Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2019, 04:52   #16
BHPian

re: My road companion in the USA - "White Katana" Mazda - CX-9 SUV -19000 miles on!

Congratulations on the acquisition ! Wishing you many miles !!

Yeah, i was wondering the same around Honda Pilot or the Highlander. Additionally, did you consider the Kia Telluride or the Hyundai Palisade ?
anand_lukose is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2019, 07:33   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

re: My road companion in the USA - "White Katana" Mazda - CX-9 SUV -19000 miles on!

Clocked 18,000 miles in the first year despite my daily office run being less than 10 miles/day

18,000 miles = 29,000kms (This is the maximum that I drove a vehicle in a calendar year)

My road companion in the USA - "White Katana" Mazda CX-9 SUV. EDIT : 30,000 miles up!-18000-miles.jpg

And, completed 19,000 miles a couple of weeks ago

My road companion in the USA - "White Katana" Mazda CX-9 SUV. EDIT : 30,000 miles up!-19000-miles.jpg
mobike008 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th October 2019, 10:49   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

re: My road companion in the USA - "White Katana" Mazda CX-9 SUV. EDIT : 19,000 miles up!

Congratulations. Thank you for the review and all the photographs. I notice the American market likes dark toned interiors. Interiors are of a really good quality - attractive and yet not overdone (like Mercedes sometimes). I note the rear seat leg room is quite thrifty. All the very best with this handsome car. Safe miles.
V.Narayan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2019, 19:40   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

re: My road companion in the USA - "White Katana" Mazda CX-9 SUV. EDIT : 20,000 miles up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehighwayman View Post
Congratulations on your purchase. IMO Mazda makes some of the best looking cars that are equally enthralling to drive. The Mazda 3 sedan was on my shortlist before I decided to purchase a Honda mainly for its resale value .The only area Mazda needs improvement is proper use of the interior space.
Thanks! You are spot on. The biggest downside of Mazda's is their interior space. It is quite compact and that is what I highlighted in my dislike as well. CX-9 as you know is a very large sized vehicle but, interior space is a bit of a disappointment compared to it's massive exterior.

But, then we will never use the 7-seats so I'm not complaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexusES350 View Post
Congratulations, Its interesting that you never entertained Honda Pilot Touring AWD or Toyota Highlander Limited as one of the contenders as they firmly competes in the same segment. It would have been nice to know if you had taken a test drive and chose CX9 over these two.
We have 2 Honda's in the family. A Pilot and an Oddessy (Sister drives) and i have been driving these for many years albeit older models and I would be surprised if an enthusiast will even shortlist them when choosing an SUV that drives well ( Please note my emphasize) as I was never in the market for a people carrier

Actually, I would consider the Subaru's over the Pilot and Highlander but, the Ascent looked quite odd and will not win any brownie points in the looks department

Frankly speaking here in the US, choice of vehicles in each segment is mind boggling that it practically spins your head.....It is important to shortlist 5-6 cars and get the one that you like most

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand_lukose View Post
Congratulations on the acquisition ! Wishing you many miles !!

Yeah, i was wondering the same around Honda Pilot or the Highlander. Additionally, did you consider the Kia Telluride or the Hyundai Palisade ?
Thanks Anand. Honestly speaking, I never even heard of Telluride and have not seen even a single one on the road (I have a keen eye and keep a lookout for cars on the road). I see plenty of Sorento's but, never a Telluride at least here in the Mid-west

Well, I owned 3 Hyundai's in India- Isn't that enough...LOL! I know they make some nice cars in the higher segment like the Genesis but, I would never ever consider them purely for reasons of better choices available

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Congratulations. Thank you for the review and all the photographs. I notice the American market likes dark toned interiors. Interiors are of a really good quality - attractive and yet not overdone (like Mercedes sometimes). I note the rear seat leg room is quite thrifty. All the very best with this handsome car. Safe miles.
Thanks Narayan. Yeah, Black interiors are famous all over the world ( I reckon we too love it in India).

Mazda interiors look really premium and it stands out even better in Sand leather but, it was not an option for me with a White exterior

1st Row and 2nd Row seat space is quite adequate even for a 6.1 footer like me but, the problem is with 3rd row space which is never used

In the US, sand interiors are now passe' . "White Interiors" are in for most of the 40 grand and above vehicles and found mostly in american cars like Cadillac, Lincoln, Chrylser etc and they look fabulous but, might be a pain to maintain
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2019, 20:29   #20
BANNED

re: My road companion in the USA - "White Katana" Mazda CX-9 SUV. EDIT : 20,000 miles up!

Congratulations Avi!

Finally you acquire the car that you were eyeing on from the different choices that you had which we discussed briefly when we met before you left for the States.

As usual great writing skills and images to boot. Wishing many many happy (s)miles with this Mazda.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2019, 00:15   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Congratulations Avi!

Finally you acquire the car that you were eyeing on from the different choices that you had which we discussed briefly when we met before you left for the States.
Thanks Anurag. Yeah, we had a great time over lunch when we spoke of possible choices. Well, as i was mentioning in my previous post- choices here in the US is too many and will confuse the hell out of a sane mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
As usual great writing skills and images to boot. Wishing many many happy (s)miles with this Mazda.
Thanks. Unfortunately, dont have time for elaborate photography as I used to do for my previous review. All these pictures are from iPhone. Nice to know they look good

Happy Dussehra

My road companion in the USA - "White Katana" Mazda CX-9 SUV. EDIT : 30,000 miles up!-img_9886.jpg
mobike008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2019, 01:52   #22
Senior - BHPian

Hey Avi! We last had a chat when I was looking for your review on the Versys. Time has flown by!

Great review and even I am looking to buy the CX-9 - used though and later than 2018. You really hit it on the head - for a big SUV, this handles so amazingly well. I have done a few test rides and loved it. And the interiors are so well done for the price.

Bad you missed the Apple Carplay - try and talk to your dealer - he should be able to sweeten the deal a bit at least. I plan to get the dealer to fit it in if it isn't already there.

Did you get a motorcycle here? Or plan to? Can't for the next few months. Here in GA, I can ride a bit more since it hardly snows.
naveenroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2019, 10:27   #23
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations Avi! Wish you a lot more miles of happy ownership!

I do agree with you that the car looks gorgeous! Frankly, I never thought much about Mazda cars till my recent Thailand visit. Mazda makes some beautiful cars and most reviews suggest that they are more fun to drive than the other Japanese competition.

Should have been a good addition to the Indian market, if they were interested!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 05:48   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

Thanks Anand. Honestly speaking, I never even heard of Telluride and have not seen even a single one on the road (I have a keen eye and keep a lookout for cars on the road). I see plenty of Sorento's but, never a Telluride at least here in the Mid-west

Well, I owned 3 Hyundai's in India- Isn't that enough...LOL! I know they make some nice cars in the higher segment like the Genesis but, I would never ever consider them purely for reasons of better choices available
I now realize that you acquired the Mazda not this year. The Kia Telluride and the Hyundai Palisade are pretty much the same platform but both were released this year. And you are correct, I hardly see them on the road here in Nashville. I have seen the Telluride few times but never the Palisade. Dont know if they are selling well compared to other established competitors.
anand_lukose is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 06:23   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Hey Avi! We last had a chat when I was looking for your review on the Versys. Time has flown by!

Great review and even I am looking to buy the CX-9 - used though and later than 2018. You really hit it on the head - for a big SUV, this handles so amazingly well. I have done a few test rides and loved it. And the interiors are so well done for the price.

Bad you missed the Apple Carplay - try and talk to your dealer - he should be able to sweeten the deal a bit at least. I plan to get the dealer to fit it in if it isn't already there.

Did you get a motorcycle here? Or plan to? Can't for the next few months. Here in GA, I can ride a bit more since it hardly snows.
Indeed Naveen. Time does not wait for anyone and especially here it just flies even more. It's a good choice to go with CX-9 but, if you dont need the space check out the 2019 CX-5 with same 2.5 Liter engine. It's a hoot to drive and from what I made out from a very brief drive it's even more fun to drive than the CX-9

Regarding Apple Car Play/Android Auto-As they say, sometimes you end up buying stuff at the wrong time. As soon it was released, I received a communication from Mazda that it's now available as a "add-on". I coaxed Z a lot to give that as a freebie but, well she got her incentive so no more incentive to give anything free to me

It's a $430 addition. But, I dont really crave for it as I'm enjoying my Apple Watch + Apple Maps combo after OS 13

I do miss motorcycling a lot but, I realized riding here wont be the same fun as back in India where you get to tame some treacherous terrain. No plans of a bike anytime soon. Focus is on clocking miles on 4-wheels

Please reach out to me if you have any specific questions about the CX-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Should have been a good addition to the Indian market, if they were interested!
Thanks Sujai. Even I wondered why they haven't entered Indian market. But, then I realize they dont seem to be in volume game and have a niche market of enthusiastic buyers and an interesting observation I made is everyone who buys a Mazda is a repeat customer for Mazda's

I can cite two examples here in Detroit. 3 to CX-5 and 6 to CX-5

Infact, I sold one Mazda to a colleague who came from India and he got a CX-5 (Soul Red) in California

And, there are quite a few Mazda's on the road. Most popular being the 3 and CX-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand_lukose View Post
I now realize that you acquired the Mazda not this year. The Kia Telluride and the Hyundai Palisade are pretty much the same platform but both were released this year. And you are correct, I hardly see them on the road here in Nashville. I have seen the Telluride few times but never the Palisade. Dont know if they are selling well compared to other established competitors.
Yup Anand, I got it last year. Kia is really upping their game and some of their high end cars are gorgeous. But, I'm not sure if I can say the same about Hyundai

I live in the land of cars and here I'm surrounded by Challengers, Chargers, Mustangs and the big 3 trucks all the time

Btw, I heard Nashville is a happening place and I was planning to drive down last month and changed plans last minute to go to UP to Picture Rocks

As per our annual tradition, this year also performed pooja for White Katana to bless us with more miles to come
Attached Thumbnails
My road companion in the USA - "White Katana" Mazda CX-9 SUV. EDIT : 30,000 miles up!-img_9903.jpg  

My road companion in the USA - "White Katana" Mazda CX-9 SUV. EDIT : 30,000 miles up!-img_9885.jpg  

My road companion in the USA - "White Katana" Mazda CX-9 SUV. EDIT : 30,000 miles up!-img_9887-1.jpg  

My road companion in the USA - "White Katana" Mazda CX-9 SUV. EDIT : 30,000 miles up!-img_9889.jpg  

My road companion in the USA - "White Katana" Mazda CX-9 SUV. EDIT : 30,000 miles up!-img_9907.jpg  

mobike008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 09:37   #26
SDO

Great looking SUV ! One of the pleasures of living in the US is the opportunity to fill your eyes and heart with great looking automobiles and experience the thrill of long highway drives. Wishing you mega miles...

How is the transmission on the CX-9 ? I had previously heard of slippages and hard shifts mostly due to software issues causing transmission damages in the long run. Is this resolved for good?
SDO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 22:09   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDO View Post
How is the transmission on the CX-9 ? I had previously heard of slippages and hard shifts mostly due to software issues causing transmission damages in the long run. Is this resolved for good?
There are many fancy transmissions in $40K and above price bracket with 7,8 9 and even 10-speed

However, Mazda has only a 6-speed transmission and is mated very well to the engine. There is absolutely no hesitation or lag when you press the accelerator and it changes gears smoothly & seamlessly and you never feel being in the wrong gear during the needed times of overtaking, merging on freeways etc. Even though a 6-speed gearbox, it's simply wonderful and zero complaints from it till now

And, when you slot the transmission into "Sport" mode gears are held at higher revs and and acceleration is much faster and it's fun to drive it in this mode but, then i notice the FE drops to 19MPG against the 22MPG in city conditions

Also, from time to time I enjoy being in manual mode just to get the feel of gear changes and drive in this mode mostly in city

I never heard of any gear slippages or transmission damages in earlier version.

But, then if you know my car buying history, I'm not worried about it as I'm not a long time user and like to change cars every 3-4 years and I always prefer buying brand new ( I know it's stupidity especially here in the US but, then hope to change this brand new vehicle craze in my next purchase)
Old 14th October 2019, 18:17   #28
BHPian

Quote:
There are many fancy transmissions in $40K and above price bracket with 7,8 9 and even 10-speed

However, Mazda has only a 6-speed transmission and is mated very well to the engine. There is absolutely no hesitation or lag when you press the accelerator and it changes gears smoothly & seamlessly and you never feel being in the wrong gear during the needed times of overtaking, merging on freeways etc. Even though a 6-speed gearbox, it's simply wonderful and zero complaints from it till now

And, when you slot the transmission into "Sport" mode gears are held at higher revs and and acceleration is much faster and it's fun to drive it in this mode but, then i notice the FE drops to 19MPG against the 22MPG in city conditions

Also, from time to time I enjoy being in manual mode just to get the feel of gear changes and drive in this mode mostly in city

I never heard of any gear slippages or transmission damages in earlier version.

But, then if you know my car buying history, I'm not worried about it as I'm not a long time user and like to change cars every 3-4 years and I always prefer buying brand new ( I know it's stupidity especially here in the US but, then hope to change this brand new vehicle craze in my next purchase)
First of all many congratulations on you new CX9. Your post just rekindled some fond memories of the same machine I owned and drove while I was in Charlotte, back in 2012.

I was searching for a used SUV, and test drove Acura MDX, BMW X1 or 3 I dont exactly remember, and CX9 in the end. While Acura drove really well, it looked plain Jane from inside, and a bit ugly to my taste on exterior. The bimmer was quite engaging to drive as expected, but was ridiculously cramped at the rear to accommodate an extra child seat, and also with not so great interior. Came along the big, bold, and inside out beautiful CX9 Grand Touring. Grand as the name spells. Much lavish interiors for a 2008 model, and also with Bose sound system from factory. Yeah, it drove less spiritedly compared to other two machines, but as your post rightly said, it outclassed rest of the machines on every other aspect. Back then also, the big one drove so much like a sedan. I would have done so many long trips with 5 adults loaded, and it never failed me. A totally fuss free ownership experience till i sold it off. Needless to say that i just loved this machine so much. Just one bit of caution; CX9 has a bad history of generating cranking noise from discs as they grow older. But I guess most machines would do so.

Some old pics from the memory lane. BTW, one of your pics found its way to my mobile home too, just to cherish memories of the Grand one for some more time
Attached Thumbnails
My road companion in the USA - "White Katana" Mazda CX-9 SUV. EDIT : 30,000 miles up!-fb_img_1571055362824.jpg  

My road companion in the USA - "White Katana" Mazda CX-9 SUV. EDIT : 30,000 miles up!-fb_img_1571055357789.jpg  

My road companion in the USA - "White Katana" Mazda CX-9 SUV. EDIT : 30,000 miles up!-fb_img_1571055371870.jpg  

My road companion in the USA - "White Katana" Mazda CX-9 SUV. EDIT : 30,000 miles up!-fb_img_1571055352765.jpg  

My road companion in the USA - "White Katana" Mazda CX-9 SUV. EDIT : 30,000 miles up!-fb_img_1571055342343.jpg  

My road companion in the USA - "White Katana" Mazda CX-9 SUV. EDIT : 30,000 miles up!-screenshot_20191014174627.jpg  

JBIBS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 20:06   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks JBIBS, Wonderful to know another CX-9 owner on the forum

And, here I was thinking Mazda's are a rarity as most Indians prefer buying the Accords/Camry's or Bimmer's in the higher segment

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBIBS View Post
I was searching for a used SUV, and test drove Acura MDX, BMW X1 or 3 I dont exactly remember, and CX9 in the end. While Acura drove really well, it looked plain Jane from inside, and a bit ugly to my taste on exterior. The bimmer was quite engaging to drive as expected, but was ridiculously cramped at the rear to accommodate an extra child seat, and also with not so great interior. Came along the big, bold, and inside out beautiful CX9 Grand Touring. Grand as the name spells. Much lavish interiors for a 2008 model, and also with Bose sound system from factory. Yeah, it drove less spiritedly compared to other two machines, but as your post rightly said, it outclassed rest of the machines on every other aspect. Back then also, the big one drove so much like a sedan.
You have nailed it in your observations. I believe every car here in the US comes with really high quality (compared to what us less fortunate Indians get back home)

But, I have always looked at vehicles for pleasure to own and drive/ride and not just to carry me from one point to another and try to do it in a reasonable budget as cannot afford the super high end cars. And, Mazda is a great example of enjoying the highest luxury at affordable prices without sacrificing the driving pleasure that a car is supposed to give to it's owner

Quote:
I would have done so many long trips with 5 adults loaded, and it never failed me. A totally fuss free ownership experience till i sold it off. Needless to say that i just loved this machine so much. Just one bit of caution; CX9 has a bad history of generating cranking noise from discs as they grow older. But I guess most machines would do so.
I can see the passion in your note how much you loved it. I'm glad to know 2008 version had the same foundation and roots of good driving dynamics and honestly speaking 2008 interiors look better than current interiors...LOL

Thanks for pointing out the glitch but, as mentioned in my previous post. I dont think I will keep this car for more than 3-years

Quote:
Some old pics from the memory lane. BTW, one of your pics found its way to my mobile home too, just to cherish memories of the Grand one for some more time
Thanks. Looks nice as a wall paper. I have not done it with any of these pics on my phone. Good idea !! (My current wallpaper is of Joker on the bonnet of the car as that signified a powerful image in that movie)

I spotted the older version of CX-9 a few times and once happened to park right in front of it when we were visiting the Naval Military Museum in Buffalo,New York

Was this same model as yours? I can see one in picture seems to be a base model though

Older Version CX-9 vs. Newer Version CX-9

My road companion in the USA - "White Katana" Mazda CX-9 SUV. EDIT : 30,000 miles up!-img_2428.jpg

My road companion in the USA - "White Katana" Mazda CX-9 SUV. EDIT : 30,000 miles up!-img_2429.jpg
Old 28th October 2019, 20:18   #30
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for pointing out the glitch but, as mentioned in my previous post. I dont think I will keep this car for more than 3-years
Thanks for the detailed write-up mobike008. I've always liked the CX9 for it's handling, suspension, steering and braking. I feel that it is built more from a driver's point-of-view.

I just wish Mazda could address some of the things like cargo capacity, climate control, towing capacity and the general visibility.

I am in line to upgrade my Outback around June next year and will test drive it again. It will be a choice between the Ascent and the CX9 for me.
kashif_baig is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks