New Car name: Tata Harrier
Variant: XZ
Colour: Dual-tone with White body/ Black roof
Engine: Diesel 1956cc
Transmission: Manual
Make Month & Year: August 2019
Car Delivery Month & Year: October 2019
KMS covered at the time of writing this report: 2700 kms
USAGE PATTERN: Atleast 70 kms daily; 70% Highway - 30% City.

Note: Please TD a Harrier manufactured after July 2019. In both my experience and others that i've spoken to, there is a lot of difference in pre and post July 2019.

A) LIKES & DISLIKES

A.1. LIKES:
1. Strong confidence-inspiring build quality.
2. Safety features.
3. Stability and comfort on the highway.
4. The design! Looks gorgeous on the road. Turns heads even after 11 months of launch.
5. Looks and feels like an SUV.
6. Ground clearance of 205mm.
7. Seats - Comfortable, good under-thigh support. This is a car that will not leave you feeling exhausted after a long drive.
8. Width of the car - Can easily accommodate 3 people at the rear.
9. Good headlight throw in the XZ variant. (Not sure about the rest)
10. Steering and clutch are well-weighted.
11. An Air-conditioner that chills.
12. Tyres - 17 inch, 235 section. Well sized considering the car.
13. NVH - Wind and road noise are well insulated even at high speeds.

A.2. DISLIKES/ SHORTCOMINGS/ MISSING FEATURES:
1. Not the best for use within the city.
2. Auto-dimming IRVM. (My much cheaper and non-top end Vento has this).
3. The front hand rest should actually work as a hand rest instead of being a glorified storage box. So many manufacturers don’t get this right. (Again, my much cheaper and non-top end Vento has this)
4. The side ORVMs offer a brilliant view of the rear but are a hindrance within the city and need a design change.
5. The positioning of the USB ports. What were TML engineers thinking?
6. Hydraulic support for the bonnet. It’s really heavy.
7. A simple button to lock/ unlock all the doors from the inside. My Duster had this and the Vento has this. All doors should not unlock automatically.
8. Rear boot curtain like that on the MG Hector.
9. The infotainment system. Should have been smoother from Day 1. Although the Harman guys visited immediately on filing the complaint and provided an update. It does not have any lags now, but Bluetooth phone calls are not completely reliable.
10. TPMS - A Tire Pressure Monitoring System should have present in the top-end model.
11. The quality of the reverse camera is
12. Front sensors should have been provided as a standard in a car of this size and at least in the top-end variant.
13. Engine noise in the front seat could be an issue for some people. It is not irritating or too loud, but yes, Tata Motors should work at providing better insulation in future facelifts.
14. 360-degree view camera system. Nit-picking here, but yes would've been a welcome feature.

B) PREVIOUS RIDE & SHORTLISTING NEW CAR
B.1. OUR PREVIOUS RIDE
Our previous ride was the Renault Duster 110 and it had clocked about 1,72,000 km in 5 years. After a good 1,72,000 km, I can strongly comment that no compact SUV in the segment rides like the Duster does, on all kinds of terrains. It was a non-AWD version, but I have taken it on paths where no car in the category would dare venture or come out unscathed. The car is driven by 2 individuals, my driver and I. Both of us aren’t spirited drivers and very careful w.r.t. how we treat the car, but, even after this there were frequent issues and high costs of replacement of critical parts in the past year, and hence we decided to switch cars. The car per se was still excellent from both perspectives, driver, and rider and can easily do plenty more kms on the road.

B.2. THE INITIAL SHORTLIST:
We had shortlisted the following cars as possible options.

B.2.1. Kia Seltos: My entire family rejected the car during the first drive itself because they felt claustrophobic in the rear seat. I am not a rear seat person and Kia is definitely a good driver’s compact SUV. I went back for a second drive, but I too rejected it. But my rejection was based on 2 reasons, firstly the price for the size of the car (compact SUV) and secondly because of the fact that it was Creta’s cousin and wouldn’t probably be able to out-accomplish feats by the Duster. Kia’s sales staff in my city weren’t well trained. This car is a compact SUV, from a segment lower to the Jeep/ Hector/ Harrier and maybe half a segment lower (size-wise) to the Duster.

B.2.2. MG Hector: The showroom experience at MG is superlative to say the least. The staff are well trained and know their car well. Hector is a good urban Mid-segment SUV/ MUV with a lot of features for the rupee. It definitely deserves to go down in the Indian automobile history as being a game-changer. It is a good car with a lot of positives and some negatives. But isn’t that true for most cars? The ride on the highway is a bit wobbly, but nothing of concern if you drive the car in a sedate and relaxed manner. Panel gaps on the bonnet were uneven and differed on all 4 cars available in the showroom. If you want a big car, will not be treading on broken paths, and will remain on normal roads then this car is a very good option as it offers so much more bang for the buck. Probably one of the reasons for its high sales. My family loved the car. My family and I don’t have concerns about its Chinese origins. We are not discussing a cheap Chinese pen, but a sophisticated global car. It has a 5-star CNCAP rating and has sold respectable numbers in China as the Baojun 530. The Japanese and Koreans in India need to really start to worry and take notice.
I did go back for a second and third test drive, but my reasons for not opting for the Hector were as follows:
1) Long-term reliability of so many electronics at this price point was a matter of concern to me.
2) After-sales service with a single dealer selling a single car. The volumes are bound to go down in 2020, once the euphoria of a new launch has subdued and competitors start offering the features that MG has given in the Hector and these become the new normal.
3) I need to frequently take the car on rural roads and the Hector seemed to be more at ease as an urban cruiser.

B.2.3. Jeep Compass: The best car in the mid-segment SUV. 2 reasons for rejecting it. FCA ownership of the brand and the price. It is just too expensive when compared to the competition and they really need to normalise the prices. If you have the money to spend and like it by all means, invest in this car. For me, it just doesn't provide me with enough esp. with Hector having changed the rules of the game.

B.2.4. Tata Hexa: It seemed tempting, offered an excellent ride quality and a very efficient and time tested auto-gearbox, but all the rumors around Tata dropping it in 2020 in favor of Tata Buzzard made us drop it as an option. In fact, my wife commented that the Hexa seemed to be the most sensible choice amongst all the offerings in this segment and she couldn’t believe it’s low sales numbers. We had sat in both the Aria and Innova during our trip to Ladakh and both of us had agreed at the time that the Aria was definitely better than the Innova. Tata Motors needs to do a Nexa to sell these expensive cars. It's constantly making beautiful cars.

B.2.5. Tata Harrier: When I had looked at the Tata Harrier in Callisto Copper for the first time, it was love. For me, no other car south of 20 lakhs has till date ever made my heart skip a beat. It has been designed beautifully! We first test drove the Tata Harrier in August 2019 and though the looks of the car had bewitched my entire family, my family wasn’t amused by the rolling in the rear seat at low speeds and also a fair bit on the highways. There were other driver-related issues too, in line with and as already pointed out in the team-bhp official review. Due to this bad experience, we rejected it in August 2019. As communicated to us, the test drive car was apparently from an initial lot of January 2019 batch or before that.

We paused our search for a new car as no car was able to offer us a lot of value over our current Duster and we decided to keep the Duster a bit longer. Come September 2019 and the Duster's visit to the SC again gave us reason to set out to re-evaluate our options. I had read in multiple forums that the Harriers manufactured post-July 2019 were a lot different and better when compared to the ones prior to July 2019.

During the last week of September 2019, we were offered a test drive of a Dark Harrier from the August 2019 batch and yes, the difference was apparent immediately. The rolling in the back seat was negligible and only on slow speeds. Steering was well-weighted at high speeds, but not Jeep/ Linea good. The gearbox is a bit notchy, but again way better than that on my Duster. Tata will be well served to launch an Auto gearbox soon. The clutch was much lighter than what my Duster had ever offered. The ride quality on the highway is impressive. It is a big car. The infotainment system did not act up during the test drives. The seats, both the front and rear are very comfortable to sit in and the interiors look stated and premium. The driver position will be a hit or a miss for most people but search for it patiently and you will find it. The exterior, esp. the rear has panel gaps, but we found them to be even across different cars.

C) THE BUYING DECISION AND ALL ABOUT THE CAR

C.1. THE BUYING DECISION:
We liked the car. There was apprehension to invest INR 2 million in a Tata product. Apart from having read up reviews and feedback online, I discussed with a friend who owns a Tata Hexa and has owned 2 Safari's in the past, about the service and parts, etc.. He said that the Safaris had given him a bit of trouble, but he remained very satisfied and happy with his trouble-free Tata Hexa ownership of 1.5 years.

The above combined with the discounts on offer, we decided to go ahead with the purchase of the Tata Harrier. The parents said no to the Callisto Copper colour (:/) and hence we settled for the XZ model in Dual Tone White-Black for our ride. Had we seen the Thermisto Gold in person, we might have ordered that car. Tata really needs to change the name of this beautiful colour and promote it more. IMO the discounts being offered by Tata are less of discounts and more like normalising the value vis-a-vis the Hector. The Hector really changed the pricing game for everyone. We purchased the XZ version as the family wanted all 6 airbags, while I felt that that XT version offers the most value.

C.2. ON-ROAD PRICE, DISCOUNTS, EXTENDED WARRANTY AND SERVICE PACKAGES:
The on-road price of the Tata Harrier XZ Dual Tone is Rs. 20.60 lakhs. It comes in a single diesel engine across variants, and I was able to negotiate a discount (including exchange bonus, etc..) of Rs. 1 lakh. An additional 5 years extended warranty package was also offered as a part of the above price. No service package was purchased by us as they are too expensive. NOTE: Please do purchase the EXTENDED WARRANTY of 5 years “Pentacare” at the time of the purchase itself. I felt that Tata Motors should have offered this free of cost as a standard warranty.

MG Motors India has shown how to build confidence in people by offering 5 years of warranty, 5 free services and 5 years of road-side assistance with the purchase at no extra cost.

C.3. COMPLETE BOOKING & DELIVERY EXPERIENCE WITH THE DEALERSHIP:
We purchased our Harrier from Aditya Auto Agencies, Nagpur and the booking & delivery experience was smooth. What was impressive to know was that one of the owners had put up his direct number in Google. It makes it easier to escalate in case of any difficulties. The sales guys need to be trained better by Tata Motors Limited. The Harrier was dispatched from TML, Pune immediately on booking. We had insisted on a car manufactured on or after August 2019.
My dual-tone Tata Harrier XZ-tata_harrierxzdelivery_001_06102019.jpg
My dual-tone Tata Harrier XZ-tata_harrierxzdelivery_002_06102019.jpg

There were some issues immediately post-delivery related to transit damage, but I will skip them here as they have already been covered in detail in a different thread and the matter has been resolved.

C.4. PDI
# The ODO read 42 kms, which was a tad surprising but let it slide as the dealership's stockyard is about 10-15 kms away and they don't have their own workshop yet, and apparently use the services of a service center some 10-12 kms away.
# The interiors of the car were covered in dust and I had them clean it up before the delivery.
# Checked for signs of rusting.
# Lamps, light, paperwork, spares, tools were all in place.
# Missed a re-paint job on a transit damaged door. The positive outcome of having discovered this the next day is that now I know how to even look for these that are difficult to find.

C.5. ACCESSORIES:
1. No car accessories were purchased from the dealer.
2. Purchased External TPMS by SenSairy from Amazon. Got an excellent flash deal. Helped predict a puncture within the first week itself and saved me from the hassle of being stranded in the middle of nowhere. Mine shows the output in the app, but a HUD is also available now. Internal sensors are also available with SenSairy. https://tymtix.com/#/store
3. Purchased 7D floor mats in black. Rs. 6,400.00 for the entire set, i.e. front & rear.
My dual-tone Tata Harrier XZ-tata-harrier_floor-mats.jpg

C.6. THE HANDSOME BEAST COMES HOME:
We brought home our handsome beast on 06-10-2019 and boy, this car is a proud and arrogant head-turner. I’ve had neighbors come up to me to compliment the car. A neighbor, while seated in his Honda Amaze, told me its size is that of a mini-truck. I don’t know if he meant it as a compliment or otherwise, but I will take that as a compliment.
My dual-tone Tata Harrier XZ-tata_harrierxzdt_102019__1574143929_59.97.236.19.jpg

C.7. EXTERIORS INCLUDING WHEELS & LIGHTS:
This car is a beauty and is pure love at first sight. This IMO is simply the best looking car in its segment and maybe even from one or two segments above. I remain smitten. Overall build quality is confidence-inspiring and all the doors close with a nice thud. Panel gaps are visible but are even throughout the car and across multiple cars that I’ve seen.

LIGHTS - The DRL’s look beautiful during the day or at night and the Xenon HID projector headlights light up the road well at night. The point to note is that only the low beam is Xenon HID while the high beam is halogen.

FOG LAMPS - These double as auto-cornering lamps

WINDSHIELD - The view from the driver seat is commanding. The wipers are long and have a good sweep.

WHEELS - The wheels are well sized. I have no beef with the design of the alloys and I personally hold the opinion that a subtle design for the alloys was required for this car. Although, since Tata already has black alloys for the #Dark Harrier, they should have offered those with this dual-tone White/ Black colour. Would have made the car look even better.

C.8. SAFETY FEATURES:
The Tata Harrier XZ variant is loaded with safety features:
1) 6 airbags
2) Advanced ESP with 14 additional functionalities, like Anti-lock Braking System, Electronic Brake Force Distribution, Corner Stability Control, Off-Road ABS, Electronic Traction Control, Electronic Stability Control, Hill Hold Control, Hill Descent Control, Roll Over Mitigation and Brake Disc Wiping.
3) Front fog lamps with a cornering function.
4) It also has 2 additional Terrain Response Modes for driving in Rough or Wet conditions. I haven’t tried these yet.

C.9. DRIVING QUALITY, DRIVE MODES & MILEAGE:
Driving Quality: Our Harrier has done about 2700 km in the 45 days of ownership. Our mandatory daily driving of 70 km is 70% highway and 30% city. I usually drive sedately between 1800 RPM to max. 2200 RPM with speeds hovering usually around 80kmph to a max of about 100kmph.

C.9.1. The positives of the driveability:
# The car is stable at the above speeds and I do not see any negatives here.
# The hydraulic steering is well-weighted and I did not find it to be light. I like the size. Could have looked and sounded better. Buttons on the steering are in easy reach.
# The clutch feels well-weighted when compared to the one I had on my Duster 110.
# The Engine offers good linear acceleration. I don't find any noticeable turbo lag at low RPMs.
# The brakes work well and the car stops properly. I haven’t used all 4 disc brakes cars extensively and hence not in a position to comment on how much better or worse they would make the braking experience. The Harrier is very stable even at 120kmph and inspires confidence. Overtaking has not been an issue at either SPORTS or CITY drive modes.
# All the stalks for the light, wipers are easily accessible.

C.9.2. The negatives of the driveability:
# The car stalls if the revvs are low in the 2nd gear. Need to be careful around this.
# Engine is audible in the driver's seat. It's not too bad, but could and should have been better. Bonus points to MG, Kia and Hyundai here.
# Finding the correct driving position can be a bit difficult, but I had found mine during the 2nd test drive itself.
# The Manual gearbox is not the smoothest. Only Kia & Hyundai seemed to have figured this out in this price range.
# The outside ORVM were cumbersome initially, but they are no longer a hindrance as either I seem to have gotten used to them or maybe I know that they are an issue, hence subconsciously I have adapted to looking around before I take a right turn or when I am on a narrow/ busy road. I am not sure if my opinion will remain the same if my driving changes to more of City or Hills driving. Please TD multiple times if your driving characteristics are predominantly within the city or on Hills. Tata does need to change this design, even at the cost of the overall aesthetics of the car.

D) DRIVE MODES:
The ECO, CITY & SPORTS drive modes:[/u] These modes are not gimmicks and actually contribute to the driveability and mileage. For example, in ECO mode the car outputs 100 bhp of power, which not only results in better driveability but also better mileage when in bumper to bumper traffic. The CITY mode is optimum for either driving in moving city traffic or cruising at 80 on a highway. Results in a power output of about 120 bhp and a reasonable mileage of about 18.0-18.5 if being driven at about 2000 RPM. This is also the default driving mode of the Harrier. Engaging the SPORT mode increases the power output of the car to 140 bhp. You can feel an immediate difference in performance. The mileage also decreases to about 16.5-17.0 at about 2000 RPM. I usually prefer the CITY mode for most of our daily driving. The SPORT mode would probably be best reserved for long highway drives.

E) KITNA DETI HAI?: Our daily drive of 70 km is 70% highway and 30% city, and we drive in a sedate manner between 1800-2000RPM with speeds usually not exceeding 80kmph. The MID shows a mileage of about 16.5-20 KMPL, depending upon on which mode and how one is driving. Yet to do a tank-to-tank method.
Our last ~577 kms returned 16.4 KMPL as per the onboard system. This is primarily 70:30, Highway:City non-spirited driving. Photo attached below:

My dual-tone Tata Harrier XZ-photo_tataharrier_mid_001.jpg

F) RIDE QUALITY, NVH & AIR-CONDITIONER

F.1. The Ride Quality: The front seat is a very comfortable place to sit in, with a commanding view of the surroundings. Unlike some SUVs that I’ve driven, I did not feel that I was sitting on top of the car, but rather inside it. The bonnet is completely visible and that’s very helpful. It’s a big car and if you are graduating from a sedan or even a compact SUV like the Duster or Creta, you will feel the difference and the motorist's around you will look puny. The ride quality as a driver is good and the Harrier comes into its own on the highways and at speed. I am yet to drive it long-distance as a driver. At city speeds, a bit of roll will be experienced, probably due to the stiff tuning of chassis.
I haven’t yet sat in the rear-seat of my Harrier, though I was recently in the rear-seat of a friend’s Harrier for a 600 km single day return trip from Nagpur to Raipur, and the rear seats are good. Right from the recline angle to the under-thigh support. If Tata Motors is able to provide a reclining feature without compromising the current seat quality, it will make an already excellent backseat even better. Similar feedback from the other rear seat users in my Harrier.

F.2. NVH: This plays a major role in the overall ride experience.
Front-seat: In the front seat, the engine noise is definitely audible and esp. at higher RPMs, but not as much as to be of concern. My opinion could be so because I have graduated from a Duster, where Engine, road and wind noise was very audible. Road & wind noise are negligible in the Harrier.
Rear-seat: I could barely hear the engine sound while in the backseat for 10 hours during my 600kms single day trip. Road & wind noise are negligible.

F.3. Air-conditioning: The aircon of Harrier is brilliant and with temperatures in the mid-30s outside the interior temperature at 26 or 27 and fan at 1 is also sufficient to cool the complete car. Its real test though will be in simmering Nagpur summers when the outside temperature is hovering around and in excess of 45 deg Celsius.

G) THE INFOTAINMENT SYSTEM, MID & APPS:

G.1. Infotainment system: The screen is sized and placed appropriately and has a well-designed layout. I am really thankful that Tata has provided utilitarian physical buttons underneath the touchscreen. Very useful while driving. Much much easier and less distracting vis-a-vis using the touchscreen while driving. All the functions on the touchscreen are easily accessible and the touches are precise. The software on the infotainment system has not been a 100% happy story for me. No major lags, but occasionally and randomly throws up Bluetooth connection issues during active phone calls. The Harman technician told me that as per their supported device list, my Oneplus 5 is not supported while the 5T is. This baffles me because the 5 & 5T are primarily the same phones barring the screen and the rear camera. While apparently his 3-4-year-old Vivo phone is supported. Beats me! The issue has become less frequent with the new software R11 (apparently no. 11 is for the patch released in November.). No problems while playing music or listening to Audiobooks/ Podcasts. Only Bluetooth phone calls remain a problem where the system has a mind of its own. It’s my first time with Android Auto and I haven’t used this function much, but it’s really backward that one has to connect a USB cable to connect to Android Auto. Google needs to make it connectable on Bluetooth and also for the entire screen to be utilized.

G.2. The Speakers: The JBL speakers are Mind-blowing and well-tuned for various genres of music. Harman has done a fantastic job with both Tata Harrier and MG Hector (Infinity). Any new owners, if you’re unaware then please get the plastic sheet on top of the front driver side speaker removed. This sheet vibrates and is a nuisance esp. during phone calls. All is well after removing it.

G.3. MID:The MID is easy to read while driving and is a big upgrade from the basic one that we had in the Duster. The graphics on the MID are sharp and praiseworthy. A good amount of information is provided by it.

G.4. APPS: Tata Motors has 4 Android apps to control various functions as below. Yes, Four. They really need to make a single app for everything.
1) TMSC - This is a service-related app that you can use to place a service request or file a complaint. It also has all the info on your car such as service history, insurance, extended warranty coverage, AMC coverage, other packages purchased, etc..
2) ConnectNext - Provides you with the odometer reading, distance to empty figure, Trip A and B figures. Yet to figure out the purpose of this app.
3) Tata Smart Remote - It's a remote control app for the infotainment system and the air conditioner. Much needed for a chauffeur-driven car.
4) DriveNext - This is also available on the infotainment system of the car and gives you a driving efficiency score based on various driving parameters. Within the app, you can also view your trip history. DRIVENEXT screenshot of "overall" and "Trip B - last 577 kms" attached below for reference. It scores primarily based on gear utilisation, acceleration, braking and usage of seat belts.

My dual-tone Tata Harrier XZ-photo_tataharrier_drivenext_001.jpg

My dual-tone Tata Harrier XZ-photo_tataharrier_drivenext_002.jpg

H) THE INTERIORS:
The interiors are subtle and look premium. We found them to be better aesthetically vis-a-vis the interiors of the Hector.
SEAT COVERS -The seat covers in the top-end XZ have been chosen wisely by Tata. They look and feel premium. Personally prefer this colour to the black coloured seats.
DASHBOARD - The faux wood finish plastic on the dashboard looks premium and the black plastic on the dashboard also looks and feels good.
DOORS - The plastic on the doors could have been better, but then the competition isn’t offering anything much superior. Overall the plastic feels as if it will age well.
STORAGE SPACES - The storage spaces built into the doors are plenty and well thought of. The rear seat doors have a special place to keep your mobile phone. Very thoughtful!
WINDOWS - There is an Auto up feature for the driver window. In 2019 for a car in this price range, the windows should have an auto up and down button for at least both the front seats. Note: The rear windows come down to about 80% and don’t open completely.
HANDBRAKE - The handbrake looks good and isn’t that difficult to operate as-on-date. Only time will tell how it engages as it ages.
IRVM - In this segment, the inside IRVM needs to be of an auto-dimming kind. My Vento has it from 2016 and it makes night driving so much easier. The Hector doesn’t have this either. Not sure why manufacturers are missing out on a much-required "safety" feature.
FRONT-CENTRE HAND REST - The front-centre hand rest is simply a storage box with a chilling function. It is useless as a hand rest unless you’re probably well over 6 feet. A good functional hand rest really helps while cruising on an expressway/ highway.
BOOT - The boot space is humongous and worthy of a car of this size and price. Instead of the old school parcel tray, Tata should have instead chosen Hector’s retractable rear parcel curtain design. The rear parcel curtain does feel like a better, neater and more modern design for a premium flagship car in 2019.

I) SUMMARY:
This car has got a lot of things right. Like most cars, it is by no means a perfect car. What is encouraging though is that Tata Motors has been offering regular updates, both software and hardware. Looking at our primary usage, price and other observations, the Harrier felt right for us to buy when compared to alternatives in this segment and hence we went for it. Even after 11 months of launch, the car still manages to turn heads on the road. Apart from being a stable and comfortable ride in its segment, it is by far across segments amongst the best looking cars on the road.

Yes, the Harrier does miss out on a lot of features vis-a-vis the Hector, but if you factor out the missing creature features then prima facie the Harrier definitely seems to be the better car to me. The Harrier/ Cassini-Buzzard have to incorporate at least some of the important creature features in future iterations as MG has shown the path for all future modern cars. I personally feel that the Tata Cassini/ Buzzard should only be launched with some additional creature features instead of being just a 7 seater version of the current Harrier. This accompanied with a good price, will make it a stronger force to reckon with. It'll also have to deal with a new XUV5OO launch in 2020.

I will post the next update at 10,000 km with an update on the ASS and niggles/ feedback if any. Thank you for reading the report and please feel free to point out any incorrect information/ errors.

Last edited by Jattitude : 24th November 2019 at 11:05. Reason: Feedback/ suggestion from Mod.
Jattitude is offline   (94) Thanks
Old 17th November 2019, 22:06   #2
BHPian

re: My dual-tone Tata Harrier XZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jattitude View Post
Steering was well-weighted at high speeds.
Are you sure about this I just took a TD of Harrier 2 days back and both Seltos and Hector had better steering feel.
Brishti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2019, 22:38   #3
BHPian

re: My dual-tone Tata Harrier XZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jattitude View Post
IMO the discounts being offered by Tata are less of discounts and more like normalising the value vis-a-vis the Hector. The Hector really changed the pricing game for everyone. We purchased the XZ version as the family wanted all 6 airbags, while I felt that that XT version offers the most value.
Congrats on your purchase Looks lovely in white.
Would you mind sharing on how much discount did you get?
gupta_chd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2019, 23:54   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brishti View Post
Are you sure about this I just took a TD of Harrier 2 days back and both Seltos and Hector had better steering feel.
Absolutely. I have been driving one almost everyday for the past 30+ days. Seltos definitely had a better steering and gearbox. The Hector that I TD'ed had a very notchy gearbox and a light steering. Try and TD a Harrier manufactured after July 2019 or atleast one that has been updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gupta_chd View Post
Congrats on your purchase Looks lovely in white.
Would you mind sharing on how much discount did you get?
Thank you! Discounts keep varying as per the available offer. A friend had enquired a week back from a different dealership and he was given a quote of 19.69 lakhs on road for XZ Dual Tone with a scope for further discounts. That's a discount of about 90K from the listed price.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 18th November 2019 at 04:38. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts. Please use the Multi-Quote button to reply to more than one post at a time. Thanks.
Jattitude is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 09:53   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: My dual-tone Tata Harrier XZ

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!

Your car is going straight to our homepage .

Also leaving a link to your other thread here - Got sold a repainted Harrier
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 10:24   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!

Your car is going straight to our homepage .

Also leaving a link to your other thread here - Got sold a repainted Harrier
My first review on the forum!
Jattitude is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 11:00   #7
BHPian

@Jattitude - Congratulations on your new Harrier and it looks stunning in the White DT. Every time I see Harrier on road, I can't help but to take a look at it!

I am in the same boat as your were before the Harrier Purchase, except I am looking for Auto Box. I have been evaluating similar options (Seltos, Hector, XUV500) in the 15-20L price range, but not I am able to find the match I am looking for. I am really hoping that TML surprises me with the launch of auto box in the coming months. It will be in serious consideration for me.

Hoping happy miles for you!
Old 25th November 2019, 12:20   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varman742 View Post
@Jattitude - Congratulations on your new Harrier and it looks stunning in the White DT.
I am in the same boat as your were before the Harrier Purchase, except I am looking for Auto Box. I have been evaluating similar options (Seltos, Hector, XUV500) in the 15-20L price range, but not I am able to find the match I am looking for. I am really hoping that TML surprises me with the launch of auto box in the coming months. It will be in serious consideration for me.
Thank you! She does look gorgeous and flaunts it too.

I feel your pain. The choice is limited and each car in this segment is both offering and missing a few things. For me, it was the highway ride quality and looks ( not necessarily in that order ) that made it the choice. Going by the information available on the internet, TML might soon offer an Automatic transmission in both the Harrier as well as the Cassini/ Buzzard, and also reduced sized OVRMs, at least in the Cassini.
Jattitude is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 14:43   #9
BHPian

@Jattitude - Congratulations on your new ride.

I took a test drive of the Harrier, when it was launched and felt it like a overall package.

I wish to own one, but waiting for the automatic and AWD
Old 25th November 2019, 15:23   #10
BHPian

Congratulations sir on your new acquisition! The Harrier is one of Tata's best efforts at reaching international standards and competing with international players in their own playground.
I do hope that they get rid of all niggles. Wishing you some great times with this beauty.
Old 25th November 2019, 15:47   #11
BHPian

Congrats on the new drive. Wish you happy motoring. The white Harrier is a looker, and Harrier gets admired wherever you go. I thought mine would be first Harrier review on this forum. You overtook me. Mine is still in the works.
igniteddriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 16:09   #12
Senior - BHPian

A very well written report by an actual owner and user which is comprehensive and covers all aspects.

Rated 5 stars.

Congratulations on your new Wheels Jattitude. If I were to buy a car based on the looks alone, it would be the Harrier. It sure is the most handsome Indian made car to date. Unfortunately it was not debugged before launch and the initial user experience was not what the Flagship Tata product deserved. It was also blindsided by the feature rich MG Hector and the very savvy launch by MG
( warranty, pricing, features and, engine and transmission options and the trim levels). Having said that, Tata has worked hard on improving the product and it still has the wherewithal to be a winner( Much like the Indica V2) in sthe show room sweepstakes.

Last edited by rajneeesh : 25th November 2019 at 16:15.
rajneeesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 20:33   #13
BHPian

What a wonderfully organised review! 5 stars for thoroughness . I agree with almost everything you say. The Seltos is too small and has a harsh ride, the compass is overpriced, the Hector is focussed more on bling and will get old quickly. If the Harrier's niggles are sorted then it really is worthy of the competition, not to mention its street presence is unmatched. Having said that, the Hexa is still the better car. Too bad TML is losing prospective customers because of unfounded rumours about their commitment to the Hexa.
Quote:
I haven’t used all 4 disc brakes cars extensively
What do you mean? If you brake then you're using them all every time right?
Quote:
Brake Disc Wiping
How does this work? Is Tata advertising this as a safety feature?
Iyencar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 21:47   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyencar View Post
How does this work? Is Tata advertising this as a safety feature?
Let us say that you are driving in wet conditions and so your brake discs are wet. Now imagine you want to brake. In this case since the discs are wet there is less friction between the brake pads and the disc which in turn reduces your car's braking ability and increases the distance travelled to come to a stop.

So this feature is used in sync with the ABS and windshield wiper system. Whenever you activate the wipers the ABS system kicks in and signals the brake pads to come into contact with the rotors ever so slightly so as to wipe off the water from the rotors. This is done without the driver even noticing it.

And yes agree with you regarding Tata not highlighting such safety features in the Harrier.
ram87pune is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 00:30   #15
BHPian

Congratulations on your lovely new purchase. I am a huge fan of Harrier. It is a beauty. No car compares today with the street presence of harrier. I have driven it for 1500+ kms and it's fantastic.

Hector and seltos is not even comparable to this fantastic product. I have driven most of the suv's and owned safari for over a decade along with scorpio but harrier is two steps ahead. Hector for me is a dissapointing product and seltos along with creta are too high priced for what they offer.

Should have gone with black colour. Tata always had good air conditioning system in their suv's. The brake wipers are an excellent feature. Although I dislike rear windows which don't go down fully, it gives the vibe of mumbai's fiat taxis.
Sran is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks