikb ! Nice review and photos. Thanks for mentioning me in it !

My suggestion as per Dear BD's words is to keep things at stock specs for mechanicals and simple for any add ons. Dont bother with the remote keyless or power windows or front facing seats and retain the stock feel. Music system is a must have but dont expect great acoustic experience with the Thar ! Rear side facing seats have been useful when I need to ferry my dog to the vet, taking 7-8 team members for a lunch outing or family members for a short trip to the beach where I dont need to worry about sand or wet clothes!

Have loads of fun on your daily drives and enjoy the long drives. Just remember to stay under 100kmph as you are in a thick tin can. Glad your version has ABS !

When you get good weather you must drive it without the top. You will love the experience. Fixing the top back is a big effort so be ready for that.

Have fun and keep posting updates !
sjcherian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th September 2019, 11:08   #25
BHPian

Re: From Car to Thar. The Story of our Thar 700 (Signature Edition)

Quote:
*SNIP*

ABS Indication when engine is turned On:
Attachment 1914644

*SNIP*
Congratulations on your purchase - the car looks great!

I have one question re. the ABS indicator/button - is it actually a switch or merely an indicator? My interest is in knowing if ABS can be turned off to help with certain off-road situations.

Thanks and cheers
Old 15th September 2019, 11:50   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Congratulations Abhik! Nice to see that you are happy with the purchase and I am feeling good that I was not able to dissuade you from buying the Thar in-spite of pointing out all the flaws in our chat I just wish Mahindra had provided the ABS and MLD when I had bought the Thar. Feeling a bit shortchanged now :-(

Excellent review and rated 5 stars! Hope to see the Thar take you to hard-to-reach destinations.
Thanks Sumitro da. After owning the Thar for 1+ month, I feel it’s not a car it’s an emotion which you will enjoy inspite of the flaws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
Congratulations on the Thar abhikb ! Nice review and photos. Thanks for mentioning me in it !

My suggestion as per Dear BD's words is to keep things at stock specs for mechanicals and simple for any add ons.

Have fun and keep posting updates !
Thanks SJ for liking the thread. I too share the same opinion of enjoying it as is. Unfortunately driving it without the top in Ahmedabad is a distant dream, it’s damn hot in summers, leakedly humid in monsoon, only in winters I can maybe let’s see. Right now I am just soaking into this beauty. Will surely keep the thread updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Congratulations on your purchase - the car looks great!

I have one question re. the ABS indicator/button - is it actually a switch or merely an indicator? My interest is in knowing if ABS can be turned off to help with certain off-road situations.

Thanks and cheers
Hi, thanks. It is ABS Indication light and not a button. I don’t have any idea on whether it can be bypassed during off roading.
Old 15th September 2019, 12:37   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations, welcome to the Jeep life

You have a special Thar, please keep that classic jeep looks. A front bumper swap to CJ series perhaps is a necessity, other than that you can leave everything as is for now and enjoy the ride.

The side facing rear seats are comfy for long trips as well, provided the driver has learned to drive without throwing people around. Its not a car, its not a crossover , its a Jeep, it demands a lot of attention and care from the driver to keep it between the dots on highway.

Although many do not buy it for practical reasons (Family perhaps), its quite the opposite when it comes to family members - they love to travel in it even for 200+ km trips, the side facing seats are great for conversations.

Do take a look inside the engine bay once in a few weeks (Its good exercise as well), the radiator overflow reservoir can sometimes spill coolant , a top up maybe required.
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2019, 17:35   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Congratulations, welcome to the Jeep life

You have a special Thar, please keep that classic jeep looks. A front bumper swap to CJ series perhaps is a necessity, other than that you can leave everything as is for now and enjoy the ride.

The side facing rear seats are comfy for long trips as well, provided the driver has learned to drive without throwing people around. Its not a car, its not a crossover , its a Jeep, it demands a lot of attention and care from the driver to keep it between the dots on highway.

Although many do not buy it for practical reasons (Family perhaps), its quite the opposite when it comes to family members - they love to travel in it even for 200+ km trips, the side facing seats are great for conversations.

Do take a look inside the engine bay once in a few weeks (Its good exercise as well), the radiator overflow reservoir can sometimes spill coolant , a top up maybe required.
Thanks kosfactor for going through the thread and sharing the pointers.
Old 15th September 2019, 17:48   #29
BHPian

Congratulations for the Jeep. Nothing will ever compare to this iconic vehicle. Maybe the Classic. I am so J. . Enjoy the many miles and 4x4 low range!
Old 15th September 2019, 18:03   #30
BHPian

Re: From Car to Thar. The Story of our Thar 700 (Signature Edition)

Quote:
Thar gets disc brakes in the front and drum brakes at the rear with ABS. Many existing owners have constantly complained about the poor braking of the Thar but it seems that the woes have ended with the addition of ABS as the braking has become quite effective.

Does this mean that this ABS and brakes system has been lifted off the previous gen Mahindra Scorpio?

Also, how does one engage the Manual locking rear differential?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks