Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2019, 08:16   #16
BHPian

Re: My dual-tone Tata Harrier XZ

Congratulations on your new beauty. Amazing well balanced review, clearly capturing what heart and head aspires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jattitude View Post
Note: Please TD a Harrier manufactured after July 2019. In both my experience and others that i've spoken to, there is a lot of difference in pre and post July 2019.
I am intrigued to know what were the differences and what did TML do? Was it merely ECU update or something more to it. There was a major comment on its twitchy steering at 100+ speed in earlier review. However, whomsoever you speak now, they say.. No, they don't see any issue with the steering at high speed. Wondering, was it even an issue earlier?

Quote:
5. The positioning of the USB ports. What were TML engineers thinking?
IMHO, its rather very aesthetic and ergonomic that they have hidden those ugly ports from eye view. One has to plug the cable once into the USB and forget, rest of the time only phone has to be connected to the USB cable. To me it looks more aesthetic.

Quote:
7. A simple button to lock/ unlock all the doors from the inside.
I guess, you can use driver side lock/unlock button to operate all doors.

Quote:
2) Advanced ESP with 14 additional functionalities, like Anti-lock Braking System, Electronic Brake Force Distribution, Corner Stability Control, Off-Road ABS, Electronic Traction Control, Electronic Stability Control, Hill Hold Control, Hill Descent Control, Roll Over Mitigation and Brake Disc Wiping.
3) Front fog lamps with a cornering function.
4) It also has 2 additional Terrain Response Modes for driving in Rough or Wet conditions. I haven’t tried these yet.
These are some of best and fantastic features. Sadly, majority don't appreciate these and for them features means sunroof, voice command and other bling. Though I do have question, how to verify and validate claims made by these functionalities in terms of their reliability and usage.

Quote:
The boot space is humongous and worthy of a car of this size and price. Instead of the old school parcel tray, Tata should have instead chosen Hector’s retractable rear parcel curtain design. The rear parcel curtain does feel like a better, neater and more modern design for a premium flagship car in 2019.
Completely agree, Tucson has this and is very practical when one has to store some large / out of dimension stuff, especially after folding the rear seats. Hope, it may be available as aftermarket product and can be easily installed in Harrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sran View Post
Hector and seltos is not even comparable to this fantastic product. Hector for me is a dissapointing product and seltos along with creta are too high priced for what they offer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyencar View Post
The Seltos is too small and has a harsh ride, the compass is overpriced, the Hector is focussed more on bling and will get old quickly.
Very true, Hector is a wonderful bling loaded MPV and should be compared with Innova and Hexa. And yes, Seltos is more like over-sized over hyped hatch-back and way too expensive for its niggle laden offering & positioning. Instead of spending over 20L on GTX+ DCT, smart person could consider spending a few lakhs more and better get Hyundai Tucson that is a more sorted and reliable product.

And yes, these blings, especially sci-tech enabled ones fade very fast and most of them get available in aftermarket very soon. But, majority of Indians prefer bling & gizmo over safety, ride quality and performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
And yes agree with you regarding Tata not highlighting such safety features in the Harrier.
Frankly, TML seems to pathetic when it comes to advertising or managing the social media. And again, majority of Indians don't care about safety and core functionalities. Even most of the reviews also tend to focus more on bling and sci-tech features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igniteddriver View Post
I thought mine would be first Harrier review on this forum. You overtook me. Mine is still in the works.
Eagerly looking forward to your review.

Wondering, from exterior looks, how to identify different variants of Harrier? Interestingly, Harrier doesn't badge any variant information. What do you think?

Last edited by gutsy : 26th November 2019 at 08:23.
gutsy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 08:52   #17
BHPian

Congratulations for the new beast & also for the review. It is balanced, impartial & well written.
I've one question. In the list of negatives you have written & I quote "All doors should not lock automatically". Why? I think all doors MUST lock automatically. It is essential. I agree that there should be a separate button to lock-unlock. But auto locking of all the doors is a must in terms of safety.
Keen to know your analogy behind this.
speedguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 10:48   #18
BHPian

Congrats @Jattitude on purchasing the Harrier. Went through your Issue thread and glad that it got resolved.

I too was in the market around Sept, and test drove the Hexa and Harrier multiple times for a total of around 3 hours each. The dealers were very co-operative with my requests and was almost ready to buy the Harrier XT. That was the most VFM version with adequate features and a good interior. But then, the lack of space in footwell for the driver, huge OVRM blindspots, claustrophobic feel in the harrier with its thick pillars and high dash, confused gearing in between 1-2-3 which makes it tough to drive in the city pulled me out of it.

On the same day as the last test drive of the Harrier, I called up the Mahindra folks for XUV5OO, and I ended up buying the XUV5OO W7 and saving another 2+ lakhs for the same features and a vehicle which suited me more. Ride quality is the only place where the TATAs were unquestionably better.

My dream of owning a TATA SUV remains unfulfilled, and hopefully, the next one will be a TATA.

In the meantime, enjoy the Harrier and I'll be following this thread to know the long term experience.
Old 26th November 2019, 11:22   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .HEM View Post
@Jattitude - Congratulations on your new ride.
I wish to own one, but waiting for the automatic and AWD
Thank you! Yes, an Automatic variant should attract a lot more people. I haven't heard any talk about an AWD in the foreseeable future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZ25 View Post
Congratulations sir on your new acquisition
Thank you, Sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by igniteddriver View Post
Congrats on the new drive. Wish you happy motoring. The white Harrier is a looker, and Harrier gets admired wherever you go. I thought mine would be first Harrier review on this forum. You overtook me. Mine is still in the works.
Thank you and congratulations to you as well. What colour do you own? I'm eagerly waiting to read your review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
A very well written report by an actual owner Congratulations on your new Wheels Jattitude. Unfortunately it was not debugged before launch and the initial user experience was not what the Flagship Tata product deserved. It was also blindsided by the very savvy launch by MG
Thank you! I completely agree with you on MG Hector's savvy launch. Most people simply give credit to the bling and features given in the Hector, but miss the fact that MG also deserves credit for giving 555 standard warranty, service and RSA. TML was wrong to launch the Harrier without it being a complete product. Harrier is a car that deserves better. What is comforting is that TML has not been shy of taking remedial measures.

Quote:
What a wonderfully organised review! 5 stars for thoroughness . I agree with almost everything you say. If the Harrier's niggles are sorted then it really is worthy of the competition.
Thank you. As on date, I really don't find any niggles in the car, barring the Bluetooth phone call issue and I really wouldn't term it a niggle.

Quote:
What do you mean? If you brake then you're using them all every time right?
What I meant to say was that other contemporaries such as the Hector are providing 4 disc brakes, while the Harrier has only 2 disc brakes. 4 disc brakes might become the norm from here onwards. A lot of people harp on this as a major exclusion in the Harrier, but I'm not technically equipped to comment on the same. As a driver, I find the braking to be good.

Quote:
How does this work? Is Tata advertising this as a safety feature?
Tata does mention this in their brochure as a safety feature, but I haven't really seen it being advertised for public consumption. I am not sure if this would even matter to most of the prospective buyers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
Let us say that you are driving in wet conditions and so your brake discs are wet. Whenever you activate the wipers the ABS system kicks in and signals the brake pads to come into contact with the rotors ever so slightly so as to wipe off the water from the rotors. .
Wow! Thank you for explaining this feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sran View Post
Congratulations on your lovely new purchase.
Should have gone with black colour.
Thank you! Haha..the black Harrier does look superlative, but i'm already finding it difficult to keep the black roof of my dual-tone Harrier clean. Even the thought of having to maintain a complete black car gives me shivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutsy View Post
Congratulations on your new beauty.
Wondering, was it even an issue earlier?
Thank you! I did find the steering to be lighter compared to the current one, when I TD'd a Harrier from the first batch. I'm not well equipped to comment on what TML did to rectify this.

Quote:
I guess, you can use driver side lock/unlock button to operate all doors.
Yes, but it's too far away for someone sitting in the front LHS. IMO it needed to be a part of the dashboard.

Quote:
Wondering, from exterior looks, how to identify different variants of Harrier? Interestingly, Harrier doesn't badge any variant information. What do you think?
XT and XZ look similar from outside. IMO if the features in the XZ aren't important, then XT is a well priced and well-equipped variant. I am not sure about XE & XM as I didn't even consider these variants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedguy View Post
Congratulations for the new beast & also for the review. It is balanced, impartial & well written.
I've one question. In the list of negatives you have written & I quote "All doors should not lock automatically".
Thank you!

I've actually written the opposite in Sr. no. 7 under dislikes "All doors should not UNLOCK automatically."

Last edited by SDP : 15th December 2019 at 10:11. Reason: Max two smileys per post please. :)
Jattitude is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 11:29   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post
Congrats @Jattitude on purchasing the Harrier.

On the same day as the last test drive of the Harrier, I called up the Mahindra folks for XUV5OO, and I ended up buying the XUV5OO W7 .
Congratulations on the XUV5OO purchase and thank you for your wishes. I personally feel that XUV5OO a well-sorted SUV and if my daily use was more city v/s highway, I might have gone the same path as well. But, since my daily use is primarily highway, the Harrier and Hexa were my top two options as they are >> in the ride quality department when compared to the Mahindra. Yes, I agree with you that XT is the most VFM option. Hoping that the Buzzard is priced well vis-a-vis the XUV5OO.
Jattitude is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 12:33   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you!

I've actually written the opposite in Sr. no. 7 under dislikes "All doors should not UNLOCK automatically."
Oh..My bad. Thanks for clarifying.
speedguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2019, 10:15   #22
BHPian

It's a very useful review for those who might be considering purchase of a Harrier. Lots of little details that are normally missed. Contratulations on your first review.

Enjoy the car to the fullest and good luck.
ashokabs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2019, 11:41   #23
AZT
BHPian

Congratulations on your new car. Once the auto harrier launches your review could be very useful for people considering it then.

Wish you many more amazing miles. Do keep updating the thread with all your experiences
AZT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2020, 17:15   #24
BHPian

UPDATES UPTO 23-02-2020:

1) So did my first long self-drive trip to Hyderabad in my Harrier earlier this month. The car is a beauty to drive and to sit in. Very stable & comfortable on the highway. What performed the best though were the Seats, both front as well as rear. The Duster was a very capable car, but even half a day of driving used to end up in exhaustion for all the occupants. There was no exhaustion in the Harrier for any occupant. The mileage on the highway was less than 16 kmpl. The air-conditioning works very well, although the real test will be in April/ May.

2) I had attached an OBD device to my Harrier and whenever I used to park my Harrier for more than 24 hours, the battery used to drop to zero. Escalated to Tata and received a response that Tata discourages the use of OBD devices. Thought that it was a pretty lame response from such a big car manufacturer and hence thought of testing it on my 2nd car. Finally got an opportunity to attach the PBD device to my Vento for a good number of days and there was no battery drop even after 3 days. Have escalated to Tata again and awaiting a response.

3) Tata had this 1st-anniversary thing going, where they offered owners who registered the following. A good initiative by Tata to keeps the customers connected to the brand.
(a) A 40 point checkup with a wash.
(b) A pair of "Omega ARC Landrover Pedigree" scuff plates for the front.
(c) A personalised badge for the car as per the choice of the owner. (max. 10 alphabets). Mine was "WEGOPLACES". Photo attached below. Is of decent quality.
My dual-tone Tata Harrier XZ-tataharrier_wegoplaces.jpeg
Jattitude is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2020, 19:20   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1) So did my first long self-drive trip to Hyderabad in my Harrier earlier this month. The car is a beauty to drive and to sit in. Very stable & comfortable on the highway. What performed the best though were the Seats, both front as well as rear. The Duster was a very capable car, but even half a day of driving used to end up in exhaustion for all the occupants.
The Harrier has that presence on the road. Was driving on the Dharwad-Belgaum stretch earlier this month in my Storme and a Harrier went past almost effortlessly. It looked much better on the road than in pics.

You are correct about the Duster. People get overwhelmed by it's suspension, but end of the day the car has bad ergonomics. Even the Storme is much better in that department.
condor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2020, 20:50   #26
BHPian

Great pick bhpian Jattitude. Congratulations for the new addition. As you rightly Harrier is a mix of good and bad things just like every car but the tremendous road presence and the Land Rover DNA makes the Harrier a worthy buy.

All the best and wish you a happy mile munching experience in the times to come.
Old 26th February 2020, 08:26   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The Harrier has that presence on the road. Was driving on the Dharwad-Belgaum stretch earlier this month in my Storme and a Harrier went past almost effortlessly. It looked much better on the road than in pics.
Absolutely true. Even in the brochure, the Harrier doesn't look that good. But its got good presence on the road and looks imposing on the road.

Good from TATA to give the gifts to the owners on the 1st anniversary. @Jattitude-: Words well chosen.
krish3 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2020, 13:45   #28
BHPian

Great insights Jattitude. I am considering the Harrier as my next purchase. Just wanted to check with you about the ride in the back seat. I know you mentioned that it is good. Does it have that boat like sway so common in SUVs or is it well balance and sorted?
Garth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2020, 15:18   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth View Post
Great insights Jattitude. I am considering the Harrier as my next purchase. Just wanted to check with you about the ride in the back seat. I know you mentioned that it is good. Does it have that boat like sway so common in SUVs or is it well balance and sorted?
Hi, Garth! My family finds the rear seat to be very comfortable at both City and Highway speeds without the boat like sway.
Jattitude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 10:50   #30
BHPian

Quote:
I will post the next update at 10,000 km with an update on the ASS and niggles/ feedback if any. Thank you for reading the report and please feel free to point out any incorrect information/ errors.
Waiting for this sir. I know because of lockdown, the distance covered might be lesser than expected, but keen to know your long term ownership feedback as I am seriously considering to buy one.
rags.singh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed