Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2019, 09:41   #1
Team-BHP Support

Driven: Range Rover Vogue LWB

The Range Rover Vogue LWB is on sale in India, starting at Rs. 1.81 crores (ex-showroom, Delhi)

What you'll like:

• Absolute luxury, and the practicality of an SUV with go-anywhere ability
• The massive statement made by driving / arriving in this. Road presence is unmatched
• Exceptional quality of materials + premium feel inside
• Loaded with tech and features, including lots of off-road wizardry
• Acres of interior space, much more than in most luxury sedans
• Brilliant mile muncher. Plush ride over rough roads too

What you won't:

• An overpriced CBU import (overpriced by at least 20%)
• Questionable reliability and after-sales service quality
• The V6 diesel in this was just about sufficient (in terms of power)
• Humongous size makes it cumbersome to drive in the city
• No 7-seater option available
• This 4th-gen car is already 7 years old

Driven: Range Rover Vogue LWB-dsc_2550-1.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 1st October 2019 at 09:43.
Akshay1234 is online now   (38) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 09:41   #2
Team-BHP Support

The Range Rover, since its inception in the 1970s, has been known for its capabilities. Its capability to go anywhere, its capability to excel off-road, its capability to keep its passengers comfortable, and lately, its capability to be one of the biggest, baddest SUVs out there. You will see everyone from our prime minister to industrialists to film stars, have made the Range Rover their vehicle of choice. And it is for a good reason.

The current L405 Range Rover Vogue was revealed in 2012, and it was a rather large upgrade from the previous generation, which was about 10 years old at the time. In 2018, it received some visual updates with newer and sharper lights and bumpers - things which are usually present in a facelift. What it also received is a large technology update which completely modernised the SUV.

The Range Rover Vogue is available in quite a few variants with many engine options. What we drove happens to be the long-wheelbase variant, but in a lower trim, the Vogue SE. This was equipped with the 3.0 V6 diesel with 255 BHP and 600 Nm. Other engine options include a 4.4L V8 diesel, a 3.0L V6 supercharged petrol, and even a 5.0L V8 supercharged petrol. The variants above this are named the Autobiography and the SVAutobiography, which carries a ridiculous price tag and an equally ridiculous list of features. The base variant (if you can really call it base) is the Vogue.

Driven: Range Rover Vogue LWB-dsc_2579.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 1st October 2019 at 09:43.
Akshay1234 is online now   (29) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 09:41   #3
Team-BHP Support

Exterior

The Vogue, even in its LWB guise, is very well proportioned as you can see. It still retains the design elements from the classic Range Rovers. The suspension is in off-road mode, hence it is raised:
Driven: Range Rover Vogue LWB-dsc_2491.jpg

The length is really visible here, and at 5.2 meters long, it truly is huge. This picture was taken while driving up to Lohagad Fort on a trail, and the Range Rover is truly at home in such surroundings:
Driven: Range Rover Vogue LWB-dsc_2520.jpg

The rear of the 2018 Vogue retains the same shape as before, with slight updates to things like the tail lights, which now get new LEDs. Also note the sloping rear overhang, which like all other RRs, is to help with the departure angle while off-roading:
Driven: Range Rover Vogue LWB-dsc_2536.jpg

Massive 21" wheels are standard on this and are far better than the smaller wheels which came on the pre-facelift base version. These really do complete the look. Surprisingly, the ride quality is excellent on road and off, even with the relatively lower profile tyres:
Driven: Range Rover Vogue LWB-dsc_2564.jpg

Updated headlights and minor changes to the bumper have really added to the look. The headlights are now what Land Rover calls Pixel LEDs, which basically contain a number of LEDs which can do all sorts of lighting trickery depending on the conditions the car is driven in. The updated headlight is definitely one of the best design elements of the 2018 Vogue:
Driven: Range Rover Vogue LWB-dsc_2557.jpg

Another look at the rear, after getting back from the trail. The dirt and grime on the body just add to the character:
Driven: Range Rover Vogue LWB-dsc_2588.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 1st October 2019 at 09:44.
Akshay1234 is online now   (31) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 09:42   #4
Team-BHP Support

Interior

The cockpit of the Vogue SE (or should I say bridge for this Land Yacht) is well laid out. Simple, and again similar to the earlier Range Rovers. Pretty much everything is made of quality materials and feels great to touch and use. The new screen, which replaces climate and other controls, really makes it feel futuristic. You can also see the rotary gear knob, which is flat in the picture but pops up when the car is on. Below that is the terrain response system and the parking brake. What I found strange was that there is no auto-hold system on this vehicle, a glaring omission (if its true):
Driven: Range Rover Vogue LWB-dsc00039-1.jpg

Super large and comfortable front seats which made even a tall person like me feel tiny. They are extremely supportive and I had no aches or pains whatsoever even after long drives. The seats are ventilated and cooled, but miss out on the massage function in this variant. I believe that the higher end models also get seats with more adjustments:
Driven: Range Rover Vogue LWB-dsc00033.jpg

The massive rear seats with acres of legroom. These seats do recline a bit and are super comfy. The Autobiography variants come with a 2-seater option too, which I'm sure will be next level:
Driven: Range Rover Vogue LWB-dsc00024.jpg

I haven't seen such huge legroom in any car, save for a Rolls. It truly is like a living room on wheels. The rear passengers get headrest-mounted screens for entertainment. The middle seat is surprisingly comfortable too:
Driven: Range Rover Vogue LWB-dsc00028.jpg

Ambient lighting is present in many of the crevices and lends a classy touch to the car. It does have some 10 different color options, and they all look good. Nothing super fancy like the new Mercedes' ambient lighting though:
Driven: Range Rover Vogue LWB-dsc00051.jpg

The new lower central screen through which climate control, seats, and driving modes can be controlled. It also gives you an option to control basic functions like the music and phone which are normally shown on the main screen above. Useful when the above screen is showing navigation and you want to access the audio, etc. without disturbing it:
Driven: Range Rover Vogue LWB-dsc00107.jpg

The main screen has an interface similar to what we are used to on Jaguar vehicles. It is capacitive and far better than what the earlier Range Rovers had. It is loaded with features too. In this mode, it shows the differential settings and the wheel travel at each corner:
Driven: Range Rover Vogue LWB-dsc00124.jpg

This new instrument cluster is great too, with various configuration options from a full map (a-la-audi) to a central dial with 2 screens around it, or the more classic 2 dial look, which is seen here. There are loads of configurations to play around with. Also, the vehicle settings related to lights, etc. are accessed from here:
Driven: Range Rover Vogue LWB-dsc00083.jpg

360 camera is very good and useful, but surprisingly hangs sometimes. Auto parking is also available:
Driven: Range Rover Vogue LWB-dsc00158.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 1st October 2019 at 09:45.
Akshay1234 is online now   (23) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 09:42   #5
Team-BHP Support

Driving the 3.0L Diesel AT

Driven: Range Rover Vogue LWB-dsc_2570-1.jpg

Climbing into the Vogue, you find that all the controls are at familiar places. It feels familiar to the previous generation, except for the more modern feel with the multiple screens all around. I hit the start button, and the V6 diesel started with a bit of a hum in the background. What suddenly dawned upon me in the driver's seat, was the absolute size of this LWB variant. It is a fair bit longer than the standard wheelbase, and the width (while it is the same) also is a lot. All 6'4" of me suddenly felt quite small, which to be honest, was a nice feeling considering how oversized I feel in smaller vehicles some times. I again had to remind myself to keep an eye on the corners, and also to start taking turns a tad bit later than I normally would, considering the length. This is normally something I have to pay attention to when driving a luxo-barge like an S-Class or a 7 Series.

Twisting the rotary gear selector to D, I started driving off. What I immediately noticed is that this 3.0L V6 diesel didn't really feel peppy. It seemed to need a fair bit of throttle input to get it going. After crossing about 20 km/h, the air suspension returned to normal height, and I found myself sitting above pretty much all the other vehicles on the road. The phrase coming to mind continuously to describe the Vogue LWB was 'Land Yacht'. It truly feels like one, you are completely insulated from the outside world, cocooned in leather and other quality materials, bobbing gently over the road. The Range was soaking up the terrible Bombay city roads as though they were actually smooth. Bumps and unevenness in the road were just dismissed. I could just feel one corner of the vehicle moving slightly, depending on which side went over a bump.

The 3.0L V6 diesel is the base engine available. Even though it has 255 BHP and 600 Nm, which is by no means little, it seemed to take a bit of effort to get the big Range going. Now, while that is good for passengers since it is smooth, for a driver, it can be a bit irritating. While on the move, once the RPMs build a little bit and the boost kicks in, you do feel the speed building with more urgency and even get pushed back a little bit with the torque. I did actually go flat out a couple of times and the Vogue does accelerate quickly enough to not feel slow. It does manage to take the vehicle to reasonably high speeds without a whimper, but you do get the feeling that this engine is best for cruising. At highway speeds, and even high speeds, the engine is very comfortable, but if one is driving enthusiastically, it can be a bit of a let down to build back the momentum if you have to slow down for any obstacle. That being said, I did drive it like I stole it once or twice too, and when I really pushed the Vogue, it didn't let me down. It really hustled, and I can imagine the surprise other people on the road got seeing something that big being easily driven in such a manner. To describe this engine, I would use the term sufficient, and not underpowered. Though I am sure that the more powerful engine options would be a far, far better drive.

Ride quality is excellent, even with the 21" wheels, which are standard. Inside the city, all kinds of bumps are absorbed without troubling the passengers at all. Even larger bumps are dismissed without any trouble, provided the speed is reduced a little bit. The suspension is silent, and only makes a thud if a bump is rather large and you end up hitting it at a higher speed than you should be. It definitely is a very mature and settled ride as expected from a machine of such size and price. What is truly exceptional is the way it masks speed when you are cruising on a highway. You can drive 3-4 hours in it and not even realize what distance you have driven or how long you have been in the vehicle. Fatigue is very minimal due to the comfort and refinement. To give you a perspective, the S-Class would have an edge over this at lower speeds and over smaller bumps. But when it comes to rough roads and larger bumps at higher speeds, the Vogue is better hands down at taking care of them while not letting the passengers know.

Handling is not something you would expect from something this large, but this doesn't disappoint your expectations. The body control is commendable and I felt connected enough with the car to push it sometimes and even do quick lane changes, which were handled with ease. Turns can be taken at fairly high speeds, provided they are eased into. The big Range holds its line without a fuss, but the body roll is evident. It is by no means sporty, but nor can it be called sloppy. I'm sure they used some of the trickery from the RR Sport SVR to help this big yacht of a Vogue handle the way it does. The brakes on this are good and bring the vehicle down from high speeds with ease. Even in the city, you can push it a bit more than you think because of the confidence the brakes give you. You get the feeling that the brakes will slow you down even if you manage to muck up or misjudge a maneuver considering the size.

Range Rovers and off-roading are synonymous. But which owner would really take an expensive car like this onto bad roads? Well, I tried. I took it to semi-bad roads and took it a fair bit up a trail leading to a fort called Lohagad, which is near Lonavala. I raised the suspension to off-road height, left the terrain response in auto and went for it. The road was made of broken patches of tarmac, with sharp hairpin turns and craters bigger than Mumbai's biggest potholes. The Vogue was unfazed and it took all of it as though it was nothing. While this was no true test of its off-roading abilities, it goes to show that the Range is capable since I am sure I would not be that confident while being that comfortable in probably any other vehicle. I did have to back off before I reached the top since the hairpins were getting too tight and the Vogue LWB's length started becoming a worry. The last thing I wanted was for it to get hairy ahead, and to not be able to turn around somewhere due to the size of the vehicle. So I took a turn where I could, put on hill descent control and went back down, again in absolute luxury.

All in all, the Range Rover Vogue LWB is definitely a special vehicle. It makes every drive seem like an occasion, and it gets you massive street cred!

Last edited by Aditya : 1st October 2019 at 09:46.
Akshay1234 is online now   (44) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 09:48   #6
Team-BHP Support

Re: Driven: Range Rover Vogue LWB

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2019, 08:06   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Great review, thanks for sharing . I enjoyed cruising in this land-yacht, its levels of opulence are extra-ordinary. For customers from the rarefied 2-crore rupee segment who see the S-Class as being "too common", this has become an object of desire. I see a ton of them around Bombay, including in the Bollywood circles.

Can't resist sharing a picture from the driver's seat
Driven: Range Rover Vogue LWB-201907-range-rover-lwb-2.jpg
GTO is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2019, 08:56   #8
BHPian

Great report. The Range Rover is truly a land yacht and can only be truly felt in person. Earlier, I used to think it's not worth the money but after just 10 seconds of sitting in a friend's LWB, I understood the feeling. You just can't compare it to anything! You're well and truly the king of the road!

Thanks to my friend for this opportunity though. He's a BHPian so he would definitely be reading this

Cheers!
porsche_guy is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2019, 10:00   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
• This 4th-gen car is already 7 years old
Wow, 7 years have flown so fast since I tested this in Morocco

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ighlight=Range (Range Rover (4th Generation) : Driven)

I had the V8 diesel and the supercharged V8 Petrol so we were never short on power. You really need to take it off-road, I mean totally off-road to see what this does!

Last edited by ajmat : 2nd October 2019 at 12:10.
ajmat is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2019, 18:31   #10
BHPian

Awesome report buddy! Yes, the car is Land Yacht for sure. There’s something about Range Rovers that sets it apart from the Germans. There’s nothing like it on the road. I’m happy to report that I own one and it’s truly a delight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche_guy View Post
Earlier, I used to think it's not worth the money but after just 10 seconds of sitting in a friend's LWB, I understood the feeling.

Thanks to my friend for this opportunity though. He's a BHPian so he would definitely be reading this
Haha, anytime buddy. I still have to take you for a ride
P.S: Mine completes one year next week. Time truly flies
Attached Thumbnails
Driven: Range Rover Vogue LWB-c55f2325c4b34e839097df1a5d9bc0a0.jpeg  

Raahil_23 is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 5th October 2019, 13:58   #11
BHPian

As a middle class man, the review came as quite an inspiration to work hard. Thank you Akshay. BTW, is that aluminium on the doors extending up to the rear wheel arch forming a L or a J? Because, Jeremy Clarkson would make it that its J & L which could abbreviate as Jaguar & Land Rover group, & boast it as attention to detail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Can't resist sharing a picture from the driver's seat
Attachment 1919629
GTO, with due respect to you & our community outfits, this time your watch saved you. Time to roll out some high-end Team-BHP formal shirts? You know what I mean right. Okay, pray I don't get an infraction.
Carrera555 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2019, 19:39   #12
BHPian

This post reminded me of how Jeremy Clarkson bragged about his experience in the Range Rover. Range Rovers really are the pinnacles of luxury.
Old 17th March 2020, 20:08   #13
Senior - BHPian

Custom made Range Rover SV Autobiography for Boxing Champ Anthony Joshua.
Driven: Range Rover Vogue LWB-fb_img_15844556303600969.jpg

Driven: Range Rover Vogue LWB-fb_img_15844556364383027.jpg

Driven: Range Rover Vogue LWB-fb_img_15844556411471311.jpg

Driven: Range Rover Vogue LWB-fb_img_15844556449443134.jpg

Driven: Range Rover Vogue LWB-fb_img_15844556544394453.jpg

Driven: Range Rover Vogue LWB-fb_img_15844556503243656.jpg
Venkatesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th April 2020, 15:36   #14
Senior - BHPian

Klassen Range Rover Autobiography Limousine

Klassen, which literally means class, stretched a Range Rover to give extra interior space. The total added length to this Klassen Range Rover is 1,016 millimeters (40 inches) – the overall length becomes 6,215mm (245 in) while wheelbase length has been elongated to 4,136mm (163 in). With this, the Range Rover limo gains cabin space for four seats, which can be configured in pairs facing each other. customers can opt for just two seats for an almost infinite legroom – digital screen included.

Klassen Range Rover limo isn't limited to its stretched body. The entire vehicle has level VR8 armor, able to withstand up to 7.62mm caliber bullets from a distance of 10 meters.

The vehicle is also fitted with a set of Klasse-developed bulletproof tires that guarantees mobility of up to 80 kilometers per hour (50 miles per hour), running to a distance of up to 50 miles.

A full optioned sample can reach prices of up to 750,000 euros or $811,000.

Driven: Range Rover Vogue LWB-smartselect_20200428152243_chrome.jpg

Driven: Range Rover Vogue LWB-smartselect_20200428152259_chrome.jpg

Driven: Range Rover Vogue LWB-smartselect_20200428152320_chrome.jpg

Driven: Range Rover Vogue LWB-smartselect_20200428152343_chrome.jpg

Driven: Range Rover Vogue LWB-smartselect_20200428151933_chrome.jpg

Driven: Range Rover Vogue LWB-smartselect_20200428152412_chrome.jpg

Driven: Range Rover Vogue LWB-smartselect_20200428152435_chrome.jpg

Driven: Range Rover Vogue LWB-smartselect_20200428151955_chrome.jpg

Driven: Range Rover Vogue LWB-smartselect_20200428152016_chrome.jpg

Driven: Range Rover Vogue LWB-smartselect_20200428152032_chrome.jpg

Driven: Range Rover Vogue LWB-smartselect_20200428152047_chrome.jpg

Driven: Range Rover Vogue LWB-smartselect_20200428152103_chrome.jpg

Driven: Range Rover Vogue LWB-smartselect_20200428152125_chrome.jpg

Driven: Range Rover Vogue LWB-smartselect_20200428152147_chrome.jpg

Driven: Range Rover Vogue LWB-smartselect_20200428152154_chrome.jpg

https://www.klassen.de/range-rover-stretched-1016mm

https://www.motor1.com/news/414827/k...o-bulletproof/
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 09:31   #15
Senior - BHPian

Range Rover Fifty Limited Edition Celebrates Golden Anniversary. Fifty script badging designed by Land Rover Chief Creative Officer Gerry McGovern himself. The limited edition goes on sale later this year, with only 1970 examples being produced.

Driven: Range Rover Vogue LWB-smartselect_20200617092101_chrome.jpg

Driven: Range Rover Vogue LWB-smartselect_20200617092112_chrome.jpg

Driven: Range Rover Vogue LWB-smartselect_20200617092126_chrome.jpg

Driven: Range Rover Vogue LWB-smartselect_20200617092140_chrome.jpg

Driven: Range Rover Vogue LWB-smartselect_20200617092157_chrome.jpg

Driven: Range Rover Vogue LWB-smartselect_20200617092214_chrome.jpg

Driven: Range Rover Vogue LWB-smartselect_20200617092226_chrome.jpg

Driven: Range Rover Vogue LWB-smartselect_20200617092302_chrome.jpg

Driven: Range Rover Vogue LWB-smartselect_20200617092326_chrome.jpg

Driven: Range Rover Vogue LWB-smartselect_20200617092342_chrome.jpg

Driven: Range Rover Vogue LWB-smartselect_20200617092420_chrome.jpg

Driven: Range Rover Vogue LWB-smartselect_20200617092441_chrome.jpg