Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2019, 19:31   #16

re: My 2019 VW Polo GT TSI Facelift aka 'sNooPy' | EDIT: 19,000 km completed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagarpradhan85 View Post
Thank you for this information. I have a Vento Tsi and have been considering upgrading the fog lamps.
Are the Fog lamps a direct fit? And do they not require any additional wiring?

I am concerned that these should not impact vw warranty.

Any thoughts?
Thank you Sagar. The LED's in the fog lamps were plugged in directly without removing the bumper or the holders nor where there any extra wires to be played around with. In regards to the warranty, my car has gone through the first routine checkup of 1,000 kms in Bangalore and no warranty has been impacted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciddharth View Post
Congratulations on your new purchase, n4rayan.jagdish! It is a beauty! It was a well-crafted review with so many pictures to see! The car buying process reminded me of our Skoda Rapid 1.6 TDi years ago! But the Volkswagen has decidedly more premium and plusher interiors and lot more features now than the bare-bones Skoda Rapid of 2012. Those seat covers look impressive! Wish you a lot of happy miles!
Thank you ciddharth! Despite the age-less look, VW did manage to make some adjustments to make the car look refreshed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Great way to start your innings in TBHP. Welcome to the forum, Jagdish.

Volkswagen is know for its build quality of its cars ( masking the reliability part of it)

Wishing you a great ownership and keep this thread alive as you cross milestones!
Thank you Volkman! Will try to keep this thread active and answer all possible questions. It might be a while before I post something major in regards to any further addons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshumandun View Post
Congrats on the purchase buddy. This is the best driver's car in its segment undoubtedly.

I really like the mild facelift done on the GT TSI. VW has succeeded yet again in making a decade year old car look fresh again. The GTI bits look classy on the car.

I recently completed 50k on my 2016 TSI and I am very happy with the car. Plan to keep it for as long as possible.

At 50k, they have again started to shudder at high speed braking although I changed the pads and rotors at around 30k due to shuddering. Is this fixed with the facelift model? Do let us know as you put in more miles on your car.
Thank you anshuman! The main reason I opted for the face-lift, was due to the freshness + small additions of the GTI. Congrats on the 50k run. Since the car is primarily new, I have not experienced the shuddering, then again I doubt VW might have made any changes to the rotors or improved the break-pads. I have also not had a chance to open him up yet freely, but I'll keep you posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Great thread, thanks! Appreciate your enthusiasm and writing skills.

Quick comment on your headlights though: From the pictures, I feel the cut-off lines are vague and are leading to significant glare for oncoming folks. Can you post comparative shots taken in pitch dark conditions and check for unnecessary glare? It will help you also as people are not likely to dip their beams in response to your lights.
Thank you itwasntme! Despite multiple readings, i ended up making a lot of grammatical mistakes. The pictures taken were me standing near the drivers door. I'll make another post once I get a chance during the weekends. Although Projectors are better than Reflectors for light dispersion, there can be no comparison made and there would always be some glare to the on-coming folks. I usually set the low beam to setting 2 (mid range) or 3 (lowest) depending on the type of road I'm driving on to minimize glare.

Give the cylindrical shape of the reflectors, the high-beam on close to the wall will give a circular pattern, however as the distance increases, the size of the circle increases and the beam is spread violently. As a result, i only use it for over-taking OR flash 2-3 times to have them switch from high-low.

If you need a better look, I would be more than happy to catch up during the weekend and you can check the minor things yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adneeraj View Post
Many congratulations, Narayan.
It is a very well built German for sure. I had booked this one and had to cancel since my better half was not excited driving this one and chose the i10 Auto instead

I'd still want to get this one if I can go back in time really. Esp while it still has the 1.2 4 pot turbo. The 3 cyl 1l is coming soon and it may not be as exciting even with a similar output. To be seen.

To be honest, the black stickering on the doors and the GT Line badge isn't to my liking.

Few cars where you get an all black interior these days. Enjoy your ride and keep an ownership review thread alive.
Thank you adneeraj! I did read about the BS VI variants being 3 cylinders 1L, hence quickly purchased this. I also over-heard people talking outside the show-room that the next model would have a torque converter and maybe no DSG as well. Will have to wait and see. I opted for the vinyl and GT badge as I did not want a plain look. There is a non-face-lift White GT TSI in my building back in Mumbai, however after a lot of thinking, opted for the badge and vinyl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts1506 View Post
Congrats on your purchase, I am really liking the GTI-esque bumpers on the Polo. Not so nice for GTI owners though.

Unrelated question, are those parking spot pictures at Microsoft Ferns ? Looks eerily similar.
Thank you ts1506! Yea the bumpers do give sort of a GTI's look to the car. GTI owners can still be super proud that we are an imitation and not the real-thing .

Dang, seems like I gave it away. Yes, the parking spot pictures are at Microsoft Ferns ^^
Old 13th November 2019, 19:50   #17
BHPian

Welcome Narayan! If you're looking to upgrade the headlight switch, don't go the OEM route. 8K for that is crazy. Here's a link; you can also find it for much cheaper on other websites.
https://www.order2india.com/products...=1635919036431
TheHelix0202 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2019, 19:53   #18
BHPian

Hi sir, congratulations on your new new acquisition, sNooPy! That's an adorable name. You now have the best pocket rocket that is available in your budget(and even beyond that).
Will you be planning to modify the car?
BZ25 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2019, 20:11   #19
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
Welcome Narayan! If you're looking to upgrade the headlight switch, don't go the OEM route. 8K for that is crazy. Here's a link; you can also find it for much cheaper on other websites.
https://www.order2india.com/products...=1635919036431
You can buy automatic headlight from AliExpress for less than 2k which also has a chrome switch even though the quality of the switch is not on par with OEM

Last edited by anb : 13th November 2019 at 20:14.
anb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2019, 23:49   #20
BHPian

Congrats on getting sNooPy home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4rayan.jagdish View Post
Plastic headlight knob in the GT TSI. The GT TDI gets a better looking one. Checked with the Dealership in Bangalore and they said it'll cost ~8,000 for the entire assembly.
Here, have a look at this thread. You can replace the headlight switch easily and this will even be almost 4 times cheaper! It's a simple DIY too that would ideally take less than 10 minutes.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...ml#post3396851 (VW Polo DIY: Upgrading cabin light, headlight switch & installing footwell lights)

Cheers!
porsche_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2019, 08:59   #21

Welcome to the Forum Jagadish. Quite a comprehensive review, that! and Congratulations on your new ride.

I own a 13' Polo GT TDI and am toying with the idea of upgrading the headlamps. (Considering they almost don't light up the road at all) I'm not sure if I would want to invest in upgrading it to projectors. Could you tell me more on your headlamp upgrade and who did you go to?
Losa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2019, 09:40   #22
BANNED

Sorry for but was it your car @n4rayan.jagdish that had a minor incident on 7th Nov at Elite VW, Hosa Road?
Old 14th November 2019, 09:51   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshumandun View Post
While VW has given us the best engine and transmission combo, they have cut corners with the brakes and suspension quality. At 50k, they have again started to shudder at high speed braking although I changed the pads and rotors at around 30k due to shuddering. Is this fixed with the facelift model? Do let us know as you put in more miles on your car.
Sorry, if it is noob question. Is the shudder at high speed breaking due to ABS kicking in ? I also get that in my skoda rapid.
Old 14th November 2019, 10:04   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4rayan.jagdish View Post
This is my ownership review of the newest member of our family - 2019 Polo GT TSI (Face-lift) a.k.a 'sNooPy'. I brought him home on 31st Oct'19 and he has completed around 1500 Kms so far. The reason for the name is because, i used this as my gaming nick when I used to participate in Need for Speed Tournaments at the National level and this nickname has been very lucky to me. Hence i passed it on to my car.
Welcome to the forum n4rayan! Congratulations on bringing home sNooPy! Wish you & your family unlimited safe & happy miles with the rocket!

Loved your informative report & pictures. 400 kms within Mumbai in a few days & then a drive to Bengaluru. You sure are making the best of that lovely car. Keep that up & enjoy the drives!

One tip (you might not like what follows!) - Its technically illegal to install HID lights without a projector assembly. It scatters the light a LOT and blinds oncoming folks even without you using high beam. Be careful - these always catch attention of the traffic cops & they may pull you over & give you a ticket. I have friends who have been through this & have had to pay fines. Especially in Bengaluru, Tirupathi & Chennai!
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2019, 10:12   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid_fire View Post
Sorry, if it is noob question. Is the shudder at high speed breaking due to ABS kicking in ? I also get that in my skoda rapid.
ABS will kick in only if the tyres start to skid. The tyres will skid rarely at high speed braking unless the surface is wet/slippery, the tyres are bald or the braking is extremely hard. But I experience shuddering at high speed braking without any skid so it's definitely not ABS. Also, the ABS would be more of a vibration feeling on the brake pedal as the car engages and disengages the brakes in quick successions.

Shuddering happens due to uneven surface of the rotors. If the rotors are not of good quality, they warp and lose their flatness due to high temperatures they go through during braking. You can feel the non-smooth surface by rubbing your hands against the rotor surface.

One way to fix this temporarily is to skim the rotors at a lathe. This would make them behave well for a few thousands of kms until high temperatures again start to warp them. Permanent fix would be to swap the OEM rotors with after-market high quality rotors.

Probably the Rapid shares the same brake components as the TSI and so you are also experiencing shuddering with your car due to the poor quality rotors and pads.
anshumandun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2019, 15:37   #26
BHPian

Congrats on getting Snoopy! The pointers what you have told about the GT TSI are 100% accurate. The small motor has immense potential to put cars priced twice to shame and it's highway efficiency is not bad for a turbo petrol DSG. The city FE, brakes and suspension are the fly in the ointment of this potent hot hatch! No other hatch in this price matches the quality of VW.

Wish you happy miles with the GT in Bangalore and outside as well
jithin23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2019, 16:53   #27
Senior - BHPian

Hi Narayan. Congratulations for the car!

I have a question. Do all the facelifted Polo GTs come with the GT Line stickers and a wrapped roof?
Pancham is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2019, 17:57   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Hi Narayan. Congratulations for the car!

I have a question. Do all the facelifted Polo GTs come with the GT Line stickers and a wrapped roof?
From what I know, the roof wrap and stickers come separate and the dealership installs it if the buyer chooses to.
Old 14th November 2019, 19:13   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZ25 View Post
Hi sir, congratulations on your new new acquisition, sNooPy! That's an adorable name. You now have the best pocket rocket that is available in your budget(and even beyond that).
Will you be planning to modify the car?
Thank you BZ25. No immediate plans for any kind of modification as he is still fresh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche_guy View Post
Congrats on getting sNooPy home!

Here, have a look at this thread. You can replace the headlight switch easily and this will even be almost 4 times cheaper! It's a simple DIY too that would ideally take less than 10 minutes.
Thanks porsche_guy! I was searching for Gannu's post as he has done a lot of DIY's. This helps greatly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losa View Post
Welcome to the Forum Jagadish. Quite a comprehensive review, that! and Congratulations on your new ride.
Thank you Losa. I got it done from Vashi, Navi Mumbai from a trusted work-man whom I've known for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishen.padiyar View Post
Sorry for but was it your car @n4rayan.jagdish that had a minor incident on 7th Nov at Elite VW, Hosa Road?
Hey Kishen. I hope that was mine, since I wouldn't want anyone else to experience what I went through . It was indeed minor. Got the required things done and the pictures published are post the fixup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Welcome to the forum n4rayan! Congratulations on bringing home sNooPy! Wish you & your family unlimited safe & happy miles with the rocket!

Loved your informative report & pictures. 400 kms within Mumbai in a few days & then a drive to Bengaluru. You sure are making the best of that lovely car. Keep that up & enjoy the drives!
Thank you Reinhard. Didn't even realise when I had completed ~400kms. Had to show the car to my cousins and other family members. Also had to get used to the Automatic since it's my first Auto car. Moreover, living on Palm Beach Road in Mumbai has its advantages on the odo. In a blink of an eye, you've driven ~20+ kms.

Quote:
One tip (you might not like what follows!) - Its technically illegal to install HID lights without a projector assembly. It scatters the light a LOT and blinds oncoming folks even without you using high beam. Be careful - these always catch attention of the traffic cops & they may pull you over & give you a ticket. I have friends who have been through this & have had to pay fines. Especially in Bengaluru, Tirupathi & Chennai!
Ahh! Thanks for the useful information. There's nothing not to like about it. Keeping my fingers crossed as snoopy's future is in Bangalore and I have plans to go to Chennai & Tirupathi during weekends. Maybe the traffic cops won't notice it much as they are only 4300K's. I did check the light scatters by standing at different distances and it didn't seem much, but all I can do is hope for the best.

I had tried the MATRIX projectors on the Polo GT that my friend had got installed, but within a couple of days, it started showing signs of mositure and fog accumalation. I didn't wanna take that risk. Moreover VW is finicky about warranty. "You installed a new housing, sir! Wave sayonara to the warranty"

I do have plans to install projector's since it's so much more better (especially for on-coming vehicles), however just waiting for some more time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jithin23 View Post
Congrats on getting Snoopy! The pointers what you have told about the GT TSI are 100% accurate. The small motor has immense potential to put cars priced twice to shame and it's highway efficiency is not bad for a turbo petrol DSG. The city FE, brakes and suspension are the fly in the ointment of this potent hot hatch! No other hatch in this price matches the quality of VW.

Wish you happy miles with the GT in Bangalore and outside as well
Thank you jithin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
From what I know, the roof wrap and stickers come separate and the dealership installs it if the buyer chooses to.
Yes that is right. You can outright tell the Dealership that you don't want them (Vinyl, GT Logo & Black roof). The dealership installs them prior to the delivery of the vehicle if the buyer chooses to purchase them and the price is adjusted accordingly during booking.

Last edited by aah78 : 14th November 2019 at 19:32. Reason: Quotes trimmed.
n4rayan.jagdish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2019, 20:47   #30
BHPian

Welcome to the world of German Car Aficionados. The build quality and the planted feeling are unmistakably unique on these cars! I also got my my AMEO TDI from Autobahn and I got a really good deal on the prices.

I did not realize how the last year went by and the Ameo has covered 15k kms in such a short span. My daily commute to work and back plasters a wide grin on my face thanks to the ICE setup.

Welcome to Team- BHP!
t3ofil4us is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks