Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2020, 07:50   #121
BHPian

Re: Ownership Review: My Kia Seltos 1.4L Turbo Petrol (GTX+ DCT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
Guess full disengagement depends on the pressure you're applying on the brake pedal. If one applies the brake full and hard, it disengages fully. But people tend to move in b2b traffic by only modulating the brakes by making use of the creep function. During such instances, the clutch doesn't disengage fully and is the root cause of overheating issues what we keep hearing on DSG/DCT equipped cars.
This could be the main reason of failure of DCT/DSG.
Old 25th November 2020, 15:45   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Guess full disengagement depends on the pressure you're applying on the brake pedal. If one applies the brake full and hard, it disengages fully. But people tend to move in b2b traffic by only modulating the brakes by making use of the creep function. During such instances, the clutch doesn't disengage fully and is the root cause of overheating issues what we keep hearing on DSG/DCT equipped cars.
Absolutely spot on ! This is what I was trying to explain to Sagwal. Thanks for the explanation. DSG is not suitable for those people who are in the habit of riding on half clutch in stop and go traffic and most of the Indians have this habit. Moreover in DSG, the first gear is hardly ever engaged in creep mode and that is why the clutch slippage is more. A you-tuber Prithvi Ray got his Skoda Octavia RS 245, TVS Engineering DSG Mapped. Now his car "activates the 1st gear" which essentially means that below speeds of 10 kmph, instead of engaging the 2nd gear, it engages the 1st gear. Hence there is no excessive clutch slippage and it leads to longevity of clutch plates.

Watch the following video to know more:

shaheenazk is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 17:05   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

VW India group taking off DSG from their Vento, Rapid
and Polo and opting for torque converter is a clear indication that DSG isn't a great choice for Indian city driving conditions. Or were there other reasons too?
I guess the cost of the DQ200 gearbox (perhaps imported) couldn't be justified for the volume and the car prices.
fhdowntheline is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 14:29   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaheenazk View Post
Absolutely spot on ! This is what I was trying to explain to Sagwal.
You were saying that car should in N when stationary at Red Light. I asked only for this situation when car is FULLY stopped. I never commented on bumper to bumper situation as I was aware of this fact.

Shaheenazk Thanks for video.

Now a days DSG shifts to D1 mostly at speed braker, bad road (i.e speed usually less than 10 km/h) and D1 to D2 after 2000 rpm.
I think it is always good to keep in manual M1 when speed is less.
Old 26th November 2020, 19:56   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagwal View Post
You were saying that car should in N when stationary at Red Light. I asked only for this situation when car is FULLY stopped. I never commented on bumper to bumper situation as I was aware of this fact
You are welcome. As regards to putting the car in N when stationary (with the engine running, which I am presuming that is what you mean by FULLY stopped), yes I said that and I still stand by it. Putting to the car to N in bumper to bumper traffic too is good if the interval between subsequent movements is higher than 30 seconds.
shaheenazk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 22:20   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaheenazk View Post
You are welcome. As regards to putting the car in N when stationary (with the engine running, which I am presuming that is what you mean by FULLY stopped), yes I said that and I still stand by it. Putting to the car to N in bumper to bumper traffic too is good if the interval between subsequent movements is higher than 30 seconds.
All the videos of Prithwi Ray are great. His you tube channel is very unique.
sagwal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 21:18   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Got the Seltos detailed (Interior + Exterior) for the 1st time by KAMYO during the Diwali weekend & here are some pics;

Ownership Review: My Kia Seltos 1.4L Turbo Petrol (GTX+ DCT)-150427810a874dafa1175779cfb48098.jpeg

Ownership Review: My Kia Seltos 1.4L Turbo Petrol (GTX+ DCT)-38e4489661e840489595abf6381e90b8.jpeg

Ownership Review: My Kia Seltos 1.4L Turbo Petrol (GTX+ DCT)-ccf12c51c2ea4a5995c6b4c54badd5d3.jpeg

Ownership Review: My Kia Seltos 1.4L Turbo Petrol (GTX+ DCT)-7ab406b99aa74e82b9a698b5d0e230cc.jpeg

Ownership Review: My Kia Seltos 1.4L Turbo Petrol (GTX+ DCT)-5d10f6700ca943198baa4efad99dd5c8.jpeg

Ownership Review: My Kia Seltos 1.4L Turbo Petrol (GTX+ DCT)-1aab38d5c0fb4605be2a006ee4588d7d.jpeg

Ownership Review: My Kia Seltos 1.4L Turbo Petrol (GTX+ DCT)-69ccd5dcc4374e29b600c16e22deed85.jpeg

Ownership Review: My Kia Seltos 1.4L Turbo Petrol (GTX+ DCT)-2baaeb400c6e4780b35974b769e6ba4d.jpeg

Ownership Review: My Kia Seltos 1.4L Turbo Petrol (GTX+ DCT)-07dc62581a2446d1a33b17db681e768c.jpeg

^ Final Result

Last edited by karan561 : 30th November 2020 at 21:19.
karan561 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 11:17   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Recent Trip/Drive Log;

Ownership Review: My Kia Seltos 1.4L Turbo Petrol (GTX+ DCT)-e860e211b5064250b87c3c1db0aa1c4c.jpeg

FE was slightly lower as the car spend around 4 hours on state highway, 3 hours on expressway & 1 hour in city limits.
karan561 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th December 2020, 22:58   #129

I am planning to buy a car. My budget was 20L max.
My usage would be 50%city; 30% highway;20% off road(Leh, spiti terrain)

Will Seltos GTX+DCT work for this end use?

Any major problem with DCT overheating in slow off-roading?
Old 27th December 2020, 07:34   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman33 View Post

The Seltos DCT is not ideal for Leh/ Spiti unless you stick to tarmac .If you wish to stick to a compact crossover, you are better off with the Duster / Kicks CVT for mild offroading. You may stretch a bit and go for the Harrier AT . But if you really like the Seltos I would suggest the GTX Diesel AT as a more reliable option. Again, only useful for very mild soft roading( occasional dirt track). The mud/ snow/ sand modes are just gimmicks by the way.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 27th December 2020 at 07:36.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2020, 08:02   #131
Team-BHP Support

Hey Karan. Great review as always.

One question. With the launch of the new Creta with the same engine and gearbox specs, do you think the paddle shifters and that fabulous sunroof are good enough factors to choose the Creta over the Seltos? Despite the Creta’s oddball exterior styling and (ever so) slightly, less premium interiors?

Thanks in advance.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2020, 08:47   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Will Seltos GTX+DCT work for this end use?Any major problem with DCT overheating in slow off-roading?
I have seen a video of the American AWD Seltos doing mild badroading. The DCT gearbox overheated repeatedly on what i would say are minor inclines.
For reliability in badroading and offroading situations i would only trust a old school torque convertor setup- and that too one that has the engine longitudinally placed. The results in a nice longish gearbox that has enough space for larger clutches and lots of surface area for additional cooling.
sridhar-v is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2020, 14:50   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Hey Iceman, ive had no issues with the DCT overheating anytime so far. My major use is in the city and an odd highway run once in a month or so. For the kind of usage & distances you intend to travel its best to have a diesel (to avoid fuel/petrol quality issues while refuelling in remote areas as turbo petrols are more sensitive to bad fuel IMO) with you for a better range and also a traditional TC gearbox. Hence if you like the Seltos as a package and the GT Line trim then best to pick the GTX+ Diesel A/T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Hey Karan. Great review as always.

One question. With the launch of the new Creta with the same engine and gearbox specs, do you think the paddle shifters and that fabulous sunroof are good enough factors to choose the Creta over the Seltos? Despite the Creta’s oddball exterior styling and (ever so) slightly, less premium interiors?

Thanks in advance.
Hi Axe77, Thanks ! I Personally love the Kia's styling (Both Interiors + Exteriors) hence i'd not pick the Creta just to add some features.
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2020, 14:51   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
The Seltos DCT is not ideal for Leh/ Spiti unless you stick to tarmac .If you wish to stick to a compact crossover, you are better off with the Duster / Kicks CVT for mild offroading. You may stretch a bit and go for the Harrier AT . But if you really like the Seltos I would suggest the GTX Diesel AT as a more reliable option. Again, only useful for very mild soft roading( occasional dirt track). The mud/ snow/ sand modes are just gimmicks by the way.
Yeah, thats what I thought. I am inclined towards Kicks. Drove it, and fell in love with its handling and suspension setup.
The only reason not sure about buying Kicks is that it doesn’t have option to turn off traction control. Not sure if this could be really bad in Leh/spiti trips. I have done these adventurous routes before, but on my bike. And there would be so many places where car would get stuck in mud/snow. Any suggestion on ho to get your car out of these conditions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
I have seen a video of the American AWD Seltos doing mild badroading. The DCT gearbox overheated repeatedly on what i would say are minor inclines.
For reliability in badroading and offroading situations i would only trust a old school torque convertor setup- and that too one that has the engine longitudinally placed. The results in a nice longish gearbox that has enough space for larger clutches and lots of surface area for additional cooling.
I saw that video too. It was scary as the slopes were like less than 100 m long, and I intend to do Leh in my car. Thats why bit cautious about this buy.
What do you think about Kicks CVT, or Jeep Longitude AT? Could these transmissions survive Leh/Spiti?

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Sheel : 27th December 2020 at 15:45. Reason: Mod note attached.
Old 27th December 2020, 16:10   #135
BHPian

Quote:
I saw that video too. It was scary as the slopes were like less than 100 m long, and I intend to do Leh in my car. Thats why bit cautious about this buy.
What do you think about Kicks CVT, or Jeep Longitude AT? Could these transmissions survive Leh/Spiti?
Work out your budget. Kicks CVT is a petrol & 2wd. Jeep Compass AT is diesel and AWD. In tough situations 4WD or AWD will save your skin any day as compared to a 2WD.
Unfortunately I haven't driven either of them, so my opinion is all armchair hype. But if I had to take a blind call I would settle for the Jeep Compass AT.
And keep in mind that my Grand Vitara has spoilt me!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks