Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2019, 19:49   #46
BHPian

re: My road companion in the USA - "White Katana" Mazda CX-9 SUV. EDIT : 30,000 miles up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Wow! I would love to see the Katana slicing through the snow!

Thank you sir, for your suggestion to go for the Mazda 3 or CX-5. I would be Manhattan by next year for the fall session. Please keep updating this thread, been enjoying every word of it!

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 27th December 2019 at 21:00. Reason: Fixed quoted post.
BZ25 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2019, 20:44   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

re: My road companion in the USA - "White Katana" Mazda CX-9 SUV. EDIT : 30,000 miles up!

Couple of weeks ago, a friend visited with family from Chicago and we were driving around as I was showing him around town

One of the day when we were returning from Detroit downtown where we had gone to watch the Christmas lights and returning home ( ~25 miles away) and were on the freeway ( 5-lanes) and I was in the middle (3rd lane) and it was late in the evening and I was at around 80mph and suddenly saw something in the middle of my lane and I thought it was an aluminium sheet/paper on the road

As reaction time was less and I couldn't change lane due to traffic, I drove over and and there was a loud THUD and fellow BHPian who was sitting next to me said, that was a "Step Ladder"

Well, I absolutely cannot stop the car being on freeway so kept driving and checking for signs of any issues with car. I found none and car drove as if nothing happened

However, when we reached home I was shocked to see the condition of the car. The step ladder went under the car below the driving seat and may have got deflected and came out from the right side of the car and while exiting the bottom it took away the side cladding with it

Thankfully, there is no damage to the car as only the side cladding came off and the under-body cloth shield protector got ripped and all of which needs to be replaced

I got a few quotes from some collision folks and and finally settled with dealership of Mazda where I got the best quote of just under a grand for the parts replacement and labor and since my insurance is $1000 deductible it goes from my pocket...Sigh !!

I got the parts ordered and it will get fixed on Jan 6th when I'm back in town from my holidays which is a long road trip (sad to drive the car in this cosmetic condition but, just couldn't help it)

Well, this was a freak accident and never could imagine a thing like step ladder being in a middle of busy and broad freeway. I guess being more alert is the way to move forward
Attached Thumbnails
My road companion in the USA - "White Katana" Mazda CX-9 SUV. EDIT : 30,000 miles up!-img_5235.jpg  

My road companion in the USA - "White Katana" Mazda CX-9 SUV. EDIT : 30,000 miles up!-img_5234.jpg  

My road companion in the USA - "White Katana" Mazda CX-9 SUV. EDIT : 30,000 miles up!-img_5237.jpg  

mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2019, 10:38   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

As reaction time was less and I couldn't change lane due to traffic, I drove over and and there was a loud THUD and fellow BHPian who was sitting next to me said, that was a "Step Ladder"

However, when we reached home I was shocked to see the condition of the car. The step ladder went under the car below the driving seat and may have got deflected and came out from the right side of the car and while exiting the bottom it took away the side cladding with it

Thankfully, there is no damage to the car as only the side cladding came off and the under-body cloth shield protector got ripped and all of which needs to be replaced
Did you check the sump area in the front? The height of the ladder might have hit the sump area and deflected to the right side. If you drove over it with the wheels then get the tyres checked for cuts as well.
Old 27th December 2019, 20:10   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Did you check the sump area in the front? The height of the ladder might have hit the sump area and deflected to the right side. If you drove over it with the wheels then get the tyres checked for cuts as well.
Hey Viddy! Howdy Man?

Car was put up in the air (US expression)and checked for any issues but, apart from the cloth protection tear there seems to be no other damage

I also visually checked the tyres and there seems to be no cuts

As I type this post, I'm on a 2200 miles road-trip and completed 1000 miles already (Boston and Rhode Island) and car drives same as before. Touch-wood, No issues at all
Old 27th December 2019, 22:59   #50
BHPian

Hey Avinash, glad to hear that you & your family were safe and there wasnt any major damage. Many a time i have seen objects (even sofas) lying on the highways in and around Detroit. Its better to run over minor objectives on road rather than reacting in a split second which might create bigger issues.

I had a similar experience in 2014, when i had my A4. A chuck of ice fell from a truck which was ahead of me in a single lane road (Long lake and Middlebelt). I was not able to avoid the object and it eventually damaged my oil sump.
vj123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2020, 00:20   #51

Hi Avinash, I'm new (member) in this forum. I've been following your ownership thread for quite sometime. Your extensive review helped me with the purchase of a Pre-Worshipped Mazda CX9 2016 model. Couldn't be more happier with the choice.
Sometimes its hard to believe that this car is actually longer than most of the competition and yet handles (almost) like a sedan!
If you are really interested, the Apple Car Play (Android Auto) is now available as a Genuine Mazda hardware kit (~$200) , which can be an easy-moderate DIY Project.
KartikRajasekar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 10:09   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KartikRajasekar View Post
Hi Avinash, I'm new (member) in this forum. I've been following your ownership thread for quite sometime. Your extensive review helped me with the purchase of a Pre-Worshipped Mazda CX9 2016 model. Couldn't be more happier with the choice.
Sometimes its hard to believe that this car is actually longer than most of the competition and yet handles (almost) like a sedan!
If you are really interested, the Apple Car Play (Android Auto) is now available as a Genuine Mazda hardware kit (~$200) , which can be an easy-moderate DIY Project.
Sorry for the late reply. Congratulations on your Mazda. Nice to know that you are enjoying the car. Yeah, it does drive pretty tight for a large SUV and best part is it does not feel like driving one. It still gives the feeling of driving a sedan which is rare driving impression in most mid and large sized SUV. Do share some pics as I would love to see the 2016 model. Which part of Boston area are you at?

Well, I have been enjoying the car mostly for long drives as due to Pandemic and opportunities to drive the car is rare except the bread and eggs run to the grocery store

Couple of weeks ago completed 30,000 Miles a little after 2 years of ownership

Will try to keep the thread updated here on. Cheers !!
Attached Thumbnails
My road companion in the USA - "White Katana" Mazda CX-9 SUV. EDIT : 30,000 miles up!-img_4224_original.jpg  

My road companion in the USA - "White Katana" Mazda CX-9 SUV. EDIT : 30,000 miles up!-snapseed.jpg  

mobike008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 00:31   #53

Re: My road companion in the USA - "White Katana" Mazda CX-9 SUV. EDIT : 30,000 miles up!

Hi, Sorry I couldn't respond sooner. I live in Watertown, MA. Here's my 2016 CX9 Touring.
Attached Thumbnails
My road companion in the USA - "White Katana" Mazda CX-9 SUV. EDIT : 30,000 miles up!-img_9849-copy.jpg  

KartikRajasekar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 19:41   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My road companion in the USA - "White Katana" Mazda CX-9 SUV. EDIT : 30,000 miles up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KartikRajasekar View Post
Hi, Sorry I couldn't respond sooner. I live in Watertown, MA. Here's my 2016 CX9 Touring.
Nice to hear back from you. CX-9 in Soul Red looks fantastic. The only color that I like in Mazda is the Soul Red ( I had a dark blue Mazda 6 few years ago when I was living in Seattle)

Due to some incidents with red color, I didn't get a go ahead for this color from home minister, so had to settle for next best- White

Glad you are enjoying the Mazda. Btw, I visit Boston almost once in a quarter as my sis lives in Winchester and you aren't too far from there I reckon

Let's catch up next time around !

Meanwhile, I am tripping on my new car

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post4990969

Last edited by mobike008 : 30th March 2021 at 19:52.

Most Viewed