Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2019, 22:32   #1
BANNED

Driven & damaged a real Lamborghini perspective : Rented a Lamborghini Aventador S on American roads

Let me start of by saying that this thread won't be like any of the other reviews. I will not provide you with gorgeous DSLR views of a vehicle I do not own, nor will I use TopGear style writing with overly dramatic verbiage. I recently had the good fortune and misfortune of renting an Aventador S.
I love supercars, but I do not like the problems that come with them nor the liabilities, which is precisely why my policy is to rent. I also don't enjoy sports cars. The suspension is too stiff, the ride quality is very rigid and your spine will turn to powder on a proper civil road with perfectly usual imperfections.

I've driven just about everything under the sun except the Veyron, and because I have, my rental company loves me . But hey, who wants to spend a crore or two on the real thing when you don't even enjoy it, want to spend that kind of money or even want to own the problems that come with it ?

When a the new Aventador S came up I was a VIP for my rental firm so they called me and made me aware. Sure enough, I was there in their lot ready for pick-up. Once in a while, I like to take a really fast car out for a spin on empty city roads at odd times. THat's how I relieve. That's my stress ball to get away from everything. Just get on the road and forget everything.

Unfortunately I made the mistake of taking out the Aventador S.

Let me remind you. I am not new to cars of this caliber or power.
I've driven:

1. 911 Turbo (roads)
2. GT2 911 tracked
3. 458 Italia tracked
4. GTR tracked
5. Dodge Viper tracked
6. Huracan (Track and road)
7. Audi R8 (Track)
8. Corvette ZR1 (roads with TCS off)
9. Corvette Stingray Z51
10. Aventador Spyder 2016

So this isn't just some amateur sprint. I knew exactly what I was putting my hands on and the Aventador S knew exactly who was getting into it.

Let's cut to the meat and patties.

1. Looks and cosmetics

The Aventador S isn't as exotic looking as the other Aventadors. I got way fewer looks on the road compared to the other model I drove. Balloon white or white for that matter may not be the most ideal color. This isn't to say it doesn't draw looks. Oh trust me the Aventador S got me a resume. An Aventador is an employment exchange as long as people don't know you're renting it.

Lambo tried to add some pizzazz and drama to the car with the carbon fiber lips and side skirt linings but I suspect this is very minute compared the lack of a wing, the modest looking rear viz a viz the SVJ or the SV.

The front bumper corner shark fins also seem very superficial and come off as mere cosmetic molestations for the heck of it.

2. Subpar gearbox, very clunky and moody at low RPMS and bad transmission gearing

The car cannot be launched in gears 1 and 2 under 5000 RPM without you being hit in the back with a baseball bat and half the fixtures in the cabin falling off (police radar scanner anyone ?). The car is extremely awkwardly geared. In low revs in 1 and 2 a sneeze or a mere 1 millimeter depression on the pedal cause considerable acceleration. If you want a concussion or serious head injury, punch the pedal in gear 1 and guaranteed head injury. This is with TCS ON. Once you get past 5k RPM, the gears are seamless but there is still a violent jerking motion . This isn't a marked improvement from the older Aventador models. The HUracan's gearbox is light years better.

3. No cosmetic change to interior compared to older Aventadors

Although the interior is classy and neat, the buttons, the panels, the colors and materials all feel like some big cheap Chinese toy. Big dials, all matte black, lacking in depth and quality and sophistication. Senseless spaceship like center console just for the heck of oddness doesn't exactly make it better IMHO.

4. Horrible wooden bench feeling seats

The worst thing about the Aventador is probably the seats. They feel like sitting on a wooden surface in a school or a cheap school bus. Two flat surfaces angled towards each other at 90 degrees join to hold you in place. Otherwise there is little comfort padding material and side cushioning for when your rib cage moves from side to side.

I have to say I found this pathetic. The seats in my Lexus are eons ahead in comfort levels.

5. A remarkable improvement in suspension and dampening for road usage

The main improvement in the Aventador S is the suspension hands down. It is a remarkable titanic difference compared to the older Aventadors which were absolute horror shows and torture on roads in comfort mode.

The S is a different animal, and you just have to drive one to feel the difference. It is akin to having a ball bearing axle, and an axle which doesn't use ball bearings.

6. Much improved rear view camera

The old Aventadors would show you the rear view on the center console screen which wasn't much better than a calculator. The pixilation wasn't right and you couldn't see ditches and dings in the roads properly.

Now it appears on the dash board which is much improved.

*Do keep in mind, an Aventador of any model has to be reversed in. This isn't for flamboyance, attitude, or stylish ego displaying. I made the mistake of taking the easy way out and parking the car nose in, as you will see.

The issue with this is obvious. You can't see the front and where the road becomes a curb or a wall. Everything at this point is just guesswork, and you do not want to do that on a car with a nose as expensive as this or as anything as this.

Life would be unimaginable without the rear view cam.

Much improved AC

The older Aventadors had a serious circulation and fan problem at low speeds. You could die of asphyxiation in summers especially if you had a black hardtop or spyder roof and didn't open your windows . The car had to be at cruising speed for the AC to work properly in the older models and this model doesn't have that issue.

Fortunately, the heater works well. On a proper cold fall or winter morning, there isn't much like the feeling of listening to the V12 while your feet are heated and you have a nice little Starbucks beverage in your hand.

Uncomfortable driving dynamics compared to other similar vehicles
Ridiculously unwieldy and weighty compared to the Huracan
The Aventador S has not improved in this angle.

I'd rather be driving a 911 around a corner. Yes the AS is AWD and low slung reducing center of gravity. But it still weighs 2 tons. Almost close to an executive sedan.
The biggest misconception about the Aventadors is that because they look sporty they are sporty. Wrong. Dead WRONG.Yes it put out a stellar number at the Nurbergring but anyone who has driven a Huracan, Gallardo, or 911 will tell you that the Aventador is a very heavy car. Leave this vehicle in N on a downhill and it will roll much farther out naturally than any other supercar excluding the Veyron.You will also see why this weight which rests on very delicate rims is unideal as I had the misfortune of finding out for myself.

Super sensitive drivetrain and rims

The Aventador S is made to eat the road like a race car but this also means many negatives from a practical angle.A solid take-off on a road with a surprise pothole or sewer hole cover will hurt the rims and deform them, as I did. Pothole pic attached. This means effectively anyone with half a brain now has to do a proper road analysis of the roads they plan to unleash this car on before using it. At this point, is the Aventador an asset or a liability ? When's the last time you had to do a road analysis for a Maruti 800 ? As I went over a seemingly good area in an upscale part of town in full take-off mode, my front left wheel ran over a sewerhole cover which was at least 3/4 of an inch up. There was a LOUD THHHHHUDDDDDD sound like someone hit the front left with a giant hammer.
I got the shock of my life when I noticed no cosmetic damage upon checking after a pullover, but later realized the rim deformed.

Thanks Lamborghini ! This is why people pay for these cars ? To screw themselves ?

A must for ego-maniacs

Everyone else on the road seems cute with their GTRs, BMW M series, and whatnot.

I was challenged by a BMW M3 sedan at night on the highway. I frankly didn't care nor was I interested in racing and I left him in the dust after he tailgated me and stalked me too closely. My friend asked when I told him the story, did you show him ? He said, "show him what he amounts to ". I said "don't be silly, the answer is obvious even he knows, a demonstration of that would be teenage thinking". A solid laugh when some guy at a mall meets me at an intersection in a BMW M4 with the license plate "Mach 4".

"All I could think is then what is the car I'm in - Mach 7.2 ?"

Typical Lambo problems abound

1. Everyone at the gas station/petrol station wants to initiate in a conversation. I got a resume from someone who wanted to work for my millionaire real estate tycoon alter ego which I put on to behave as the owner of the vehicle, which is quite a stretch.

2. You drive this thing like an aircraft pilot. Ever see a pilot land ? One hand on the yoke, one hand on the thrust reverser or throttle. In an Aventador, you always have one hand on the nose lift button on the center and one hand on the wheel.

3. Every speedbump and drastic slope leads to anxiety

4. Merging is a calculated roll of dice. Merging in an Aventador is done in one style and one style only. Downshift to a lower gear, slam the accelerator pedal to make sure you're way ahead of everyone else, and slide in to place.

5. Common sense sensors which even my Lexus has isn't found in this vehicle. No merging BSM system. Side view mirrors should light up if there is a vehicle next to you whilst merging. Surprisingly not found in a vehicle like this .

6. Haters come out in hordes. Profanity, middle fingers, weird looks. Some people can't stand someone else being in something they want but don't have. It's life. Understandable. Despicable. But understandable. But hey, it isn't mine to begin with !

---

Lastly, to explain the windshield which looks deformed.

I did a high speed run at 3 AM in the morning. This is when you are the baap, babbar shehr, sultaan of the highways. The road is all yours. We taped the windshield to prevent debris at high speed from chipping our windshield. A friend joined me and we took the big bull all the way up to seriously high speeds.

For a solid 10 to 12 kilometers of single land, double sides barriered fast lane expressway, we got a thrill of a lifetime.

After the ride my friend goes "dude you pushed it man you really pushed it". All I could say was this; " We're in an Aventador S in our twenties. To not push it would be idiotic and a criminal charge pertaining to living life".

Hope this sheds some perspective. Having said that, I really think people who drive this in India have more money than sense. I found this to be a titanic liability on American roads. Yet we see SVJs and SVs roaming around town in Hyderabad and Bangalore roads like there won't be any drama. Simply astounding.

My best analogy is owning or having an Aventador in your garage is like having a 4 year old hyperchild with a notorious inclination for nuisance constantly asking you for chocolates and sweets. If you don't give it to him, he'll cry. If you do give it to him, you'll cry.

Driven & damaged a real Lamborghini perspective : Rented a Lamborghini Aventador S on American roads-img_0716.jpg

Driven & damaged a real Lamborghini perspective : Rented a Lamborghini Aventador S on American roads-img_0700.jpg

Driven & damaged a real Lamborghini perspective : Rented a Lamborghini Aventador S on American roads-img_0704.jpg

Driven & damaged a real Lamborghini perspective : Rented a Lamborghini Aventador S on American roads-img_0706.jpg

Driven & damaged a real Lamborghini perspective : Rented a Lamborghini Aventador S on American roads-img_0707.jpg

Driven & damaged a real Lamborghini perspective : Rented a Lamborghini Aventador S on American roads-img_0719.jpg

Driven & damaged a real Lamborghini perspective : Rented a Lamborghini Aventador S on American roads-img_1087.jpg

Driven & damaged a real Lamborghini perspective : Rented a Lamborghini Aventador S on American roads-img_1074-1.jpg

Driven & damaged a real Lamborghini perspective : Rented a Lamborghini Aventador S on American roads-img_1072.jpg

Driven & damaged a real Lamborghini perspective : Rented a Lamborghini Aventador S on American roads-img_1101.jpg

Driven & damaged a real Lamborghini perspective : Rented a Lamborghini Aventador S on American roads-img_1099.jpg

Driven & damaged a real Lamborghini perspective : Rented a Lamborghini Aventador S on American roads-img_1100.jpg

Driven & damaged a real Lamborghini perspective : Rented a Lamborghini Aventador S on American roads-img_0715.jpg

Driven & damaged a real Lamborghini perspective : Rented a Lamborghini Aventador S on American roads-img_0713.jpg

Driven & damaged a real Lamborghini perspective : Rented a Lamborghini Aventador S on American roads-img_1091.jpg

Driven & damaged a real Lamborghini perspective : Rented a Lamborghini Aventador S on American roads-img_1088.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 14th November 2019 at 09:34. Reason: No mention of illegally high speeds on public roads please
D33-PAC is offline   (55) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 01:53   #2
BANNED

Re: DRIVEN & DAMAGED A REAL LAMBORGHINI PERSPECTIVE: Lamborghini Aventador S joyride on American ro

Attached is a pic of the center console which contains the button tray.
I was driving 50-60% of the time with one hand on the wheel, one hand on the nose-lift button circled in purple.

The nose-lift button is an obvious life-saver, but it's a double edged sword.

It can damage the vehicle if continuously driven above cruising speeds and will not function at all speeds.

Driven & damaged a real Lamborghini perspective : Rented a Lamborghini Aventador S on American roads-lambowheel.png

Last edited by aah78 : 13th November 2019 at 18:27. Reason: Picture inserted in-line.
D33-PAC is offline   (51) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 08:54   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Driven & damaged a real Lamborghini perspective : Rented a Lamborghini Aventador S on American r

Killer thread - very different . Thanks for sharing, man!

Write-ups like these really put things in perspective. For all that we drool over supercars, most of them are horrible to live with or drive in the city. It's also why supercar sales are so low in India - related thread (Why Supercar sales are so woefully low in India (relative to the overall market size)).

In that sense, a Porsche 911 or Audi R8 do give you much needed practicality & user friendliness. Supercar performance + not being a pain to live with.

I actually had similar feelings after riding a 1-litre superbike in Mumbai. It was excessive + required 100% of your attention 100% of the time + too stiff + too hot (engine heat). Would rather rev a smaller capacity bike in Bombay.
GTO is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 09:27   #4
BHPian

Re: Driven & damaged a real Lamborghini perspective : Rented a Lamborghini Aventador S on American r

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Write-ups like these really put things in perspective. For all that we drool over supercars, most of them are horrible to live with or drive in the city. It's also why supercar sales are so low in India - related thread (Why Supercar sales are so woefully low in India (relative to the overall market size)).

In that sense, a Porsche 911 or Audi R8 do give you much needed practicality & user friendliness. Supercar performance + not being a pain to live with.

I actually had similar feelings after riding a 1-litre superbike in Mumbai. It was excessive + required 100% of your attention 100% of the time + too stiff + too hot (engine heat). Would rather rev a smaller capacity bike in Bombay.
That's precisely why they are "super" cars and bikes. Definitely not for everyday use. Ideal environment is your own personal race track. Interestingly the Bangalore Lamborghini service center is on a bumpy, speed breaker infested service road, in a sidey locality on the road to the airport. Wonder how they expect the cars to come in for service? Either a flat bed or a helicopter
AirbusCapt is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 09:47   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Also, please share the cost of rental? I was in USA recently and got a couple of fun cars on Turo (Cayman, Corvette). Would love to get something exotic like this just for the experience.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 10:06   #6
BANNED

Quote:

Thanks GTO. I really didn't have to write this because I was busy, but I have very few automobile enthusiast friends. So I wanted to tell the world in any way a Lamborghini or a supercar is not what you think it is.

The backseat of a chauffeured E Class or even Honda Accord is much comfier and the ergonomics are considerably better than a Lamborghini or any supercar for that part.

As far as the 911 goes, I've driven the GT series on track and a Carrera 911 on road. All I can say is, the 911 is the slightly average to decent looking girl that'll cook clean and wont make a nuisance. The Aventador is the supermodel with an arrogance from hell and a maintenance issue.

Lastly, my money is still on the 911 in corners. There is simply nothing like a 911 in a high speed corner or a sharp corner with twists and turns. The AWD on the AVentador makes it a firm competitor, but the heaviness of the car makes it a bit lethargic regardless.

The front of a 911 feels like just two wheels and nothing else in terms of weight, and you can imagine how amazing that lightness would feel in a sharp turn.

Having said that, I really think India's richies are masochists. I see those SVJ guys in Hyderabad and Bangalore and think to myself, arey wah, just to show-off you're willing to go through all that torture on Indian roads in a car like that?

I guess the attention one derives from society whilst driving such a car is similar to usage of drugs especially if it strokes your ego.

Last edited by aah78 : 13th November 2019 at 18:26. Reason: Spacing.
D33-PAC is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 10:08   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting mini-review there, D33-PAC !

You havent put a note with the pics. What's the pic with the bumper encircled for ?

And at 150mph, do you think that sheet on the windshield would have protected the glass ? I suppose you would take separate insurance for these cars for the hire period so that it doesnt reflect on the insurance for your cars ?
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 10:13   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Great thread. An eye-opener for those wet dreams involving supercars!

Quote:
K..For all that we drool over supercars, most of them are horrible to live with or drive in the city. It's also why supercar sales are so low in India ..
Very True.. If you intend to really use it, then in India, these Supercars cant be called cars and are more like Grown Men's Toys. You use them only where there are intended to be used (Read: Race Tracks etc..), get your satisfaction and be done with it. I have a cheap toy myself, which cant be driven on public roads (My Jeep) and I know how difficult it is to live with it, transporting it by truck anywhere you go.

Otherwise, for business purposes, its shows off how much money one has. I still fondly remember a person in my Village buying a Gallardo and the car sitting there in the front porch all the time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
You havent put a note with the pics. What's the pic with the bumper encircled for ?
I guess thats where it got damaged.

Last edited by dhanushs : 12th November 2019 at 10:15.
dhanushs is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 11:01   #9
BHPian

Great thread. An eye opener for sure. I have seen many reviews , all of them praising the Aventador. Your review is one of the very few which showcases the shortcomings too.

About the color, I agree with you 100%. White and Lambo don't go together. All Lambos should be in striking colours, probably fluorescent ones
Asish_VK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 11:09   #10
BHPian

Interesting write up. The worth of a sportscar or any car for that matter is always judged in the correct context. A sports car is both good & bad, just depends on whether you take it out on a track or a public road. Hence taking it out on the Lambo because it was too uncomfortable or unwieldy for you is unfair because it is meant to carve corners on a racetrack with razor sharp steering, & rigid chassis & suspension ensuring minimum body roll. The same on a public road will obviously discomfiting. Both are meant for different things.

People who own sports cars know this, that's why you'll rarely see anybody brave enough to drive it on the public roads. I suspect your opinion may change after you do a few laps with this Lambo on a track.

Last edited by GTO : 12th November 2019 at 11:17. Reason: Do NOT post in a rude manner on Team-BHP! You can get your point across in a polite way too. First warning
superbad is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 11:15   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
I guess thats where it got damaged.
When I saw the title of the thread, I was wondering if this Lambo is the same super-car that a mech crashed (pics on FB that are currently going around). (Didnt want D33-PAC to be that). When reading the thread, I was wondering if that bumper got damaged during the hire period. I swung these ends in the span of 1 post

But after reading I think D33-PAC is referring to the perspective of sports cars being damaged here
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 11:22   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbad View Post
People who own sports cars know this, that's why you'll rarely see anybody brave enough to drive it on the public roads.
We can wax eloquent about supercar performance on the track all day long, but the fact is, these cars spend 99% of their odometer reading on regular roads. With very few exceptions of owners from the North who take their car to the Buddh track, supercars in India are enjoyed on regular roads only and this thread helps to put things in the right perspective. The ownership is not as glorious or glamorous as its made out to be.

That's precisely why the Germans came out with super sedans from the AMG & ///M stables. It's also why a Porsche 911 Turbo has the kind of reputation it does.

GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 11:51   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbad View Post
Interesting write up. The worth of a sportscar or any car for that matter is always judged in the correct context. A sports car is both good & bad, just depends on whether you take it out on a track or a public road. Hence taking it out on the Lambo because it was too uncomfortable or unwieldy for you is unfair because it is meant to carve corners on a racetrack with razor sharp steering, & rigid chassis & suspension ensuring minimum body roll. The same on a public road will obviously discomfiting. Both are meant for different things.

People who own sports cars know this, that's why you'll rarely see anybody brave enough to drive it on the public roads. I suspect your opinion may change after you do a few laps with this Lambo on a track.

Agreed, I'm unsure if it wasn't obvious that it was meant in the road usage sense.

Also, I do have one slight point to add.

I have tracked a Gallardo and cars in that class. A shorter wheelbase makes a car more agile in corners and lighter weight always helps.

I'm sure the Aventador is great on track, but as someone who has driven a Huracan and a Gallardo let me add something.

1. The Aventador is still a bit heavy for track, making it not the truest form of a track vehicle. Anyone who has seen Formula 1 knows how much of a ridiculous weight 2 tons is, which is what the Aventador is.

2. Even if the Aventador is great on track, it'll probably be outdone by its sister car the Huracan. This is probably also why we see that model in championships instead of the Aventador.

The Huracan's gearbox is seamless and there are no jerks. The Aventador's gearbox has a long way to go.

Having said that, the Aventador set an amazing time at Nurbergring so I'm sure your points ring true as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
And at 150mph, do you think that sheet on the windshield would have protected the glass ? I suppose you would take separate insurance for these cars for the hire period so that it doesnt reflect on the insurance for your cars ?

I've always believed an ounce of precaution. In theory maybe it was irrelevant because as you mentioned at high speeds a thin film wouldn't help, but I did have an issue with high speeds before and expensive cars.

There is so much debris that flies up that we can't see and the smallest speck of a rock can cause a visible chip the faster we go.

For my mental satisfaction, it certainly did the job.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 13th November 2019 at 08:13. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Please use the EDIT / QUOTE+ functions to address your reply.
D33-PAC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 13:06   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

A 5 starer this one. Enjoyed each bit of the thread. You got a resume for real estate tycoon's portfolio management. I'm sure some are actually looking for your resume after seeing your thread!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
Let me start of by saying that this thread won't be like any of the other reviews. I will not provide you with gorgeous DSLR views of a vehicle I do not own, nor will I use TopGear style writing with overly dramatic verbiage. I recently had the good fortune and misfortune of renting an Aventador S.
And get this bit removed/reworked from a mod. You've done pretty much everything that you said you wouldn't!!
There was a very noticeable TopGear vibe in the language! I'm sure Jeremy is having hick-ups somewhere in Kent!

Some bits immediately reminded me of his 458 Italia review where he bashes old Ferraris (before showering praise over the 458).

Loved it.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 13:57   #15
Senior - BHPian

How this Abentador was speced.

Rental Company: You have seen that 5 series of ours?

Lamborghini : Say no more.

I absolutely love the Aventador, no other modern supercar brings this sort of visual drama to the plate. Though somehow I am not a fan of the way the S looks. The original 700-4 is my favorite.

Though I can echo the general sentiment of these supercars being impractical. I once rode shotgun in the Fmaous Prism Gold Aventador of Delhi, It was a terrible place to be in. Seat recline was very limited.

PS: I have 10 1:18 Scalemodels of Aventador.

Last edited by BANDHAV : 12th November 2019 at 14:03.
BANDHAV is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks