Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2020, 20:10   #16
BHPian

Re: Driven: The 2020 Mercedes GLC Facelift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
While on the topic, I am surprised that my newly purchased F-Pace does not have any speed warning chime, its 2019 MFD. All that happens is that once you cross 80 the digital display of the speed font turns from white to orange and again at 120 it blinks and changes color.
What was the month of manufacture? IIRC, this enforcement came into effect from July 2019. Either that, or Jaguar found a clever way to implement it by visuals over audio.
Old 16th January 2020, 20:54   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
[center][b]The best way to enjoy the GLC is to cruise and waft along on the highway enjoying the refinement, but it has to be below 120 km/h, as above that, you will go completely bonkers with the speed warning. All cars now have the speed warning and all have different implementations. But Mercedes has taken things a bit too far IMO. You're listening to music and cruising on the highway when you cross 80 km/h and the music suddenly mutes and there is a warning chime, after which, the music starts again. After a few seconds, this repeats and every few seconds the music will mute, the warning will chime and music will play again. You then speed up a little and cross 120 km/h.
Congrats on an unusually quick turnaround!

Those speed beeps are a deal breaker for me especially in this type of implementation
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th January 2020, 21:33   #18
Senior - BHPian

At this price point, having fake exhaust vents rather than functional ones is not a good design theme.
The same fake exhausts trend seems to be implemented in the new Q3 as well.
Old 30th January 2020, 13:34   #19
BHPian

I remember driving different Mercedes rentals back in the States. Although the Interiors of the GLC/C-Class have started to look old now, I still find them pretty classy. The clean center console has an elegance of its own. Also, I'm a sucker for ambient lighting. The dashboard looks fantabulous with it at night.

Pic credit: Hollman & Pultan.org

Driven: The 2020 Mercedes GLC Facelift-glc-light-1.jpg

Driven: The 2020 Mercedes GLC Facelift-glc-3.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 4th November 2020 at 09:26. Reason: Pictures inserted in-line.
Starfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 15:15   #20
BHPian

Very nice review and relevant comments.

We recently got a 2019 GLC 220d Progressive variant (pre facelift) and after going thru the comments and review, I am so glad we got the older car and that too the progressive variant.

The older model has
1. Burmester music system
2. Normal USB ports
3. No annoying speed warning alarms
4. No SCR and DPF
5. I believe more driving modes? New one has fewer - can someone please confirm this?
6. More responsive diesel engine (despite lower power)
7. With Android Auto, I am able to use voice commands for google maps, make phone calls etc.
8. I have never felt the need to downshift or feel that the gearbox is sluggish during overtakes or tight bends.

One additional point was about the floorboard - I feel its very value added because it makes ingress extremely easy and also helps you sit "in" the seat without causing much strain on the side bolster. I know it is prone to wear and think it may be useful to get in and get out of the car by stepping on that floorboard.

I really concur with Sahil's points about the cost cutting and the wheel size. If I had the choice, I'd go with the 18 inch wheels over the 19.

Mercedes has tried to "fit" in this car in a price range. They could have given more features, but that would have affected the sales of GLE perhaps - but I feel that's poor product planning.

Last edited by nitrogary : 27th February 2020 at 15:31. Reason: added comment on the floorboard
nitrogary is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2020, 15:56   #21
BHPian

I took delivery of a built-to-order GLC 300 SUV 4Matic last month, and wanted to add my 2 cents quickly as I am not able to post a full blown ownership review. I'm in the Middle East, by the way.

My primary requirement was luxury with a bit of mild off-roading, and I considered the following cars before making the purchase:
  1. Range Rover Velar: It was my first choice due to all the customizations available and off-roadability, but the (extremely) laggy infotaiment system put me off. And the touch screen interface for everything means that you have to take your eyes off the road even to change the AC temperature.
  2. Audi Q5/Q7: The Audi dealership experience was terrible. The car was pretty good, but its interiors looked a bit plain jane to me and I felt even the Touareg had similar and slightly fancier interiors. Audi wasn't able to provide any feature customizations (they didn't even have adaptive cruise control) and I wasn't looking to purchase a car off the shelf at the moment.
  3. BMW X3/X5: Seats! Rock. Hard. Wow, I don't know how anyone can imagine sitting in these for hours. I knew German seats were firmer than most, but this was taking it to the next level in the name of sportiness (no offence meant to any BMW owners). Also I'm a gadgety guy looking for the latest functional features in my car, and the gesture system of the BMW iDrive looked very gimmicky to me without providing any real advantage. Plus they weren't able to provide me adaptive cruise control which I badly wanted.
  4. Volvo XC60/XC90: Not in the same league as the Germans with respect to finesse and luxury in my opinion. The interiors looked dated and many latest features were missing.
  5. Porche Macan/Cayenne: I considered these for the longest period. The moment they had a Macan 2020 available for test drive, I went and tested it out. Since my primary requirement was luxury as opposed to driving performance, I was disappointed in the refinement. Example: the lane keep assist system is not a gentle vibration in the steering wheel like other cars I had driven, but it's a very annoying siren-like noise that comes on and interrupts everything the moment your wheels touch the lane markers.
  6. Mercedes GLE: This would have been ideal but as I wanted something with all the bells and whistles, the price of the configured car fast approached a figure I didn't want to spend at the moment.

In terms of configuration, I ticked every box except for the adaptive air suspension. Somehow the Off-Road Engineering package was not getting configured with it, in the system (which is quite strange as the two would have worked so well together). So some of the notable features in my car are:
  • Distance Pilot DISTRONIC with Steering Pilot (Adaptive Cruise control with Active Lane keep assist)
  • Active Braking Assist (cornering, cross traffic etc.), Evasive Steering assist, Pedestrian Warning Assist
  • Active Blind spot assist
  • Route-based speed adaptation
  • Parking Package with Active Parking Assist and 360° camera
  • Traffic Sign Assist
  • 3 Zone Climate Control
  • Multibeam LED with Adaptive Highbeam Assist Plus
  • Off-Road engineering package with underbody protection
  • Head-up Display
  • Burmester surround sound system
  • AMG Line Interior and Exterior
  • Climatized front seats (both heating and cooling)
  • Multicontour seat package with Massage feature in the front seats
  • Original leather interiors
  • 20" AMG 5 twin-spoke wheels
  • Air Balance Package (fragrance)

In my opinion just having the MBUX system just blows the competition out of the water. There are now 4 ways to control every aspect of the car: touchpad on the steering wheel, touchpad on the center console, touchscreen, and voice. Mercedes provides the most convenience and flexibility in this regard. Plus the MBUX keeps my wife entertained during drives, she plays with the ambient lighting and makes it answer silly questions.
The new steering controls are incredibly ergonomic. The next best steering controls is in the Range Rover in my opinion, but it's still a little difficult to do by feel without looking at the controller.

My wife drives a fully loaded Lexus UX200 F-Sport, and a couple of things I noticed that are better in her car are:
  • 360° camera comes on automatically at lower speeds, which is great for negotiating a tight turn or a kerb. Really wish the Merc had this.
  • Seats are so much plusher and more comfortable than the Merc's.
  • You can turn on the cabin lights by waving over them without touching anything.
  • The wireless charging pad is bigger than the Merc's and it's easier to place the phone onto it.
  • You can pull out the sun visors to extend it a bit more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The best way to enjoy the GLC is to cruise and waft along on the highway enjoying the refinement, but it has to be below 120 km/h, as above that, you will go completely bonkers with the speed warning. All cars now have the speed warning and all have different implementations. But Mercedes has taken things a bit too far IMO. You're listening to music and cruising on the highway when you cross 80 km/h and the music suddenly mutes and there is a warning chime, after which, the music starts again. After a few seconds, this repeats and every few seconds the music will mute, the warning will chime and music will play again. You then speed up a little and cross 120 km/h. Now the music mutes permanently and all you hear is the chime. In every other car, you can listen to music with the warning chime going off but Mercedes will ensure you hear the chime and not ignore it by playing music. I know this is a safety norm but nowhere does it say that the audio system needs to be muted when there is a warning chime.
This is not my experience; it may be a regional thing. In mine, the 120 kmph warning just chimes once per trip. There's a warning message in the instrument cluster which can be dismissed by a click of the left-side steering pad, and that's it. Even if the trip is a few hours, there's no chime or message after the first one. There's just a yellow icon on the cluster to remind you that you're above 120 kmph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrogary View Post
5. I believe more driving modes? New one has fewer - can someone please confirm this?
I have Individual, Sport, Sport+, Eco, Comfort, Offroad, and Offroad+.
The 2 Offroad modes replace the Sand/Snow/etc. modes in the older model. However, the infographics screen showing the angle of tilt and climb, and power delivery during off-road, is no longer present in the new model.

Last edited by EagleEye : 30th April 2020 at 16:19. Reason: Points added
EagleEye is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th April 2020, 16:35   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye View Post
This is not my experience; it may be a regional thing. In mine, the 120 kmph warning just chimes once per trip. There's a warning message in the instrument cluster which can be dismissed by a click of the left-side steering pad, and that's it. Even if the trip is a few hours, there's no chime or message after the first one. There's just a yellow icon on the cluster to remind you that you're above 120 kmph.
This is a mandatory rule only in India from last year, however Mercedes implementation is extreme vs others. All manufacturers BMW, Audi etc have the 120kmph beep but none of them mute the audio system for the beeps.

That's why we pointed it out.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 12:48   #23
BHPian

Trying find an India review of GLC 200 Petrol rear-wheel drive. Are there any? Google couldn't help much. Particularly interested in the rear-wheel drive and how it compares with BMW X3 30i.
Old 1st November 2020, 14:40   #24

X3 30i is a driver’s car -
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxur...ml#post4687053 (BMW X3 20d vs 30i dilemma)

GLC 200 is much cheaper and not as much fun. Being careful with money and my on road abilities, I have booked a 200 for myself. Will share more once I have it with me later this month. Heard from multiple sources that availability is low, and fresh lot will come January onwards.
KeeepDriiiving is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 23:36   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk1972 View Post
Trying find an India review of GLC 200 Petrol rear-wheel drive. Are there any? Google couldn't help much. Particularly interested in the rear-wheel drive and how it compares with BMW X3 30i.
X3 is definitely more engaging and a lot more fun to drive. The GLC though not very peppy, makes it up for its cruising capabilities as you build speeds gradually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeeepDriiiving View Post
GLC 200 is much cheaper and not as much fun. Being careful with money and my on road abilities, I have booked a 200 for myself. Will share more once I have it with me later this month. Heard from multiple sources that availability is low, and fresh lot will come January onwards.
Congrats in advance! Do post pics with your GLC FL 200 once you get it. Any reasons opting for 200 Petrol and not the 220D?

Last edited by BlackPearl : 20th January 2021 at 21:33. Reason: Merged back to back posts. Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 01:18   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WheelPilot View Post
Congrats in advance! Do post pics with your GLC FL 200 once you get it. Any reasons opting for 200 Petrol and not the 220D?
Reasons:
1. I started looking for preowned 220d and found a good 2019 piece (i.e. in Bangalore). However even after good negotiation with that owner the new 2020 GLC 200 is just 4 lacs extra. 2020 GLC has features I didn’t want to miss (spare tyre fits under the floor nicely, parking assist, MBUX enhancements)
2. The new 200 is 6 lacs cheaper than the new 220d.
3. My colour choice is available for delivery next week in 200, not in 220d.
4. I’ve never owned a diesel, not a fan, wasn’t looking forward to it. The CRV I’m exchanging is also petrol. So was my first: Santro, and current backup: Amaze.

Key compromise I’ve made: a true SUV must have 4wd that 220d has but 200 doesn’t. I’ve made peace with this. “Mercedes GLC” has more weight than “SUV”. My off-roading is always on my RE Classic 500, never on these expensive vehicles.
Old 4th November 2020, 08:54   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Key compromise I’ve made: a true SUV must have 4wd that 220d has but 200 doesn’t. I’ve made peace with this. “Mercedes GLC” has more weight than “SUV”. My off-roading is always on my RE Classic 500, never on these expensive vehicles.
The GLC FL is a looker for sure and MBUX is fun to have. The parking assist also does its work nicely (parallel and perpendicular parking) but I haven’t experimented much with it. The interiors are classy and elegant. Wish you a joyous buying experience and ownership!

Last edited by aah78 : 4th November 2020 at 09:28. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 4th November 2020, 22:22   #28
BHPian

Quote:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxur...ml#post4687053 (BMW X3 20d vs 30i dilemma)

Congratulations on your new car!!! Please do share your buying and ownership experience.
Old 8th December 2020, 13:46   #29
BHPian

Quote:

I am in the same boat and leaning towards 200 over X3. Can you please share what was the OTR price for you?
Old 11th December 2020, 11:25   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
I am in the same boat and leaning towards 200 over X3. Can you please share what was the OTR price for you?
After discounts it is 62L on-road Bengaluru. New batch will be available in Jan - possibly with new pricing.
I’m getting Hexis PPF done after reading all the in-depth discussions here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks