Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2019, 23:06   #31
BHPian

re: From Car to Thar | Story of my Mahindra Thar 700 (Signature Edition) | EDIT: 60,000 km update

Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh1977 View Post
Congratulations for the Jeep. Nothing will ever compare to this iconic vehicle. Maybe the Classic. I am so J. . Enjoy the many miles and 4x4 low range!
Thanks buddy. I agree totally with what you said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miel View Post
Does this mean that this ABS and brakes system has been lifted off the previous gen Mahindra Scorpio?

Also, how does one engage the Manual locking rear differential?
Hey buddy, not sure about the ABS being lifted off the Scorpio. As far as MLD, it engages automatically whenever any of the rear wheels looses traction and it engages without drivers intervention.
abhikb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 17:48   #32
BHPian

re: From Car to Thar | Story of my Mahindra Thar 700 (Signature Edition) | EDIT: 60,000 km update

Congratulations, Abhikb!

We know how hard it was for you to wait till the D day to get your hands on the dream machine! Especially when the car was already at the dealership stockyard. Kudos to your patience.

As Vijay mentioned, we have another reason for the next meet. Let’s plan one soon!

Ride Safe,
R-Six
Old 17th September 2019, 12:19   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Six View Post
Congratulations, Abhikb!

We know how hard it was for you to wait till the D day to get your hands on the dream machine! Especially when the car was already at the dealership stockyard. Kudos to your patience.

As Vijay mentioned, we have another reason for the next meet. Let’s plan one soon!

Ride Safe,
R-Six
Thanks. It indeed was a tough period to wait till D-Day. But as it is said patience rewards sweet and I am enjoying the reward every day. Yes let’s have the meet-up soon.
Old 17th September 2019, 17:37   #34
Team-BHP Support

Re: From Car to Thar. The Story of our Thar 700 (Signature Edition)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miel View Post
Also, how does one engage the Manual locking rear differential?
It engages automatically as soon as there is difference in rpm over a certain threshold. For more info you can Google for Eaton MLDs, there are some informative videos. This is a video of bhpian Navsjab's Thar with the MLD getting activated -

BlackPearl is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th September 2019, 13:00   #35
Senior - BHPian

Where is the MLD switch / lever located ? My older version Thar doesn't have one.
Old 20th September 2019, 13:42   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
Where is the MLD switch / lever located ? My older version Thar doesn't have one.
Hi, MLD lever or switch is not available in this version.
Old 20th September 2019, 14:39   #37
Senior - BHPian

Just to clear the point. Thar as a Eaton MLD which is a Mechanically Locking Differential. It detects wheelspin via rotation and engages the the difflock automatically machanically.
navpreet318 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2019, 09:34   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhikb View Post
Well I would first like to introduce my Thar 700 to the world before I take you through the journey of how I chose to follow my heart over mind.
Thank You, abhikb, for the fantastic introduction.

You will enjoy the ride to the core; just take care to keep corrosion at bay and you will be fine.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2019, 19:13   #39
BHPian

It has been close to 3 months since I have owned this beauty and hence thought of updating this thread.

So, my Thar has clocked 3800 kms in less than a week left to completing 3 months of ownership. I have been using the Thar daily for office and all other places, the road tripping activity will remain on Hold for few more months due to obvious reasons. I am waiting to clock 5000 kms which I expect it to reach in a month’s time. Post that my Thar would go for first service.

I am pretty satisfied with using the Thar, it lives to my expectations overshadowing it’s imperfections. There is nothing to drive like this and the road presence is humongous.

Well moving ahead with the updates on the Thar:

Issues:

The lock latch of the rear door and passenger side door has given away. So is the lock of the glove box. I will get this fixed next week once the workshop opens after Diwali shutdown.

Upgrades:

Got touchscreen music system installed last week. The details are as follows:

1) Touchscreen make and model: Sony XAV-AX3000
2) Speakers: Pair of JBL A500HI 3 way speakers
3) Cost:
- Touchsreen: Rs. 12,200
- Speakers: Rs. 3,800
- Installation: Rs. 3,200
- Total expense: Rs. 19,200

The speakers have been installed in wooden box behind the front seats. Initially I had planned for front speakers, but the voice call feature will work only with the front speakers hence I need to get one installed. . Will get this fixed next weekend. I will post my review on the music system in the next update.

Furthermore I am not able to zero down on whether to continue with the soft top or go for modification. As a first step I am thinking of getting soft top insulation done as it is a cheaper option and there won’t be any harm if I have to replace it later on.

I would request fellow Bhpians for providing some inputs on FRP v/s Metal hardtop. My main priority is to get something that would last and not compromise the rear headroom as I have observed with many products.

Thanks

Abhik Banerjee
abhikb is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th December 2019, 22:07   #40
BHPian

Quick update:

My Thar completed 5000 kms this week and went for its first service. The following things were conducted during the service by MASS:

1) Routine servicing
2) Engine oil and oil filters changed
3) Wiper fluid and coolant topped up
4) Broken lock latch on the passenger door and rear door replaced with new ones.
5) Glove box was not closing which was resolved

Overall I am happy with the work done and response by the Service station team. The vehicle was picked up from home on time and it was ready by the time I reached service station. I also took the opportunity and asked them to procure Bolero IRVM with day night feature, will get the IRVM replaced in the coming week. Unfortunately since it was a busy day at work I couldn’t get the time to clock any photos of the Thar in Service station.

At the onset of Diwali we were blessed with a baby girl who has been keeping me very busy since last 1.5 months. Luckily my kiddo doesn’t get cranky and smiles when riding in the Thar. After completing the 21 days customary isolation we have been taking our daughter out for a small ride every few days. I am hoping that she will love it more as she grows up.

Well I haven’t been able to venture out with the Thar and have been driving it for work and in the city only. Hopefully things will change as an outing to Mount Abu with office colleagues is about to materialise in the next weekend followed with Teambhp winter meet-up on 29th December in Vadodara.

From Car to Thar | Story of my Mahindra Thar 700 (Signature Edition) | 80,000 Kms completed-2bb2ccfe709a46808f941f82f9005aa4.jpeg
My daughter’s 1st outing at 22 days. Finally could capture my 3 beauties in a single frame.

ICE Review:

From Car to Thar | Story of my Mahindra Thar 700 (Signature Edition) | 80,000 Kms completed-6798a286c12a468fb8bbb5833accc43a.jpeg

From Car to Thar | Story of my Mahindra Thar 700 (Signature Edition) | 80,000 Kms completed-6bb81a7a39884c5591733d1c0c4c9433.jpeg

As Conveyed in the previous update, I got a touchscreen music system installed in the Thar. It has been almost 2 months since I have been using the system and the performance is quite satisfactory. Although enthusiasts will not enjoy the response of the touchscreen but it does the job for me. The sound effect of the JBL speakers is marvellous, almost all the ambient noise transmits inside the cabin due to the soft top yet the speakers don’t disappoint yet all.

Plus points of the system:

1) Equipped with Apple car play and android auto.
2) Bluetooth connectivity and calling feature available.
3) Doesn’t create a problem due to sunlight glare.
4) 3 way speakers gives very satisfactory performance.

Negatives:

1) Phone calls are only audible with front speakers and doesn’t work with rear speakers. Hence will have to get front speakers installed.
2) Touch response little slow at times.
3) The screen used to black out whenever a button was pressed. This happened for the 1st few days, later on the problem resolved on its own.

Last edited by abhikb : 14th December 2019 at 22:31.
abhikb is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 14th December 2019, 22:49   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1945736
My daughter’s 1st outing at 22 days. Finally could capture my 3 beauties in a single frame.
Congrat's Abhi, God bless the baby girl and her family. Happy Motoring and Parenting to you and your Mrs!
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2019, 12:06   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Negatives:

1) Phone calls are only audible with front speakers and doesn’t work with rear speakers. Hence will have to get front speakers installed.

You had mentioned this in an earlier post too. I was wondering why you cannot designate these existing speakers as "front" speakers instead of spending money on buying additional speakers. I am not an handyman, but I am sure this must just be a matter of wiring the speakers to the "front" terminals in your player unit?

Cheers
tilt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 21:44   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Congrat's Abhi, God bless the baby girl and her family. Happy Motoring and Parenting to you and your Mrs!
Thank you sir for the blessings and best wishes!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
You had mentioned this in an earlier post too. I was wondering why you cannot designate these existing speakers as "front" speakers instead of spending money on buying additional speakers. I am not an handyman, but I am sure this must just be a matter of wiring the speakers to the "front" terminals in your player unit?

Cheers
I have that in mind but will have to check with the vendor who installed the system. Unless and until the port of the speaker wire is same this option should work but I am not a expert so can’t confirm as of now. Let’s see once I Get it replaced will post an update.
abhikb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 22:19   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
At the onset of Diwali we were blessed with a baby girl who has been keeping me very busy since last 1.5 months.
Congratulation abhikb! She will surely love the Thar.
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 22:20   #45
BHPian

Congratulations Abhi. One of the best pics of Thar with the baby beaming bright in the front.

Wish you and your family a memorable Thar ownership. May the new born see the world from an enthusiast's eye.

Only if I could send this to her.
Attached Thumbnails
From Car to Thar | Story of my Mahindra Thar 700 (Signature Edition) | 80,000 Kms completed-screenshot_201912172245102.png  

Last edited by VWAllstar : 17th December 2019 at 22:46.
VWAllstar is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks