Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2020, 20:33   #16
BHPian

Re: An Unsung Paladin : Ford Fiesta 1.6 S

Congratulations on acquiring one of the endangered species! Glad you got one.
I remember one of the auto-journalists writing at that time - If you love driving, buy a BMW, if you can’t afford it, buy this!
‘Go Fida!’

Your search of the car, reminds me an incident. I came across a well maintained Skoda Fabia 1.6P. The owner was not interested in selling it. I asked him, why did you buy a 1.6 over a 1.2? He replied, this colour was available only in 1.6 How non-enthusiastic people can be.
swapnil.awate is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th April 2020, 23:32   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = mc² View Post
Any guess on the car from which the image was taken from?
Tough one, at least for me - a Commodore?
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2020, 23:43   #18

Quote:
Thank You, GTO!
Found this image from the archive when someone from Bangalore examined a Fiesta for me. Any guess on the car from which the image was taken from.?
Is it a 2004 VZ Monaro? My uncle used to own a 2004 Pontiac GTO which was basically this car.
ST172 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2020, 10:00   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's a low odo reading considering the year in which it was bought. My rate of usage should be even lower than that. Have you ever experienced rusting issues till date.? Btw, the car looks awesome!
Fiesta is one among the 5 cars at home and used only on highways hence the low odo.

Regarding rust, yes, below both the ORVMs. No where else on the body.
Attached Thumbnails
An Unsung Paladin : Ford Fiesta 1.6 S-20200405_073711.jpg  

An Unsung Paladin : Ford Fiesta 1.6 S-20200405_073733.jpg  

arun1100 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2020, 12:22   #20
Senior - BHPian

Great review of an iconic car! Sad that it is no longer in production.

I'm surprised you said the NVH is bad---I have a 1.6 sxi and hardly any road noise creeps in, when compared to my WagonR. If you are referring to engine snarl at revvs higher than 3000 on the tacho, then you do have a point, but most of us LOVE that snarl!

Thankfully for me, I have no rust issues so far. I'd spent nearly 7 k when the car was new on getting anti-rust on the door panels and other vulnerable spots, and it seems to have paid off.

Hope you enjoy your car in the years to come.
vnabhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2020, 13:24   #21
BHPian

Quote:

Found this image from the archive when someone from Bangalore examined a Fiesta for me. Any guess on the car from which the image was taken from.?

Attachment 1988570
Congratulations on the 1.6S!

Few months back, while I was checking out the new Baleno RS/Tiago JTP for a daily drive replacement, I did have consider the Fiesta 1.6S in the used car market and most probably had contacted the owner of the very same black 1.6S, as the expected price was very much reasonable by inflated Bangalore price standards for used cars.
At present, even though, I didn't go with any purchase yet, I do keep checking out 1.6S reviews and videos. And, that's why this thread has been a treat for me over the lock-down period which I was enjoying quietly until this post.

Pretty curious about this car, is it the white DL redg, Commodore V6? I do get to see a DL commodore often near HSR area (Bangalore), and would be very surprised if there is another one. I am guessing that the white DL commodore may link back to this: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...tml#post260887 (Spotted Holden Commodore V6 in Delhi)

Last edited by arighna.dutta : 5th April 2020 at 13:26.
arighna.dutta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2020, 14:19   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swapnil.awate View Post
Congratulations on acquiring one of the endangered species! Glad you got one.
I remember one of the auto-journalists writing at that time - If you love driving, buy a BMW, if you can’t afford it, buy this!
‘Go Fida!’

Your search of the car, reminds me an incident. I came across a well maintained Skoda Fabia 1.6P. The owner was not interested in selling it. I asked him, why did you buy a 1.6 over a 1.2? He replied, this colour was available only in 1.6 How non-enthusiastic people can be.
I remember them calling it a Front Wheel Drive BMW - slightly over hyped in that phrase, I'd say

Actually, those kind of first owners work into our advantage when we're out in the used car market hunting for a spirited car. Since they really don't know about how valuable and almost extinct the car is, they'd just let it go at the market price. Just a matter of time until their novelty runs out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Tough one, at least for me - a Commodore?
Gotcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST172 View Post
Is it a 2004 VZ Monaro? My uncle used to own a 2004 Pontiac GTO which was basically this car.
This one's a Holden Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Fiesta is one among the 5 cars at home and used only on highways hence the low odo.

Regarding rust, yes, below both the ORVMs. No where else on the body.
Doors are usually attacked by the rust. Mine was all the way below and none around the OVRMs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Great review of an iconic car! Sad that it is no longer in production.

I'm surprised you said the NVH is bad---I have a 1.6 sxi and hardly any road noise creeps in, when compared to my WagonR. If you are referring to engine snarl at revvs higher than 3000 on the tacho, then you do have a point, but most of us LOVE that snarl!

Thankfully for me, I have no rust issues so far. I'd spent nearly 7 k when the car was new on getting anti-rust on the door panels and other vulnerable spots, and it seems to have paid off.

Hope you enjoy your car in the years to come.
Thank you, Vnabhi.

Nah, I wasn't referring to the engine. Infact, I love that snarl too - reason why I enhanced it with the Pipercross. Noises I mentioned are mostly from the dashboard area. A few fellow S owners have weighed in positively about it as well. It isn't by anyway irritating, but can live with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arighna.dutta View Post
Congratulations on the 1.6S!

Few months back, while I was checking out the new Baleno RS/Tiago JTP for a daily drive replacement, I did have consider the Fiesta 1.6S in the used car market and most probably had contacted the owner of the very same black 1.6S, as the expected price was very much reasonable by inflated Bangalore price standards for used cars.
At present, even though, I didn't go with any purchase yet, I do keep checking out 1.6S reviews and videos. And, that's why this thread has been a treat for me over the lock-down period which I was enjoying quietly until this post.

Pretty curious about this car, is it the white DL redg, Commodore V6? I do get to see a DL commodore often near HSR area (Bangalore), and would be very surprised if there is another one. I am guessing that the white DL commodore may link back to this: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...tml#post260887 (Spotted Holden Commodore V6 in Delhi)
Thank you, Arighna. I'd have gotten that particular S if the owner allowed a visit to Ford for a thorough checking but he insisted everything to be done at his place only.

Yes, that's a Commodore. The one you see should be this Commodore. Only 2 have been imported into India to stay and the other one was repainted to red.
E = mc² is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2020, 14:52   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thank you, Vnabhi.

Nah, I wasn't referring to the engine. Infact, I love that snarl too - reason why I enhanced it with the Pipercross. Noises I mentioned are mostly from the dashboard area. A few fellow S owners have weighed in positively about it as well. It isn't by anyway irritating, but can live with.

Oh, so you meant dashboard rattles! Got you now. I'm lucky I hardly have those either. In comparison, both the Marutis I'd owned used to rattle like a snake in that area.

Normally NVH is used for referring to noise from the engine and outside creeping into the cabin, and hence my confurion.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2020, 16:24   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

I can't believe I'm reading a Fiesta 1.6S ownership story in 2020. Loved reading your thread. Thanks for sharing.

I wish you many more happy miles with the Fiesta.

Quote:
I was in a complete vexation and decided to post it in OLX to see what I could get.

Should I sell it.?

Just a day after the ad came to life, a gentleman from TN came forward with an offer which didn't seem bad. I clarified his queries and he transferred me a token after we both confirmed a date. It was an impromptu moment - I was just a few yards away from selling a car which I'd bought after months of exploration and it was something which I thought I'd never do, at least not sooner. I started to miss the car already despite it still idling in my garage. I had a long talk with the gentleman, indirectly trying to back off him from the deal, who wasn't ready to. After a turnstile of event, the guy messaged me one morning informing me that his mother got him a Tigor JTP as a surprise and he is no longer considering the Fiesta, and that's when I figured out that the car is here to stay.
I guess most Fiesta 1.6 owners have a story to tell.
kiku007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2020, 20:14   #25
BHPian

The Ikon, the classic fiesta and the EcoSport. Whatever happened to the trendsetting Ford?
Old 6th April 2020, 11:43   #26
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your fantastic decision and purchase

Not saying this because I own one, but the Fiesta 1.6 S is a really special car. The way the car stays tied down to the roads at triple digit speeds, the way it beautifully changes lanes with extremely minimal body roll, the live and electric feel from the steering wheel when taking corners after corners, all make the 1.6 S a magical car.

It is most definitely one of the best decisions I have taken in my life, and every time I have a good and eventful drive, this car really gives me that gleam in my eyes. I have kissed the steering wheel several times after dispatching series of curves or a tight corner with composure that would make a BMW proud!

Ford really nailed it with this car, and though there are small flaws with it, I have learnt to love it unconditionally, and have decided to keep it as long as I possibly can. My interests today has changed slowly from four wheelers to two wheelers, and I spend increasingly more time on my motorcycles these days, but my love for my BlueBolt has never waned. I still do not give it to anyone else to drive (at least not without a lot of hesitation), I have been quite blunt in saying 'No' to several relatives and colleagues when requested for a chance to drive.

Yesterday, the weather was so good, I sat down and had coffee admiring how beautiful my BlueBolt looks. And then I was on the floor trying to take a nice picture of her, when my mom and dad were giggling looking at how crazy I am

Well, they say - If you do not turn back and look at your car after you have parked, then you have bought the wrong car!

An Unsung Paladin : Ford Fiesta 1.6 S-bluebolt.jpg
Serenely Beautiful
aravind.anand is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 18:48   #27
BHPian

It feels so refreshing to read a Fiesta 1.6S review in 2020!! Congrats on buying the poor man's BMW (atleast in India). This car was not marketed well and Indians back then were behind the fuel economy bubble.

This car is a collector's car and hope you keep it as long as you can. My heart still skips a beat when I see an Aquarius Blue colour Fiesta 1.6S.

aravind.anand's 1.6 S review was the first review I read about this 1.6S gem that Ford created. I was so thrilled that I had almost decided on getting a 1.6 Titanium in 2013 and get the skirts, alloys and shock abs upgraded based on 1.6S VIN. (Wishful thinking!!)

Then reality struck, and I had to convert my Fiesta Classic 1.6 booking to an Ecosport 1.0 Titanium.

I still silently look out for pristine 1.6S on used-car sites.

Wish you many more miles with this red beauty

Cheers

Last edited by srinath34 : 6th April 2020 at 18:51. Reason: Re-phrasing
srinath34 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 19:51   #28
GTB
BHPian

That's a lovely post it surely depicts your love towards the car you picked. I was in your shoes a few months back. I wasn't fortunate enough to drive one of these but heard they are enthusiast pick.

Quote:
2. Smearing paint. I was baffling about getting the car painted, with two options struck in my mind - get in resprayed in Paprika Red or revamp it entirely to Aquarius Blue. I was in a happy quandary as both the shades go well with the car, although I was a wee bit biased towards the latter. As it turned out, I went for the Paprika Red. Getting the rusts corrected was the prime factor here, which was done thoroughly without leaving a trace.
I didn't understand why you did not go for Aquarius Blue when you had the chance to change the colour of your car?

Also, I would like to know, do performance air filters improve the exhaust sound?
GTB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 01:55   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
I own a 1.6 Classic Fiesta bought new in 2012. Driven for 55k kms till date. The experience of owning has been very good so far. The cost of spares is very much inexpensive. Here's a recent pic of mine.
Hey Arun!!!

Is this something coincidence? I'm Arun too! I live in Bangalore and I too own a an exact same car as you, Arun! Wow! I was awestruck after seeing your post.

~~~Here is my beauty~~~

An Unsung Paladin : Ford Fiesta 1.6 S-img_20191019_143537553.jpg

Okay, so coming to some important points here: Mine is a:
  • Ford Fiesta (Not Classic)
  • 1.6 Petrol
  • Year of purchase: 2010
  • Kilometers done at the time of writing: 70K

However, I'vent experienced any rusting issues with my car so far. Lately, I've been thinking of getting an automatic. My daily drive from Banashankari to EcoSpace in bumper to bumper traffic and to be very frank, it's a pain.

I agree to all the bits, the sporty driving characteristics and the feel some hydraulic steering etc etc. After driving few Automatics (TCs, AMTs, CVTs and DCTs) I seriously feel that I need to look for one very soon. Moreover, this being a hydraulic steering, it is arguably difficult to maneuver in crawling speeds in city limits.

Your thoughts, Arun?
drive1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 08:55   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
you're an enthusiast and very well know that a 1.5L OHC vTEC is more fun than a 1.8 L Honda Civic,
Can't quite agree to that. While the Civic does not offer a lot more power than the City, the driving experience is poles apart. That low driving position, an engine that loved to get whipped (Normal for a Honda) combined with a short throw, slick shifting gearbox, precise steering and excellent brakes made this one of those great driving machines.

In 2008, I was assisting a friend with relocation. One of the tasks was to drive his Honda Civic from Bombay to Delhi. Roads were not up to the mark back then. I remember it being an absolute nightmare getting out of Bombay as the express way was being built. A little after mid night, we hit a highway called GQ1 (Golden Quadrilateral I suppose) which was some where in Gujarat. I got to take over the wheel. At the time, this stretch of highway was the best I had experienced in India. I was driving at a speed which was just shy of top speed. Foolish to be driving so fast, that too at night but such was the confidence levels that I was not feeling one bit nervous. We did the drive in 24 hours, taking turns after toilet breaks and food stops. I was definitely tired at the end but felt like having another go the next day. Sadly; I had to take a flight back.

Getting back to your Ford. I've been in the front passenger seat of the S more than behind the wheel. Anyone who loves their cars is never really keen on having someone else drive their car. This was a GJ registered grey Fiesta S in Bangalore. Not a very appealing color for the S but that was my friends choice. True to what you say, everything about this car was precise. This car had a light steering but was direct and you knew what those front wheels were doing at all times. The only car that bettered this feel was my very own 2011 Fiat Linea T Jet. Was a heavier wheel though. A big difference on the Fiesta S was the Duratec engine. I was coming from the Rocam days of the Ikon which was responsive, gruff and not rev happy. The Duratec was the exact opposite. The lower end was not as good as the Ikon but there was more joy in revving it. At the time, the Fiesta was the best drive you could get. Was expensive for what it was and with the king (Honda City) that it needs to compete with, it was a hard sell. There were rumors of it running in a different state of tune to the regular 1.6l Fiesta. I could not tell the difference.

You have a very special car. Possibly the last of anything that feels analog and direct.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 7th April 2020 at 08:57.
sandeepmohan is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks